Profile for Kioak Paik > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kioak Paik RSS Feed

Olympus E-PL5 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 14-42mm Lens (Black)
Olympus E-PL5 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 14-42mm Lens (Black)
Offered by Midwest Photo & Video (Tax Free)
Price: $369.90
11 used & new from $299.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera in a small body, December 20, 2012
I'm a longtime point and shoot user upgrading for the first time with this camera. I bought it with the Panasonic LUMIX G 20mm f/1.7 Pancake Lens and have been pretty happy with the purchase so far. My first impressions are below. Note that I'm not a pro photographer.

Things I like:
- Image quality is great. Despite some of the features I don't like about this camera, this was the single strength that convinced me to keep it.
- Great color reproduction. Colors are warm and vivid without being over-saturated.
- Super easy menu system. I picked up on the basic navigation quickly without opening the manual.
- Pretty fast shooting. I love using the touch screen focus shooting.
- The body is fairly compact for a camera this high quality. I wanted something I could fit in a relatively small purse and tote around easily on trips.

Things I don't like:
- Less than optimal way of manually adjusting aperture, shutter speed, and exposure. I have to click the up/down or left/right button once just to get into the "edit" mode and then again to actually change the setting. The process feels amateurish like the designers didn't fully think this through. On the plus side, there are customizable buttons on this camera so I can choose to map aperture or shutter speed to them and avoid the two-step clicking.
- The flip out LCD is a bit awkward to flip out. It takes multiple steps and more force than you'd expect to get it out (just watch any youtube video on this). Also, the screen is thick and adds a lot of bulk to an otherwise slim body. I almost think it would be a better camera without it.
- Is it really too much to ask in this day in age for my camera to be wifi enabled and play nice with my other electronic devices? For those of you who are looking forward to the wifi enabled memory card, you'll have to keep in mind the card doesn't come in the box. You have to get it through a mail in rebate and wait 8-10 weeks.

The other mirrorless camera I was seriously considering was the Sony NEX 5R. While that camera had many more bells and whistles, I ultimately chose the Olympus for two main reasons. (1) Better lens selection. Yes, Sony will make more lenses eventually. But the NEX line has been around for years now and their Marketing department is probably going through some extreme verbal gymnastics convincing people to keep waiting. (2) Despite the smaller sensor on the Olympus, a number of reviews I found said the image quality is only slightly better on the NEX.

Overall, I'm really happy with the Olympus and can't wait to take some amazing pictures with it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2013 7:02 AM PST

Dr. Scholl's Tri-Comfort Orthotics Inserts, Women's Size 6-10, 1-Pair Packages (Pack of 3)
Offered by AmericaRx
Price: $21.46
17 used & new from $18.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Never get tired of walking when I wear these, December 20, 2012
I highly recommend getting these inserts! With these in my shoes, I could walk all day without feeling any pain.

I was on the fence about this product after reading some of the less than stellar reviews but I'm really glad I bought them. Here are some experiences I've had in response to some of the other reviewers' concerns:

It's true that the inserts will move forward in your shoe because of their short length. I haven't found this to be a problem because I just place them all the way back into position right before I put my foot in each time. The insert will stay in place while you're wearing the shoes.

It's also true that the arch might be a bit high. I have smaller than normal arches and I'll admit these inserts did pinch a bit at first. Sometimes, I felt like my foot was seesawing over the arch as I walked. But they eventually reshaped themselves and are perfect for my feet now. You just have to wear them.

They had a strong rubbery smell at first but that went away quickly.

LeSportsac Classic Hobo,Bejeweled,One Size
LeSportsac Classic Hobo,Bejeweled,One Size

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, roomy, versatile, December 20, 2012
This bag is perfect when you're packing a lot of stuff and need more room than a small purse can give. I'm planning on using it while travelling and I'll be able to fit a large camera in there along with my everyday necessities. The material feels nice and zippers run smooth so it feels fairly well made. I've also gotten complimented on it because it looks so cute.