Profile for Matt > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Matt RSS Feed (Virginia)

Empire of the Sun [VHS]
Empire of the Sun [VHS]
VHS
Offered by booksbyhobbes
Price: $4.75
62 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Forgotten Classic, June 21, 2000
This review is from: Empire of the Sun [VHS] (VHS Tape)
The first time I ever saw this film was just last year when I was 15 years old. I had never even heard about it until I watched the Making of Saving Private Ryan. This documentary played a clip of some of Steven Spielberg's movies set during World War 2.
When I heard the beautiful John Williams' score play on my TV and a boy watching a lone fighter plane soar across the runway, I was immediately captivated and sat in awe as this boy cheered on the fighter plane. I immediately rewound the tape and read the title of this clip: Empire of the Sun.
I quickly ran to my local Blockbuster and rented the movie not even knowing what the film was about and was witnessed to the most amazing film I had ever seen!
The performances were top notch and the performance from the young Christian Bale, who plays the young boy, Jim, forced in a Japanese Intern Camp, is the greatest performance by a child I have ever seen, exceeding that of such names as Henry Thomas (E.T.) and young oscar nominee Haley Joel Osment (The Sixth Sense).
The movie itself is a visual masterpiece with never a dull moment. This movie contains some of the most memorable and beuatiful scenes I have ever seen anywhere. The story itself is full of drama, action, and suspence that captures your heart and never lets go even after the end credits are rolling!
As usual, John Williams delivers with one of his greatest scores ever. The visual effects are astounding and perfectly executed to enhance the storytelling of the movie.
I disagree with some of the negative reviews that plague this underrated epic. Many people before its release expected it to be this huge blockbuster stemming off as an adaptation of a book by the same name. How can anyone expect a movie about a boy torn from his parents and forced to live in a Japanese Prison Camp, get cursed and beaten at and forced to eat bugs and potatoes for years to be a huge blockbuster. Many people attacked it for its lack of commercial success.
While this may not be the most historically accurate film in the case of how horrific the conditions of the prison camps really were, this would only destract the audiance from what the film should be and is, a film that begins tragically but ends up being a coming of age heartwarming epic drama about a boy forced to live and grow up fast under the harshest of conditions and yet triumphs against all obstacles.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2013 7:59 PM PST