Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Profile for R. Gallo > Reviews

Browse

R. Gallo's Profile

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. Gallo RSS Feed

Dynex DX-DA100611 - Video cassette adapter VHS-C to VHS
Dynex DX-DA100611 - Video cassette adapter VHS-C to VHS
2 used & new from $39.95

5.0 out of 5 stars VHS-C Adapter, November 18, 2010
I don't know what all the fuss is from everyone on this product. If you have ancient Compact VHS (VHS-C) tapes and need to play them, you need this adapter. It works fine and is idiot-proof. Put a battery in, open the cover, insert your VHS-C tape, close the cover, let it do it's thing for a few seconds (moving the tape to the proper position automatically) and put into your VCR.

I would suggest making copies of your tapes to DVD ASAP, because I would not rely on this as a long term solution to watch your memories over and over. I think the whole concept is kind of silly, but this is 1980's technology so what do you expect.

Gold Label Mini Musical TV with Scrolling Scene, Red TV
Gold Label Mini Musical TV with Scrolling Scene, Red TV

1.0 out of 5 stars Pure Junk, January 9, 2009
Threw mine away, was a total piece of junk. Both did not work properly out of the box. Waste of money, cheap imported garbage.

R/C Gut Wrencher with Rechargeable Battery Pack - Orange (49 MHz)
R/C Gut Wrencher with Rechargeable Battery Pack - Orange (49 MHz)

1.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but not built tough enough to take it., June 8, 2007
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This toy is fun while it worked, I will say that. However, after a few uses, it fell apart - the rear wheel falls off the axle because of a crack inside the metal part that holds it (apparently only by friction) onto the axle. The wheel will not stay put now, it just comes off while the car is moving and the car stops dead in its tracks. Any toy that was designed with stunt driving in mind (the instructions encourage doing stunts, tricks and flips) should be built tougher than this. How do you explain to a kid that they can't play with their new toy that they just got because it already fell apart??

Briel ES42F Artemis Pump Espresso Machine, Black
Briel ES42F Artemis Pump Espresso Machine, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A VERY nice little home espresso machine!, February 4, 2005
I purchased this machine while it when it was $79.99 on sale a few weeks ago. I really didn't know much about this company Briel, but for the price I thought I would give it a try. For the price, I am pretty happy with this unit so far. It heats up fast & has plenty of steam available for frothing. My shots have had a good creama on them and are very enjoyable to drink. The controls are simple to operate. Remember, this is not a high end machine and has mostly plastic parts, but I think the internals are well made.

Making good espresso requires a combination of few variables, the machine being one of them. Since this is not a fully automatic machine, the skill and technique of the operator come in to play. You need good fresh beans and a decent grinder to process them. Many of the cheap coffee mills (blade type) are not able to produce a find grind necessary for espresso. You need a good conical burr grinder, and many times these can cost as much as your espresso machine. After reading some reviews on CoffeeGeek.com, I decided on a Capresso 560 model. Pretty decent grinder for the money so far. You need to experiment before you will find the grind setting that works best for you.

After you grind your coffee, you must tamp it into your filter basket. Proper tamping technique includes applying a certain amount of pressure to the coffee (30 pounds). Unfortunately, the tamper that usually comes with this and most other machines is a cheap piece of plastic that doesn't do the job - my advice is to get a better one. For this machine, I was unable to use a 55mm tamper, so you need one a little smaller, 53mm or 54mm should work if you can find them. When you dump your used coffee out, you should get a pretty solid and dry "puck" of grinds. If not, either you are not tamping properly or something is wrong with the level of grind you are using.

Espresso is made with very hot, but not boiling, water. It helps to heat your cups up before using them. Some machines have cup storage above the unit which does this job, however this unit does not. I usually just fill my cups with water and nuke them for 30 seconds or so before I use them - this works fine for me.

There is another way to make good espresso with this machine with much less effort. You can buy coffee pods that look like little ravioli's that are premeasured ground espresso wrapped in filter paper. Just put one in your basket and pull a single shot - I have had excellent results using these, they are very easy to use and require no clean up afterward. The only downside is that they are more expensive to use.

