Profile for R. H. Anderson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. H. Anderson RSS Feed (Alexandria, VA)

Storm Creek Men's Ivan Quilted Packable Jacket, Electric Blue, X-Large
Storm Creek Men's Ivan Quilted Packable Jacket, Electric Blue, X-Large
Price: $31.86
2 used & new from $31.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Good jacket at the right price (less than $40), December 29, 2014
Great value at $36--I would not pay more than $40. I've owned this about a year now. Good for moderate temperatures (I wear it between 30-60 degrees F) and brief periods of light rain/snow. I keep it by the door to grab or stuff into a backpack for commuting or errands if the weather looks to turn while I'm out. Very lightweight and packable (stuffs into its own pocket or luggage/backpack easily without too much bulk). Fit is just slightly large (perhaps 1/3 - 1/2 size)--I got the XL and it's roomy with the sleeves about 1/2 inch too long (I have a 48 inch chest and 35 inch sleeve length). You can see in the photo accompanying the listing that the sleeves hang just below the waist cuff (which itself hangs low--a couple of inches below the line of my hip joint). With my arms hanging loosely at my side, the sleeve reaches all the way down to just below the knuckle on my thumb; with arms extended straight ahead or to my side, the sleeve pulls back to my wrist joint. The cuffs are elasticized (not too tight) and this negates the sleeve length issue for me. The "Electric Blue" is *very bright* blue--not really my taste, but the "coal" (gray) and "coffee" (brown) colors were $70; while not reflective at least the blue is more visible and provides a small extra margin of safety in the times I'm most likely to wear it (fall/winter/spring early morning, early evening, overcast).

Hind Men's Tahoe Hooded Softshell Jacekt, Black, X-Large
Hind Men's Tahoe Hooded Softshell Jacekt, Black, X-Large

3.0 out of 5 stars Good jacket--different from other Hind gear, December 29, 2014
It's slightly oversize, which is okay since it's sort of meant as a running shell. I own a lot of Hind gear--the logos, details, and tags on this item aren't like any of the other gear. If it weren't sold by Amazon directly, I would strongly suspect it was fake.

Hind Men's Olympia Softshell Jacket, Charcoal, X-Large
Hind Men's Olympia Softshell Jacket, Charcoal, X-Large

3x TomTom VIA 1605TM 1605 M TM WTE LIVE 6" 6-Inch GPS Navigator Premium Clear LCD Screen Protector Cover Guard Shield Film Kit, 100% fit, No cutting (3 Pieces)
Offered by GUARMOR SHIELD
Price: $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT correct for the TomTom VIA 1605!, January 8, 2013
The screen protectors delivered do appear to be cut to fit the screen correctly, but have holes in the center of one end as though for an i-Phone/i-Pod. Definitely NOT correct for the device. Returning to seller.

Averatec AV4155-EH1 13.3" Laptop (Turion64 MT-30, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, Multi-Format DVD+/-Burner)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good notebook at economical price, September 5, 2006
I have owned this notebook for over 5 months now, and admit to some trepidation over the negative press Averatec seems to get from Amazon and CNET users alike. I travel at least twice monthly and take this notebook with me--the primary reason for the purchase was the impressive light weight and features combined with a bargain price. I am a full-time graduate student who also holds a full-time job--money is not an issue, but I don't throw it around casually. I could easily have affforded a much more expensive bit of kit, but chose to roll the dice on something more sensible. While I don't do a lot of multimedia-type computing (mostly e-mail, web-browsing, word-prcessing, powerpoint, etc.), this notebook seems to be up to the standard tasks. I've had no problems viewing DVDs and listending to music both on CD and mp3/wma.

Most things electronic either die in infancy or run forever--it may be I've been fortunate to get an example of the latter. The dissatisfied reviewers here are either victims of notebook infant mortality or use their computers very hard (i.e., they abuse them).

The details: 1) excellent clarity in the display--only one dead pixel in the center of the screen which is totally unnoticeable unless you are viewing graphics or videos that are predominantly in the darker region of the spectrum; a non-issue, as far as I'm concerned. 2) the touch pad is set a bit heavy-handed from the factory, but some tweaking made it very useable. I primarily use a mini-mouse through one of the USB ports which are conveniently located on either side of the machine--very convenient and allows me to configure the notebook to best fit whatever impromptu workspace presents itself. 3) the keyboard is just right for me--I have large hands and the 'board is big enough that there is no cramping and ample space to rest my wrists without fouling the touchpad or any of the keys. 4) battery life is acceptable for me. The longest I've run it on battery is 2.5 hours and there was still over 25% remaining. I turn the display brightness down to minimum (it's still quite useable in normal indoor lighting or on a plane) and generally do not use the dvd/cd player in these situations, so ymmv. I generally use it on the AC power supply and let run on battery all the way to failure once each month to keep the battery conditioned. 5) this notebook has been rock-solid reliable through 5 months of regular use. The only time I've dealt with tech support was within the last week--I wanted to verify the correct RAM specification for an expansion to 1GB from 512MB, which I will install after it is out of warranty (it's DDR 333 PC2700 200-pin SODIMM 2.5v 64-bit, in case you're curious) 6) I use the built-in wireless as my primary connection at home and while travelling (T-mobile HotSpots) and have had zero issues with it. The hardware off switch on the front of the case makes life very easy for frequent flyers like myself. 7)To be fair, I have not used the PC card slot or the MMC/SD slot so cannot verify that they work with no issues. Given my experience with the machine so far, however, I am unconcerned and confident they will work flawlessly if called upon.

I am running XP Home as installed on delivery, along with Office 2003--no issues with either. My primary browser is Mozilla Firefox, again with no issues.

Bottom line: I'd recommend this notebook to anyone who asked my opinion of it. I've used more than 10-different laptop/notebook PCs in 12 years travelling all over the globe including all the major brands you can name. This machine has met or exceeded all my expectations and definitely holds up to the competition.