Profile for Justin T. Melanson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 42

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Justin T. Melanson "Sun Quan" RSS Feed (Tyngsboro, MA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Petmate Jumbo Litter Pan 532362, Colors May Vary
Petmate Jumbo Litter Pan 532362, Colors May Vary
Offered by etopso
Price: $12.35
3 used & new from $7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Does its job and easy to clean, June 20, 2014
I have two cats that are part Maine Coon, so when I saw this, I knew I had to get it. Love that it is easy to clean, and love that my cats can get in and out without much fuss. Add that not a whole lot of litter spills out onto the floor anymore, and it's easy to see why I gave this 5 stars.

MQ01ABD 1 TB 2.5" Internal Hard Drive
MQ01ABD 1 TB 2.5" Internal Hard Drive
Offered by Oceanside Store
Price: $62.96
27 used & new from $56.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Perfectly on PS4, June 20, 2014
I bought this hard drive to install onto my PS4 which I just got not too long ago, and after a few minutes of fiddling around with things, I finally got the firmware installed, updated and ready to go. The system has been running like a top since, and with the added storage capacity, it makes me breathe a massive sigh of relief knowing I will be covered for a long time with all the games I am sure are going to be coming. Plus, at this price for the storage, it's an absolute steal. Highly recommended.

The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
Price: $11.88
88 used & new from $4.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a Masterpiece, October 20, 2013
I will begin by addressing a couple things, first, Layne Staley was one of a kind. He was powerful, and the way he harmonized with Jerry Cantrell back in the day was just something else to behold. I was saddened to hear of his passing, but he did it to himself with the bad choices he made in life. He is definitely missed, and I pray his soul is at peace.

Imagine my surprise though, when I found out that Alice in Chains was reuniting with a new lead singer; a gentleman named William DuVall. At first, upon looking at pictures of him, I wondered if he'd be able to fill in the void that was left when Staley died. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised when given the chance to check out an AiC song featuring him called "Check My Brain", to say I was blown away would be an understatement. DuVall already began showing he had the chops to fill in some big shoes. Though Black Gives Way to Blue was a solid album, I admit, I expected this to be a one-off appearance.

Fast forward some time later, and I found out that another album featuring DuVall as co-frontman was released. How this slipped under my radar is beyond me, but irregardless, I had to go check out some songs from it. Checked out "Hollow" and "Stone", both were awesome, ended up previewing the entire album on YouTube and I was hooked. For me, every track on The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here is excellent. The lyrics are powerful, thoughtful, and actually have a ton of meaning behind them once you get down and think about it. They're the type of lyrics that you actually have to dig beyond the surface to get at the true meaning, but when you do, it all makes sense.

DuVall's presence in this band has evolved, while he's still playing co-pilot to Cantrell, he does have more of a presence here than he did in Black Gives Way to Blue. It is amazing though, how eerily like Staley he sounds. Listen to "Hollow" and tell me that doesn't sound like classic AiC, the same goes with "Stone", both could've been written in AiC's Dirt or Jar of Flies days, keeping that sludge-rock sound they have had for so long completely in tact, though if you ask me "Voices" is another highlight mainly because of how catchy the hook and chorus are. They showcase how Cantrell and DuVall get on well as a harmonic duo. Another standout and pleasant surprise was the song "Hung on a Hook", DuVall takes the position of lead vocalist for this song, and the results just blew me away. This proved right here that DuVall has what it takes to be a lead vocalist. I actually hope for AiC's next album, he has even more of a presence.

Still, as is, this album is nothing short of awesome. In a sea full of garbage music, it's refreshing to hear that AiC still has it, and is still putting out thoughtful rock for us all to enjoy. I truly hope DuVall stays for a long time, he has an awesome voice, can harmonize very well with Cantrell, and is just amazing both in studio and live. In short, if you're an AiC fan, give this album a listen. You won't be disappointed.

