Profile for Inna Tysoe > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 514

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Inna Tysoe "Inna Tysoe" RSS Feed (Earth)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dr. Scholl's Electronic Pedicure Foot File and Smoother for Everything from Calluses to Pedicures
Offered by Express Goods
Price: $41.66
20 used & new from $30.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, February 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This electric smoother for callouses works very well. It’s powered by two AA batteries which are included. It’s about the size of a regular electric shaver with a narrower stem to comfortably fit a broad range of hand sizes. Operation is very simple with a basic thumb switch to turn it on and off and a quick release latch on the side to release the lightly sprung abrasive cylinder from the side.

There is a removable clear protective guard which I think is as much there to protect the abrasive cylinder from objects and substances found in the bathroom drawer than your hands etc. There is only one side open on the head of the device so it cannot be used in the wrong direction. The reverse has small holes to blow dust out the back from any filing.

When you remove the cylinder it feels like quite coarse sand paper (incidentally sand paper is what I have used previously to remove callouses after a hot summer walking in sandals). To the touch it may be a little coarser than expected. In use, the abrasive cylinder spins quite fast but is torqued so you cannot press too hard. It is very easy to use and works quickly. It seems like it would be quite hard to harm yourself with this because it works best on hard dry skin and any pressure on soft pliable skin acts like a brake preventing the cylinder spinning.

The on/off switch is two stage. There is a smaller embossed button on the center which locks the sliding switch so you cannot turn it on by accident. Press down and it slides easily into the on position. You do not have to press the latch to slide it back to off.

It’s comfortable and easy to use. Dust does come out the back so you will probably want to do it in the bathroom or over a rag or tissue. I actually used a vacuum to clean the dust away after use. The abrasive cylinder just needs rubbing with a damp cloth. It cleans pretty easily and the cylinder is supposed to be anti-bacterial treated. It works and cleans easier than I anticipated and does a good job.

I haven’t used a tool like this before so I wasn’t sure what to expect. It works well and leaves my feet feeling soft and smooth without any discomfort that unsightly callouses can cause in covered shoes.

I recommend it.

Munchkin Auto-Close Designer Safety Gate, Dark Wood
Munchkin Auto-Close Designer Safety Gate, Dark Wood
Price: $79.99
3 used & new from $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I recommend it, February 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We already have a white all metal Munchkin Safety gate that we use to keep our dogs in the kitchen. We were reasonably pleased with it other than the gate required some care or it would lift off in general use and be hard to put back in the frame. So we have something to compare this one to.

We decided to replace the old gate with this wooden one which makes the transition from the kitchen to the living/dining room less abrupt and more natural. The gate arrived in a largish box with a couple of mounting options. You can screw some circular anchors to a frame and expand the gate’s rubber feet to fit inside these anchors. Or you can just use the feet themselves in the door frame.

When you first get the gate, without the screws to brace the frame, it doesn’t fit the gate properly. This seems a bit odd at first. But when installing and extending the feet, the frame gets compressed and the 2 inch gap between the latch post and frame closes. You know when you have it tight enough because the latch locks properly and works.

There are two extensions included: a short one that uses some plastic posts and a single separate metal bar to close a small gap, or a longer extension which is one piece with two bars. These metal parts are all an off white greyish color while the wooden gate is dark wood and all the plastic hardware is black. I do think it would have been more attractive if there was a little more color consistency and the metal parts were closer to the wood in color.

Operation is simple, there is a button on the top of the gate that, when pressed, unlatches. You then lift the gate about an inch and can swing it in either direction. This is very useful if you have eager dogs trying to pass through to reach their food or leave to play. Since the gate opens in either direction, you can offer them the path of least resistance. Some effort is required to lift the gate before it will swing open which is also good. It’s easy enough for an adult to open but it would require considerable effort on the part of someone of small stature, such as a toddler.

The gate will close automatically if not opened close to 90 degrees. It is lightly sprung so you cannot leave it only partly open. Also when open there is a red indicator patch on the latch post that is covered when it’s properly closed. This tells you at a glance whether the gate is shut.

The only negative really, is that there is a horizontal beam at the floor level. We got used to it with our old gate. But people new to it and passing through often don’t lift their feet enough and risk tripping. If you like the look then this to me is the only thing to be aware of and pretty typical of all portable gates. I do feel it could be of a slightly lower profile since it is raised a little over an inch off the floor.

