Profile for Scott W > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Scott W RSS Feed (Brea, CA USA)

FINA Ultra Absorbent Luxury *WAFFLE WEAVE* microfiber bath towel in Linen color (29 x 55 inches)
Offered by Joe Warehouse
Price: $16.99
2 used & new from $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Long on performance; a bit short on aesthetics, July 12, 2014
This FINA microfiber towel doesn't feel as luxurious as a fluffy cotton terry towel, but it has undeniably superior drying performance. I'm taking off one star because the towel I received has a cosmetic flaw: the waffle pattern is about 10 degrees off-kilter relative to the edges, giving the towel a slightly lopsided appearance when hanging on the rod.

Blood Simple
Blood Simple
DVD ~ Frances McDormand
Offered by het-pakhuis
Price: $18.95
65 used & new from $0.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Minor cuts that leave minor scars, October 2, 2001
This review is from: Blood Simple (DVD)
As a big fan of the film since it was released in 1985, I was looking forward to seeing Blood Simple transferred to DVD. A cleaned-up widescreen transfer, and maybe a little cleaner audio, were all good things that I wanted to see happen; and with the Director's Cut, it did happen. However, I think the edits that were made in this version of the film may displease fans of the original -- I know they displease this fan.
I won't go into a laundry-list of the cuts. They are, for the most part, the removal or trimming of some funny bits and gags that don't really contribute to telling the story; but they do, in my opinion, contribute to the quirky charm of the film without consuming a great deal of time on screen. Also trimmed are some uncomfortable silences that develop between people in certain scenes; making them not so uncomfortable, I guess, but I don't see this as an improvement.
Most disconcerting to me are some of the music changes. One that particularly disappointed me is when Ray first confronts Marty on the back steps of the bar. In the original version, a slow-tempo instrumental country-western tune is playing inside the bar, and after transitioning to the outside, the same song is heard muffled in the background with the bass still booming. As anyone who has ever stood outside a nightclub can tell you, this is exactly what you hear -- the lower frequencies propagate better than the higher frequencies. The editors have seen fit to change this to a vocal piece of music that is reduced in volume as the view changes to the outside, but without the realistic frequency balance. I don't understand why this change was made. Perhaps some didn't like that the music here wasn't really so much music as it was background sound, or perhaps it was thought to interfere with hearing the conversation; but I think it was a wonderful element in the atmosphere of the scene that I surely miss.
Regarding the new intro with the pompously lecturing gentleman, suffice it to say that it can be fast-forwarded through.
This Director's Cut version delivers basically the same psychological and visceral thrills as the original version, with improved video and audio; but long-time fans, such as myself, may find the changes have done some minor cosmetic harm, rather than good.