Profile for Nicole Mohr > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 22

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nicole Mohr RSS Feed (Simi Valley, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Raising My Rainbow: Adventures in Raising a Fabulous, Gender Creative Son
Raising My Rainbow: Adventures in Raising a Fabulous, Gender Creative Son
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, honest book, July 23, 2014
Sometimes, when reading a book about a person's experience with controversial issues, I can tell from the get go that the author has crafted every part of the "true" story to reveal his or her ideal self rather than the reality of the issue. This book is not that way. Lori tells the truth, even when it casts her in a non flattering light. I love how this book reveals the thought process of any parent who has a child who does not conform to society's definition of normal.

Sprout
Sprout
Price: $5.38

3.0 out of 5 stars Author Tries to Hard to Create Literary Merit and Clearly Doesn't Know His Target Audience. And the End Stinks., July 7, 2014
This review is from: Sprout (Kindle Edition)
I've read a lot of YA lit, including a lot of gay YA lit, and this book is very much 50/50 for me. On one hand, the writer doesn't make the entire book about the fact that the character is gay. He has a lot else going on in his life, and the well-rounded realities of the characters is appreciated. On the other hand, Peck just tries to hard to make this literature. The obsession with the dictionary is just plain irritating. The book gets off to an incredibly slow start. Too much time is spent developing the relationship with his teacher, Mrs. Miller. Much of this detail was probably necessary for him in writing the story, but should have been edited out before we had to read the story. It was superfluous character building. Less is more. I almost quit the book a few chapters in, but I was glad I hung on. The second half of the book is excellent. The attempts at dramatic irony would be a nice touch -- if he didn't find it so necessary to actually point out the irony. That just makes it feel like the audience is dumb, which I don't appreciate. Finally, if Peck is so concerned with audience interpretation that he actually points out the irony, then why the heck does he think the depressing cliffhanger ending is appropriate? It wasn't interesting. It didn't add literary merit. It was just irritating. And empty. Very much empty.

I firmly feel that YA lit plays a role in the LGBT movement, and that role is along the lines of the "It Gets Better" project. This book DOESN'T make me believe that it "It Gets Better." If I were a gay teen reading this book, it would terrify me by confirming that many of my fears about being gay were true. That sucks.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
by Benjamin Alire Saenz
Price: $5.92
87 used & new from $2.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book that explores the complicated lives of teenage boys as they really are..., June 16, 2014
I loved every second of this book. Ari and Dante are as real as any teen boys as I have ever met, and I am a high school teacher. As they explore their own thoughts, readers get inside their hearts. I found myself crying so many times in this book. Great book. If you like John Green, you will probably like this book.

Highland Surrender
Highland Surrender
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't read romance, but I loved this book., July 2, 2013
Excellent book. The beginning chapters had me in tears for the emotional plight of Myles and Fiona. Their deep frustrations and emotions were so sincere and understandable. The romantic tension in this book builds so beautifully that although I have previously found myself disgusted at intimacy depicted in literature, I was captivated and delighted with the romance in the end of this book. Brogan so masterfully builds towards these scenes that I found myself longing for their union. Beautifully written!

The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn
The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent narration of history, June 7, 2013
Excellent book. Romance, murder, and intrigue, peppered with bits of history in human narration, laden with emotion. A beautiful way to understand the virgin queen.

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood
Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood
by Marjane Satrapi
Price: $7.88
679 used & new from $1.52