We are quite pleased with the gate. It does look better than most we have seen. And it works better than old Munchkin gate it replaced. It’s easy to install and comes with a simple flat metal spanner for fastening the gate to an entry way. So unless you want to use permanent anchors screwed into the door frame (we didn’t) everything you need is provided.

I recommend it.

Seek UW-AAA Thermal Imaging Camera USB Connector for Android Devices, Black
Seek UW-AAA Thermal Imaging Camera USB Connector for Android Devices, Black
Price: $249.00
4 used & new from $237.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Could Be Useful, February 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a neat little micro USB thermal camera for Android devices. It’s pretty small almost key-ring size and modeled to look like a camera icon.

It comes with a small, pocket-sized carrying case which locks very securely and is lined with rubber moulded to the shape of the camera (which fits very snugly). You also get a small key chain ring that can be used with the case to hook it to a keyring or whatever. The case was a little awkward at first. It closes very tightly and it’s not entirely obvious how it opens. Initially, it required almost too much force making me worry that the clasp would break. But subsequent use freed it a little without becoming loose.

The camera itself is small with a tiny sensor/lens and a male micro USB plug. So it’s very simple, no controls on board. To use it, you need your android device.

I tested it on a Samsung Galaxy S3 and a 10” Asus memopad. The latter is unusually (for an Android device) powered by an intel processor.

The Seek Thermal App is easy to find on google play. A small download that takes no time at all to install.

In use.

The camera plugs into the micro USB socket on your phone or tablet. As others have mentioned, this can be hit or miss depending on the orientation of the usb socket. The camera faces in only one direction so with the socket oriented the wrong way you will only be able to make thermal selfies.

On my S3 phone the orientation was correct. But I did have problems with the phone not recognizing the camera most of the time. For some reason 90% of the time the camera would not work. And on the odd occasion, it did was usually in the morning after a recharge

My Asus tablet had no problems recognizing the camera but the USB socket was the wrong way around. So I had to purchase an extension cable. There are many cables on the market and many don’t seem to work because they are designed for charging or data but not for peripherals like an external camera.

If you find yourself needing one and to save you some trouble, one that does work is the YCS basics 6” extension cable that you can purchase on amazon.

With the extension cable the tablet worked flawlessly. I was very pleased because my tablet is unusual in that it uses an intel processor, so some apps are not compatible despite being for the Android OS.

The software.

The software is pretty straightforward. It works like many camera apps. One niggle is that you get a trial but have to sign up with an email to permanently unlock the app.

It has a fairly simple user interface with online help. You can choose between various thermal color types and black and white processing. The black and white can be flipped depending on whether you want heat to be lighter or darker.

There is some customization so you can set thresholds which is very useful. You can have it set to color above or below a threshold temperature. So if you’re looking for heat and know at what temperature you’re most interested in viewing, you can set it. For example, if you have exposed a hot water pipe over 80 degrees and the ambient temps are around 70, you can set it to render temps above 80 Fahrenheit in color. This will give you a black and white image with the wire basically highlighted in oranges and yellows. So you can easily see where the hot parts are.

There is also basic metering which has two modes: Spot metering where it displays the temperature for a spot in the center of the screen and a dual temperature which points out the hottest and coldest portion in the current frame.

I tried the thermal camera for more practical uses like looking for damp. Fortunately my garage roof was not leaking. But I did do a quick test by leaving a damp rag out and seeing if the camera picked it out as being colder. It worked flawlessly. I did notice that the thermal images are more accurate the closer you are. Over long distances they become harder to distinguish and the image becomes more grainy where subtle transitions occur. Up close gradients are smooth and fairly detailed considering the fairly low resolution and cheap price.

Conclusion.

This camera is cheap for what it is. And I can see it having some practical use for contractors, home inspectors, engineers that might work in places where seeing thermal properties of an installation might be useful. Especially hot pipes and things that contrast quite strongly with their surroundings.

The camera comes in a small tough case that can be added to a keychain so it is portable and you can easily take it almost anywhere with you. When combined with a tablet or just your cell phone, it is very convenient.

