Profile for Craig > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 413

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Craig RSS Feed (Ohio)

Price: $19.08
27 used & new from $15.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for kids and parents, May 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My daughter had previously expressed some interest in what we were doing in the kitchen, so we decided to get this book for her. Within a day of its reception, she had picked out several recipes to try on the first weekend after getting it in her hands.

As with any DK books, there are copious photos supporting the instructions and making the book far more attractive to kids. The list of items they'll need are clear, and the instructions are written clearly enough for kids (or inept cooking parents like me) to understand. The recipes aren't all easy, but neither are they so complicated that older kids are going to struggle with them. They've done a great job not only of organizing the book into logical chapters, but also of including food items that are likely to appeal to kids.

I'm very impressed with everything about this book, especially the fact that it has my daughter interested in taking on a larger role in terms of food preparation. Cooking is a great life skill and one that some kids don't take to naturally, so any help is appreciated. A great choice.

Ortho Weed B Gon Weed Killer, RTU Trigger 1 gal
Ortho Weed B Gon Weed Killer, RTU Trigger 1 gal
Price: $6.96
3 used & new from $6.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Works okay, but ineffective on some weeds, May 6, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've found that the best way to kill weeds still tends to be maintaining healthy soil, but dandelions and other weeds inevitably slip into the mix. We've used this version of Weed B Gon on a few spots, and the results have been good but not great.

When used on dandelions, it does work although you shouldn't expect immediate results. I found that it took a few days before they starting folding in on themselves. We've got a few other types of weeds sprouting out, and I've seen no change with this product. I find the spray trigger easy to work, and we haven't had any problems with leaking or running.

If dandelions are your main problem, this is a good choice. Otherwise, I would suggest something a little stronger or more effective on more weeds, with the best option likely being a Scott's or other type of spray/spread that you use on your whole lawn.

Columbia Big Girls' Girls Switchback Jacket, Light Grape, Medium
Columbia Big Girls' Girls Switchback Jacket, Light Grape, Medium
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit, and very light weight, May 6, 2015
I purchased this jacket for my eight-year-old, who recently outgrew her previous rain jacket. We've had it for a few weeks, and I'm very impressed.

The first thing you'll notice with this jacket is the extreme light weight, which my daughter really appreciates. There's nothing worse than having to sweat through a heavy rain jacket on an 80-degree day, and that's definitely not a problem with this offering from Columbia. Between the extreme light weight and the vent in the back, the wearer is able to keep both cool and dry. The material also does an excellent job of repelling water, and it shakes off nicely.

We purchased the medium size for my daughter who usually wears a 7/8, and the fit has been excellent. It conforms nicely to whatever she's wearing, and the material is flexible enough that it's not tight if she's wearing a sweater underneath. I also like that the hood stays on well, and doesn't tend to slip down with the slightest breeze. This is an easy five-star product for us, and I wish all clothing purchases worked out this well.

Don't Lose Her (The Max Freeman Mysteries)
Don't Lose Her (The Max Freeman Mysteries)
by Jonathon King
Price: $13.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent thriller from an under-appreciated author, May 6, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In this seventh installment of his Max Freeman series, King again keeps the pages turning with tight plotting and plenty of action. A federal judge has been kidnapped, a woman who also happens to be married to a friend of Max, and Freeman is soon on the hunt to find her and to unravel the motivation for her kidnapping.

Freeman is an interesting lead, and I appreciate that he seems to have matured as this series continues instead of becoming a stock character. I also think that King does an amazing job of utilizing the Florida setting almost as a character itself, much as James W. Hall does in his Thorn series. King has won an Edgar and I know that his books do fairly well, but he still doesn't seem to have the following that I think his books merit.

My only complaint about this one is that the ending felt slightly forced and weak, and didn't compare well with the rest of the book. Even with that, however, it's a quick and enjoyable entry in an excellent series. Hopefully those who are picking up this title as their introduction to the series will go back and read the others, too.

The Bone Tree (Penn Cage)
The Bone Tree (Penn Cage)
by Greg Iles
Price: $17.57
99 used & new from $11.44

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting sequel to Natchez Burning, April 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I think several of the reviews already posted have done a great job of describing the events of this second in Iles' Natchez trilogy, so I'll stick to what I liked or didn't like.

As with Natchez Burning, this book does a great job mixing the stories and motivations of a wide cast of characters with Penn Cage at the center. Penn and Caitlin are both very believable characters dealing with some difficult challenges, and even the villains in the book are more complex than you'll find in most fiction. Iles also does an outstanding job of using the town of Natchez and really the whole region as a character of its own, painting a vivid picture similar to what James Lee Burke has done with Louisiana in his Dave Robicheaux series. The action unfolds at a steady but still somewhat leisurely pace, and the author never feels the need to force things or use cheap plot tactics to advance the story.

