Profile for H. Blair > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

H. Blair "Midwest Bookseller" RSS Feed (des moines, IA)

SHANY 2012 Nail Art Polish Stamp Manicure Image Plates set of 25pcs
SHANY 2012 Nail Art Polish Stamp Manicure Image Plates set of 25pcs
Offered by Makeup & Gift shop
Price: $14.95
3 used & new from $14.95

3.0 out of 5 stars I've waited almost 6 months for replacement plates, September 27, 2012
I waited a very long time to write a review for these plates because I don't like writing low star reviews for companies. I'd rather just deal with it privately.

Long story short, I bought these plates way back in March. Only about 18 of the 25 were cut deeply enough for me to get a clear image off of, and so I emailed SHANY about getting replacement plates. They said it would be totally fine, and I was like "I'm so glad you guys are offering to fix this."

Well, its now almost October, the 6 month mark since I've been in on and off conversation with the company. Not only has this item not been taken off Amazon even after the PR lady was like "yes, we had a bad shipment and are getting new plates printed", but 6 months later they are still being sold and yet she has told me that they cant send me a replacement set because they are "behind in getting new plates pressed." This means one of two things: she is stalling until I forget about this and they are selling the upgraded plates on Amazon, or they are still selling the defective plates on amazon while they wait for the reprint shipment.

I understand that companies have to make money to stay afloat. I understand that sometimes big operations can go pear shaped and take much longer to fix small problems when it comes to a design error. The only reason I am not giving this a 1 star rating is that I can still use 18 of the plates fairly well, and I'm remaining hopeful that in the future SHANY will send me the replacement set for the mis-etched plates I did receive and I can come back and change this review. Time will tell.

For people looking to buy these: Beware. Yes, the designs are amazing, but they run small. You also get what you spend, and it's a deal at $11.99/set, but know that some of the specific plates you're buying the set for probably wont be etched deep enough. I would hold off on this purchase until they come out with a new design set, or make an official statement on this amazon.com listing about the plates being the updated versions.

Lime Crime Blue Milk Liquid Eyeliner
Lime Crime Blue Milk Liquid Eyeliner

5.0 out of 5 stars great color, great staying power, July 31, 2012
I have to be careful with eye makeup as I have very sensitive skin and allergic reactions specific to my eye area(s). This formula goes on pretty opaque, and can be boosted with two passes to make it completely, solid blue. I've gotten a lot of great compliments on it, just on the first day!

My only comment is that it comes in a very petite tube for the price tag, but it goes on solidly and stays until you take it off with makeup removing solution. Highly Recommended!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive eyes? Your waterline wont kill you for using this., May 4, 2012
Some groundwork, first. I am almost 30, and have never been able to use many eye products because they have ingredients that give me a reaction similar to pink eye. I've tried gel liners, I've tried vegan liners, I've tried hypo-allergenic liners. If any of these get into my waterline they immediately tear out and i end up with little smudgy wet stains on my face and 12 hours of intense eye irritation.

I was *exceedingly* skeptical about using this product at first, because the idea of having camphor near my eyes sounded like pain city. (Camphor, eucalyptus, and menthol are all roughly in the same chemical compound family and often cause a 'cooling' effect because of how they interact with & dilate surface blood vessels.) I worked up the courage to try this brand on a whim, and I was not disappointed. It will go on your eyes and stay on your eyes all day long without heavy irritation or eye-reactions. It *does* smear as it has a lot of natural oils in comparison to other brands that use a more westernized recipe, but it smears out into these lovely, mysterious smokey plumes and is easy to clean up and sculpt with eye-remover makeup (or even a little soap on a round q-tip!)

If you're looking for dark, dramatic lines that will go on thin and stay put, this isn't the eye product for you. If you're looking for dark, dramatic lines that spread organically around your eyes and wont cause severe allergy reactions for even the most delicate of faces, You wont be sad you spent the couple bucks on your purchase.

Himalaya naturals has recruited a new fangirl, for sure.

Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter
Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter
by James Gurney
Price: $14.49
70 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Marks a new standard in color theory, November 28, 2010
(I gave this book my first fully-supported 5 star review I've ever given on amazon.com)

This book replaced at least 2 books on my shelf upon arriving and reading. It takes artists' color theory and describes it in a way that is both approachable and understandable to the beginner and professional alike.