I’m not sure how useful it is for your average joe. It is cheap for a thermal camera, but not if it’s just for the novelty of taking simple pictures. For someone who wants to check their house for damp spots or similar it could be useful but keep in mind that a little patience and experimentation is required to pick up more subtle temperature transitions.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2015 5:19 PM PST

Avery Ink Jet Magnetic Business Cards, 10 Precut Cards/Sheet, 30 Cards/Pack (8374)
Price: $10.02
26 used & new from $2.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Eye-Catching, Custom Cards, February 11, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In this pack you get three sheets of magnetic cards with 10 business cards on each sheet. Included in the pack is an information sheet that tells you where to find the templates and software you can use to print the cards. It’s all available on the Avery web page. The magnetic sheets are thinner than the ones professionals hand out. They have to be in order to pass through your printer. So they are slightly thicker than a standard business card. The ones I have have a Matte surface.

Design and laying out your cards:

The best options are the office templates or Avery’s own software. Avery has an online software suite as well as standalone. The online tools known as Avery online design and print are very good and I highly recommend them.

When I started on my first page I was a little concerned because I wanted 10 separate images with a different image on each card. Often this is quite tricky to do with templates since templates usually want to you duplicate the same image multiple times.

On first appearance it looked like the Avery online tools would be the same. You get templates to modify which duplicate the same image multiple times. Fortunately, if you choose to customize a design, on the top right of the online design tool above the thumbnail of your workpage there is a tab that lets you to edit all cards simultaneously or edit one at a time.

With edit one tab selected, I was able to import my images from the My Photo’s folder on my computer, rotate and scale them to fit on each individual card. The tools are much better than I had anticipated and allow for a lot of image, background and text customization. It was very easy to use with the uniform scale option meaning I didn’t get any distortion in my photos.

You can save online if you signed up for a free Avery account or you can store your images on your computer’s hard drive. It’s simple to load up the Avery web page and your project later on if you want to make changes.

Avery has done a good job of making easy-to-use and quite flexible tools accessible to anyone with an Internet connection. It’s also nice that they don’t require you to sign up to use their tools.

Printing.

This is where I had the most trouble through no fault of the product. I use the built-in Windows drivers on my computer to do simple printing. But many of the options of the manufacturer’s printer are missing. I could not select the media tray to print from and the designs kept using regular paper instead. I used my significant other’s laptop which did have the full Epson suite scan, fax, copy and print installed. And on their computer I had advanced settings including paper type and thickness as well as which media tray to print from.

Using the printer’s dedicated drivers solved my problem and the cards printed first time. I chose high quality printing on thick card. My first run was offset slightly because the feeder slipped and the images were misaligned but only by about 1/32 inch. The next print came out perfect. The print quality was much better than I expected. The magnetic business cards will accept a very fine quality print image that exceeded what I had initially expected.

So overall, this is better than I could have hoped for. The cards are thinner than professionally printed ones, but they look nice and though they look slightly sunken on the sheet, they feed flat and once separated from the sheet stay flat. The magnets are strong enough to hold a sheet of paper on the refrigerator and I am very pleased with the quality of the printing on the matte surface.

Overall a good experience, and it’s nice to be able to create your own custom cards.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2015 5:22 PM PST

Classic Brands 6-Inch Cool Gel Memory Foam Mattress, Twin
Classic Brands 6-Inch Cool Gel Memory Foam Mattress, Twin

4.0 out of 5 stars Recomended for the Guest Room or the College Student, February 9, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This memory foam mattress comes is quite low and fairly supportive. When you first unroll it, there will be an odor as is common with memory foam so, if possible, I would recommend unrolling it and leaving it in a rarely used room for a few days. If that’s not an option, then rest assured that the scent is not overwhelming.

I got this mattress for t wo reasons: to use as a guest mattress and because I wanted to see if two twin mattresses would work as a kind of “king mattress” for my husband and I. I also wanted to see how a 6 inch memory foam compared to our current 14-inch memory foam mattress. As far as comparisons go: as I said this mattress is much lower to the ground but is fairly supportive. It is also a little softer than our 14-inch which I like. I also like how light it is. This mattress is easy to carry around the house.

What I don’t like is how short it is. I guess it’s been a while since I slept on a twin but I have to say I had forgotten how short they are. At 5 feet 8 inches, I fit on it but if you’re a bit taller (6 foot or more) you should consider getting a twin XL.

