Profile for John Oconnor > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 165

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

John Oconnor "Wrong Reverend Pope John the Melodicist" RSS Feed (Ohio)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Invasion (Laser #9)
Invasion (Laser #9)
by Aaron Wolfe
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
43 used & new from $14.50

4.0 out of 5 stars I can say that he is wonderful at building suspense and horror but, August 13, 2014
Aaron Wolfe is an early pseudonym of Dean Koontz. Having read several of Mr Koontz's novels, I can say that he is wonderful at building suspense and horror but, unfortunately, he has difficulty with ending novels the same way. for this novel, however, he has done an excellent job. The Laser books were set up to be 189 pages long and deal with pure scifi concepts. Perhaps Mr Koontz should spend more time with that format. He clearly is excellent at it.

Through the Night
Through the Night
by Edward Martin III
Price: $13.35
14 used & new from $13.35

5.0 out of 5 stars A really excellent first novel from Edward Martin III, August 13, 2014
This review is from: Through the Night (Paperback)
A really excellent first novel from Edward Martin III. I rather like the short chapters, too. The novel has a rapid pace that compels you to continue reading and the action is well paced, too. I can't decide whether this is a scifi novel or a horror novel, but that's up to the reader to make up his or her own mind. Mr Martin showed an excellent grasp of the short story with his "Blinkspace" book, and now shows that he can also handle a longer and more complex story as well. Highly recommended!!!!

Casio Men's W800H-1AV "Classic" Sport Watch with Black Band
Casio Men's W800H-1AV "Classic" Sport Watch with Black Band
Price: $13.84
23 used & new from $13.84

3.0 out of 5 stars This watch keeps excellent time, is easy to read and see and ..., July 16, 2014
This watch keeps excellent time, is easy to read and see and puts everything together for us old folks, too. However, the band on this watch is horrible!!!!! I had my watch for about two weeks and it simply fell apart. The band is also a difficult one to find as well. I went to a kiosk in the mall and the fellow there took a leather band and used scissors to cut it down to fit. I do wish Casio would make a decent band for such a good watch.

Fringe: The Complete Series
Fringe: The Complete Series
DVD ~ Various
Price: $56.99
16 used & new from $56.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best telenovel ever!!!, December 28, 2013
This review is from: Fringe: The Complete Series (DVD)
Unlike most series on TV, this is a planned 5 season telenovel and without spoilers, I can tell you that there will never be a return of "Fringe", either. I spent most of the 5 seasons completely confused and it was so nice to have to actually think about what was going on and what it meant. I am so used to series where each episode can be a stand alone. If you miss more than 16 seconds of this series, you will have missed out on something guaranteed. The first season starts a bit slow but once this telenovel gets going, it never stops and there are some truly mindblowing moments as well. I really can't recommend this telenovel too highly. Great plots, great characters, great acting, great writing and really exciting concepts.

The Night Land, A Story Retold
The Night Land, A Story Retold
by James Stoddard
Price: $10.68
29 used & new from $8.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a perfect translation but still well worth reading, December 5, 2013
I loved the original book "The Night Land", even though I felt like I had to translate if from a language I really didn't know how to read. Hodgson chose a horrible style in which to tell his story. The story, however, is one of the most brilliant and complex I have ever read. The idea of setting a romance in a far future where the sun has gone out and all of humanity lives in a miles high pyramid in a valley miles below what used to be the surface of the earth and surrounded by many different kinds of evil and horrible creatures. Mr Stoddard has done a good job of translating that horrible prose into a more modern language and it is much easier to read. On a minor negative side, he did have to add dialog and he has added a few scenes and left a few out so it's not a direct translation. That's not all that bad, though. In fact, I do recommend this highly. It makes a great story much easier to access.

Hopeless, Maine Volume 2: Inheritance
Hopeless, Maine Volume 2: Inheritance
by Tom and Nimue Brown
Price: $15.83
45 used & new from $9.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Vol 2 is a great continuation of the story, December 5, 2013
As good as Vol 1 and, in some ways, better. We learn a bit more (not enough) about Sal and some of her history. Since this is one of a series, I suppose it's not good to give too much away yet. The art is wonderful, as was Vol 1, and the story continues well and leave me eagerly awaiting Vol 3. If you liked Vol 1, pick this up immediately. If you haven't read Vol 1, get both of these immediately. If you didn't like Vol 1, what's wrong with you?

The Compleat Crow
The Compleat Crow
by Brian Lumley
18 used & new from $24.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Short stories to go along with the Titus Crow series, October 30, 2013
This review is from: The Compleat Crow (Paperback)
Most Lovecraft purists dislike Lumley's concepts. They don't follow "the canon" established by the true Lovecraft scholars. They aren't even true to the "Derlethian" heresies. Still, they are fun to read and, if you have read the novels, these add much to the background and future of Titus Crow. Personally, while I do love the "true" Lovecraft stories, I find Lumley to be a great read and a lot of fun. Yes, they are more like heroic fiction with a mythos slant and certainly a far cry from the usual bleak concepts of Lovecraft, but I enjoy them. I don't expect everyone to agree with me but those who do will find this very interesting.

Doctor Who: Summer Falls and Other Stories
Doctor Who: Summer Falls and Other Stories
by Melody Malone
Price: $10.79
58 used & new from $6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well done side bars to Doctor Who, October 30, 2013
If you are not a Doctor Who fan, this will mean nothing to you. If you are a Whovian, however, this is absolutely necessary. Three separate stories, each tied to an episode of Doctor Who and including River Song (Melody Pond or Melody Malone) There is also a preface that is as heart rending as the afterward shown in "The Angels Take Manhattan" and a final interview with Amelia Williams and her husband Rory. Since I am a devoted Whovian, this was a wonderful read. I cannot recommend highly enough.

Kolchak: Necronomicon (Kolchak the Nightstalker)
Kolchak: Necronomicon (Kolchak the Nightstalker)
by C.J. Henderson
Price: $19.32
34 used & new from $15.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Kolchak and Cthulhu, October 9, 2013
If you love Kolchak, Lovecraft or graphic novels, this is for you. A really well done series of stories combining Kolchak and Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos. I have been told that it's very pricey but then, graphic novels are usually more expensive. Personally, I like this and it's worth the $20 to me. Good art, good stories and fun to read. What more could you want?

A Week In Hell (Champion City) (Volume 1)
A Week In Hell (Champion City) (Volume 1)
by J. Walt Layne
Price: $9.00
11 used & new from $6.38

5.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Pulp Adventure, September 11, 2013
Pulp detective fiction is not usually my forte. I've read some, of course. Everyone has. This book hearkens back to the old days of Mike Hammer. A tough cop, a beautiful woman, dollars and crime are all involved here and well handled. This was a fun read and hard to put down until the finish. I'm usually a horror/fantasy/scifi reader but I have to admit that I'm looking forward to finding out what else is going on in Champion City and what further adventures Thurman Dicke has. I recommend this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17