Profile for Chelsea Biondolillo > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chelsea Biondolillo RSS Feed (Phoenix, AZ USA)

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS THIEVED RIP OFF, February 18, 2014
I own this mug... well, I own the original. Bought from The Rumpus, an independent literary journal. Go to their site and buy this mug, because it supports WRITERS who every day have to get up and muster up the heart and soul to sit down and write, even though they may not get paid... because jerks like this "seller" choose to steal work rather than create or pay for it.

This vendor has stolen this design, and is taking money from writers every time they sell one. DON'T BUY IT. PLEASE.

My Pretty Pony
My Pretty Pony
by Stephen King
39 used & new from $54.00

5.0 out of 5 stars An "art" book not a coffee table book, May 21, 2013
This review is from: My Pretty Pony (Hardcover)
This book is not an "over-priced coffee table" book or a horror story as mentioned in previous reviews.

This is a book co-created by an author and an artist. It is intended to be a work of art that combines textual and visual elements to present a viewer and reader with a message. Yes it is expensive, and anyone who sees the imaging and production value will get why. It is over-sized, well constructed, and gorgeous in a late '80s playing with graphics and text kind of way. Kruger's images are iconic and set a standard that many have followed ever since.

The story is not scary, it about a kid and his grandfather and a watch and not taking a single minute for granted. It is King's attempt at something more than pulp horror, and that is commendable. But the story is only half of the deal. Barbara Kruger's images are the other half.

Don't buy this if you "only want to read the story"--I agree. Buy this so you can own a fantastic piece of art history at a damn good price.

AUDIO TECHNICA ATN3600L Replacement Stylus for The AT3600L
AUDIO TECHNICA ATN3600L Replacement Stylus for The AT3600L
Price: $11.99
38 used & new from $11.15

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Sony replacement, July 3, 2012
After reading several reviews, I decided to try this out as a much cheaper alternative to the SONY PS-LX250H replacement needle. After reminiscing all night with my Blondie, Bowie, and Beatles albums, I can say it sounds pretty good, but as one reviewer pointed out, it has no needle protection bar--This means you need to be careful, but it also means the arm is lighter, so mine has been bouncing more than it used to. I have yet to figure out how to compensate for this.

On really clean records, it's no problem. But some of the older stuff is skipping more than with the previous needle. (Also, when it arrived, it did not look like the product image: it was bright yellow with no emblem.)

As far as the shipment goes, it was fast and moderately-well packaged.

Soaked, Slathered, and Seasoned: A Complete Guideto Flavoring Food for the Grill
by Elizabeth Karmel
Price: $14.96
95 used & new from $0.03

4.0 out of 5 stars The only one you'll ever need, July 3, 2010
Elizabeth has done it again. There is a picture of this book under the word "comprehensive" in the dictionary.

She's covered every sort of seasoning for meat (and veggies) that you can imagine: from marinades and rubs, to glazes and chutneys--it's all here. I love the clear and concise recipes and her conversationally warm tone throughout. She genuinely seems to care whether or not you have fun grilling. Do you want some Latin flare for your next Cinco de Mayo cookout? How about a Polynesian glaze for your roast pig? It's IN THERE! Plus, she covers simpler classics that make the scaredy-cat cooks feel smart enough to improvise. (I will say that twice when I thought I was "improvising" I was just making one of her other recipes--cause this book has every marinade you can imagine.)

The only possible improvement I could imagine for this book is to make it more kitchen friendly. I use mine so often and it is not easy to keep it open!

If you like grilling, and want to grow your repetoire past oil/pepper/salt/teriyaki sauce--this book is indispensable, easy to follow, and it will grow with you over time. Like my Joy of Cooking and my Fannie Farmer, I consider it a classic.

Hanafuda the Flower Card Game
Hanafuda the Flower Card Game
by Japan Publications
23 used & new from $16.40

3.0 out of 5 stars Well thought-out manual for Hanafuda, July 7, 2008
This book covers the basics of Hanafuda in easy to follow text with plenty of pictures.