Having said that, I would recommend this mattress for a college student (it is easy to carry round, fits anywhere, and provides a comfortable night’s sleep) or for a guest room for the same reasons.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2015 5:20 PM PST

Herbal Essences  Wild Naturals Rejuvenating Shampoo, 13.5 Fluid Ounce
Herbal Essences Wild Naturals Rejuvenating Shampoo, 13.5 Fluid Ounce
Price: $5.99
2 used & new from $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I Liked it, February 4, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The shampoo lathered well, smelled great and made my hair (which often has a mind of its own) manageable. And (and this is not a small thing) it made my hair feel really soft. My only complaint and maybe it’s just me but for a bit after my shower I could almost feel the shampoo on my hair and I didn’t really like that feeling. I should caution that while the Turkish fig smell is quite pleasant and not at all overpowering, this shampoo may not be for people who are very sensitive to scents of all kinds. Other than that, I quite like this shampoo.

OXO Good Grips Non-Scratch Scrubber with Tray
OXO Good Grips Non-Scratch Scrubber with Tray
Price: $5.99
4 used & new from $5.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Your Dishes, Pots and Pans, January 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I often get OXO kitchen products because they seem to take something commonplace and add an innovative twist to it, improving the “something” far more than one might expect.

This scrubber is no exception. We usually use the wavy shaped Scotch/3M blue non scratch scrubbers and like them, so I wasn’t sure about trying the good grips scrubber. It’s certainly an unusual design. It has a non-scratch surface that’s cushioned with a sponge and which provides an even pressure across the scrubbing surface and helps it conform to the underlying surface. The handle is made of rubber and easy to grip even when slippery. The scrubber comes with a clear plastic dish that looks like old fashioned glass, with nubs on so when you place the sponge down on it, there is some gap for ventilation and moisture to evaporate from. This might help prevent mildew forming too quickly if left damp for longer periods.

In use, it soon becomes apparent that this is designed for flat or at least larger surface areas. The diameter of the pad is big enough to fit in a regular coffee cup, but the inside sides are not going to be easy to clean properly while the bottom is much easier than normal. This scrubber is designed for dishes, pots and pans with large surfaces; it doesn’t matter if they are curved so long as there is enough space for the pad to slide around and cover the surface. It works very well and the non scratch pad is better than the 3M/Scotch ones. It is not as abrasive so I feel quite comfortable using it with my expensive English porcelain dinner sets. With more abrasive pads I would be worried about wearing off the decoration over time. With this particular non scratch pad, it does take a little more time to remove dried out food that is well stuck but nothing that a little soap and water won’t fix. You don’t have to scrub hard and the handle makes for a much more comfortable grip.

I didn’t feel that this worked well with kitchen utensils. As stated previously, it really is for larger surfaces that have space to slide the scrubber around, not so much for fine details like fork prongs. For what it is designed for it works exceptionally well and is very gentle.

So I really like it. The scrubber is supposed to have replaceable scrubbers. The handle simply twists off. But I haven’t found replacements anywhere yet. I don’t know if this is because it is new but even amazon doesn’t carry them at this time. Having said that, the scrubber is very reasonably priced at $6 and I noticed there are heavy duty scrubbers sold in pairs that fit the same handle available on amazon currently $8 for two. Which again is quite reasonable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2015 11:30 AM PST

Villeroy & Boch Plain Shower Towel, Blue
Villeroy & Boch Plain Shower Towel, Blue
Price: $56.07

4.0 out of 5 stars I quite like it, January 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let me begin with the bottom line. This is an extremely large, attractive towel (almost as big as a beach towel) that really does the job. But if you think super-soft when you see the word “luxurious” you will be disappointed. It is medium-soft and very absorbent but not snuggly, super-soft. This is not the towel you will drown in. But it is the towel that will dry you nicely.

When the towel arrived, it was pretty scratchy. It came in a large box and when I took it out I was struck by three things: it was very heavy, far heavier than I expected; it was big (about as big as beach towel as I mentioned) and it was almost hard to the touch. So, I washed it before using it (something that’s a good idea in any event). After going through the wash and dry cycles, it softened considerably. It still isn’t what I would call a soft and cuddly towel but it became medium-soft.