The only complaint I'd have is that some things do get slightly repetitive, and an 800-page book likely could have ended up with a little less heft if an editor had been a little less kind. However, it's not enough of a complaint to not give this a five-star review. Excellent, and I can't wait for the final book in the trilogy.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars High in calories and sugar, but still nutritious and tasty, April 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you're looking for a relatively healthy supplement to a meal or something to eat before exercise, the Vega meal bar is a good choice. Packed with lots of good nutrients and enough carbs and fat to keep you going, it's a great choice for energy but not enough for a meal.

The taste is about as good as I've ever found in terms of "healthy" bars. There's a generous amount of high-quality chocolate that mixes nicely with both the peanut butter and other added ingredients. I'd certainly prefer if it tasted like a Reese's Cup, but it's still pretty good. As for the nutritional benefits, it's high in protein and very much plant-based, with ingredients including spinach and kale (of which you taste neither).

Again, I don't recommend this as a complete meal replacement as I don't think there's enough to it. As a supplement or emergency fill-in, though, it's a great choice.

Classic Accessories 55-431-011101-11 Atrium Kettle Grill Cover, Green
Classic Accessories 55-431-011101-11 Atrium Kettle Grill Cover, Green
Price: $21.00
2 used & new from $21.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Durable, good value, April 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We've owned several barbecue covers, and the fabric on this one is as strong as any I've seen. It's a heavy polyester that isn't going to chip like some of the more plastic covers I've had, and it's got some decent heft to it. Very easy to cinch and tie at the bottom, which is a necessity on windy days and something that other covers sometimes don't do well.

The cover goes on easily and should be at least semi-snug on any grills of the right size. My only real complaint is that the cover doesn't fold up and store in its original case all that easily, so storing it may prove a little annoying. Overall, I'd say it's an excellent option for the price.

Weleda White Mallow Face Cream, 1.7 Fluid Ounce
Weleda White Mallow Face Cream, 1.7 Fluid Ounce
Price: $12.43
29 used & new from $8.53

5.0 out of 5 stars but I find that other areas like my forehead, April 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've probably tried at least six different facial creams over the past year, from my local pharmacy's offerings to some high-end lotions sold on Amazon. And while this item is especially intended for young children with eczema or other skin irritations, it's proven to be the most effective facial moisturizer I've used in a very long time.

I typically use post-shave lotion on the areas I shave and that works well, but I find that other areas like my forehead, nose and sides of my neck often feel very dry. My forehead in particular can be irritating, with itchiness and some light flaking. I've been using the Weleda cream for about three weeks, and the results are great. My skin feels soft all day and night after a morning application, and I don't find it to feel greasy or heavy. I know that some female reviewers have mentioned the difficulty of applying makeup on top of this cream, but for men that's likely not usually a concern.

I'm very happy with this offering from Weleda, and I plan to order another bottle when this one gets low. Great product, highly recommended.

Lacy Eye
Lacy Eye
by Jessica Treadway
Price: $19.71
63 used & new from $8.33

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-done thriller, April 25, 2015
This review is from: Lacy Eye (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is one that I chose because the description sounded interesting, and it more than lived up to those expectations. Even with a frustrating narrator, this is one of the quickest page-turning reads I've found so far this year.

Hanna is still dealing three years later with the effect of an attack that left her husband dead and Hanna with memory loss. The man convicted of the crime is her daughter's boyfriend, and when his trial comes up for appeal, this same daughter decides to move back home. Hanna then spends the rest of the book trying to remember the events of that night, and trying to figure out Dawn's intentions in moving home. Hanna is a well-drawn character, and her unreliability due to memory loss adds that much more mystery to the book.

There's not much here that's groundbreaking, but it's just a well-plotted and fun read that drew me in immediately.

Billy Martin: Baseball's Flawed Genius
Billy Martin: Baseball's Flawed Genius
by Bill Pennington
Price: $20.26
53 used & new from $15.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding book, the biography Martin deserves, April 9, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I admittedly grew up disliking both Billy Martin and the Yankees, but I never doubted his passion, commitment or knowledge and I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. After reading 500+ pages, I have to say that I'm not impressed by Martin's life but by the outstanding job Pennington has done in covering a colorful and controversial life.

Martin is often remembered - fondly by some, not so much by others - for the passion he displayed on the field first as a player, then as a manager. His tantrums remain fodder for TV, but Pennington looks beyond that to examine his knowledge of the game and his tactical approach to managing. Too often he's seen as almost a caricature of himself, and that's never the case in this book. From his early days to his death, Pennington uses a thoughtful and respectful approach to his life. We learn about his motivation from an early age to reach his goals, and it gives us a deeper understanding of why Martin often appeared to be both passionate and tortured.

This should be a must-read for any baseball fan, regardless of team or player allegiances. Martin impacted the game both inside and outside the lines, and should never be remembered for simply kicking dirt at umpires or being fired five times by George Steinbrenner. A great biographical work, and the best sports biography I've read in a long time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20