Profile for S. Kat > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 31

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Kat RSS Feed (A place where the sun don't shine)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Panasonic RPHJE450R Headphones
Panasonic RPHJE450R Headphones
Offered by EA Electronics
Price: Click here to see our price
30 used & new from $21.89

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok at best, May 10, 2014
I had an 3-4 year old pair of Panasonic headphones I purchased on a whim from a brick and mortar store (so no researching at all), which were around 15 bucks which I liked FAR more than these headphones.

The balance is just plain off on these. I tried each size earbud for at least 30 minutes just in case somehow, in someway, I didn't get the fit right the first time (I did). Properly fitted these headphones have the bass turned up way too much relative to the highs and mids. Mid tones are softer than they should be as well relative to the highs. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have the song sound as the musicians and their sound engineers intended thank you very much. Avoid these headphones.

Green Lantern
Green Lantern
DVD
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much more, October 17, 2013
This movie probably unfairly gets scathing reviews, but that doesn't mean it is great. It is just not that good.

How We Decide
How We Decide
by Jonah Lehrer
176 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars As I was clueless about the field before reading, thought it was great!, April 3, 2012
This review is from: How We Decide (Paperback)
Some reviewers have stated this book does not bring enough new information to the field. Most books don't, for any field. But it didn't matter to me since I was completely ignorant in this area. This was enlightening, with information laid out logically with clear and effective prose. Too many science authors get bogged down in minutiae, or go off on usually non-helpful tangents, which distracts from the message. Lehrer stays on point.

If you are coming at this not from a science perspective, but a general interest or even self-help perspective, be glad this book is based on science, on credible evidence, and not some author's fantasies.

The Charisma Myth: How Anyone Can Master the Art and Science of Personal Magnetism
by Olivia Fox Cabane
Price: $18.09
54 used & new from $6.68

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't you hate being manipulated?, April 2, 2012
Sure, each of us would like to have more charisma, because it means more influence over others. On the other hand, most people detest being tricked. This book was released recently, and amazingly, the day following release, a dozen glowing reviews appeared. Many by people who have never reviewed before on Amazon. The next day, more reviews by first timers, all at 5 stars. The next day, even more. Why this book must be flying off the shelves! Reviewed by speed readers, who were so amazed by the content that they decided to make it their first review! Or perhaps something else is going on here. Something to influence at the expense of truth or authenticity.

So before you purchase this book, think about what you see here. Think about the flip side to this book, the trickery, the undue influence not coming from you, but at you. Would you take kindly for someone using tricks on you? Would you support a book that endorses such tricks?
Comment Comments (16) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2013 11:45 PM PDT

Mozart: Requiem
Mozart: Requiem

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, February 24, 2012
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem (MP3 Music)

PS - Amazon lists this version 3 ways. Here, with as an imported CD, and also as Mp3s. The third listing is another imported CD found here: http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Requiem-Hanno-Muller-Brachmann/dp/B0000007BI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330099613&sr=8-1

Mozart: Requiem K.626 / Kyrie K.341
Mozart: Requiem K.626 / Kyrie K.341
Offered by skyvo-direct-usa
Price: $16.05
18 used & new from $11.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, February 24, 2012
I only have one other recording of this (by Bernstein) but I have heard plenty of other versions in full or in part. I recently purchased this CD and Herreweghe's version here is by far my favorite. Good tempos (not slow as molasses), great balance between the orchestra and the choir, and, hey it is actually recorded well. I don't know how many times I have been told a version is 'good' or the 'best' only to listen to it and be shocked by the poor recording / sound quality. This is the one to get. (This version is also sold in MP3 form under another link: http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Requiem/dp/B0012X4EWO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1330099242&sr=8-3 )

Home Cookin'
Home Cookin'
Price: $10.54
47 used & new from $4.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Jimmy Smith is the man., March 10, 2010
This review is from: Home Cookin' (Audio CD)
I am always shocked over how little attention this guy gets. 'Home Cookin', 'Back at the Chicken Shack' and 'Midnight Special' are all fantastic, laid-back swinging albums. Everyone who has ever heard me play any of these albums has liked them. Even people completely ignorant of jazz.

Midnight Special
Midnight Special
Price: $12.02
56 used & new from $5.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album., March 10, 2010
This review is from: Midnight Special (Audio CD)
No one else reviewed this because Amazon did not transfer the reviews from the earlier version of this CD for some strange reason. Here is my original review:

"It is surprising that Jimmy's 'Back at the Chicken Shack' has so many more reviews listed than 'Midnight Special'. This album is just as good as or better than Back at the Chicken Shack. If you love one, you'll love the other. If you have neither, buy both for crying out loud - they're excellent."

Flowers for Algernon
Flowers for Algernon
by Daniel Keyes
Price: $8.31
139 used & new from $2.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Book iz based on my tru story!, March 9, 2010
This review is from: Flowers for Algernon (Paperback)
They awthor caled the man Charly but meye reel name is Steve. The mawse was named Bertha i dont no why the awthor changd that two. one time i peed in my pants.

Catch-22
Catch-22
by Joseph Heller
705 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Why are you bothering to read the reviews?, March 9, 2010
This review is from: Catch-22 (Paperback)
This book is a classic. Catch-22 is on all of those Top 100 books of the century lists. Just start reading the damn thing already! Jesus!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4