Compared to a lot of people who have written reviews for this book (not only here but on third party sites), I have had a different trail to tread as far as trends in both art and art instruction compared to not only Gurney but artists who were taught from the 1980> . I've been drawing for about 13 years, and started right about the time that digital art was beginning to enter the playing field as a mainstream media/medium (late 90s). An advantage of that is that you were being exposed to both traditional drawing techniques and digital drawing techniques at once, where for today's generation of artists it seems that digital media has nearly swallowed many of the traditional media, and along with them, their techniques.

So, as someone who works about 50/50 with digital and traditional media (albeit leaning more traditional as I get older), this book helped to clarify a lot of very helpful relations between the color and light I was trying to simulate in my images. Not only that, it did it in a language that was not steeped in scientific babble and light theory that I was either skimming over or falling asleep through.

I recommend this to anyone and everyone who paints primarily non-abstract art, especially portrait artists and fantasy/scifi artists. To any professors (or TAs!) who see these reviews, I hope you consider putting this book as required reading in your syllabus. And for those not interested in college, I hope you have the foresight to grab up this edition of the book while it's still in stock.

Cover Run: The DC Comics Art of Adam Hughes (Adam Hughes Cover to Cover)
Cover Run: The DC Comics Art of Adam Hughes (Adam Hughes Cover to Cover)
by Adam T. Hughes
Price: $27.72
41 used & new from $18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Words Can't Describe the Beauty of This Book., July 2, 2010
I was biting at the bit to get this book ever since it became available for pre-order. I received my copy today, and I nearly died with the sheer joy of everything that was packed into a glossy 205 pages. Covers are seen side-by-side with sketches and mock-ups for color studies, and include his own feelings and insights about each. His ability to write so conversationally makes this book not only a joy to read but an immeasurable tool for up-and-coming artists. He throws small tips and helpful hints about how he constructs an image about every 2 covers, which means in a strange way this is as much a learning/teaching tool as it is just a beautiful set of his DC Covers.

My only complaint is that not every single cover (even the obscure dc ones) were full-size in the book, but I guess we'll have to wait until he gets the nerve to give us another beautiful art book? (Note to Adam: A Hardcover collection of your con sketchbooks and development studies, please? :D)

Manga Pose Resource Book 1 (Bk. 1)
Manga Pose Resource Book 1 (Bk. 1)
by Yoshihiro Tamaguchi
24 used & new from $32.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book,... but not for what current used prices are asking., June 18, 2010
This is a nice book for its simple line-drawing references in non-descript, banal motions that you would do while just carrying on with your day. Its a great reference for artists who are looking for a pose book but don't need 200 pages of hyper-contextualized action sequences and image-comics-style martial arts. This book would be indispensable for any artist looking to work on sequential art or trying to find a good starting-point for creating believeable poses in an every-day environment.

That being said:

The fact that sellers are fishing for poor people to spend $150~200+ for this volume blows my mind. I understand that you have to make money, but that asking anything more for maybe 60~80$ dollars for this is not only (a) a waste of money, it's also (b) a sign of no respect for those who are buying it. I work at a used book store and got my copy for around 30$ (since it is still considered collectible as it is out of pring, it was priced up slightly.) I'd love to have a second copy for friends who are interested, but never at the going rate for what third-party companies are asking for it on amazon currently.

To those interested in this: wait until the price goes down to below 70$, otherwise you are being willingly ripped off.

Awaken Your Inner Power
Awaken Your Inner Power
by Robert Morgen
Edition: Perfect Paperback
14 used & new from $15.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Well-Meaning Book, But..., March 10, 2010
First let me say that I think Robert Morgan does have some level of personal Kundalini experience and that it is nice to see a book written on the subject that is (a) at face-level English, (b) not completely wrapped into high-level Yogic/Chakra/Kundalini practices and/or lingo, and (c) retains some humor about what he's writing about. For that, I think this book reads very as approachable.

However, The content in it does not appear to have the level of self-restraint of a teacher, but more the awkward forced conversation of a salesman. The first half of the book is dotted with self-promotions for his other books and his website, not to mention grammatical errors that are more common within self-published books. The second half includes very understated descriptions of each chakra (we're talking 2 pages at most for each one), and then 'chapters' that span 3~5 pages on meditations, insights, etc. that are so underwhelming that it leaves me feeling more frustrated than not.

I think he has a good start, but this book could use the aid of an editor, chapters that are way more fleshed out than they currently stand, and a lot less personal grand-standing about his other products -- I didn't buy this book so that every 5 pages I could find out about all the other stuff you wrote, I bought it in hopes of learning something.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2011 3:50 PM PDT