Profile for Craig > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 409

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Craig RSS Feed (Ohio)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Bone Tree: A Novel (Penn Cage Novels)
The Bone Tree: A Novel (Penn Cage Novels)
by Greg Iles
Price: $17.17
78 used & new from $11.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting sequel to Natchez Burning, April 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I think several of the reviews already posted have done a great job of describing the events of this second in Iles' Natchez trilogy, so I'll stick to what I liked or didn't like.

As with Natchez Burning, this book does a great job mixing the stories and motivations of a wide cast of characters with Penn Cage at the center. Penn and Caitlin are both very believable characters dealing with some difficult challenges, and even the villains in the book are more complex than you'll find in most fiction. Iles also does an outstanding job of using the town of Natchez and really the whole region as a character of its own, painting a vivid picture similar to what James Lee Burke has done with Louisiana in his Dave Robicheaux series. The action unfolds at a steady but still somewhat leisurely pace, and the author never feels the need to force things or use cheap plot tactics to advance the story.

The only complaint I'd have is that some things do get slightly repetitive, and an 800-page book likely could have ended up with a little less heft if an editor had been a little less kind. However, it's not enough of a complaint to not give this a five-star review. Excellent, and I can't wait for the final book in the trilogy.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars High in calories and sugar, but still nutritious and tasty, April 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you're looking for a relatively healthy supplement to a meal or something to eat before exercise, the Vega meal bar is a good choice. Packed with lots of good nutrients and enough carbs and fat to keep you going, it's a great choice for energy but not enough for a meal.

The taste is about as good as I've ever found in terms of "healthy" bars. There's a generous amount of high-quality chocolate that mixes nicely with both the peanut butter and other added ingredients. I'd certainly prefer if it tasted like a Reese's Cup, but it's still pretty good. As for the nutritional benefits, it's high in protein and very much plant-based, with ingredients including spinach and kale (of which you taste neither).

Again, I don't recommend this as a complete meal replacement as I don't think there's enough to it. As a supplement or emergency fill-in, though, it's a great choice.

Classic Accessories 55-431-011101-11 Atrium Kettle Grill Cover, Green
Classic Accessories 55-431-011101-11 Atrium Kettle Grill Cover, Green
Price: $21.00
3 used & new from $21.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Durable, good value, April 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We've owned several barbecue covers, and the fabric on this one is as strong as any I've seen. It's a heavy polyester that isn't going to chip like some of the more plastic covers I've had, and it's got some decent heft to it. Very easy to cinch and tie at the bottom, which is a necessity on windy days and something that other covers sometimes don't do well.

The cover goes on easily and should be at least semi-snug on any grills of the right size. My only real complaint is that the cover doesn't fold up and store in its original case all that easily, so storing it may prove a little annoying. Overall, I'd say it's an excellent option for the price.

Weleda White Mallow Face Cream, 1.7 Fluid Ounce
Weleda White Mallow Face Cream, 1.7 Fluid Ounce
Price: $11.82
22 used & new from $8.79

5.0 out of 5 stars but I find that other areas like my forehead, April 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've probably tried at least six different facial creams over the past year, from my local pharmacy's offerings to some high-end lotions sold on Amazon. And while this item is especially intended for young children with eczema or other skin irritations, it's proven to be the most effective facial moisturizer I've used in a very long time.

I typically use post-shave lotion on the areas I shave and that works well, but I find that other areas like my forehead, nose and sides of my neck often feel very dry. My forehead in particular can be irritating, with itchiness and some light flaking. I've been using the Weleda cream for about three weeks, and the results are great. My skin feels soft all day and night after a morning application, and I don't find it to feel greasy or heavy. I know that some female reviewers have mentioned the difficulty of applying makeup on top of this cream, but for men that's likely not usually a concern.

I'm very happy with this offering from Weleda, and I plan to order another bottle when this one gets low. Great product, highly recommended.

Lacy Eye
Lacy Eye
by Jessica Treadway
Price: $19.71
63 used & new from $9.47

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-done thriller, April 25, 2015
This review is from: Lacy Eye (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is one that I chose because the description sounded interesting, and it more than lived up to those expectations. Even with a frustrating narrator, this is one of the quickest page-turning reads I've found so far this year.

Hanna is still dealing three years later with the effect of an attack that left her husband dead and Hanna with memory loss. The man convicted of the crime is her daughter's boyfriend, and when his trial comes up for appeal, this same daughter decides to move back home. Hanna then spends the rest of the book trying to remember the events of that night, and trying to figure out Dawn's intentions in moving home. Hanna is a well-drawn character, and her unreliability due to memory loss adds that much more mystery to the book.

There's not much here that's groundbreaking, but it's just a well-plotted and fun read that drew me in immediately.

Billy Martin: Baseball's Flawed Genius
Billy Martin: Baseball's Flawed Genius
by Bill Pennington
Price: $20.26
55 used & new from $15.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding book, the biography Martin deserves, April 9, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I admittedly grew up disliking both Billy Martin and the Yankees, but I never doubted his passion, commitment or knowledge and I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. After reading 500+ pages, I have to say that I'm not impressed by Martin's life but by the outstanding job Pennington has done in covering a colorful and controversial life.