Gaiam 53044 GT Xpress 101 Countertop Grill with Recipe Book
Gaiam 53044 GT Xpress 101 Countertop Grill with Recipe Book
Offered by Twigs & Branches
Price: $48.98
27 used & new from $14.50

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this thing, April 27, 2013
I actually ended up obtaining one of these badboys practically brand new at my local Savers for like 7 bucks. Yes, it came with everything, and I get the feeling the sucker wasn't even used until I brought it home to boot. I did read the instruction manual for the sucker, and actually discovered that it is recommended that you treat the badboy between uses by wiping it down with a little cooking oil. I've done so every time, and it does make a difference. I also use cooking spray almost every time I cook with it just to be on the safe side.

Anyway, using the GT XPress 101 has been a breeze, I learned when the thing is fully heated and ready to go and have used the 15 minute limit for just about everything I've cooked with it. Let me tell you, it was a godsend one night when my dad and roommate came home practically famished. I used it to reheat some mashed potatoes and cook burgers that fit in one of the two half-moon shaped chambers. Within 10 minutes, I had dinner ready for both of them as the burgers cooked to rare/medium rare (which they like) within 5 minutes time per half-moon-esque formed patty. Thank God, because it would've taken more time to preheat the grill just to cook burgers on it and I would've had to hear it from both my dad and roommate if they were still hungry during that timeframe.

I've used it to make biscuit and egg creations for breakfast, and also to make cakes with as well. It is so cool that I can think outside the box to create these things, and because of this, I don't feel nearly as much a need to go out to eat as I can come home and within 15 minutes, come up with something creative to cook and put it in my GT XPress 101 so I am not waiting an eternity slaving over a hot stove, and worrying about something going horribly wrong.

I don't get why all these reviews slam this product as I've had virtually no problems with it, the surface hasn't peeled on me (I think my maintenance with the oil brushing is helping) and I look forward to continued use as much as I can. So glad I went to Savers and ended up buying this thing on the cheap. I've had nothing but good fortune with it.

OtterBox 77-24444 Commuter Series Hybrid Case for LG Optimus G LS970 (Sprint) - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black
Offered by Keystone West
Price: $16.06
13 used & new from $15.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits like a glove and makes my phone look damn good., April 8, 2013
Having recently snagged an LG Optimus G directly from Sprint the same day my uncle snagged his iPhone 4, I decided to get Otterbox armour for both after being talked into it. The Sprint associate whom helped us out with signing up was the same person whom installed both Otterbox armour cases onto our phones. I am so glad I did this, because it actually addressed a major flaw in the Optimus G's design. The way the camera sticks out and creates a bump on an otherwise smooth-surfaced phone? Get this case and have the sucker installed. Problem solved.

It helps that it actually makes the phone look pretty damn good to boot, and further protects the headphone and micro USB jacks, as well as the volume control button via special flaps on the case. When studying it, I really feel like my phone is totally safe even if something like having it be dropped were to happen. It is form-fitting, not a single flaw that I can think of, and again, it makes my phone look good.

Thus far, I consider myself quite satisfied with this purchase. I am certain when the time for me to upgrade comes around in a couple years, I'll be looking to get another OtterBox product.

LG Optimus G, Black 32GB (Sprint)
LG Optimus G, Black 32GB (Sprint)
3 used & new from $110.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A monster with some flaws, March 28, 2013
Due to my uncle getting nailed for over 250 a month in bills and the third person not helping with payments at all, we had to make the switch from Verizon to Sprint, this is my second time coming to Sprint so I was very familiar with their contracts and plans. When doing so, I wanted to do my research and see which phone would do it for me before we went out to do the switching of our accounts. After comparing specs, I decided to look at the LG Optimus G. Now LG has a reputation for making shoddy cell phones, so it was to my surprise that this phone had specs better than the Samsung Galaxy S3 in terms of sheer processing power, and doubly surprising that I was even considering an LG product in the first place as I know that in the past their phones really did suck.

