Profile for Michael J. Valadez > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael J. Valadez RSS Feed (Arizona)

Line 6 POD Studio UX2
Line 6 POD Studio UX2
Price: Click here to see our price
27 used & new from $145.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Snow Leopard (10.6) users beware!, June 17, 2010
A Kernel Panic will surely follow, if you install Line6 software that accompanies this product over OS X 10.6.

I thoroughly enjoy my UX2, now that I've stabilized my Mac. I was thoroughly frustrated for the first few days, trying to get the UX2 to run properly. I suffered two kernel panics in row, all because Pod Farm v. 1.03 installed an extension in my System folder that was not compatible with Snow. Right after the installation, a dialogue box appeared saying:

System Extension cannot be used
The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/Line6Audio.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

The moment I pressed the OK button, that scary translucent shade of gray slowly descended down my Mac's screen, resulting in the computer locking up. My first kernel panic ever since Tiger!

My first problem was I forgot the name and location of the offending System extension causing the trouble. I had no idea my Mac would crash the moment I hit the OK button on the dialogue box.

So I had to restart in Safe Mode (holding down Shift while booting) and began searching for the bad extension. I couldn't find it, nor did the dialogue box appear again, so I was forced to reboot without Safe Mode, hoping the box would show up again. It did and I wrote down the path but, this time there was a kernel panic shortly after I authenticated the deletion of the bad extension.

Ever since, my OS began operating erratically. Shortly thereafter, my internal hard drive failed and I received the familiar question mark emblazoned on a blue folder (that was a first, since the days of OS 9!) indicating the computer could not find a bootable drive, so I slipped my OS DVD in the computer and it booted up, but my internal drive was nowhere to be found. Disk Utility found the drive but when I hit the Repair button, it found several problems and said it fixed them. That evening when I attempted to shut down the computer, the spinning beach ball appeared for the next twenty-minutes. I forced a shutdown by holding the power button for six-seconds and would deal with it tomorrow.

The following day, the drive continued to behave erratically. DiskWarrior found the Volume Bitmap and directories to be royally screwed up, but I'm not saying the OS instability was caused by the Line6 software, but it surely played a role. Back-to-back kernel panics probably left my machine's volume directories and b-trees in a state of chaos.

I went and bought a new external hard drive and restored my last Time Machine backup to the external drive and have since reformatted my internal drive and restored a known good backup from a time before I installed any Line6 software. So far, so good. Of course it's only been a few hours. I have already forgotten how bitter I was at Line6 for putting me through this mess.

I learned a valuable lesson though; Just because the box states the minimum system requirements are OS X 10.4.6 or better doesn't mean it will work with 10.4.7 or higher. Go to their website and download Pod Farm 1.12 BEFORE you think about installing any Line6 software.

Line6 makes terrific products I'm sure, but their documentation sucks. There is no Getting Started guide in the box. There is no manual in the box. There is no warning telling you, if you install their Pod Farm (v 1.03) software on top of OS X 10.6, you will suffer greatly. When you go to their website looking for answers, the moderators talk of software upgrades like it's no big deal. Like they've heard it a million times already and are surprised you aren't aware of the updates that are compatible with SL.

As I said, THEIR software, IN THE BOX, caused me pain and suffering and that software... I just inserted their DVD to check the date of the software and my Finder won't display the DVD! The beach ball is back.

I know the Pod Farm software is dated in '08 or something like that and surely by now they would have updated the damn DVD's in their product. This is so unsatisfactory. I just changed my rating from three-stars to two.

Now I must take my leave to figure out why Finder has stopped responding. Dammit!

Respectfully,

Learning Autodesk Maya 2008, (Official Autodesk Training Guide, includes DVD): The Modeling & Animation Handbook
by Marc-André Guindon
69 used & new from $0.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Learning well will carry you for a lifetime!, September 30, 2008
Official Autodesk Training Guides are a superb investment and this book in particular, is terrific. If you have an intermediate-level of knowledge about Maya, you will find this book moves at a fairly quick pace. Also, if you have a good working knowledge of the Maya interface and its tools, but lack the discipline of a solid production workflow then book will enhance your skills and round out your education.

I am a beginner with only peripheral knowledge of the Maya interface but because the book is so well written I have been able to keep pace and have learned more in the last few weeks than I have gained in the hundreds of hours of parroting the video tutorials available online.

I've spent a small fortune in the last few months buying Maya video tutorials from a couple of different online sources and for the most part, they provide you with all the steps necessary to create the models you see in the videos and expose you to many aspects of the software, but what these videos don't do is explain the "why", which is necessary if you are to grow and take your creativity to the next level.

In all fairness to the authors of these videos, they are working with self-imposed limitations and the knowledge to be gleaned from the videos is only as good as the individual who wrote the lesson guide. Therefore, I decided before I get too far along in my Maya learning experience, I needed a good working knowledge of the fundamentals and who better to provide that than the "official" experts.

Breakout the videos if you want to build a good looking Mitsubishi car in twenty-hours time but buy this book if you plan to "design" the next Mitsubishi car. Therein lies the difference between their videos and this Autodesk series of books; not only do these books explain the "why", they provide the discipline necessary for a dependable production workflow, which is critical if you intend to work in this field.

By the time you finish this book you will know the key concepts and workflows of Maya. You will know the tools and their application. You will learn modeling and animation and understand how they relate to each other in a production pipeline.