Profile for B. Siegrist > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

B. Siegrist "briannasiegrist" RSS Feed (upstate New York, USA)

Page: 1 | 2
The One-Day Way: Today Is All the Time You Need to Lose All the Weight You Want
The One-Day Way: Today Is All the Time You Need to Lose All the Weight You Want
by Chantel Hobbs
Price: $17.99
124 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best book., May 4, 2011
The title, and first two parts of the book, lay out the premise of the One-Day-Way. As far as I could figure it out, it is that you don't have to be all anxious about a "forever" plan... you don't have to say, "FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE I'M NEVER HAVING A DONUT."
You just have to make today be the best day today could possibly be. And then tomorrow, do it again.

On the converse side of this premise, she says that the one day way means every day is like starting from scratch. If you messed up yesterday, today is still Day One.

It's... interesting. I read it thinking, "Okay, I can understand where you're coming from."
But I don't know if that approach is realistic. From my point of view, I like looking back at yesterday, whether I've failed or succeeded, as motivation for what I'm going to do or not do today. And having no end goal doesn't really do much for me, either. So while reading the book, I tried to keep an open mind, and ask myself whether I should adapt to her theory or not.

But I also had a really hard time really understanding exactly what she was trying to encourage the reader to do. Hobbs writes with a conversational tone, which makes the book, in one sense, quite easy to read. She uses a lot of examples, both personal and anecdotal, to explain what she's saying.
However, though I could read through the chapters quite quickly, I often had to go through and try to pick through the stories to figure out what her main point was. She uses a lot of slogans like "You are now the architect of your life." and "Lay the foundation," "Don't run from the wrecking ball." Etc. But I honestly read through each chapter and then had to stop and say, "Okay, wait. What does that mean?"

Starting in part three of the book, she gets down to details, apparently how to actually DO what she was talking about.
She starts by with "The One Day Food Rules: Ten Commandments for Weight Loss and For Life." It starts with the list of 10 (Consume 1400 to 1600 calories per day, Never skip breakfast, Maintain a balanced diet... etc.)

and then moves on to an actual menu of things to eat: (Breakfast : 1 cup KASHI GoLean cereal, 1 cup skim milk, 1/2 banana, 1 Tb peanut butter. etc.)

Then there's 10 more commandments, about exercise.
(A great attitude isn't enough, Believe you were made to move, break a sweat every day... etc.)

Then there is a chapter with a exercises completely spelled out and with pictures. (Of her, doing the exercises.)

The Last Chapters are encouragement to stay on track.

And after reading all of that... I guess... I thought... um. You have got to really want it, I think, to read this book and have it make a difference in your life. I mean, the first two parts are vague and "motivational" and the last part is like, "Starting now, get off your butt and eat healthy! Yay you!"

I think that if you were stepping into weight loss with absolutely NO preconceived ideas, you could pick up this book, and if you ALREADY possessed the willpower to make the changes, this book lays out a good outline of how to live and eat healthy.

But if you're like me, struggling day to day with how to become a self-controlled person, it's not so much the 'what to eat" or "how much exercise should I do" that you need. It's the... "how do I reach inside and find the strength to do what needs to be done?" And I opened this book wondering if it would answer that question.
It didn't, for me.
But idk... maybe it will for you! It did for Chantel! Her story is actually pretty awesome, but I think it's better told in Never Say Diet.

Fairest
Fairest
by Gail Carson Levine
Price: $6.99
265 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh., January 28, 2011
This review is from: Fairest (Paperback)
A simple fairy story set in a make believe kingdom. The plot is unique but slow, the characters are one-dimensional. If you liked Ella Enchanted, you'll like it. But if you're looking for something rich and believable, this isn't it.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (P.S.)
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (P.S.)
by Betty Smith
Price: $13.15
214 used & new from $1.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing but disappointing., January 28, 2011
Engrossing and timeless, if you want to time travel for a few days into Brooklyn a hundred years ago, read this book. My only caveat is that, like most coming-of-age novels, the character goes through a period where she is struggling to decide what she believes about God. She decides that she doesn't believe, and the scene where she decides is compelling... In fact, it's as if the entire book, her entire life, leads up to the point where she decides that there really is no God, but "life" and "beauty" and "education" and "love" are all good enough for her. It's anti-climactic when you know that those things really AREN'T worth it. Those things disappoint. Those things fail. Those things vanish away... Too sad, really to know that there are plenty of people who also have come to that same conclusion in life, and the beautiful stories that could have been told end in darkness and as much hopelessness as they began.
Sorry for completely ruining the novel for you. I enjoyed it while I was reading it. ;-)

Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
by C. S. Lewis
Price: $8.44
293 used & new from $2.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., January 28, 2011
Oh, wow. C.S.Lewis, How do you DO it? He took a simple myth, gave it life and history and plausibility... and beyond that, made it a passionate description of our innermost struggle with pride and acceptance. Simple enough for anyone to read, the story hooks you in, the truth hits you deep.

