Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more
Profile for Chris > Reviews

Chris' Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chris RSS Feed (New York, NY)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft, comfortable and wash well, October 27, 2014
Was really torn between buying disposable pads and washable ones. I'm so glad I tried these, they are incredibly soft and I love that they launder so well. I stick them in with our regular laundry and they come out perfect every time. Big fan of these!

East of Eden
East of Eden
by John Steinbeck
Price: $14.68
1009 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This book transports you back to the turn of the century, June 3, 2004
This review is from: East of Eden (Paperback) the Salinas River Valley in California. Steinbeck is a master at developing characters so well that you think you actually know them personally half-way through the story. This is the tale of multiple families, from all over the country, who end up in the Salinas Valley. Their reasons for settling there vary from honorable to despicable. Steinbeck's storyline mimics the one of Cain and Abel throught he lives of brothers in the book on the Trask side. There are other families and characters that add a richness to the environment as well, such as the Hamiltons, Abra, and Lee the faithful servant. As you follow the lives of the Hamiltons and Trasks, you can't help but wonder if any of this kind of thing really took place back then. I learned alot about farming and days when automobiles weren't around. It was a great read, and an unexpected surprise.

by Michael Crichton
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
417 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to snuff, June 3, 2004
This review is from: Prey (Mass Market Paperback)
Have you ever read any other Michael Crighton novels? If you have, dont' expect the same suspense, well thought out action sequences, and character development that are usual fixtures in his works. Prey seemed like it was thrown together hastily. It's as if he didn't have a lot of time to get the book together, and this was teh finished product. The dust cover is pretty snazzy though...

The Da Vinci Code
The Da Vinci Code
by Dan Brown
Price: $17.57
3820 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book, September 26, 2003
This review is from: The Da Vinci Code (Hardcover)
This was my first time reading a book by Dan Brown. I finished the book very quickly because I couldn't put it down once I started it. I had never heard of all the intricate histories of the Holy Grail and the Church conspiracy theories that went along with it until reading this book. Not only does the plot really keep you hooked, but you learn a ton about Christianity and Leonardo Da Vinci in the process. Definitely the best book I have read in over a year. I would recommend this book to everyone I know.

Life of Pi
Life of Pi
by Yann Martel
Price: $19.08
302 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Rudyard Kipling Would be Proud, November 25, 2002
This review is from: Life of Pi (Hardcover)
It took me three weeks to finally find this book. It flew off the shelves like hot cakes once it won the Man Booker Prize in England. However, once I got my hands on a copy, I read it from cover to cover. From the very beginning, Martel is able to enticingly draw the reader into a world that most of us in the western world have never seen before. His travels in India are apparent in the detail he uses when describing Pi's hometown of Pondicherry, and his talent for developing the main characters is done very well in my opinion, delivering enough detail to make it extremely authentic, but not overpowering the reader at the same time. Martel's style is simultaneously powerful, confident, and unassuming.
The "meaty" part of the book is used to describe Pi's incredible (and harrowing) journey across the Pacific Ocean in a lifeboat with a tiger. Don't let the description fool you. This book isn't sweet and cuddly; as is apparent by Martel's description of Richard Parker and his various companions on the lifeboat. This journey is one of life and death.
I've never read anything quite like "Life of Pi", apart from Kipling. This is on the same level in it's fableistic qualities. Instantly a classic in my opinion, it won't ever be outdated. This is the type of book that could be read a hundred years from now and still be great. 5 STARS!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2011 1:18 PM PDT

National Geographic Photography Field Guide: Secrets to Making Great Pictures
National Geographic Photography Field Guide: Secrets to Making Great Pictures
by Peter K. Burian
215 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Book if You Want to LEARN, October 29, 2001
I waited about 6 months to buy a photography book after purchasing my first SLR. Now I know that I waited 6 months too long to purchase this book. This book is great for everyone from the beginner to the intermediate/advanced photographer.

I find myself in different photographic situations all the time. Whenever I cannot quite figure out what the correct exposure should be or what film speed will provide the best medium, I take out this handy little book and simply look it up.
Not to mention the fact that the pages are absolutely filled with incredible pictures by these two famous photographers. It reads like a novel, but is jam packed with valuable information and tips. A "must have" for anyone that wants to take captivating photographs.