That being said, we had trouble getting the ball rolling at Best Buy, so we ended up going directly to the Sprint store down the road to see if we could get different results. I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that I could get the cost of the phone I wanted covered by trade-in credit from the RAZR M. I fiddled around with the display models of the Optimus G, and ended up liking how it felt. My uncle got the original iPhone 4 for himself, so he was good to go. I purchased black Otterbox armour and screen protectors for both our phones that same day, therefore one of the caveats about the phone was immediately solved. It had the Jellybean update ready to install almost out of the box too. Once everything was set, I was ready to fiddle around with the interface of the Optimus G and tweak it as I saw fit. Right off the bat I noticed aside from it's size (and let's face it this badboy is pretty massive, the bezel is also pretty thick too) is how fast this phone goes, good God, this thing CRANKS! Simply put, the quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 clocked at 1.5 Ghz per core makes this badboy an absolute behemoth!

Want to present an argument that a quad-core processor is better than a dual-core processor? This phone makes that case quite easily. It goes from screen to screen, and multitasks easily without breaking a sweat. Literally everything was as smooth as honey butter. Only a few times did I encounter some strange problems but I think that was due to the programs I had downloaded being optimized for older hardware and not even being bothered to be updated, and Facebook did freeze this phone on me once, but after I restarted the phone (which literally took seconds), things were back to being butter smooth and working as perfectly as the Boston Pops Orchestra playing the 1812 overture on the 4th of July!

Over time, I noticed once I figured out how to stop tasks from running in the background, how much smoother things go when compared to even the great RAZR M, a phone I reviewed previously and absolutely adored when I was with Verizon. The extra gig of RAM compared to the RAZR M really helps bolster this phone's case to be the primary phone of choice for those wishing for a powerhouse. It helps that the screen is nice and big at 4.7" and the resolution of 1280 x 720 is crystal clear to boot. Games like The Simpsons Tapped Out, Angry Birds, and 3D Golf all operate honey butter smooth with little to no frame-rate drops whatsoever, and the bigger screen affords me a clearer view with The Simpsons Tapped Out allowing me to more easily manipulate things around the virtual Springfield I am building in the game.

The 13 megapixel camera is snappy, and does it's job very well. Pictures are taken very quickly and I have yet to take a dud with this one yet. Simply a very nice camera built into this thing. Can't believe I am able to effortlessly take pictures in the blink of an eye now. Video comes out clear as well, with little to no stutter whatsoever. This obviously was not a throw-together at the last minute plan either, this was all planned out from the get go. LG went all out here and it shows.

There are three cons, with one of them being sorted out immediately after purchasing the Otterbox Armour case which the representative handling me and my uncle's contract was nice enough to install for us. The Otterbox Armour case actually smooths out one of the caveats with the phone, the way the camera piece sticks out from the backside of it creating a nasty bump. My advice? If you're getting this phone, do not hesitate to get the Otterbox Armour case as it is feather light and actually makes you feel like your phone will be safe regardless of what hell it goes through. It helps that it has rubber padding that allows easy access to the USB Port, Headphone Jack, and protects the power and volume control.

The second con that is a minor one for me, and a major one for others is that you can't remove and replace the battery of this phone yourself. That in itself isn't as big a deal as the battery is pretty solid. I have gotten 8 - 11 hours out of it with heavy use and it could go for another hour before the phone shuts off completely I am sure, the lowest I ever let the battery go was about 11%. Still, a drastic improvement over other phones I had before so all in all I'm satisfied with this aspect.

The other major flaw, however, is what you see is what you get with the onboard memory. It has 32 Gigs built in to the phone itself with 25 gigs of it being usable, much like the Wii U. **LOL** But unfortunately that's it, the Sprint version of the Optimus G has no expandable memory whatsoever (only AT&T has the version with the microSD slot) which is truly a shame. Why they didn't make it that you can use microSD cards with this version is beyond me. Still, 25 Gigs for now is plenty of space to expand for the time being and I don't see myself using up all the space anytime soon. It would've just been nice to be able to put my 8 Gig microSD card in just to access all the songs from it off the bat. It also sucks that you can't remove the battery and replace it yourself either.

