Profile for John Oconnor > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 162

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

John Oconnor "Wrong Reverend Pope John the Melodicist" RSS Feed (Ohio)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Fringe: The Complete Series
Fringe: The Complete Series
DVD ~ Various
Offered by MightySilver
Price: $93.50
16 used & new from $89.45

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best telenovel ever!!!, December 28, 2013
This review is from: Fringe: The Complete Series (DVD)
Unlike most series on TV, this is a planned 5 season telenovel and without spoilers, I can tell you that there will never be a return of "Fringe", either. I spent most of the 5 seasons completely confused and it was so nice to have to actually think about what was going on and what it meant. I am so used to series where each episode can be a stand alone. If you miss more than 16 seconds of this series, you will have missed out on something guaranteed. The first season starts a bit slow but once this telenovel gets going, it never stops and there are some truly mindblowing moments as well. I really can't recommend this telenovel too highly. Great plots, great characters, great acting, great writing and really exciting concepts.

The Night Land, A Story Retold
The Night Land, A Story Retold
by James Stoddard
Price: $10.79
25 used & new from $10.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a perfect translation but still well worth reading, December 5, 2013
I loved the original book "The Night Land", even though I felt like I had to translate if from a language I really didn't know how to read. Hodgson chose a horrible style in which to tell his story. The story, however, is one of the most brilliant and complex I have ever read. The idea of setting a romance in a far future where the sun has gone out and all of humanity lives in a miles high pyramid in a valley miles below what used to be the surface of the earth and surrounded by many different kinds of evil and horrible creatures. Mr Stoddard has done a good job of translating that horrible prose into a more modern language and it is much easier to read. On a minor negative side, he did have to add dialog and he has added a few scenes and left a few out so it's not a direct translation. That's not all that bad, though. In fact, I do recommend this highly. It makes a great story much easier to access.

Hopeless, Maine Volume 2: Inheritance
Hopeless, Maine Volume 2: Inheritance
by Tom and Nimue Brown
Price: $16.29
43 used & new from $11.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Vol 2 is a great continuation of the story, December 5, 2013
As good as Vol 1 and, in some ways, better. We learn a bit more (not enough) about Sal and some of her history. Since this is one of a series, I suppose it's not good to give too much away yet. The art is wonderful, as was Vol 1, and the story continues well and leave me eagerly awaiting Vol 3. If you liked Vol 1, pick this up immediately. If you haven't read Vol 1, get both of these immediately. If you didn't like Vol 1, what's wrong with you?

The Compleat Crow
The Compleat Crow
by Brian Lumley
20 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Short stories to go along with the Titus Crow series, October 30, 2013
This review is from: The Compleat Crow (Paperback)
Most Lovecraft purists dislike Lumley's concepts. They don't follow "the canon" established by the true Lovecraft scholars. They aren't even true to the "Derlethian" heresies. Still, they are fun to read and, if you have read the novels, these add much to the background and future of Titus Crow. Personally, while I do love the "true" Lovecraft stories, I find Lumley to be a great read and a lot of fun. Yes, they are more like heroic fiction with a mythos slant and certainly a far cry from the usual bleak concepts of Lovecraft, but I enjoy them. I don't expect everyone to agree with me but those who do will find this very interesting.

Doctor Who: Summer Falls and Other Stories
Doctor Who: Summer Falls and Other Stories
by Amelia Williams
Price: $11.03
64 used & new from $5.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well done side bars to Doctor Who, October 30, 2013
If you are not a Doctor Who fan, this will mean nothing to you. If you are a Whovian, however, this is absolutely necessary. Three separate stories, each tied to an episode of Doctor Who and including River Song (Melody Pond or Melody Malone) There is also a preface that is as heart rending as the afterward shown in "The Angels Take Manhattan" and a final interview with Amelia Williams and her husband Rory. Since I am a devoted Whovian, this was a wonderful read. I cannot recommend highly enough.

Kolchak: Necronomicon (Kolchak the Nightstalker)
Kolchak: Necronomicon (Kolchak the Nightstalker)
by C.J. Henderson
Price: $17.78
34 used & new from $13.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Kolchak and Cthulhu, October 9, 2013
If you love Kolchak, Lovecraft or graphic novels, this is for you. A really well done series of stories combining Kolchak and Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos. I have been told that it's very pricey but then, graphic novels are usually more expensive. Personally, I like this and it's worth the $20 to me. Good art, good stories and fun to read. What more could you want?

A Week In Hell (Champion City) (Volume 1)
A Week In Hell (Champion City) (Volume 1)
by J. Walt Layne
Price: $8.10
16 used & new from $6.40

5.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Pulp Adventure, September 11, 2013
Pulp detective fiction is not usually my forte. I've read some, of course. Everyone has. This book hearkens back to the old days of Mike Hammer. A tough cop, a beautiful woman, dollars and crime are all involved here and well handled. This was a fun read and hard to put down until the finish. I'm usually a horror/fantasy/scifi reader but I have to admit that I'm looking forward to finding out what else is going on in Champion City and what further adventures Thurman Dicke has. I recommend this.

Elisabeth Sladen: The Autobiography
Elisabeth Sladen: The Autobiography
by Elisabeth Sladen
34 used & new from $6.80

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful actress and a good human being, February 26, 2013
I am a Whovian. I admit it freely. I have been a fan of Doctor Who since the mid '70s. My first Doctor was Tom Baker and his companion was Sarah Jane Smith (Elizabeth Sladen). At that time, she was young and beautiful. When she reappeared with David Tennant, I was very pleasantly surprised to see that although she had aged a bit, she was still beautiful. Her autobiography is a wonderful read for all Whovians and even if you aren't, it's a great read about a talented and beautiful actress who was also a great human being. I can't recommend this highly enough.

Hopeless, Maine Volume 1: Personal Demons
Hopeless, Maine Volume 1: Personal Demons
by Nimue Brown
Price: $16.18
32 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, bleak and wonderful, February 26, 2013
An excellent storyline and wonderful art work. I like dark fiction and this certainly is that. I am eager for Volume 2 now to continue the story. I would highly recommend this to anyone who loves horror without superfluous sex or graphic gore.

Collected Grooks 1
Collected Grooks 1
by Piet Hein
21 used & new from $44.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Piet Hein is a genius, August 29, 2012
This review is from: Collected Grooks 1 (Hardcover)
I'm not usually a fan of poetry and especially not very short poetry. However, this poetry is not the usual stuff. It's not even haiku. It's rhyming but more important, it's meaningful. Just a few words, but so much meaning. My all time favorite is:

I'd like to know
what this whole show
is all about
before it's out.

Who wouldn't? Still, so perfectly put and you know exactly what he means. Philosophy, humor, poetry and love all in a very few simple words. Who doesn't love this?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17