Profile for Chris Kennison > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 565

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chris Kennison RSS Feed (Jefferson City, Mo United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
OXO Good Grips Mini Santoku Knife
OXO Good Grips Mini Santoku Knife
Price: $8.20
16 used & new from $6.01

5.0 out of 5 stars QUALITY IN YOUR HAND, October 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Light weight and perceptively flimsy; but as soon as you put it to use, you will no longer think that. This is a great little knife that slices perfectly and being short, compact and about the size of your hand, it is easy to be maticulous and carve clean and perfect. I could fully imagine this knife be the choice of restaurants; much less homes. Being a former restaurant cook, I would have loved to have had this knife instead of the knife I used then. Does exactly what the mind tells it to do.

Mega Bloks Assassin's Creed Gunboat Takeover
Mega Bloks Assassin's Creed Gunboat Takeover
Price: $49.99
5 used & new from $40.00

4.0 out of 5 stars HATS OFF TO BUILDERS OF ACTUAL BOATS, October 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These Mega Blok sets can sometimes be incredibly difficult and this is one of those. I like that it is difficult, but I have to admit when my 8-year old got frustrated, I stepped in and found myself emulating him. "Just relax." I would tell my son, "It's a toy. It's supposed to be fun. If you need help. Ask." And then... "Urrggh. Where is this!?" and being a boat and all, everytime I would try to put a piece together on one side, gripping the boat, I would dislodge pieces on the other side. Then of course you have to tie multiple tiny strings and putting up the sails and mast were like the ultimate patience tester, especially since my son used a piece that was needed for the sail to make the mast more secure. "You can't do that, man. You can't use pieces for stuff if the instructions don't call for it. We'll need that piece for something else."

Once together, we were both pretty proud of the thing. My son is only 8-years old and I let him do nearly all of it. I only stepped in at the end when he was putting up the sails and started getting frustrated. It took him a while; two hours one night and 4 or 5 the next day. I don't mind this because the boy needs badly to learn some patience.

I had to use some small doses of glue though a couple of times because I got tired of already placed pieces coming loose when I or my son were trying to put other parts together. Final product though... great! I only didn't give it a perfect score because once together, it can very easily be ruined with the slightest of rough play.

Mega Bloks Call of Duty Mob Of The Dead
Mega Bloks Call of Duty Mob Of The Dead
Price: $25.49
19 used & new from $25.49

5.0 out of 5 stars MY NEW HALLOWEEN NATIVITY SCENE, October 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a sturdy product with a fun zombie theme. My son put this together in less than an hour and normally with these things I'm skeptic about moving them around because they fall apart or little pieces break off but this thing is an absolute rock. I can pick it up with one hand in its entirety; apart from the zombie characters and move it wherever. Not unlike a Christmas nativity scene, this product will now be brought out every year to celebrate All Hallow's Eve.

The figurines are pretty cool as well. I like that they are slightly flexible and adjustable. The jail cells are operational and there's even a 'hole' there at the top of that staircase you see in the picture that can be used to store undesireable prisoners or even a small amount of candy.

Rachael Ray FoodTastic Party Box, 6.8-Liter, Orange
Rachael Ray FoodTastic Party Box, 6.8-Liter, Orange
Price: $13.61
3 used & new from $13.61

3.0 out of 5 stars GREAT for some, October 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are a lot of benefits to the FoodTastic Party Box, but those benefits also cause some downsides. The benefit is that the design allows you to carry many things all in the same container. There is a tub layer, a tray layer and a cup layer (deviled eggs and/or chocolate strawberries) and they stack beautifully onto each other.

If you make a lot of things for parties and are "that guest" who everybody looks forward to your arrival with big bright hungry eyes than this thing is going to be a god-send for you. If you only need the tray portion, or the cup portion, or just the tub section; you still have to bring the entire container and when you do that, there is a lot of room inside the container for shifting and flipping.

Its microwave, freezer and dishwasher safe and it is made of a nice flexible and light plastic.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
DVD
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars CAREFUL WHAT YOU LOOK FOR, October 6, 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Amazon Instant Video)
When David Fincher ventures into a project, he has the same intent and reliability as legends like Hitchcock and Scorsese carry with them. You can count on the quality of his work because he is precise, vigilant and meticulous about his art. Hitchcock may not have always been perfect, but he strived for it with his screenplays, planning and orchestration of every shot. Fincher is the same. While his movies haven't always been masterpieces, he comes closer than anybody else alive today.

