Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for Brianna > Reviews

Browse

Brianna's Profile

Customer Reviews: 227

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brianna RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Changing His Game (The Gamers Book 1)
Changing His Game (The Gamers Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, funny, and sexy read, October 2, 2015
Why I Read This Book: The setup of the IT guy catching Marley looking at a naughty GIF at work was all it took. I pre-ordered this book, something I don’t normally do.

What I Liked: I enjoy reading work place romances. There were a lot of hot, steamy scenes, including one that takes place in the office supply closet. I have to mention Austin’s solo shower scene as well. And the dinner date where Austin just couldn’t keep his hands off Marley. RAWR.

Chad was hilarious with his funny tech puns!

"You sent each other explicit emails for about a week, then he clicked your mouse in a supply closet, and then you two decided to never see each other again."

"He uploaded his data to your motherboard."

I love when one character is hiding something BIG from the other main character. I like to watch it unravel and play out with just the right amount of tension. And that’s what I got here.

What I Didn’t Like: Austin is more of an alpha nerd and I was expecting (hoping for) more of a beta nerd.

Overall Impression: Changing His Game was a good, funny, and sexy read. There’s no information available yet but I’m curious to see who’s in the next book in the Gamers series. My guess is Grant but I’m more curious as to who the heroine will be.

Riding Steele #6: Aftershock
Riding Steele #6: Aftershock

3.0 out of 5 stars Riding Steele reviewed by The Book Vixen, March 19, 2015
Note: Riding Steele is a serialized novel in the Ready to Ride series that is being released in 6 installments, and will also be published in one volume. I am reviewing this serial as one complete piece of work.

Why I Read this Book: First, I have a confession to make: I am not a fan of serials. It feels like a marketing ploy to get more money for what is essentially ONE book and I do not have the patience to wait for the next ‘installment’, especially when being left with cliffhangers. With Riding Steele being the 3rd book in a series, I don’t understand why the decision was made to chop this book up into 6 parts. However, I couldn’t resist reading Riding Steele because it’s an MC Romance and I’m a sucker for those.

What I Liked: I had only requested the first installment, as this is a new-to-me author and I wasn’t sure what to expect being that this is part of a serial, but the writing captured my attention enough for me to quickly request the rest of the installments. Riding Steele has an interesting premise, and I was curious to find out why the bikers would kidnap Laurie, and what would happen with her once they had her in their hold.

There was some interesting backstory with Steele and with Laurie. There’s a sad and unfortunate event that took place in Steele’s life. Laurie is trying to break things off with her overbearing boyfriend. These elements shaped who these characters are.

I really liked and appreciated how each installment started off with the last scene that took place in the preceding installment. While I pretty much read these installments back-to-back, readers who choose to read this serial in installments as they come out will surely appreciate this.

What I Didn’t Like: There was no real hierarchy in the ‘club’ so it didn’t really feel like an actual MC to me. Steele is referred to as the “leader”, not president, and none of the other members had a role in the club. It was just a group of guys, and a woman, who hang out and ride together. Not exactly the type of foundation I look for in a MC romance but I’ll take it. And the way the guys funded their simplistic lifestyle was a bit farfetched. None of the guys had a job, that I recall.

Let’s talk about the sex. I like smut but this was a bit too much for me. Not necessary a bad thing, just not my thing as I prefer one-on-one relationships while Steele doesn’t mind sharing his woman. I hadn’t read either of the other two books in this series, and the blurb didn’t give any hint of how erotic this story is, so I had no idea until about 1/3 of the way into the 2nd installment.

Also, giving someone not one, but two safe words doesn’t sound like a good idea to me. Laurie is not experienced in BDSM, so for Steele to give her two safe words with two different meanings to remember didn’t make sense to me.

And for all the boinking going on, nobody used a condom nor did anyone talk about birth control of any sort. After seeing an orgy take place before her very eyes, I’d have thought Laurie would have insisted on protection. She doesn’t know any of these people, and they’re casually swapping and sharing sexual partners.