Those things aside though, this is such an awesome phone. It is of current one of the best on the market in the US, with the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 being the only other phone with a quad-core processor. Even then, if you can't afford the SGN2 you're not missing much. This is a wonderful phone with all the bells and whistles one can ask for. One of the two caveats is easily solved with the right case (camera), and the other one (storage) still gives you a fair bit of space to use if so needed. I recommend this phone in a heartbeat to anyone wanting a rock solid phone with a ton of processing power that will likely last a long time until the next upgrades come around.

Update: I had my first Optimus G die on me months ago after battery dropped to 0%, got a second one as a refurb. Worked very well, but let's just say my uncle was not very responsible with paying the phone bill whatsoever, and as a result, I ended the partnership of being on the same bill with him; meaning I no longer have this phone, am on my own bill again and have upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S4.

Motorola DROID RAZR M, Black 8GB (Verizon Wireless)
Motorola DROID RAZR M, Black 8GB (Verizon Wireless)
Price: $349.99
16 used & new from $73.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A great alternative to the Galaxy S3, September 23, 2012
Let me start off by saying I was a Sprint customer for 3 years, during that time, their service went from great to serviceable to downright crappy. I had initially wanted to ditch Sprint the moment I found out I was screwed over for even a partial upgrade last year, I was PO-ed when I found out they switched their upgrade cycle once again to a straight-up 20 months and did nothing to rectify the situation. Originally wanting to go with T-Mobile, I instead opted to get on Verizon since my uncle had a line available. I waited until my contract with Sprint was up, which was literally about 13 days ago, before I took the plunge. I also had my eye on the Galaxy S3 too, but I was so desperate to get off of Sprint that I did look at alternative phones. Imagine my pleasant surprise when I came across the Droid RAZR, and then the RAZR M shortly afterward.

Originally I was thinking of getting the RAZR, but imagine my double surprise when I found out I could get 135 bucks on my trade-in towards the RAZR M by trading in my HTC EVO 4G, a phone I reviewed on here a while back. My uncle okayed the transfer, and I was good to go. I am happy to say that the difference between Sprint and Verizon is night and day! I don't worry about dropped calls anymore at my house, since I no longer have to struggle to get a signal, I usually get two to three solid bars. With Sprint I was lucky to get one bar, and it was on "digital roaming", three bars came and went too. 4G LTE on Verizon is readily available and is as quick as greased lightning, to say Sprint is lagging in this area would be an understatement. Also, if I use WiFi at a hotspot like Dunkin' Donuts or McDonald's or in my house, I can disable Mobile Data effectively eliminating the prospect of going over the allotted data plan and the like, and still do the things I like doing on this badboy such as searching on the 'net, Facebook, etc.

Also, while people criticize the cheap feel of the bezel of the phone because of the visible screws on the sides, honestly, I don't pay attention to the screws at all. I am more impressed with the fact that the bezel is almost non-existent, and I find the phone to be sleak, sexy, and feather light. It almost feels non-existant in my pocket at times because it's so light. And yet it sports a 4.3" Super AMOLED qHD Display, and I feel personally it's screen is so much better than the EVO 4G I had before. Yes, I know it's not as good as the screen on say the Galaxy S3, but to me it is a massive step up from what I had before. The battery life on the thing is superb. Had it off it's charger for a solid 12 or so hours one day, and with heavy use, the thing was still holding strong at 35%. With the EVO 4G I was lucky to get half that.

