ARRAY(0x961921c8)

Customer Reviews: 378

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Inna Tysoe "Inna Tysoe" RSS Feed (Earth)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
All the President's Men
All the President's Men
by Bob Woodward
Price: $9.28
390 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Made Me Wistful, April 12, 2014
This is an interesting book for many different reasons. First of all, this is a book as much about how journalism ought to be done as it is about what is being reported. At least two sources had to support everything they put in the paper and, if one of them disagreed with the conclusions or the facts of a story, that story never made the paper. And yes, that occasionally meant weeks without a Watergate story. Imagine that in these days of CNN and Fox assuring their viewers that the Supreme Court struck down the Affordable Care Act. Not only did Woodward and Bernstein have to read, they were expected to get it right.

Which is not to say that they did not make mistakes. If you’ve seen the movie, you have seen the most dramatic mistake they made about Haldeman. But there was another, earlier error that wronged three men and truly made life difficult for them. Or, as Woodward and Bernstein put it in their book, “The stigma of Watergate stayed with [one of them], and he had great difficulty obtaining a job.”

Watergate, which almost by accident, “made” these gutsy, chutzpah-filled reporters also was the undoing of some. Some who were not guilty.
And then there is the story itself. A story that was deeply shocking. Campaign funds used to spy on the opposition, to lie about the opposition, to bug buildings, to subvert justice. When someone couldn’t pay their “tithe” they were “cut loose.” And then the blurring of the division of powers. And how the Executive Branch went after the opposition—the Post, individual reporters. (Woodward and Bernstein had to get a lawyer to mind their finances or they would have been in trouble with the IRS.) The shock of that. It was interesting to read that in an age when everything posted on Twitter will be preserved forever, when the NSA is bugging the world (and not just a few buildings) when the IRS does this sort of thing as a matter of course. And when none of it makes the front page news. We expect this sort of thing from our government now. It’s no longer shocking.

I finished the book in a wistful mood. Wistful for a time of real reporting—when you actually had to pound the pavement, talk to people, check out your facts, and –if you weren’t sure you didn’t have a story. And wistful for a time when we, as a nation, could still be shocked.

Dove Advanced Care with Nutriummoisture Antiperspirant Deodorant, Clear Tone Skin Renew, 2.6 Ounce
Price: $7.00
5 used & new from $7.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, April 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The scent is not overpowering and it does not leave streaks on clothes. This is very important when you’re tossing clothes on in the morning while rushing to get to work. I can’t tell if it evens out my skin tone but it does its job and I (a person who is super-sensitive to scents) have no issue whatsoever with this scent.

Tasc Performance Men's Carrollton T-Shirt, Cobalt, Large
Tasc Performance Men's Carrollton T-Shirt, Cobalt, Large
Price: $29.46
2 used & new from $29.46

5.0 out of 5 stars The Right Top for this Early Heat, April 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this for my husband. He has several sports shirts: official soccer shirts, cycling shirts etc. They are all supposed to be light-weight and wicking so you don’t get too sweaty and can cool off quickly.

He says that the first thing he noticed with this shirt is how light it is and how soft it is and how stretchy it feels when he puts it on. He says that none of his other shirts are this nice tactile or comfortable.

It’s too early for the high heat of summer but we are in a bit of a hot spell with mid 80’s which is high for April. In this weather this shirt is very comfortable indeed and he thinks the wicking works because he didn’t really notice any discomfort with moderate exercise.

The shirt also claims UPF 50+ sun protection. He hasn’t been able to test this out but he has been impressed with everything else and looks forward to testing that claim in the summer when the temperatures rise.

I think it’s interesting that they use bamboo in the production of the fabric. I got the cobalt blur shirt which is of a bright royal blue. I washed it a couple of times now but have not noticed any fading yet. I will keep you updated on that as well.

Would I buy another one? The shirt is a bit pricey at the current $30. It is however, the most comfortable sports shirt my husband says he owns. So I am very tempted to get him another. Especially when I like some of the other colors that should go well with a tan and dark hair. So I can definitely see myself buying another, and if the price came down a bit maybe two or three more.

Lux Products TX1500U Universal 5-1-1 Programmable Thermostat
Lux Products TX1500U Universal 5-1-1 Programmable Thermostat
Price: $31.98
12 used & new from $18.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great for Any Age Home, April 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Our house came with an aging yellowed thermostat that must have been the first to have a basic LCD on the screen. It still worked but it took some effort to adjust the temperature manually because the buttons were worn out and had to be pressed a certain way. So when we got the opportunity to replace it with something more modern we jumped on it.

The Lux TX1500U is one of their affordable units and is designed to work with most systems. It has modern minimalist styling with a large centered LCD screen (attractive blue backlight when in use) with the bare essential raise and lower temp buttons and a hold available on the front beneath the screen and all the more advanced program setting controls under the flip down cover. The flip down cover feels a little flimsy but is quite flexible and gets used very seldom once you have set the programmable timing.