Lastly, Laurie and Steele’s relationship was an insta-love, which is not my favorite.

Overall Impression: Riding Steele was a good read though it was a little too bow-chicka-wow-wow for my liking, which I was totally unprepared for as there was NO indication to the level of erotica mentioned in the blurb. But for those who enjoy extremely erotic romance (we’re talking orgies, sharing partners, BDSM elements, and M/M action) and enjoy MC romance, I’d say this is the book for you.

Let’s talk price: If you’re a fan of serials and love the anticipation that comes with them, and don’t mind paying more to be able to read each installment as soon as it comes out ($1.99 for about 35-40 pages, which comes to about $12 for all 6 installments), then I would say to get them as they come out. There were minor cliffhangers at the end of each installment but nothing too extreme that I couldn’t wait a week for the next installment. But if you’re like me and would rather read Riding Steele in its entirety all at once, then wait until the complete novel releases in March 2015 and get it at the discount price of $3.99.

Riding Steele #5: Crossroads

Riding Steele #2: Untamed

Riding Steele #1: Kidnapped
Riding Steele #1: Kidnapped

3.0 out of 5 stars Riding Steele reviewed by The Book Vixen, March 19, 2015

Riding Steele (Ready to Ride Book 3)
Riding Steele (Ready to Ride Book 3)
Price: $9.99

Sons of Mayhem 1: The First Novel
Sons of Mayhem 1: The First Novel

1.0 out of 5 stars Sons of Mayhem reviewed by The Book Vixen, December 17, 2014
NOTE: This book was originally released as a 4-part serial. I only read 2 of the 4 installments.

Why I Read this Book: The first book was (and still is at the time this review posted) a Kindle freebie so I picked it up. Then I had some Kobo coupon codes to use so I also picked up parts 2-4. Let me just note that this is a 4-part serial. I usually do not read serials because (1) the price is too steep for my taste and (2) I don’t like being left waiting, usually with a cliffhanger ending, for the next installment. But because of the great deal I got on the installments and the fact that all four installments had already been released, I went for it.

What I Didn’t Like: There were too many similarities between this serial and the FX hit TV series Sons of Anarchy (henceforth SOA), beginning with Exhibit A: the name. Exhibit B: You have Jase (Jax), the club VP with “dirty blonde hair” and “cool blue eyes”. Brodie (Opie), Jase’s best friend, has “a full beard which hung down to his chest”. Exhibit C: Even some of the dialogue reminded me of SOA. “Don’t worry. I’ve got this.” – Jase (Jax). “What the f*** Jasey-boy.” – Bottle (Chibs). Exhibit D: Some of the Sons of Mayhem (henceforth SOM) members ride Harley Dyna Super Glides, like some of the guys from SOA. Exhibit E: Jase’s sanctuary is on “the roof of the Sons of Mayhem headquarters”. Like how Jax from SOA would retreat to the rooftop of the SOA headquarters for a moment of peace and to collect his thoughts. Exhibit F: “Lonnie and Brodie had a thing going with some women; putting the party chicks to work as they called it, but that s*** hadn’t gotten all that far yet.” – I’m not sure exactly what this means but it sounds a little bit like the Diosa escort business in SOA. Exhibit G: An opportunity comes to the table for a vote for the SOM to distribute Crystal Meth. Like how SOA got into mulling Cocaine. Exhibit H: One of the SOM members was brutally murdered, like in SOA. Bigfella, the president of SOM, was arrested for a double homicide. There isn’t any evidence, yet, but I only read two of the four installments. Clay (SOA’s president) was arrested for triple homicide in season one. Clay was later released due to lack of evidence.

The narration was a bit all over the place. The first installment was completely Nicole’s POV. Part 2 had multiple POV narration from Jase, Nicole, Brodie, and a villain’s point of view.

