Profile for Craig > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 2064

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Craig RSS Feed (Ohio)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
AKG Y40 Black Mini On-Ear Headphone with Remote/Microphone and Detachable Cable, Black
Offered by HIDEF Lifestyle
Price: $99.95
4 used & new from $99.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, great price, September 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These headphones made a great first impression on me, given the easy-opening box and frustration-free packaging that had them ready for use within about a minute of getting the package home. The headphones wire and carrying case were housed separately and were both easily accessible.

This is the first set of headphones that I've owned where the adapter cord is not hardwired to the headphones themselves, and as another post mentioned it's something that initially may not make sense. However, I quickly realized that this made storage of the headphones far easier than if you're having to deal with wrapping the cord around them. I've seen a lot of headphones damaged because the cord became twisted at the connector, so I'm hoping that this approach will serve well in the long term.

The headphones themselves are comfortable, and it feels like placing small cushions on your ears. The head piece fits snugly without squeezing, and the speakers sit nicely on the ear. They're not heavy, and I've found that even during exercise they stay on well and don't produce additional heat that might cause sweating. As for the sound, I'd describe as high-quality and clear while lacking some of the intense bass or nuances you might find with headphones in the $300+ range. However, for the list price this an excellent choice and one of the best sets of headphones I've used in this range.

Disney Sofia the First Tea Party Picnic Doll
Disney Sofia the First Tea Party Picnic Doll
Price: $43.99
7 used & new from $24.22

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but cute and fun, September 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm usually pretty tough on Disney products because you tend to "pay for the name" more than I'd like, but they have done a good job with this Sofia tea party doll. The doll feels durable enough that she should be able to withstand a fair bit of play, and the accessories included like the bunny and the picnic basket are nicely made.

The 40 phrases that Sofia speaks make sense within the context of the play set, although it's odd that she also speaks for the bunny...overall, a good choice for any fans of Sofia the First.

Black and Decker TO3210SSD Countertop Convection Toaster Oven
Black and Decker TO3210SSD Countertop Convection Toaster Oven
Price: $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance at a great price, September 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We were excited to receive this toaster oven, as I'm not a fan of microwaves but I also don't like throwing small items like a few chicken strips or mini pizzas in the oven. We've now placed this in the kitchen, and it's taken over some of the light duty required with cooking for the kids. Toast is great in it, and it's great for small items. Some comments about different aspects:

Space - If you've got a small kitchen, be prepared for the fact that this will seem pretty large on your countertop. It's really not that large when compared with others, but toaster ovens just tend to take up a fair bit of space. It has displaced our toaster, and that side of the kitchen shelf definitely has less for other items than it did previously.

Ease of use - The controls take very little time to learn, and the different options for simple items like toast or more conventional cooking means that you don't have to spend time getting used to what settings should be used. The tray inside can be easily set at different levels depending on what you're cooking. One thing I don't really like is that there's a small noise associated with a couple of the controls, but it's not overly loud.

Performance - Toast and smaller items do cook pretty quickly in this oven due to the fact that it's going to be snug for many items. If you're looking to cook a large meal for a family then you're better off using a traditional oven, but this one does a great job with small pizzas, toasted subs and dishes of items like lasagna as long as you're keeping them smaller.

This is a great product at a very reasonable cost, and one that should be very useful for small families, students or others living on their own. I would much prefer using this toaster oven in almost every case over having to use the larger oven, as it cooks quickly and doesn't use what I would consider excess energy to get the job done. There are some larger toaster ovens out there, but even the largest isn't really that much bigger and if your requirements are large meals, then you're better off with the traditional oven. We have been very happy with the performance so far, and I believe others will feel the same.

Skip Hop Zoo Winter Lunchie & Bottle Set  Penguin
Skip Hop Zoo Winter Lunchie & Bottle Set Penguin
Price: $20.00
2 used & new from $20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great choice for early school-aged kids, September 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not sure how anyone can top this lunchbox in terms of cuteness. It's the first thing I noticed upon opening the package, and others around me also had similar remarks. Everyone loves penguins, and they've done a great job of making an attractive design. It's the kind of look that will appeal mainly to toddlers or those just starting school, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking to use it for a kid above the age of six...that seems to be the cutoff in my own experience before kids start being a little self-conscious of something this kiddish.

The bag isn't as insulated as some Thermos-style options, but it does a relatively good job of keeping things warm/cold. We have been using it mainly as a snack carrier, where it does the trick quite well. I'm also impressed with the bottle, which is nicely attached to the bag and which conveniently includes two straws. We've gone through a lot of lost bottles with our kids in the past, so I heartily appreciate anything that makes such loss less likely.

This bag isn't going to handle large lunches, but that's not its intention. For those packing a sandwich and snacks, this is a great option.

BISSELL CleanView Bagless Upright Vacuum with OnePass Technology, 1330
BISSELL CleanView Bagless Upright Vacuum with OnePass Technology, 1330
Price: $79.99
3 used & new from $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars this offering from Bissell is an excellent choice. I had expected something light, September 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We've always been hesitant to purchase a larger, more expensive vacuum for our house given the limited amount of carpeting we have, so we have instead used less expensive, upright options for the past few years. Given the price and performance, this offering from Bissell is an excellent choice.

I had expected something light, but there's actually a decent amount of heft to this vacuum. That's reflected in the performance, as this one has strong suction and doesn't require triple runs or having to essentially shove dirt up the hose. The brush tool is good on fabric, but doesn't work as well on other surfaces. I have found the tank very easy to empty, especially compared with other bagless units that I have found nearly impossible to empty completely because of dirt and dust clumping badly. The filter comes out easily for washing, and so far I've found that it come quite clean. A cursory examination of the vacuum's guts also shows that they didn't "cheap out" on the bands and other internal pieces.

