Profile for mickey71 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 197

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

mickey71 "mickey71" RSS Feed (Chicago, IL United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Children of Henry VIII
The Children of Henry VIII
by John Guy
Price: $20.93
71 used & new from $0.89

4.0 out of 5 stars A very succinct, short read on Henry's four children, April 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you are a novice Henry VIII scholar or just want to know a little about his children, this is the book for you. At just 198 pages before the notes and references, it is short and immensely readable. It does not give nearly as much detail as, say, the Alison Weir book of the same title (which may be a plus for some readers). And unlike Weir's book, it barely touches on Jane Grey. Mary, Henry Fitzroy, Elizabeth, and Edward are covered. The book is handled chronologically, so, for example, Mary is covered throughout as opposed to having one section dedicated to her.

For those who have read lots of Henry-related nonfiction, this may not give you much new information. However, it is a quick and enjoyable refresher, so I still recommend it.

Simple Radiance Wipes, 25 Count
Simple Radiance Wipes, 25 Count
Price: $4.97
11 used & new from $2.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but not special, April 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These wipes are nice, convenient, and work fine. They don't seem to have any special particular effect on my early 40s skin.

However, A family member in her early 30s is having fantastic luck with these Simple products. She's had terrible skin problems all her life; first with acne, now with excess drying from Acutane. However, many products STILL make her break out, even while she tries to deal with the dryness. The Simple products seem to really help her skin issues. So if you have problem skin, you might want to give these a try.

Oxo Good Grips Measuring Cup Set, Stainless Steel, 4-Pc
Oxo Good Grips Measuring Cup Set, Stainless Steel, 4-Pc
Price: $19.95
21 used & new from $13.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, just what I wanted!, April 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These measuring cups are great! I wanted a new set that wasn't plastic with markings that would rub off. I also didn't want a set with a line to fill to instead of filling all the way and leveling off. These are very sturdy and have nice handles; they also come easily off the ring without a fuss. Also easy to clean.

Burt's Bees Lip Gloss, Autumn Haze, 0.2 Fluid Ounces
Burt's Bees Lip Gloss, Autumn Haze, 0.2 Fluid Ounces
Price: $6.80
21 used & new from $1.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Really nice for the price,, March 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I admit it: I am a lip gloss addict.I have tons of glosses, usually in this color family. I would put this one somewhere in the middle of the pack, and that's pretty good for the price! Its consistency is medium, maybe somewhere close to that of Bare Escentuals Buxom (but without the plumping/menthol feel). Thinner than Nars (but what isn't?) and thicker than some of the Cliniques I have, which are admittedly older.

It's a very neutral color, but not just sheer or nude. It's got a little bit of a spiced hue on my very pale lips. I think it is similar to Buxom Lola.

Staying power isn't too bad. It lasted for a couple hours.

It's not the king of lip glosses...that goes hands down to Nars...but if you don't want to pay $18-$24 for lip gloss, give this a try.

Olay Age Defying Sensitive Skin Night Cream 2 Oz
Olay Age Defying Sensitive Skin Night Cream 2 Oz
Offered by True Beauty Brands
Price: $10.45
35 used & new from $8.88

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifesaver, March 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I use this cream at night in conjunction with the Olay Total Effects daytime cream, and my skin has never looked better. The one-two punch has really helped my dry, sensitive, early-40s skin this winter! I do like the Total Effects night cream a little more than this one, though. The Total Effects one seems a little thicker, a little more moisturizing. I would probably recommend Total Effects slightly over this one, but either one is a winner.

Olay Total Effects 7 In One Moisturizer + Serum Duo With Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 15 1.35 Fl Oz
Price: $13.91
24 used & new from $6.04

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 stars! Amazing!, February 27, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I just can't say enough good things about this moisturizer's effect on my early-40s skin. I've been using it for about a month now, applied every morning straight out of the shower, and I can't believe the difference! My skin has become moist but not greasy, more elastic, the texture is something I thought I'd never see in my life, and the tone has evened out.

I will be interested to see if it makes my skin too greasy in the summer, but right now, in the harshest time of winter, it has just been amazing.