One thing to note is that it does not come with batteries. You will have to find 2xAA batteries for this unit to work.

I was a bit anxious because our home is an older home with a lot of old fashioned wiring and I believe we have a heat pump In the attic, an AC unit and a separate fan outside by the side of the house. I had downloaded a pdf manual whilst waiting for the unit to ship and it looked quite intimidating because there are several wiring configurations depending on what kind of HVAC setup you have.

When I received the thermostat and opened the box there was a physical printed manual inside which ended up being much easier to read and understand than the manual available online. In fact, the manual that comes with the unit is quite straight forward. When I took the faceplate off my old unit it had a whole bunch of screw down terminals on the circuit board with five small wires. The circuit board had labels printed for each terminal.

The Lux thermostat comes with sticky wire tags with corresponding labels printed on them. So all I had to do was remove a wire and attach the identifying label so I could easily track which wire was which. The Lux unit has a row of screw terminals clearly labeled in the back plate that screws to the wall. The face has a row of pins and plugs into the back plate after you have finished the wiring. Very convenient and easy to work with.

The original wiring from the wall was only about two inches long and I was very concerned that it would be too short but it reached the terminal. One nice thing was that the old wires were color coded and matched the letters of the labels. W for White, G for green, Y for yellow etc. The existing wiring all matched up and because of this the whole process was very easy. And it reached.

I didn’t have any spare batteries on hand; the old unit took three and when installed I got a battery LOW indicator flashing in large letters but it still functioned. Programming it was simple, instructions easy to follow and everything worked perfectly the first time.

One nice addition is that there is a filter meter on the display that you can set the number of days between filter changes. I am always forgetting about the filters so I appreciate this simple feature which is always clearly visible on the display.

This unit is also about three inches smaller than the old one, so I had to paint part of the bare wall. It really makes the living/dining area look so much better. It’s a simple unobtrusive design that looks good on the wall and it does so far it has been doing it’s job well with no drama.

In all, I recommend this, especially if you have an older home.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2014 12:23 PM PDT

Primula Kata Soft Touch Thermal Carafe, 52-Ounce/1.5-Liter, Cherry
Primula Kata Soft Touch Thermal Carafe, 52-Ounce/1.5-Liter, Cherry
Price: $29.99
3 used & new from $29.28

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks Good but has a Couple of Flaws, April 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The carafe came in one piece and I find it quite pleasant on the eye. I suppose it helps that I am partial to red. In addition, it holds the temperature of the liquid pretty well. It’s basically comparable in this regard to our coffee container—meaning that if you pour hot liquid in it, it will still be warm six hours later. And the carafe’s size (it’s 1.5 liters) means it holds a lot of liquid.

There are however, two minuses. First the lid. It’s awkward to hold, hard to line up to twist it shut. And second the spout. It pours the liquid out quite slowly meaning that it’s not to be used in those situations when speed of pouring is of the essence.

Still, the price seems pretty reasonable for what it is.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2014 12:22 PM PDT

Sylvania 34971 ZEVO Interior LED Strip Kit with Remote
Sylvania 34971 ZEVO Interior LED Strip Kit with Remote
Price: $33.73

4.0 out of 5 stars Great kit--Not just for cars, March 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This light kit comes with quite a lot of cables and a car dash lighter adapter if you want a quick and easy makeshift solution.

When I first got this set I thought I’d test the kit in the house first. I have some RC models and just happened to have some 5000mah 12v batteries I could hook up.

(NOTE) First time I tried nothing happened. Then I noticed there was a small clear plastic tab sticking out of the remote. The tab ended up being a small sheet of plastic that prevents the remotes coin style battery from accidentally making a connection so it wouldn’t run out of juice in storage and transit.

With the tab removed, the LED strips worked wonderfully. You can choose many color combinations or mix your own plus various flash, pulse, strobe and fade effects.

It was while playing with this that I realized that there are a lot more applications for this kind of lighting than just the car. The fade effect between different colors is beautiful and has an ethereal quality. Just for fun I placed them under the yacht on the mantelpiece above the fireplace for some accent lighting and it looks great. A simple 12v AC/DC adapter was all that was needed to hook up the provided LED’s and control box. The control box already has a standard DC input socket.

The LED strips use 3M adhesive strips on the back to attach so decent quality and reliable.

So it’s very easy to set up. The control box uses a standard DC plug socket and probably has some kind of voltage regulator to make sure the LED’s get the correct amount of energy. It also has a separate wire approximately a foot long with a IR receiver for the remote, so you can position it discreetly somewhere. The remote works very well and the lights make very smooth transitions with a broad spectrum of colors.

The strips themselves use a 4 pin configuration male on one end and female on the other. You can easily connect them one after the other to make a longer 2 foot strip and potentially more strips should you need them.