5.0 out of 5 stars A Necessary Dose of Perspective on the Middle East, September 18, 2012
I have taught this book to my tenth grade English students for the past five years, and I believe it has helped to send my former students into society as informed adults with enough perspective to see Iranian people as fellow global citizens, not Middle Eastern enemies.
Satrapi wrote the book to inform people about the Islamic Revolution and to give readers an insider perspective. I know that the book was originally written in French, and then later translated to English, which are the main languages of the Western world. This points to her intended audience - Westerners. Satrapi was trying to show the Western world what Iranian people are really like -- not extremists, not radical Muslims - but mostly peace-loving, creative, independently thinking people who value their Persian culture and lifestyle and have suffered greatly for remaining in their homeland in spite of the challenges.
Throughout the book, she paints herself as religiously moderate and politically involved, even as a child, and not at all negative towards the West. With images of the Iranian hostage crisis in the back of our minds, it is easy for Americans to assume that all Iranians hate Americans, but this is far from true. Satrapi shows her love for Western culture and music and books with Michael Jackson and Kim Wilde and Iron Maiden. She mostly clearly demonstrates the impact of their suffering with how drastically the loss of her Uncle Anoosh impacted her. She also wants people to have the facts about the revolution as well, which we see in the wealth of historical information integrated into her memoir.
I personally believe that Satrapi was very effective in helping society see Iranians differently, mostly from my personal experience. Before reading this book six years ago, I assumed that if the theocracy remains in power, that must mean that the majority of people in Iran must be really religious and anti-West, or else why wouldn't they overthrow their government? This book helped me see that they are really suffering under a different kind of tyranny, and also helped me understand why it happened. She shows why they overthrew the Shah - for freedom from an oppressive government, a government in which she knew that the difference between the social classes caused many people pain, but then she also shows throughout the rest of the book how the Iranian people were manipulated into becoming faithful to an Islamic regime.
The serious re-structuring of schools caused great suffering and contributed to the difficulty with changing mindsets. If the religious government controls the schools, then the children are inculcated with the religious ideas, much like how Marjane was initially inculcated with the thought that the Shah was chosen by God. In addition, the Islamic regime ultimately secured their power by uniting the Iranian people in war against a foreign enemy and carrying on the war until the society was so completely devastated, they would not have the energy or desire to cause further revolt of any kind.
I think this is an important topic for the Western world to see, as Western relations with Iran affect us in many ways. Our government currently has strict economic sanctions on Iran, which causes our gas prices to go up and impacts us where we feel it the most, our wallets; however, most people do not see the reason behind this, and why the world needs to take note of the tyranny in Iran. In addition, many people here in the United States lump together all of the people in the Middle East under the label of "Arabs" and then furthermore, see them all as extreme Muslims and terrorists, particularly since 9/11. As a student pointed out in class today, the book was published shortly after 9/11, which is likely not a coincidence. In the days after this event, many Americans viewed any Middle Eastern man with a beard or any Middle Eastern woman with a hijab as a terrorist, a threat; yet Marjane paints us a much needed picture of a world so many Americans do not realize exists - a world in which many free spirited Iranian people endure a forced dress code that represents far more oppression than we here in America could ever imagine.

Logitech S150 USB Speakers with Digital Sound
Logitech S150 USB Speakers with Digital Sound
Price: $11.53
50 used & new from $7.11

1.0 out of 5 stars About the same volume as internal speakers, December 13, 2011
I bought these speakers for use in my classroom, for showing movies and playing video clips, etc., in class, as the speakers on the actual laptop are not loud enough for the entire class to hear. Honestly, the volume on these was not much louder than the actual internal speakers on the laptop. I might as well not have speakers at all. While, to a certain extent, you get what you pay for, the speakers I had before this were actually cheaper and worked much better (but sadly, a student dropped them, and they broke).

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely best nursing pads available, July 8, 2011
I tried several different disposable pads before moving to these. All of the other washable pads were too bulky and could be totally seen through my clothes, but these are so thin and discreet that they are not noticeable under a thin nursing camisole. One would think something so thin would not be absorbent enough. I had crazy leakage issues, and these really did the trick, more than disposables. The fabric is so soft and doesn't feel cold or icky when it is wet.
I will advise that you should buy several pairs if you don't want to wash them often. Hand washing them in the sink did the trick for me, but you do need to wash them every day if you have a lot of leakage. As I had been nursing longer and leaked less, I could go several days without washing, but at first, you will need a lot.

Evenflo Tribute 5 Convertible Car Seat, Kristy
Evenflo Tribute 5 Convertible Car Seat, Kristy
Offered by Price Cellar
Price: $81.59
6 used & new from $66.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Price, July 8, 2011
I read all the reviews before buying this and was worried it would be hard to install and a pain to open and close, based on the reviews. Let me tell you, it is not either of those. I also bought a much much more expensive First Years car seat, based on reviews, and it was WAY harder to install. This car seat was a piece of cake to install, it is more attractive than any other car seat I have seen- the colors are beautiful- and it is not at all hard to open. It only gets 4 stars because the straps need to be unthreaded from the back to change the size, which is not something that has to be done with more expensive car seats, but if you are going to spend less than $100, buy this one. Even most of the $100+ Graco ones need to be unthreaded too, and this one is way better for way less money.

Snappi Cloth Diaper Fasteners - Pack of 2 (Light Blue / Bright Blue)
Snappi Cloth Diaper Fasteners - Pack of 2 (Light Blue / Bright Blue)
Offered by ToysNGamesEtc
Price: $9.00
4 used & new from $2.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Necessary to cloth diaper with prefolds, June 30, 2011
What would cloth diapering moms do without these? The diaper service I use says they are "optional" and that you can just lay it in a cover, but it leaks without this wonderful contraption.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3