OXO Good Grips 3-in-1 Egg Separator
OXO Good Grips 3-in-1 Egg Separator
Price: $4.95
19 used & new from $4.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, February 27, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I wanted to replace my old egg separator, which had a handle that didn't fit across any bowl. I'm so glad I got this one! I've tried it on three different bowls, two with weird-sized rims, and it fits on all. I'm not a professional (or even very accomplished) cook, so the egg cracking feature is great for me. And the piece that catches the drips is a very welcome addition.

Rurouni Kenshin Live Action Movie [Japanese Audio with English Subtitles] [All Region]
Offered by Fantabulous Entertainment
Price: $20.99
5 used & new from $12.97

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite characters come to life, February 20, 2013
As a huge fan of the manga and anime, I absolutely loved this movie. I love how the writers wove a couple of storylines together, and am very grateful that they included Saito even though he's not supposed to come in until the Kyoto arc.

The actors are fantastic; truly the characters come to life. Takeru Sato as Kenshin perfectly embodies the gentle goofiness of the wanderer, and then switches to the deadly cold-blooded focus of the Battosai. It's seriously like he becomes a different person. My other favorite standout is Yosuke Eguchi as Saito. He is just SO Saito! In the battle of Toba Fushimi, when he's walking around slashing people while smoking a cigarette...so very Saito. But that is not to shortchange the other actors. They were all perfectly cast.

*****SPOILERS FOLLOW*****

The major arc of the storyline is the Kanryu Takeda arc, but with Aoshi and the Oniwaban replaced with Jin-ei, so those two stories are woven together. The introduction of Sanosuke is abbreviated, but still satisfying. Yahiko gets little screen time, which is just fine with me.

The problems I have with the movie are so picky they're hardly worth mentioning. Probably the most major one is that Kaoru seems more helpless than she should. Sure, she's still plucky and still fights, but she gets rescued a lot. Also, by leaving her out of the fight at Kanryu's mansion, it seems to emphasize that she's not an effective fighter. (I know she was left behind story-wise so she could be kidnapped by Jin-ei, but still.)

I also wish the fight between Kenshin and Saito could have been the full-blown fight from the beginning of the Kyoto arc, but I'm grateful that they had ANY fight scene since Saito shouldn't even be here. Plus, I understand that it was more dramatic then for Kenshin to become the Battosai at the end in his battle with Jin-ei.

I really enjoy the fight scenes, which do NOT seem to be full of CGI effects. I can't say which one was my favorite: the fight at the dojo, the fight outside Kanryu's mansion, or the final battle with Jin-ei. They've all required repeated viewings.

I've read that a sequel is in the works. I really hope it's the Kyoto arc, and that I get the Saito/Battosai fight I want so desperately. Also, PLEASE RELEASE IT IN NORTH AMERICA. I probably would have paid to see this movie about five times in the theater.

Quaker Real Medleys Apple Walnut Oatmeal +, (Pack of 12)
Quaker Real Medleys Apple Walnut Oatmeal +, (Pack of 12)
Price: $23.96
3 used & new from $23.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty, convenient, but be aware of the fat content, February 20, 2013
I loved this for its convenience...just heat water to boiling in the microwave, pour in the cup, and let sit for 3 minutes. It also tastes much better than plain oatmeal. BUT, be aware that the nuts give this an elevated fat content. There are 8g of fat (12% DV) and 1g of saturated fat (5% DV). Compare that with the Quaker apple & spice packet, which is 1.5g of fat and .5g saturated.

I will definitely continue to buy these, but I won't eat them every day.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2013 3:00 PM PST

Freshware 12-1/2-Inch Silicone Loaf Pan, 1-Piece
Freshware 12-1/2-Inch Silicone Loaf Pan, 1-Piece
Price: $9.40
14 used & new from $9.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes perfect quick-bread, February 13, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This silicone pan made the best quick bread I've ever made. It had a moist and tender crumb, perfectly cooked; the outside was lightly browned. Very easy to care for. This will be my new go-to pan!

Note: you do need to place it on a cookie sheet in the oven, and coming out of the oven the pan is hot to the touch, so potholders are still a necessity.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20