Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Profile for Lorna L. > Reviews

Browse

Lorna L.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lorna L. RSS Feed (Seattle area, WA)

Above All Things
Above All Things
by Tanis Rideout
Price: $15.36
99 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I can still feel the frozen tears on face., July 9, 2014
This review is from: Above All Things (Paperback)
This review is based on the publisher's preview of Above All Things. My 14-year old daughter and I chose to read this book together because it promised a compelling and complex story behind the failed Everest expedition of 1924. I must say that we went into this story with the firm knowledge that it is historical fiction. Anyone who chooses to read historical fiction needs to acknowledge and embrace the "fiction" of it. We were in it for the story, not exact historical details.

Ms. Rideout's approach to this story gives these very human characters -George and Ruth, as well as Sandy Irvine - a fullness that is often lacking in a true biography. Isn't that much of the reason some of us love historical bios? Ruth's misgivings, fears, doubts, and emotional outbursts seemed so very real to the life she had chosen to live as the great love and wife of a man who was born with the blood of adventure and exploration in his veins. If their actual letters to each other portray their love, his need to conquer Everest portrays that part of him that she could never hope to hold. Ruth's frustration and fear are palpable even as she tries to stoically live up to her role as the supportive wife of her very public hero; her public self is often at odds with the private woman and mother who wants to be with her husband and have him home with his children.

The very detailed description of the climbling party's struggle to reach the summit left us feeling cold and breathless. I could almost see the blinding whiteness and feel the blood freezing in my veins. I felt a shortness of breath as they labored step by step up the mountain. And even though foreshadowing of tragedy looms throughout much of this story, I still found myself hoping they would make it back down - this man who made Everest his mission and the young man who wanted his own place in history. Ms. Rideout had me feeling anger at the losses experienced by those left behind, yet deep sympathy for George and Sandy. I wanted to travel in time to be with these two men in their last moments, to witness how obsession can carry one to great heights and then smash one's very life into oblivion. I wanted to ask them whether they made it - was it all they hoped it would be? The loss of a party of Sherpas in an avalanche earlier this spring makes the dangers of all of the courageous and risky attempts to reach the summit of Everest all the more real.

At the end, my daughter and I sat silently - trying to put into words how poignantly moving this story is. My daughter phrased it best, I think, when she said: "that was a full story."
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2014 1:18 PM PDT

Brain Spanking - Volume II:
Brain Spanking - Volume II:
Price: $3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars None, December 24, 2012
I love witty writing, amusng observations, clever puns, and a bit of bawdy humor, but I could not make it through the first quarter of this «book.» If you like crude humor, senseless statements, lots of foul language, and minimal challenge this free book is for you. Otherwise, save your Kindle space.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2014 1:19 PM PDT

The Umbrella of the Gardener's Aunt Is in the House, a story for Christmas
The Umbrella of the Gardener's Aunt Is in the House, a story for Christmas
3 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh the marvelous 70's, June 22, 2012
A friend just returned my copy of "The Umbrella of the Gardner's Aunt is in the House." Now I remember that I forgot to tell you how I absolutely loved it. Rushton Howard captures to perfection the 60's/70's of my child- and teenhood with constant references to the music and television genre of those years. It is a quirky, farcical, bordering sacreligious, absolute riot that brings faith home where it belongs! It brought me home too! I did find myself wondering whether there are some autobiographical comparisons to be drawn between the author and a certain main character who happens to be an artist as well. If the perplexing title at all piques your curiousity, dig in. It is worth a read through!

Melitta 12-Cup Coffee Brewer
Melitta 12-Cup Coffee Brewer

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! I'm looking forward to my morning coffee again!, October 3, 2011
Got this a little over a month ago to replace my old 10-cup Kitchenaid which made mediocre coffee. I had resigned myself to believing that coffee at home just can't taste as wonderful as at a coffee shop. I can't believe the difference! I am using the SAME coffee in the SAME amount, but it tastes like a whole new cup of coffee: warmer, richer, bolder flavor with real personality! I believe this Melitta makes the difference by:
1. Cone instead of basket filter = bolder, richer flavor. I think that the grounds are better saturated with less scattering in a cone vs. basket filter.

2. "Keep warm" feature lets me choose how warm I want my coffee kept after brewing. I've found that the medium setting keeps it perfectly piping hot for me.

3. "Brew strength" feature lets me decide how much oomph I want my cup to have. So far, "Regular" has resulted in such a superior taste to what I had before, that I've not even tried the "Bold" or "Robust" settings.

Other plus points: I have fewer spills filling this water tank; the carafe has a well-defined pour spout so I don't drip; parts are easy to clean up.

No problems so far, so I hope that this will be the one!

Medelco 10 Cup Glass Eurostyle Universal Replacement Carafe - Black
Medelco 10 Cup Glass Eurostyle Universal Replacement Carafe - Black
Price: $7.84
18 used & new from $6.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine carafe, but did not fit my 10-cup Kitchenaide, October 3, 2011
I called Medelco about this being too short with too small an opening for my older 10 cup Kitchenaid. They said that if I modify my coffee maker by removing the arm that allows you to remove carafe while coffee is brewing that it should work. I took a look at my coffee maker & decided that even if I did that there is still too much distance from where the coffee spurts out to the tiny hole in the repacement carafe lid. The Kitchenaid lid had holes set in a depressed ring that was about 2 inches across. This has a single small hole dead center. I think I'll have a mess. Amazon took my return with no problem. I went for a new coffee maker since Kitchenaid no longer makes this specific carafe.

Ponyo Film Comic, Vol. 1 (PONYO ON THE CLIFF)
Ponyo Film Comic, Vol. 1 (PONYO ON THE CLIFF)
by Hayao Miyazaki
Price: $9.99
53 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Daughter loved it!, January 8, 2011
Ordered this for my 10-year old daughter from her wishlist. She loves the comic style of the story; it is a relaxing break from regular text-style books. She especially loves the friendship aspect of this story. She is a BIG Hayao Miyazaki fan - loves his films. He has an uncanny way of communicating with children on an intelligent, caring level. The film comic is a really easy and personal way for her to bring the story with her rather than watching the movie. I suspect she will be adding to volume 1!

Bones: Season 1
Bones: Season 1
DVD ~ David Boreanaz
Offered by Brandon's House of Fun
Price: $14.69
45 used & new from $4.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent, witty, funny!, September 30, 2008
This review is from: Bones: Season 1 (DVD)
This is a unique series based on a book by a real life forensic anthropologist. I have laughed, cried, and marveled at the storyline, the chemistry, the quirky character development, and the amazing technology and thought processes presented in forensic crime solving. The action is fast-paced yet intelligently developed. I'm so happy that there are writers out there who haven't totally bought into the "dumbing down" that is so typical of television these past few years. It can be graphic at times (dead bodies, right?), so I wouldn't let the kids in on it. Enjoy!