I have thick, shoulder length hair and normally have a hard time finding a towel that will absorb the water. This towel had no problems. This could be because it is so big (the bigger a towel, the more absorbent it tends to be) and because it is made up of many thin loops (many thin loops tend to absorb water better than thick ones). And of course a towel that’s 100% cotton is going to be far more absorbent than a towel that’s part polyester as polyester does not absorb water. So take all that together and this is a very, very absorbent towel that will probably get more so with use so long as I watch the detergent and softener build-up that tends to ruin towels. (One fairly inexpensive way to avoid the build-up by the way is to wash the towel with a half-cup of white vinegar.)

And, to top it off, this is a very attractive towel. It is a vibrant blue that did not fade as of the moment. It is not fancy—there is no motif to it—just the thick hem at the bottom of the towel but I quite like the plain, no-nonsense aspect of it on the one hand and the striking color on the other.

All in all, if you feel that $56 is not too much to spend on a bath towel and you are not looking for that snuggly-soft towel, this towel may be a good choice for you.

I quite like it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2015 11:31 AM PST

SABRE Elite Door Alarm
SABRE Elite Door Alarm
Offered by R Inventory
Price: $10.99
36 used & new from $2.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value for the Price, January 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a simple door/chime alarm that is very reasonably priced. It’s fairly compact with a magnetic sensor that works on either side of the device. A separate magnetic strip sits flush with the main unit when the door, window etc. is closed. When they separate by more than about ¼ inch the chime sounds or the alarm starts its countdown depending on the mode you set it to.

It’s quite effective and easy to install. You have to provide your own 3xAAA batteries (which are not included). The battery compartment lid is secured with a screw for a little extra security. Someone can’t just rip it off the wall and open the compartment that quickly. Setup is very simple; just a switch to choose chime or alarm mode. It’s a good idea to set the pin number while installing the batteries and the back plate is off and also have a cloth stuffed in the front to dampen the sound just in case. (It is very loud). I went with the chime. It is very loud and quite harsh and does a good job of notifying you if the door is opened without having to rush over and deactivate it (like you would with an alarm).

The unit can be mounted with supplied screws and anchors or double-sided adhesive pad. I have a garage with a small studio workshop behind it. This is where I installed the door alarm/chime. The alarm is loud enough to hear from the house, especially at night. The sound the chime produces is not a pleasant bing like you might hear in a store. It is definitely designed to be more of an alarm and sounds piercing and somewhat harsh. You won’t mistake it for a doorbell, that’s for sure.

It will work with any kind of door or window that swings or slides open. So long as there is room to place the two parts on opposite edges of the opening.

The only negative I can see for the device is that the keypad needs to be mounted flush against the opening since the magnetic force has to bridge the gap of the door and not exceed about ¼ of an inch. So it is quite visible and could get caught on something going through the doorway. Because of this I’d recommend mounting it quite high up. For a door chime it would have been nice to have the sensor moveable by being attached to wire and allowing the main unit be located more remotely (assuming cutting the wire would activate the alarm).

I’m not sure how effective it would be as a full blown alarm since you have about half a minute to deactivate it. That’s plenty of time for someone who’s prepared to remove the device from the door frame and smother/destroy it. On the other hand, it is loud and harsh and not going to be mistaken for a doorbell. So there is a good chance that an opportunistic thief would make a hasty retreat rather than investigate further. That’s the main reason I am using it as a chime. I feel that is enough to make me aware of an intruder.

So a mixed bag depending on what you intend to use it for. But for the price it is good value.

Linksys AC3200 Tri-Band Smart Wi-Fi Router with Gigabit and USB, Designed for Device-Heavy Homes, Smart Wi-Fi App Enabled to Control Your Network from Anywhere (EA9200-4A)
Price: $297.99
10 used & new from $262.00

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a pretty nice looking piece of kit, January 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a pretty nice looking piece of kit. It looks sleek and has gentle curves. It stands upright with a narrow profile and so takes up less space on a cluttered desk with a tasteful glowing Linksys logo that indicates the status of the device. It flashes slowly when disconnected and is solid when connected. It has a WPS button and wireless on/off button on one side. The wireless button glows bright orange if the wireless is deactivated making it relatively easy to spot.

On the rear panel you have:

Recessed factory reset button
Power On/Off switch
2x USB for networking and USB storage
Ethernet Internet input (from your existing router/modem)
4x Ethernet ports for wired networking.