Martin is often remembered - fondly by some, not so much by others - for the passion he displayed on the field first as a player, then as a manager. His tantrums remain fodder for TV, but Pennington looks beyond that to examine his knowledge of the game and his tactical approach to managing. Too often he's seen as almost a caricature of himself, and that's never the case in this book. From his early days to his death, Pennington uses a thoughtful and respectful approach to his life. We learn about his motivation from an early age to reach his goals, and it gives us a deeper understanding of why Martin often appeared to be both passionate and tortured.

This should be a must-read for any baseball fan, regardless of team or player allegiances. Martin impacted the game both inside and outside the lines, and should never be remembered for simply kicking dirt at umpires or being fired five times by George Steinbrenner. A great biographical work, and the best sports biography I've read in a long time.

Sentry 3 Count Fiproguard Plus for Dogs Squeeze-On, 23-44-Pound
Sentry 3 Count Fiproguard Plus for Dogs Squeeze-On, 23-44-Pound
Offered by Enticing Pricing
Price: $18.49
20 used & new from $18.49

5.0 out of 5 stars We remain very pleased with its performance, April 9, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We've been using Sentry for the past two years based on positive reviews, along with the cost which is significantly less than some other leading brands. We remain very pleased with its performance, as it keeps pests from thriving on our dogs without causing any negative side effects.

Application is easy, and the 30-day period of effective use seems to be pretty accurate. It's never a bad idea to also keep your pets clean in addition to using a product like this one, and we've so far been fortunate in using those two approaches together.

A very good product, highly recommended.

Secrets of State
Secrets of State
by Matthew Palmer
Price: $20.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, good story, an excellent read, March 30, 2015
This review is from: Secrets of State (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first comment I'd make about this title is that "thriller" may be misleading in terms of a description. There are certainly some action sequences and there's plenty of intrigue, but the fact that Palmer doesn't follow a typical thriller script is what separates the novel from so many others in the same vein.

Sam Trainor is a former government analyst now working in the private sector, when he discovers what he believes to be a pattern of misinformation whose purpose is to inflame already-high tensions between India and Pakistan. With the help of an old friend as well as his current lover, Sam attempts to get to the source of these attempts. Invariably, this leads him into the crosshairs of several concerned parties who would like to see a potential problem eliminated.

Palmer does a great job of fleshing out Sam as a full-bodied character and providing plenty of detail about how both government and private enterprises like Argus Systems, Sam's employer, work together and separately. Sam is an easy character to like, and I appreciated that Palmer didn't try to present him as some kind of Superman. While I enjoy reading about guys like Jack Reacher or Mitch Rapp, sometimes it's okay to have a character who knows he's not going to win the fight and who instead has to find other ways to solve problems.

Again, I would warn that this isn't a page-turner in the early going, but a well-drawn and satisfying read that's worth the investment in terms of time. Enough action, plenty of twists, and strong writing throughout makes for an excellent novel.

Scotts Super Bloom Water Soluble Plant Food, 2-Pound
Scotts Super Bloom Water Soluble Plant Food, 2-Pound
Price: $10.97
3 used & new from $9.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Great choice, even for gardening novices like me, March 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a true amateur when it comes to gardening, I'm always looking for anything that will contribute to our garden's success. So I was excited to use Super Bloom for the first time, and I've been even happier than expected with the results.

I've used this in the front garden, as well as in a couple of container plants, and the results have been outstanding. Everything is leafier and growing much quicker than in past years. The directions were easy for me to follow, which means they're foolproof, and this two-pound container is likely to last a while.

This product from Scott's is more expensive than many of its competitors but it seems like a case of getting what you pay for. We're planning to keep using this for the foreseeable future, another excellent product from Scotts.

Long Way Down (A Jason Stafford Novel)
Long Way Down (A Jason Stafford Novel)
by Michael Sears
Price: $20.31
76 used & new from $5.06

3.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed the first two Jason Stafford novels, March 9, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really enjoyed the first two Jason Stafford novels, so I was excited to receive this latest series entry through Vine. However, while it's a decent read, it's definitely not on the same level as the first two from Sears.

In this latest entry, Stafford is hired by Philip Haley, the CEO of a multinational company, to help clear him from accusations of a federal crime. Given that the company is working on a clean alternative energy source, there's not surprisingly a large number of possible suspects. As with the previous Stafford novels, Jason must use his financial acumen to chase the money trail while trying to raise his autistic son, maintain a romantic relationship, and stay away from the inevitable run-ins with bad guys. The pacing in this novel is good, but the plot gets a little convoluted and Sears does inject some unnecessary political leanings into the book.

Stafford remains an engaging character, a believable hero who doesn't always win the fights. His son is a well-drawn secondary character, always keeping Jason grounded and provided some real-life context to whatever crazy business Jason falls into. Even with this one falling short of my expectations, this remains one of my favorite newer series and I'm looking forward to the fourth entry. Again, not the strongest entry in this young series but Sears still keeps the pages turning.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20