You will learn how to identify the cards, build sets, score, and several variations. The most space is devoted to the standard 3-5 player game of Hanafuda (the Japanese version).

The only drawback that I could see was that there was not enough space given to more of the variations. Specifically, I was interested in the Godori (or Go-Stop) rules used in Korea. But the book title is Hanafuda, so I shouldn't have expected them there. I had also heard that there is even a way to use Hanafuda cards for a solitaire game--this wasn't covered in the text.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2008 11:31 PM PDT

The Best of the Best of Electric Company
The Best of the Best of Electric Company
DVD ~ Jim Boyd
Offered by Best Bargains Inc
Price: $9.28
59 used & new from $0.95

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a let down compared to my memory, September 17, 2007
It is the Electric Company, alright-- and your favorites are here, "Easy Reader", "I'm the plumber, I've come to fix the sink", the silhouettes that sound out word pairs (like ggggg- oat, gggg- reat, ggggg- one) etc...

It is all kinds of supa fly and SOOOOO 70s. But, as an adult I notice the "economical" sets and low-tech special effects more than the groovy retro vibe. I think there are more effective videos to teach reading out there, and the Muppet shows and School House Rock stand the test of time better for entertainment value.

The most interesting aspect of the show that I certainly never grasped as a little kid: the cheesy innuendos. It made the first watch thru moderately funny, but not enough so for me to watch it again.

I will be most likely to play this on a TV with no sound during a party.

Sony PS-LX250H Automatic Belt-Drive Turntable (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Sony PS-LX250H Automatic Belt-Drive Turntable (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars My old records are back!, December 16, 2006
I just received the Sony PSLX250X as a gift and I couldn't be happier. It took about 5 minutes to set up, and the sound quality is great.

Calligraphy Kit (Walter Foster Drawing Kits)
Calligraphy Kit (Walter Foster Drawing Kits)
by Arthur Newhall
23 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really *complete* but could be worse, March 5, 2004
I was excited to get a 'complete' kit for beginners, as that is what I am to calligraphy--a total novice. Instead of being pleased, I am mostly annoyed that I need to go out and buy a whole new "beginner's kit" of all the things this one is lacking.
The Pros:
* The booklet is small and gets to the point. There is not lengthy history of calligraphy as an art form to wade through before you get to the actual instruction.
* The construction of the "book" (actually a book shape that holds the booklet and all of the pens) is very good. I haven't lost any of the pieces yet.
* The pens seem to offer the experienced beginner several options with nib size and colored inks.
The Cons:
* The booklet tells you about letter spacing in one paragraph. So it is insinuated that "round" letters should be bigger than the other letters so that they appear truly round, but you only get one example, and it never comes up again. There should have been a practice sheet with a few vertical lines as well as horizontal, to help you get the hang of the spacing.
* The booklet does not show you the letterforms as they should be sized in relation to the practice sheet. Again, you get one example showing you the relative height of capital and lowercase letters, but you don't get to see a whole alphabet sized up against the practice sheet gridlines.
* The most frustrating thing: there is a single sheet of paper with gridlines, that you place under the practice paper--but the "practice" paper is so heavy that you cannot see through it! You can only see through the nicer parchment that is provided. So I have used up all of my parchment with practice work.
* The alphabets in the book are very simple (good for a beginner) but also very boring--I would have liked to see at least one really beautiful curvy alphabet at the end to look forward to...
* Beginners are encouraged to use the felt-tipped pen to get the hang of letterforms before moving on to the nib pens--so why not have two felt pens (a thick and a thin) and two nib pens instead of only one thick felt and three nibs?--I am still just a beginner!
* There are no instructions for how to clean the pens or switch from one colored ink to another. There must be tricks or techniques that I should be using.
Final thoughts: This was a great idea that was poorly executed. I think beginners would be more frustrated by their limitations with this set than inspired to progress.
I am buying a couple of Margaret Shephard books to get (a) more alphabets, and (b) more in-depth spacing and construction help, as well as trying to track down a big pad of practice paper and some more felt pens.