Profile for Aunt Cynthia > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Aunt Cynthia RSS Feed

No Stress Chess
No Stress Chess
Price: $13.99
74 used & new from $9.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Ages 7 and WAY up!!!, March 5, 2006
This review is from: No Stress Chess (Toy)
I am 51 years old. This afternoon, after my 19-year-old finished a game of "real" chess with his 6-year-old cousin, Cousin's twin sister challenged me to a game. "Sorry, sweetie," I said. "I don't know how to play chess."

"But, Aunt Cynthia," she said, "It's No-Stress Chess. You don't have to know how!"

"But chess is very confusing to my poor brain, dear," I told her.

She sighed and said, very patiently, "But it is NO STRESS. I can teach you!"

Far be it from me to let down my niece! With a little bit of encouragement from my sister, the next thing I knew, I was sitting on the floor (more comfortably than I have in years!), taking instruction in No-Stress Chess.

Long story short -- I am buying this game! Within 10 minutes, I had overcome the long-ago trauma of my one and only chess lesson (35 years ago), and I was getting the hang of which pieces moved which directions and how far. My niece did win, but not by much, and not because I let her -- she's just had more practice! By the next time we visit, in a couple of weeks, I intend to be able to play her to a draw, and maybe by our birthdays this summer, I'll be able to play "real" chess! This is not a "dumbed down kids' game" -- it's a super teaching tool, and I highly recommend it!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2013 3:37 AM PST