Profile for Inna Tysoe > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 596

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Inna Tysoe "Inna Tysoe" RSS Feed (Sacramento)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Ernie Ball 4600 Super Locks, Nickel
Ernie Ball 4600 Super Locks, Nickel
Price: $17.00
27 used & new from $11.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, August 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I bought my guitar I knew I had to get strap locks. But having spent a small fortune on the guitar, amplifier and other accessories I went with the cheapest I could find: the Dunlop plastic ones.

These are much better than those.

The straplocks come in a small ziplock bag and include screws and buttons and the snap-on locking caps themselves. Installation is fairly straightforward. My guitar is one of the more expensive Squire models ( Vintage Modified Stratocaster. I mention this because the more expensive non squire fender models may use different hardware). The one niggle I had during installation is that the Ernie Ball screws are longer and thinner. Since the original holes are slightly wider, there is a bit of play till you screw deeper than about ½ inch. It did still tighten firmly but I was still a little worried that the threads might eventually give.

My solution was to put a small bead of expanding glue and smear it along the first ½ inch of the screw kind of like you would thread a lock on a metal machine screw. That held the Ernie ball buttons more securely. I used a very small amount so it didn’t ooze out the top when I was tightening the locks. When I was done, they felt secure.

The strap side of the locks is in three parts: the decorative end cap, a large washer and a nut. You slide your strap onto the post on the cap, the strap is then sandwiched between the cap and the washer with the nut. Once done, the strap slides over the buttons on the guitar and latch similar to the sockets on a snap-on socket tool set.

It works very well and it’s hard to accidentally unlatch because you have to squeeze the catch on opposite sides to release the locking mechanism using two fingers. Once attached, the strap rotates freely and smoothly almost like it’s on ball bearings.

Visually, the only thing I’m not that keen on is how far the locks stand out from the guitar. The strap stands offset about an inch from the guitar body with an additional half inch of cap extending beyond the strap. It looks a bit odd in profile but does hold the strap far away. Unlike my old straplocks, the strap never touches the body of the guitar so there shouldn’t be any premature wear.

On a Stratocaster type guitar the posts could easily be reduced by half an inch and it would look much nicer and be just as effective.

Having said all that these strap locks work very well. They have a much less industrial look to them than other brands and, from most angles, don’t look bad at all. I doubt if people would really notice the length of the posts while you’re playing and the straps can be removed in a couple of seconds if you like to have your guitar out on display. When the strap is removed the buttons actually look nicer than stock.

Conclusion: There were three popular straplocks that came highly recommended. These Ernie Ball ones were among the three I was considering. They work well. I haven’t had them that long but they do feel secure and are far better than the cheap plastic locks I was using previously. Now that I have tried them I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase them for other guitars I might own in the future.

I recommend them.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Nature Valley Toasted Oats Muesli, Blueberry, 11 Ounce
Nature Valley Toasted Oats Muesli, Blueberry, 11 Ounce
Price: $13.30
6 used & new from $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good cereal but too expensive, August 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I tend to eat cereal as a snack, by itself and with another (usually bland) cereal. I always eat cereal cold. As a snack, this cereal sort of works. I like eating it but don’t care much for the salt after-taste. This may be due to the fact that we don’t eat much salt and so I am particularly sensitive to it but I think it worth mentioning. When you add milk to it, the salt is a lot less noticeable but still there. So, for me this cereal is best when combined with another cereal such as Honey Oats. The other problem with this cereal is that it’s $13.30 for 11 ounces. Yes, it’s very filling, so you actually don’t need a large serving to fill you up but even so, when you consider that comparable cereals are about a quarter of the price, the expense seems hard to justify.

However, if you don’t mind the expense and like salt (a lot of people do) this is a good cereal.

Schlage F170 ACC 716 CAM RH Camelot Collection Right Hand Accent Decorative Trim Lever, Aged Bronze
Price: $24.36
13 used & new from $16.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Lovely, July 30, 2015
We bought a Camelot style outdoor electronic deadbolt and needed a simple but elegant-looking handle to grasp and hold the door closed when locking the deadbolt. This decorative dummy handle was the least expensive stylish handle we found. It’s a static door handle fixed to the door that does not twist. It’s there to let you hold on to something so that closing the door is a lot easier.