I was told by the salesperson that the RAZR M sported a dual-core 1.2 GHz processor, but did more research and found out it uses the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 chip, the exact same chip employed by the Galaxy S3. I was wondering why games were so ridiculously smooth, playing Angry Birds on this thing when compared to the EVO? Again, night and day. Smooth like butter, not a trace of slowdown. Yes, it doesn't have 2 Gigs of RAM like the S3, but for what it has, it does a wonderful job. Android Ice Cream Sandwich is also strikingly easy to use once you get down to the nitty gritty of it. I love the fact that the BLUR interface Motorola once employed in earlier smart phones is just about gone. The interface is pretty much stock Android, and unlike with earlier versions, it looks damn good and is easy to access.

It took me a bit to get used to having virtual buttons at the bottom of the phone as opposed to physical buttons, and I'm still learning some of the ins and outs of this badboy, but all in all I am extremely satisfied with this phone. It might not be the Galaxy S3, which let's face it, as of this writing is the king of smartphones in terms of features. But what it is, is a rock-solid alternative for those whom want a great smartphone with tons of features on a budget.

Update 10/13/12: I actually found out what a tough little phone this thing really is, during a rainy day, I was cooking burgers on the grill and went outside to go check on them, I ended up slipping and falling on the ramp we designed for my grandmother two times, the second time I hit my back pretty hard. I had my phone with me, and it fell out of my pocket. The thing was completely in tact, not a scratch, ding, dent or anything, and it still works as good as ever.

Update 01/07/13: A few months ago, I had this phone updated to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, while it hiccups here and there, all in all it still holds up remarkably well. I recall it was at the 5 month cycle that I had started having problems with the HTC EVO 4G when I was with Sprint. So far, no problems here at all. It's still as tough as frigging nails, I had dropped it accidentally a second time, and still no damage to the phone at all. Battery still holds up very well too, still getting anywhere from 8 - 16 hours on a charge depending on the usage. I'm quite satisfied, hopefully this badboy will last me until September of 2014 when I am eligible for an upgrade.

Update 03/28/13: Sadly my uncle could not afford the upkeep of the Verizon account even with my contribution, ergo I no longer have this phone. Needless to say I am back with Sprint thanks to this. However, with the trade-in credit from the RAZR M, I was able to get one of the best phones on the market which I will be reviewing. The LG Optimus G.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2012 12:09 AM PDT

Kraft Velveeta Supreme Nacho Skillets Dinner Kit, 15.66-Ounce (Pack of 6)
Kraft Velveeta Supreme Nacho Skillets Dinner Kit, 15.66-Ounce (Pack of 6)
Price: $11.89
7 used & new from $11.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Way better than Hamburger Helper, November 8, 2011
I just tried this flavor of Velveeta Cheesy Skilets along with my family last night, and instead of using ground beef, used ground pork, one can hardly tell the difference between the two nowadays. Anyway, I basically prepared according to instruction, but when adding the cheese sauce from the packet I also added some taco seasoned cheese to the mix and allowed it to all melt and come together. The result spoke for itself, my family and I wolfed it right down. For me, it was quite palletable, very creamy, plenty of sauce and just the right amount of pasta. My grandma and dad both had no complaints either.

Needless to say after trying this and two other flavors, I don't think I'll ever go back to Hamburger Helper again. It's a little more expensive than that brand, but the fact that you need less ingredients (no milk) the cost ends up being cheaper in the end, and you can use that milk for something else that requires it. Trust me, if you do it right and spruce things up your way, this will be something worth buying again and again. I look forward to getting myself a couple more boxes of this stuff in the near future. My tip is to definitely add something of your own to the mix and add some more cheese as well. As is I am sure it's still really good, but it's when you add that special something and make it your own, that the results are worthwhile. I give it four very solid stars.

Arc Rise Fantasia - Nintendo Wii
Arc Rise Fantasia - Nintendo Wii
Offered by BOGO!
Price: $97.99
26 used & new from $28.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid RPG for the Wii, May 11, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I was actually quite pleasantly surprised when I heard there was another RPG for the Wii on it's way to these shores from Japan. After sinking some time into Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (decent game BTW) I was definitely ready for an original IP. I somehow knew this game was going to be something special, even if there were going to be flaws. To say this game exceeded my expectations would be an understatement though. I did not expect the battle system to be as addictive as it is, nor did I expect the music to get stuck in my head like it does. I also didn't expect it to take an element from the Tales series, and use it to great effect.

