Profile for Lindsay Gardner > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lindsay Gardner RSS Feed (Santa Monica, CA)

Ike's Bluff: President Eisenhower's Secret Battle to Save the World
Ike's Bluff: President Eisenhower's Secret Battle to Save the World
by Evan Thomas
127 used & new from $2.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Evan Thomas changed my mind about Ike, October 10, 2012
My parents met campaigning for Adlai Stevenson in the mid-1950s and were linked by their disdain for Eisenhower. I grew up learning how the 1950s were a do-nothing decade and how Ike golfed and napped through his Presidency. Ike always suffered in my parents' comparisons to President Kennedy: classless, inarticulate, and complacent.

But Evan Thomas has changed my mind on Eisenhower. Ike was so much more than his carictiture - competitive, decisive, angry, driven - and with a world view that was almost always dead-on. Thomas is among our most gifted biographers - he brought to life for me someone with extraordinary capacity to think, process and maneuver - but who had some real limitations in his ability to persuade and inspire.

I've already sent two copies to friends.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2012 8:31 AM PDT

The Unsimple Truth
The Unsimple Truth
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely blew me away, June 17, 2012
A friend recommended the book to me and cautioned that it might not be for me. "It's risque' - it deals with sexual fluidity, choices, and challenges around those choices." While there are some steamy sex scenes, there's not a single word that's superfluous nor an encounter that's gratuitous. Every page drives the story forward towards a riveting conclusion. This is a remarkable book by a first-time author that stuck with me for weeks after I was finished. I found myself caring about several of the characters, hoping for a happy ending, and even identifying with a few of them. These people were real, they came alive to me. Some people can write men, some people can write women - Renee LaCour appears to have equal facility whether writing men, women, straight, gay - and all that's in between. If Amazon sold the physical books, I'd be buying a few copies as gifts. Good going - let's see the next book!

80: From Ben Bradlee to Lena Horne to Carl Reiner, Our Most Famous Eighty Year Olds, Reveal Why They Never Felt So Young
by Gerald C. Gardner
Price: $22.48
69 used & new from $0.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and joyful, September 23, 2007
I've now sent this book to three people as gifts. This is a marvelous gift from all these famous 80-year-olds, to tell their stories of how they got there. Because each profile is in the first-person, I really feel as though I got to know many of these extraordinary people.