The handle comes in simple frustration-free packaging that includes the handle and hardware plus simple single sheet of paper instructions. You will need to source a drill and correct size bit as well as a Philips head screwdriver to complete the installation.

The installation itself is simple. The handle is screwed into the door with two Philips screws and comes with a simple template for marking holes to drill. The holes are centered on the base so you can easily work out your positioning. I simply placed a vertical strip of masking tape on the door and marked the holes on the tape through the template using a punch. Then I drilled the holes, removed the tape and screwed on the handle. The procedure took about five minutes.

Once done, we had quite an attractive-looking, aged bronze handle that goes well with the deadbolt we bought and with the dark-green door. A lovely and practical result.

I highly recommend it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2015 8:40 AM PDT

Death in Paradise, Season 1
Death in Paradise, Season 1
DVD
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Way to Relax, July 29, 2015
The plots are formulaic, the characters are stereotypes, and the clues are always there right at the start arranged so as to help you arrive at precisely the wrong conclusion. (Hence, no doubt, the lecture at the end of each episode.) And I love it.

Unlike far too many movies these days, these series are just a simple, straightforward who-dunnit, set in a lush setting. They are a perfect way to relax, safe in the knowledge that the detective in his funny English suit and tie will nab his man (or woman), that there will be classic wry British humor to be had and that, in the end, all will be revealed—whether I work out who did it and why or not.

So if you’re looking for a great way to relax after a long day’s work, this series is just about perfect.

Dove Advanced Hair Series Conditioner, Youthful Vitality 8.45 oz
Dove Advanced Hair Series Conditioner, Youthful Vitality 8.45 oz
Price: $4.48
9 used & new from $4.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh Scent and Does its Job, July 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Like other conditioners, this one works by adding the oils that get taken away during the day (as well as by shampoo) and by protecting your hair. As such, it contains Dimethicone (a humecant that attracts water—this is something to be aware of since if your hair gets frizzy this may make it worse; I was fine but then my hair rarely gets frizzy), oil (in this case coconut oil), Dimethylamine (a replacement for silicone that coats the hair), and a Dimethicone (a surfactant that coats the hair and helps the hairs slide past one another). In short, it works.

It has a pleasantly fresh though not terribly strong scent that I quite enjoyed and you really don’t need to use a lot of it. I also appreciate that, unlike some other conditioners, you don’t really feel it in your hair once it’s dried. And, at the current price of $4.48 it seems reasonable.

I recommend it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2015 8:39 AM PDT

Schlage BE365VCAM716 Camelot Keypad Deadbolt, Aged Bronze
Schlage BE365VCAM716 Camelot Keypad Deadbolt, Aged Bronze
Price: $92.32
41 used & new from $78.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lock and the Key is in Your Head, July 29, 2015
This Schlage electronic keypad deadbolt has a trusted design that has been around for a number of years. We had our old nickel one for about five years and it has been very reliable. That one moved from the front door to the garage side door and we now have a Smartkey lock with remote key fob on the front entry to the house.

When it came to installing a lock for our studio door we went back to the Schlage because of its price and reliability. The new lock has had some minor improvements from the original we bought a few years ago. These revisions make installation easier with simple inexpensive additions to the original internal design.

As I had mentioned, installation is easy. The lock comes with two bolt length options. The most significant change to our old lock was the wire that feeds from the front keypad to the rear panel. With the old lock you had a thin wire with a TINY cap that pressed onto a pin on a circuit board on the back. It was incredibly fiddly when you consider that the sprung fastened cap was only about 0.08 inches or 2mm in diameter. In this new lock, it was a simple plastic plug that you just press in and it snaps into place. Sounds trivial but it removed minutes of frustration. After the basic assembly as shown in the first video on the amazon page, you just plug in the included 9 volt battery and follow simple instructions in the manual to program your lock.

One nice thing I really like about this lock is that the deadbolt uses a clutch to engage the handle. You use the keypad to engage the clutch that lets the deadbolt work. After a few seconds the clutch is automatically disengaged and the latch spins freely.

This makes it fairly tamper proof. In some ways it’s safer than our remote lock because there is less chance of someone trying to hack the lock remotely with some kind of wifi connection. We had our previous one for about five years and still use it on a daily basis. So I can tell you this lock is dependable. If you change the battery once a year you will probably never have to worry about it going flat. So far, I have replaced the battery on the old one every 12 to 18 months regardless of capacity and have used the old one for various electronic devices. These locks can also be opened with a regular key. Two are provided. We keep ours safe in a location where we can retrieve one in an emergency.