Each of the ports has twin LEDS Orange and Green to show network status.

The unit is powered by an external 12v supply, a small transformer with cords from each side. One side plugs into the unit the other into the wall outlet via a standard plug so no adjoining sockets are blocked from use.

Setup:

Setup proved quite troublesome in my case.

I have an ATT proprietary router that provides an internet connection. I have multiple Wifi and a wired desktop computer.

Initially I tried wireless setup. The router comes with a simple bifold pamphlet with basic and very simple instructions. A login and password are provided to let you log into the router. Either wirelessly, or by directly plugging your computer into one of the Ethernet ports.

I tried wirelessly with windows 8 via one of our notebooks. All seemed to be going well only the wifi connection showed limited status. But I did login, created a smartwifi account online, logged in at which point I ended up being stuck in a loop requesting some kind of firmware. I actually went online to see if there was a new firmware and whether it could be updated manually but there was no compatible upgrade tool. Just a file.

I decided to forget the wireless setup and try installing directly through a wired Ethernet connection but had much the same problem. I also tried a couple of alternative web addresses and IP’s to no avail. I kept getting the same web based loop after logging into smartwifi.

Anyway, to cut a long story short. After trying a couple of times on separate occasions I decided it was probably broken. Linksys don’t have the best support options available. Other than realtime chat, there was no way to send an email with images illustrating the problem. I put this off and then remembered I have one other notebook with Windows 8.1 installed.

Strangely, this time around I went through the same procedure. The only difference this time was that I renamed the router on the network during setup and didn’t use the default Linksys####. Otherwise the procedure was the same. This time when I logged in I was not stuck in a loop. The smart wifi menus popped up and everything worked perfectly first time. I had complete access to settings. My phone and tablet connected and any device plugged in an Ethernet port was given a dynamic IP and worked.

Android and iPhone Apps.

I had already tried these early on when unable to setup via computer. I thought I’d try my phone or tablet. But you can not setup from scratch that way. Only change the configuration and settings after the initial installation.

Anyway, the apps are simple and elegant and easy to use no problems there.

In Use.

Once installed properly the router works wonderfully and takes little space. I relocated the humungouse ATT router to an empty draw with the linksyst hooked up to it and placed on top of the counter.

It runs flawlessly. The 2.4ghz signal is strong and reaches across the whole 6500 square foot yard of ours while the 5ghz connection just barely covers the whole house. 5Ghz has the benefit of a less noisy signal since all your and your neighbors wireless devices mostly still use 2.4 leaving 5ghz range free. In fact, we are the only people in our immediate locale with 5ghz. The short range also makes it more secure from tampering. 2.5ghz was quite busy with about 9 other networks reachable from our home, many sharing the same channels.

Speed is fine but limited by the original router that passes on the internet signal. The router comes with built in tools like speed test, but only tests up and downstream speeds. Not the ping which is how fast it makes a connection. I tested this externally and only lost 1ms compared to the wired connection. 25/26ms vs 24 wired. So still great for fast action multiplayer games over the internet.

One nice feature of the router is that you can prioritize which computer gets the most bandwidth and prioritize for multimedia streaming. Which can be handy if you have a dedicated machine in the house for streaming tv and video while other people are sharing your connection.

A separate guest connection can be enabled by checking a box in the smart wifi front menu. This shows as a separate guest wifi access point with it’s own login and password and con configurability. Keeping your visitors on a separate network loop. Which is a nice feature.

I’m not sure why this router gave me such a hard time initially. Once setup it worked perfectly, even on computers that it refused to play nice with in earlier attempts. As I mentioned before, the only change I made was to rename the routers network name during the initial setup process instead of keeping default. Since then no problems.

The only other niggle was that when I picked it up to relocate it and plug in a wired device I found that it stopped working. (Turned out to be my fault) but the illuminated button on the side that turns wireless on/off is easy to press if you pick it up. And not immediately obvious if you cant see the right hand side of the unit.

It I hadn’t had all the hassle early on and it worked out the box as it should I’d have given it five stars on the understanding that money is no objective as it is fairly expensive.

As it is, I’m not entirely sure where the fault lies but I’m glad I gave it that last shot and think it worth 3 to 4 stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20