Gameplay wise, it's quite a traditional JRPG. Walk around the overworld map to get to your next destination, whether it be a town or a dungeon. Fight some battles and grind your characters by battling foes and bracing for a difficult boss battle ahead. However, the battle system itself is quite refreshing. It's a combo of Skies of Arcadia meets Grandia with it's own uniquue twist, and it works very well. I believe other reviews have gushed about the battle system so I personally won't drone on and on about how deceptively complex it really is. It's weird that it's simple to use, but there's ALOT of strategy behind it. You also need to be careful with your magics as well, you can't spam spells on enemies unless you got plenty of MP recovery items on you.

I will warn you right now, this game's bosses are HARD! I can't remember the last time I ever got a Game Over while fighting the first boss in an RPG. Yeah, this game is no walk in the park. But you know what? That's not a bad thing. If anything, it shows how the game really forces you to think and strategize with your battles.

In my first paragraph, I stated this game took an element from Tales. It certainly did in the form of skits. Skits are little bits of dialogue that you can press a button to see, in this case it's button 2 on the Wii Remote. These skits actually do alot to flesh out the characters as a whole, and actually even have some light-hearted moments between them too. I can't blame the developers for borrowing this element as it adds alot to the cast of characters.

Speaking of the characters, I have to say that I actually have warmed up to them. There's something about Ryfia in particular, her genuine naivity but also her determination and belief makes me somehow like her. And the voice overs? Yeah, they're really bad to start out with, but believe it or not as you progress further in the game the voices do improve in terms of quality. Dunno why the quality was not consistant throughout, but yeah the voices are certainly not great, but at the same time not the worst I've ever heard, that honour goes to Evergrace on the PS2.

Graphically this game has alot going on. The overworld map is very detailed and looks amazing. It's very organic looking, you can actually see lots of trees sticking up from the ground, different elevations on the landscape, and monsters roaming the fields for you to do battle with, some in herds, some as single monsters. Simply put, the world map is definitely a highlight of the game graphically.

The towns? Some are simple and straightforward, others seem to be bustling metropolises packed with lots of people. All in all though, they are pretty good looking if I say so myself. The characters are quite detailed, having facial expressions in battle and the like. Spells look quite alright, especially the main character's I also like the costume designs as well, even the extra bonus ones I have seen in skits at times. Somehow they are very befitting of each character, which I find to be quite cool. Ryfia's one piece bathing suit in particular is fantastic and fits her right on the money.

Audio wise, well, I already touched on the voice-overs. I can assure you I won't be ranting on about how perceivably "bad" they are, like I said I heard WAY worse. The music though, pretty fantastic stuff to say the least. Composer Yasunori Mitsuda is the main guy at the helm, though there was a team of two others as well, I forgot whom they are. But the music is excellent, the battle theme hits the right notes, and alot of the themes actually fit the mood right on the money. Simply put, your ears are in for a treat with the music. I don't feel you'll be disappointed at all.

All in all, this is a solid game and a great one to add to your Wii collection. Especially if you're an RPG junkie like myself. I'd definitely recommend this one to those looking for a lengthy and engaging adventure and can put up with a couple flaws. Other than those flaws though, this game hits it out of the park. Five stars I am giving this because I feel it deserves it.

Angry Birds Rio (Ad-Free)
Angry Birds Rio (Ad-Free)
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Loses Some of it's Charm, March 29, 2011
This review is from: Angry Birds Rio (Ad-Free) (App)
Angry Birds Rio is a decent game that functions much the same as regular Angry Birds does. The main difference being there's no pigs. The game loses alot of its charm without them. Rovio needs to bring the pigs back. I love their snorkeling, taunting laughter. This game isn't much fun without them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5