Lady in Waiting: A Novel
Lady in Waiting: A Novel
by Susan Meissner
Price: $12.40
131 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh., January 28, 2011
A dual-plot novel about a woman who discovers Lady Jane Grey's ring in an antique book. Readable, believable. Not particularly compelling or noteworthy.

Coraline [Mass Market Paperback]
Coraline [Mass Market Paperback]
by Neil Gaiman
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
35 used & new from $1.82

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh., January 28, 2011
So terrible. I had read reviews of the movie that said it brought familes together. It was just a nightmare of a novel about a girl who discovers evil in her house. And to make it worse, her parents become the victims, and she has to fight the evil alone. It's a "young adult" novel because the language is simple and the protagonist is an adolescent. But the scenes are the kind of things that haunt you and will make you afraid of your own home, your own bed. I can't believe this kind of thing has a willing audience.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2012 9:09 AM PST

Ellie: Revised, Book One, Ellie's People (Ellie's People, Book One)
Ellie: Revised, Book One, Ellie's People (Ellie's People, Book One)
by Borntrager
Price: $7.99
181 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, January 28, 2011
A simple book covering the childhood of an Amish girl. I liked the glimpse into their world without all of the forced drama of most "Amish" novels.

Wings
Wings
by Aprilynne Pike
Price: $6.29
118 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Bleh!, January 28, 2011
This review is from: Wings (Paperback)
I'll start by saying it's my own fault for choosing another book out of the YA section. But I keep DOING it because I'm tired of reading regular "Adult" fiction: which is all about either getting married or getting chased by the CIA! Nevertheless. This book is slow, SLOW, SLOW. And not GOOD slow, as in, The Painted Veil slow. Lemme 'splain. This is what happens in the first half of the book: Laurel goes to a new school. Laurel meets David. Laurel explains that she is really, really, weird, and by weird, I mean "perfect." She only eats organic fruits and veggies. Puberty has been "really good" to her: as in, gave her curves but no period. She's naturally thin and hates to eat, except drinking Sprite. She wakes up naturally at sunrise. She loves to take long walks.
That's the WHOLE first half of the book!! No joke! She took like eight chapters to tell you what I just told you. The actual "plot" begins when she sprouts a flower out of her back, halfway through the book.
Now, I have to say that the premise that "faeries" are actually plants, not animals, is... interesting. But this story should have been SLASHED into the beginning CHAPTER of a REAL BOOK. If they'd have done that, it would be awesome!!! But as it was, I'm sorry for wasting last evening reading it. So sad. Oh, and did I mention that the "love triangle" is superficial and lust-based?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2011 1:54 PM PDT

The Boleyn Inheritance
The Boleyn Inheritance
by Philippa Gregory
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.19
283 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh., January 28, 2011
I don't know if you like reading about dead royalty as much as I do, but if you're drawn to a full skirt and a ruffled collar, it might be tempting to pick up this book. :-) As with her other novels, this is a long, dark, look at the inevitable destruction of the main characters. Gregory gives you three lead females who you can only feel pity for, and the only men in the story are pigs and plotters. There is not a single noble or redeeming act done at any time in the entire story. I know there are a million novels out there, Why can't I read more that leave me lighter and more hopeful? If you're reading this, and you can recommend some, please do. (ps, I don't like Karen Kingsbury or the Mitford series)
I gave it a C rating because it's at least interesting, and at least gives you some historical lessons- a "What not to do" sort of thing.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars This is not a listing for the collection, May 10, 2010
I just purchased this, I thought that the listing was for the whole collection, as pictured, but instead it's just for the first color in the collection. I would have liked to know that ahead of time! I guess next time I'll buy things with a better product description.

Page: 1 | 2