"Gone Girl" is no exception. Every single shot and moment in the movie is not wasted. Every single angle and movement of the film is perfectly timed. Every revelation of the film is perfectly placed in order to make the audience's minds fall right where they should, or Fincher intended. You see, the characters on screen aren't the subject of the film; the people viewing it are.

While the movie is for the most part about a man who may or may not have murdered his wife, the true nature of the movie is about the murder of perception. The lack of perception and reality haunts our everyday lives and Fincher puts that very thing on trial in this movie. That is the brilliance of the book "Gone Girl" and that is why a director like David Fincher had to bring it to life. Nobody else in this day and time would have sufficed.

"Gone Girl" is a vital movie in these times and it couldn't have come along at a better time with everything we have going on in the world. As time goes by and we as people continue to go further and further down into the abyss that is information, "Gone Girl" will be an even more and more important film. It isn't quite a masterpiece, but what is a masterpiece anyway? My perception of a masterpiece may be different than everybody else's.

The Equalizer [Blu-ray]
The Equalizer [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Denzel Washington
Price: $22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars INTELLIGENT and GROUNDED ACTION, September 29, 2014
This review is from: The Equalizer [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Denzel Washington’s “The Equalizer” quietly crept up on movie theaters like his character Robert McCall did in the movie. There wasn’t a whole lot of buzz or hype, just a simple acknowledgement that one of the most reliable film stars in the world was once again at the helm of a film. The less you know about Robert McCall before going into the movie, the better.

“The Equalizer” is a pretty simple movie to explain and it isn’t anything new or ground-breaking. Robert McCall is a simple man, living a quiet life with few belongings and a blue-collar job at a tool and garden type store. Events slowly begin to work their way into his life that change his mild-mannered course and an Antoine Fuqua action movie materializes.

Fuqua sort of jumped ship after his breakthrough film “Training Day” in 2001, but has since returned to relatively decent form with his last two works; “Olympus has Fallen” and now “The Equalizer”. The thing I like about Fuqua’s last two movies is that instead of relying on the ridiculous, like has become the norm in Hollywood, Fuqua tries his best to keep things grounded in reality. Even when it gets ridiculous, and it does, it is still feasible and believable. This is the best part about “The Equalizer” for most of the film.

Denzel Washington brings an extremely interesting and complicated character to a slow and careful realization. As his character becomes more and more involved, the layers that begin to show are the bait and switch to the entire movie and its premise. At 59-years old, he proves that he can still carry an action movie.

The movie is gifted with some outstanding strategy and well-thought out tactics but unfortunately they went a little overboard in the finale. What was a pretty crafty and intelligent filmed cheapened itself with a bunch of gimmicks that we used to see in 80’s Stallone action movies. While these gimmicks weren’t the end all to the film, they kept the movie from being better.

SmartLab Toys Room Defender
SmartLab Toys Room Defender
Offered by goHastings
Price: $26.19
5 used & new from $26.19

3.0 out of 5 stars GREAT IDEA NOT FULLY REALIZED, September 29, 2014
This review is from: SmartLab Toys Room Defender (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have an 8-year old son and since this toy is targeted for 10+, i'd say that this toy is a little over his head. The programming of the multiple functions that it is capable of is a little overly complicated. You can program it as a security system, a doorbell, to be a message center, to register a secret knock, to tell jokes, to read code cards and give specific messages to the holders of those keycards and so on.

Personally, I think this thing is pretty darn cool and instead of attaching it to my kids door, i'm about ready to attach it to the front door so I know when the neighbor kid walks into the house without knocking or exits without shutting the door... wasting my precious overpriced air-conditioning. Sure, it doesn't alert the police or anything, but it has some fairly decent noises that would wake me up from my slumber if some chump tried to come into my house in the middle of the night. It could be a poor man's security system.

It is a toy though and I only give a little warning that your child will love this thing if they're able to wrap their minds around it. My son's patience and intelligence hasn't matured enough. On his behalf though, the ROOM DEFENDER has some problems. First of all, from what I've been able to figure out so far, you can't do multiple programs at the same time. So, if you want it to be a doorbell and an alarm at the same time... too bad. You can't. If your child wants to use multiple programs and functions, then they have to type in a code to switch back and forth between them. The program screen is difficult to read and understand with little tiny icons. Some of these icons are printed on the plastic screen and some aren't. To make it even tougher these flashing numbers and icons that mean a whole lot of if you have the manual in hand are not very vivid and are hard to see. The manual is specific about how to program certain things, but is not specific about how to exit a program or switch between programs.