FAVI Wireless Speaker for iPhone - White
FAVI Wireless Speaker for iPhone - White
Offered by Retail Ace
Price: $19.99
24 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Sound Quality, March 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This little wireless speaker system is small, compact and designed as a stand for your iphone. The plastic material has a soft rubberized feel that is pleasant and seems to be more upmarket than typical cheap shiny plastic.

Using it is simplicity itself. Turn the switch on and place the iphone on the stand. The audio fades in and increases volume and clarity as the phone comes closer to the stand with a range of about three inches. So it’s fully automated and works well.

The speaker comes with a built-in battery that is charged via USB. The socket in the speaker is a standard micro USB. A common USB type A plug to Micro USB plug is included. It is a little short at one foot length. If you don’t have a computer to charge from you can always use your iphone wall socket adapter.

The small speaker is mounted in the base facing down and produced reasonably loud sound of only ok quality. It isn’t going to blow anyone away who is into music. It’s a bit lacking across the board of frequencies but does pay louder and does the job. It’s good for listening to voice audio since its strongest in the midrange and doesn’t boom with bass or have a tinny shrill treble. So great midrange for things like skype. And it’s certainly better than just listening to music on the iphone without it.

For video conferencing the iphone stands in place angled up slightly to conveniently frame the user nicely in the screen.

Overall this works quite well; the sound is adequate and being mostly midrange not harsh at reasonably loud volume, but not exactly audiophile quality either. If you use video conferencing and don’t want to have to get the computer out, you can just place this on your desk, rest the iphone on it and run your favorite app, no need for a computer on the desk. So you have plenty of room for books, notepads etc.

Corsair Flash Voyager GO 32GB USB3.0 micro USB OTG Flash Drive for Android devices CMFVG-32GB-NA
Price: $32.99
31 used & new from $30.65

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tiny Device that Works Great, March 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this primarily as backup storage for my android phone and for quickly moving data from my phone to my PC.
This micro USB flash droid is tiny. With the cap on, it is 1 1/2” long 1/2” wide and 3/16” thick.

It comes with a convenient 2” keyring strap and a spare cap. So you have a black or yellow cap to choose from. I chose yellow because it is easy to see. And that’s important because it’s so small. It works great for transferring between android devices.

One thing that is slightly confusing is that the rear of the device is actually a male USB type A plug that will fit in any standard female A USB socket (the same type printers and mice use). If I hadn’t read the decription on the packaging I’d never have known the back end was a plug because the caseing is flush all the way from the cap. The only hint is the slot in the back.

It works great with decent transfer speeds though the speeds fluctuate quite a bit. Direct to the computer I was getting 60 megabytes initially that dropped to about 20 megabytes. With a USB1 extension cable transfers were started at about 20mb down to about 8mb.

With 32gb of storage that is equivalent to about five and a half DVD’s. Great for such a small package with dual connectors for great compatibility. I can plug it directly into my printer and print images, my home theater receiver and play back mp3’s, my living room media hub and play back video.

Overall I am pleased is very convenient being extremely small and easy to store discreetly. I do have to be careful every time I put it down and make a point of putting it somewhere safe that I won’t overlook.

Black and Decker Jr Electronic Tool, Jigsaw
Black and Decker Jr Electronic Tool, Jigsaw
Price: $11.99
5 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A win-win, March 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I saw (what turned out to be a toy) I got it. And it looks completely real. It comes with batteries and lights up when your little helper will assist you (and thus hopefully stay out of trouble while you’re fixing things) and it seems to be pretty safe. I would say four and five year olds are good candidates for this pretty reasonably priced toy. They should have fun with it and you will get work done.

A win-win.

Oxiclean Extreme Power Crystals Dishwasher Detergent Paks, Lemon Clean, 26 Count

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the Dish Washer and for Sensitive Hands, March 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We had gotten tired of the dishwasher powder a while ago to the point that we did most of our washing by hand. The powder gets damp in the box over time till you have a carton with a solid brick inside that has to be broken into smaller chunks that fit using something hefty like a hammer (I kid you not) but either way you always get some on your hands. Slimy when wet and the de-greasing nature of dishwashing leaves your hands very dry after.

These detergent packs are basically little sealed plastic pouches of powder. The pouches are made of some water soluble material that dissolves quickly when wet. The nice thing is that they are a convenient size similar to tabs but pliable enough that they are easy to squeeze into the holder past the swivel lid that chunks get caught on. Because of the pouch, packs they don’t leave any residue on your hands that needs to be washed off after.

I always rinse my dishes before putting them in the washer to reduce the solid waste that can collect in the bottom of the machine. So I can’t comment on how well it cleans off severely congealed food. In addition, I always use the more economical short wash without heated drying at the end and these packs do a good job of cleaning the dishes at that setting. The glass lids of my pans look shiny and new.

If your someone that has sensitive skin that dries easily, or just don’t like chemicals these may be just the thing. Since getting this bag of packs I have been using the washer more than I used to, especially on weekends when everyone in the house is feeling lazy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20