Originally we bought this lock after a key broke in our old fashioned one. We had to call out a locksmith who spent three hours trying to drill out the old lock. It made a lot of noise, caused us (and our neighbors) a lot of frustration and then (to add insult to injury) cost us almost $300. That’s the price of three of these locks. So we bought this lock and we are so glad we did. It makes life so much easier not having to carry keys around. The keypad is illuminated and easy to use in the dark. You never have to fumble looking for keys. It’s a great addition to our garage and studio because of the number of times you go to the garage on some chore only to find the keys are back at the house. With the studio which is on a wing of the house we used to leave it unlocked because the frustration of going back and forth for keys seemed like a lot of hassle.

We really like these locks. You can have several codes. Each member of our family has their own pin. We gave our sister in law one so they could crash even if we aren’t home. And we can create one on a whim should we have contractors or pet sitters visiting when we are away.

When they first came out they were about 50% more expensive but they’re affordable now and I can’t recommend them enough.

The only problem you might have with this lock is if you pull to close it really helps to have a second handle to grip and hold the door shut while you turn the handle. The twist knob on the deadbolt is not the easiest to grip and pull strongly, especially while twisting at the same time. For the garage and studio door we bought a cheap dummy knob to hold onto for this reason. That does the trick quit nicely.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2015 8:40 AM PDT

The Last Wish: Introducing The Witcher
The Last Wish: Introducing The Witcher
by Andrzej Sapkowski
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $5.68
64 used & new from $4.06

4.0 out of 5 stars A novel of second first impressions, July 28, 2015
You know the saying you can never make a second first impression? I think Sapkowski does too. Because The Last Wish, perhaps more than other Witcher stories I have read, is about how important second first impressions are.

The Last Wish is a collection of six—or perhaps more accurately seven—short stories that, between them tell us what kind of man Geralt of Rivia is. The first story introduces us to what he is: a witcher, a man who as a boy was magically mutated so he could kill monsters. Monsters like a striga that haunts the royal palace, for example. So far, so straightforward. But nothing is ever straightforward where Geralt is concerned. For the contract is not to kill the striga but to reverse the curse. You see, the striga is the king’s daughter and he wants to reverse the curse because he can feel that his daughter is suffering.

Geralt does so – and then has to go to the temple of Melitele to recover from his wounds. The other stories take place as he is wondering about the woods surrounding the temple (I quite liked the humane way in which Sapkowski turns Beauty and the Beast on its head here) or in his memory (as he remembers various events from his life: encountering wizards and supposedly cursed princesses, the Law of Surprise, what goddesses look like when they walk among mortals, and a genie). The seventh story is the story of Nenneke, a priestess of the Mother Goddess who mothers Geralt back to health and, indeed, treats him as a mother would.

Nenneke works to heal Geralt physically and mentally and she tries to discover what Destiny has in store for him. In the process she also lets him watch as she tries to save what she can of earth’s bounty; it is a hopeless battle but there is nobility in it.

And that perhaps is why Nenneke’s story is the one that holds the disparate threads of Geralt’s life together. For Geralt, like Nenneke, is fighting a hopeless battle; one that he insists (to himself especially) that he is most assuredly not fighting. But there is nobility in the fight. Just as there is great nobility in Geralt himself.

No matter that the first impression he makes (with his cat-like eyes, pale skin, white hair, and many scars) is always going to be a poor one. With Geralt, as with other characters in this novel: the “good guys” and the “monsters” alike second first impressions are what count.

Maxcraft 60198 3-watt LED Mini Headlamp Multilight with Cree XP-G R4 LED Bulb
Maxcraft 60198 3-watt LED Mini Headlamp Multilight with Cree XP-G R4 LED Bulb
Price: $19.57
3 used & new from $13.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat Little Headlight, July 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This neat little headlight comes in one of those frustrating moulded platic packages that require some work to open safely.

In the package, you get a one-inch wide adjustable strap with a glow in the dark rubber cradle that holds the separate headlight. One nice thing is that a Energizer AAA battery is included in the packaging. So everything you need to get up and running is included.