Finally, I set the room defender up to be an alarm for my son when he went to play in his room. A few minutes later I decided to test it out and see if it would work when I entered his room and it did nothing. It apparently shut down power after a while, which wasn't a very long while. Since my son is 8, I found myself doing all the programming and even I found some of it too frustrating. It's too bad, because this is a fantastic idea but it also has a smorgasboard of problems that make what should have been awesome, ehhhh....

Eton BoostX Rugged 5600 mAh IP65-rated Backup Battery with Dual USB Output and Integrated Flashlight (NBOX5600B)
Price: $48.73

5.0 out of 5 stars EXTRA POWER in a small little package, September 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Been looking for something like this. This battery backup is about the size of the palm of your hand and can easily be carried on travels and give you extra power or unlimited power for you computer or phone. It has a light on it too if you're in a dark place and need to plug in. There is a lot to like about the BoostX and I'm sure I could add more and more stories to this review as I use it, but for now, just the basics.

I also really like that it has a L.E.D. light reading on the top that tells you how much power is in the thing. It has 4 levels of power. I do a lot of location things with a video business and always have to bring all my power plugs and find an outlet, etc. Not anymore. This thing is a god send.

Kid Galaxy Mega Morphibians Amphibious RC Snake
Kid Galaxy Mega Morphibians Amphibious RC Snake
Price: $30.14
6 used & new from $30.14

3.0 out of 5 stars A FEW MINOR HANG-UPS, September 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My son has been playing non-stop with this thing since I gave it to him. I told him to bring it outside and test it and here are some of the things I have noticed. First of all, the remote control battery is hard to get in and hard to get out. Definitely not a job for kids and a difficult job for an adult. The range of the remote is pretty short, meaning that you have to stay pretty close to the thing or the car just stops and waits for you to move closer. That to me is a pretty big deal because it sort of defeats the purpose. The car has some pretty good controls that aren't too hard to get used to and has a pretty powerful drive to its wheels and the terrains that it can handle. It's meant to drive through water as well.

Bottom line though, my son loves the thing. He and the neighbor kid have been having fun testing all the things that it can do, so all the minor little hang-ups are no big deal to him, just to me.

The Maze Runner
The Maze Runner
DVD
Price: $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER BAIT ON A HOOK MOVIE FROM HOLLYWOOD... should you bite?, September 22, 2014
Don't expect anything less from Hollywood when it comes to exploiting an on-going trend that involves lots of money. "The Maze Runner" is another one of those movies based on a series of books that have made movie studios tons of cash thanks to hordes of teenagers with nothing better to do with their allowance. They're not all successful and their not always good. On the positive side; at least people are still reading books.

Going into the "Maze Runner", I had no expectations. I didn't know anything about it and I would recommend you not as well. I think not knowing the mystery behind the mysterious events in the movie was what kept me riveted to the film the entire time. The opening moments of the film throw you the viewer into a strange situation where a young man has no memory of who he is or his name. He is raised from a cage in the middle of a field full of similar-aged boys. Around them on all sides is a huge wall that opens into a maze during the day.

Slowly but surely, the protagonist of the film, played by Dylan O'Brien, becomes more involved in a mystery that has baffled the community of young boys for years. The filmmakers string you along beautifully and I can only assume that is because the book does so as well. "Maze Runner" isn't without fault, but it is certainly as intriguing and full of promise as "The Hunger Games" series is.

I compare this film to "Lord of the Flies" and "The Outsiders" for different reasons. It is similar to "Lord of the Flies" for the subject matter and it is similar to "The Outsiders" because, like "The Outsiders" it is full of a group of fine young actors that will certainly be stars in the future of Hollywood.

As good as the acting is in the film, some of the dialogue does get silly sometimes and I assume that is mostly to stay faithful to the book. Numerous times throughout the film a character will state, "We call that the..." Nearly everything has a name that is really unnecessary, or the name is so obvious it could have gone without saying.

As good as "The Maze Runner" was as an individual movie, a lot of that crumbled away for me at the conclusion of the film. I found the outcome to be tremendously rewarding and at the same time eye-rolling. It's a three-book series, so the movie has to set you up for more to come. In the process, they overlooked some terribly obvious holes in the entire premise. "The Maze Runner" would have been a marvelous stand-alone film, but knowing that the writer used a string-along technique to maximize his profits, cheapens it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2014 1:58 AM PDT