Overall, very happy with this machine and I plan to drink lots of good coffee in the many months to come!

LG Electronics L8004R Digital Display 8000-BTU Room Air Conditioner with Remote Control

2.0 out of 5 stars An A/C that is VERY noisy, July 21, 2004
I purchased this from Amazon back in May 2004 for use in a bedroom. LG air conditioners are normally supposed to be pretty quiet according to Consumer Reports. This unit cools the space just fine, BUT I have a problem with the quality control of this item. This air conditioner has a severe internal vibration problem that causes the external plastic parts to rattle, shake and buzz and make anoying noises whenever the compressor kicks in. These noises are IN ADDITION TO the normal air conditioner noises that you would expect. This has disturbed my sleep over the course of the last few weeks. Since I didn't use this much when I first got it, this problem was not very obvious. Now it's past the 30 day return period, so I am stuck with it. It recently developed an additional high pitched squeal from inside that sounds like crickets chirping.

Over the last few weeks I've had to fiddle with this thing repeatedly to try to stop the noise. I used pieces of foam, double sided tape, and other assorted items to wedge into whatever spot seemed to be making noise at the moment. There was no perfect solution - whatever helped one time didn't help the next time. I have even used earplugs on some nights just to get back to sleep after waking up from the noise it makes.

I called LG and their solution is to have an "authorized repair center" check it out under warrantee. After waiting 10 days for my scheduled appointment, the service person spent 5 minutes and told me that these horrible noises I was hearing were "normal" and left. They are certainly NOT normal noises. I got so annoyed and fed up that I finally went to a store and bought a different air conditioner by another manufacturer.

I can't recommend this unit based on these problems and furthermore I really don't recommend buying an item like this online either. If you have a problem within the return period, you are probably on the hook to pay for the return shipping, and with a 50+ pound item, it will be pretty expensive. I thought I was saving a few dollars and getting a good deal, but in the long run I have a $200 piece of junk that I cannot use any longer in the application I needed it for. Now that it has been removed from the window, I am still going to persue getting it repaired, but as far as I'm concerned it's still going to be too little too late.

Factory-Reconditioned Cuisinart DLC-2FR Mini-Prep Processor
Factory-Reconditioned Cuisinart DLC-2FR Mini-Prep Processor

2.0 out of 5 stars Get your EAR PLUGS ready for this hunk of junk, December 30, 2003
OK, so what do you expect for $10? Well, a unit that does not MAKE YOU DEAF when you use it. The decibels this thing puts out are totally OFFENSIVE to my ears, I cannot believe that a product that sounds like this would be sold by any company. I called Cusinart and let them hear my unit - they then let me hear one they had over there - the both sounded the same, very loud and obnoxious. My ears are still ringing almost 5 minutes after doing the demo for them on the phone. So now unless I want to spend $7 to ship it back to Amazon to get my $10 back, I just take the loss. :-( I don't think I will consider Cusinart products again in the future.

The Ultimate History of Video Games: From Pong to Pokemon--The Story Behind the Craze That Touched Our Lives and Changed the World
by Steven L. Kent
Price: $15.83
91 used & new from $8.64

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate History of Video Games aka The First Quarter, November 8, 2001
This is a very good book on the entire history of the video game craze up to the present. Lots of good interviews and tid-bits to enjoy. I just wish that I had known that this book is essentially the EXACT SAME BOOK as Kent's other title, "The First Quarter" which was published last year I believe. It even says this on the title page of this book. Since I already have that book and have already read it cover to cover, this book really doesn't add much more to the equation. Still worth reading, though

Classic MTV: Class of 1983
Classic MTV: Class of 1983
39 used & new from $0.31

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a real FIND!, December 28, 2000
This is a great collection and worth every penny. There is a good range of material available on these 2 CDs, and it is worth adding to your collection if you are missing those good old days of the 80's new wave and rock! I only wish this CD was part of a collection of CD's, like Class of 82, Class of 84 etc, because if it was, I would buy them for sure!