There were some inconsistencies. In the 2nd installment, the villain rides in a truck that later becomes a van when he exits the vehicle. Then when the villain returns to the vehicle, it’s a truck again. Then there was this line: “As I undid the buttons of his shorts I felt his boxers pushing out.” – I don’t understand how boxers can be pushing out but the reason I’m pointing this part out is because Jase wasn’t wearing shorts, he was wearing jeans. Two sentences earlier was this line: “I let my hand brush against the front of his jeans…”.

There was a character, Johnny, mentioned in the 2nd installment in reference to Jimmy, the deputy. “Jimmy was a classmate of Johnny’s back in school.” I have no idea who this Johnny character is, as this is the first time he has been mentioned but the way it’s worded, it’s as if I’m suppose to make some sort of connection. And speaking of Jimmy, Exhibit I: he’s a childhood acquaintance of Jase. Kind of like Jax and Hale’s relationship in SOA.

Then there was some things that didn’t make sense to me. “He walked towards them confidently, not running or walking.” Say what? And this line: “If that’d boring then I must be an eighty year old grandmother, I’d hate to see exciting!”

Even with all the SOA similarities, the MC life portrayed in the SOM series didn’t feel authentic. There was a scene where Jase used rubber bullets on some intruders. Rubber bullets??

And lastly, this series could’ve really used an editor. In addition to what I’ve already mentioned, there were so many missing commas.

Overall Impression: Reading this series gave me SOA flashbacks, which was distracting for me since I would remember similar moments or characters from the SOA show. The main different between the SOA and SOM is the word “f***”, where it’s completely absent in the TV series and over used in this series. (There were 354 uses of the word “f***” and other forms of the word in the entire 278 pages of this serial.) SOA is big right now, I get that. I also get how readers are enthralled by MC romances. I, for one, am one of those readers. But this series felt like SOA fan fiction. Maybe it was, I’m not sure. Even though I am currently craving MC romances, I want originality. I don’t want the same premise and same characters hashed out over and over. I do not think I will be reading the second half of this series.

If you're looking for a MC Romance to read, I highly suggest Joanna Wylde's Reapers MC series, Kristen Ashley's Dream Man series and Chaos series, and the MC novellas being released by Kati Wilde, Ella Goode, and Ruby Dixon.

Decker's Wood (Kink Harder Presents Book 1)
Decker's Wood (Kink Harder Presents Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Decker's Wood reviewed by The Book Vixen, September 14, 2014
Why I Read this Book: I’ve never read about a porn star before and it sounded like interesting reading material. The cover is subtle, yet eye-catching (isn’t he gorgeous? And did you spy the ladies on the cover?), but the blurb is ultimately what caught my attention. Plus the title made me giggle.

What I Liked: This book was so damn good. It’s not everyday you read a book with a hero who’s a porn star. And not many ladies would be able to handle dating a major porn star (I don’t think I could). But Andi can hold her own. She doesn’t let the girls trying to flirt with Decker intimidate her. And it was fun finding out who knew about Decker’s career choice, and who didn’t – especially when those who didn’t later found out.

Decker’s Wood is told in alternate POV between Decker and Andi, which is my favorite type of narration. It really helped to see how both characters were reacting and feeling when not in the presence of the other.

Casey and Lionel were fabulous secondary characters. Casey was warm, loving, and had a nurturing side. Lionel told things straight up. I also loved Decker’s family – his parents and his two older brothers.

Decker and Andi were a fun, playful pair. There were lots of funny moments, like the Bullshit drinking game and the “helicopter” scene(!!). So many parts in this book made me literally laugh out loud.

On top of the conflict holding back Decker and Andi’s relationship, there was Fabian and Melody Mona. Those two definitely made things worse. But Decker’s groveling proved how well he knows Andi, and he definitely had some groveling to do.

Overall Impression: Decker’s Wood is why I read – for an escape and to live in someone else’s shoes, even if only for a couple hundred pages. I didn’t want this book to end! I wish this book was part of a series because I want more. Definitely re-read material, even for this non re-reader.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20