The mini flashlight itself is small. About the size of an average adult males index finger. The lense is at 90 degrees so when mounted horizontally in the rubber headstrap cradle it can point forwards and rotate to pitch up and down. There is only a single button which is made of the same glow in the dark rubber as the cradle. This is convenient so long as the headlight is stored out in fairly bright light. It needs quite bright light to charge the glow in the dark rubber.

The single button has six actions which are cycled through with each subsequent press. High beam, Medium Beam, Low beam, strobe flashing and SOS and finally off.

The bulb is very bright and with a single AAA battery. You can’t expect the power to last forever but it is stated to last a reasonable amount of time. High 1 hour, Medium 2.5 hours, Low 4 hours. Both flashing modes are listed at 8 hours.

The battery lasts well enough. The high beam is very bright, much brighter than expected and low beam is adequate for most of my uses. I typically use head mounted flashlights to see what I am doing while using fiddly high precision tools. Soldering, or pocking around with electronics and inside confined spaces where it is inconvenient to work while holding a light in one of your hands.

This headlamp does have a magnetic base. It’s not quite strong enough to mount on a completely vertical surface because the center of gravity is offset too much but it will stay upside down on something metal that is relatively stationary.

I’m very pleased with this headlight. I haven’t had any problems with the switch myself. The button seems reliable enough and the whole thing despite the light being metal construction is not at all heavy. It’s light on your head so not a lot of tension is required for the elastic to hold it securely to your head. So comfortable and not likely to initiate a headache with extended use.

I recommend it.

Wind Chimes for Home Garden, Patio, Terrace & Balcony - The Freedom Chime - Size 28" Medium
Offered by Brooklyn Basix
Price: $44.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely sound, July 26, 2015
Length:: 0:18 Mins

I've always wanted a wind chime. I am not sure why; maybe it's because I love history and wind chimes were historically used to scare away evil spirits. In any event, I always felt that when we get our own home, one of the things that we would get would be a wind chime. So now we have one and I am quite pleased with it. We hung it up in the patio and, on hot summer days it is quite nice to hear the occasional chime and be reminded that there is actually some wind out there. The chime itself has a bright tone as the one of the components listed is aluminum. It is also loud enough to be heard through double-glazed windows. But it has a very pleasant tone indeed. What is more (and this may matter to those of you with pets) our dogs quickly adjusted to the chime and do not seem to be bothered by the extra noise at all now.

At 28 inches total, the chime is large enough that it is visible and adds a nice touch to our patio. I really like it. I looked around online and, compared to similar chimes, this one is quite reasonably priced.

Another nice touch that I really appreciated was the e-mail I received from the manufacturer telling me how to care for the chime, maintain the bamboo and clean the aluminum tubes. That is the kind of customer service I truly appreciate.

So if you are looking for a reasonably-priced wind chime to add a bit of sound and décor to your patio, I highly recommend this one.

Disclosure: I was provided this wind chime at a reduced price for the purpose of completing a fair and honest review. This review was not influenced by the manufacturer in any way.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2015 8:38 AM PDT

Tresemme Shampoo, Youth Boost, 9 Ounce
Tresemme Shampoo, Youth Boost, 9 Ounce
Price: $4.29
10 used & new from $0.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, July 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this shampoo as a break from Pantene Color Preserve and got similarly (good) results from it. Not surprising, I suppose when you consider that their top ingredients are fairly similar. The top ingredients in TreSemme’s Youth Boost Shampoo are: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate (a foaming agent), Cocamidopropyl betaine (foam booster), Sodium Chloride (cleansing agent), Glycerin (a humectant). Pantene’s top ingredients are Water, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (an alcohol), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, and Glycol Disterearate (a moisturizer). The one thing that I like better about TRESemme is that you don’t need to use a lot of it. It really foams your hair—probably because it has a foaming agent and a foaming booster as two if its top ingredients. On the other hand, I found that the TRESemme shampoo makes my hair a little less manageable. I have shoulder-length, color treated hair that occasionally has a mind of its own and I found that after using the TRESemme shampoo, my hair was just a little bit less easy to manage. Another plus is that it does not seem to be noticeably harsher on my hair color than the Pantene Color Preserve shampoo. I also liked the scent. It’s there but it’s not overbearing.

So my overall impression is that it’s a good shampoo that may well work for your hair.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2015 8:39 AM PDT