This is not an ideal vacuum for someone with a fully carpeted house and lots of pets, but it's a great choice for apartments or smaller places without a huge amount of carpet. Tough to beat the price, and the performance is not reflective at all of the cost.

Five Star 5-Pocket Expanding Vertical File, 12.25 x 10.25 Inches, Red (72693)
Five Star 5-Pocket Expanding Vertical File, 12.25 x 10.25 Inches, Red (72693)
Price: $19.97
2 used & new from $19.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Great folder, no drawbacks, September 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Even though I try saving everything electronically, I still find the need to keep a number of personal papers. We've tried safes and some other vertical folders without being completely satisfied, but seem to have found the answer with this offering from Five Star.

What I like about it:

1) Lightweight, meaning you're not starting with something already bulky or annoying to carry around.
2) Although light, the folder is very strong and durable.
3) The pockets are removable, allowing you to decide what's needed. Much better than those with fixed pockets.
4) Vertical layout is much easier for flipping through than traditional horizontal offerings.
5) Size is limited, but this fits a lot.

As for complaints, I don't really have any. This is an excellent product that simply does exactly what it promises.

OXO Good Grips Slicing Knife
OXO Good Grips Slicing Knife
Price: $10.20
5 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent OXO product, September 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've yet to be unhappy with any OXO product, and that holds true after using this Good Grips Slicing Knife. Lightweight with a good grip and a strong blade, this knife has performed well.

The handle is made of a high-quality rubber, obviously with the intention of providing a strong grip and eliminating any sliding of the hand during the process of cutting. The design of the handle is done well ergonomically, and will fit even larger hands comfortably. I feel like OXO always does an excellent job of making their products very user-friendly, and this is no exception.

The blade was sharp out of the package, although I'd suggest regular sharpening if you're planning to cut a lot of meat. I found that it handled poultry well, allowing me to prepare food more quickly than I have with other knives in our collection. I've not cut anything besides meat with these knife, as the design of the blade doesn't seem like it would cut vegetables as safely as it does with meat.

The only thing I didn't like about this knife was the packaging, which was that annoyingly tight and inflexible plastic which requires a pair of scissors and some patience. Once out of the package, however, this has proven to be an excellent product that I would highly recommend.

Tile Lock Scrabble
Tile Lock Scrabble
Offered by MMP Living
Price: $17.21
31 used & new from $16.41

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, middling execution, September 9, 2014
This review is from: Tile Lock Scrabble (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've played Scrabble since I was a kid using the traditional board and tiles. I chose this product as a method of introducing the game to my daughters, both of whom are old enough to understand the concept and rules but also young enough to guarantee that the board will be hit at least once each game by accident.

The first thing I noticed is that the board is significantly smaller than a traditional Scrabble board, and the tiles are likewise smaller to fit the board. This is probably fine for kids who generally have better vision than adults and can more easily handle small tiles, but it makes it tougher for adults. The feel of the tiles is also just not the same as the wooden tiles to which I've grown is , although that's hardly a fault.

The tile lock idea is great, but the use of "lock" is misleading. These tiles can be knocked around the board without too much difficulty, especially if the board is bumped at all from below. I think larger tiles to prevent this problem would create other issues by being too snug, so maybe larger locks would have been better. Whatever the solution, this system is far from perfect.

I really like the idea of this product and I'm sure we'll make use of it. Even with its faults, it's a better option for kids than the regular game. If they can work out some of these kinks, this could be a five-star product.

Tide Pods HE Laundry Detergent, Free & Gentle, 72 Count
Tide Pods HE Laundry Detergent, Free & Gentle, 72 Count
Price: $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Costs more, but the convenience is great, September 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We've used various versions of Tide laundry detergent previously, including this "free and gentle" version that doesn't include any scents or dyes. We don't have any skin problems or conditions in our family so it's difficult to say whether this has helped in this area, but I do like the fact that our clothes don't smell so "fake" nice but instead just have a simple, clean smell.

The pods are about as easy as can be to use, as you just pop it in the washer and start your load. In our case we're still using a fabric softener so we have to pour that in at the beginning of the load, but I'm all for the convenience of just grabbing a small pod instead of having to lug around one of those jumbo containers of liquid detergent. The cost-per-load is moderately higher than you find with the liquid version, but that's just the trade-off for the convenience factor and it's not an unreasonable cost.

I would recommend pods in general for anyone willing to spend the extra money on them, and this particular version of Tide is a good one.

Barbie Life in The Dreamhouse Grocery Store and Doll Playset
Barbie Life in The Dreamhouse Grocery Store and Doll Playset
Price: $34.99
8 used & new from $30.00

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the better Barbie products, August 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We've had a number of Barbie items in our house over the past few years, starting with my daughters and now moving into items that are played with by younger nieces when they visit. This latest addition to our collection isn't perfect, but it has proven popular and seems to have a more likely lasting appeal.

The girls enjoy pretending to shop, and I enjoy seeing them do so because it's at least something they can relate to the real world more than they could with some other Barbie products. The pieces are small and somewhat cheaply made causing some bad fits, but they're pretty standard for anyone familiar with these toys. The shopping cart is decent, and the doll is a typical Barbie.

This one is likely to get dull if used as a standalone but should serve well as part of a larger, interchangeable Barbie play set. The price seems a little off right now (over $50 on Amazon as compared to $35 on other sites), but perhaps that's just a temporary thing. Either way you're paying in part for the Barbie brand, but it's still a fun and functional toy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20