Profile for Shadow Woman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 86

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shadow Woman RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Memoirs of Montparnasse
Memoirs of Montparnasse
by John Glassco
25 used & new from $4.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, July 7, 2004
John Glassco writes about the Paris arts scene of the 1920s, telling the story of an artist as a young man. It's not always true, but it is always fun, as fiction and autobiography blend to create a good read. Has all the sex, boozing and pathos that was typical of 1920s Paris as its been memorialized in literature, whether that's a good thing or not is for you to decide.

The Look of Love
The Look of Love
Price: $11.67
278 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Diana Krall is bad when she wants to be, July 20, 2002
This review is from: The Look of Love (Audio CD)
I could play 'S'Wonderful' and 'The Look of Love' all day, but the rest of the album... not really. If Diana Krall jammed like she does in those two songs in all her songs, I'd listen to them constantly, but as it is, there's only a couple that beg repeating. Another reviewer mentioned that she's "souled-out". Give her room to showcase her voice and she'll be good to go- girlfriend needs to sing it like she means it, not like how she's supposed to. When she doesn't do vocal stylistics, the magic isn't happening, so please! more of that.

Just a Little Pt.1
Just a Little Pt.1
38 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars It really hits my spot, July 13, 2002
This review is from: Just a Little Pt.1 (Audio CD)
I'm embarassed to admit it, but yes, I am totally grooving to this manufactured pop group's single 'Just A Little'. I first heard it at some all-ages nightclub, and it really caught my ears so I listened for it on the radio and all that. The chorus is just so durn catchy and the beat is far too easy to get lost in. I hang my head in shame.

Freddy Got Fingered
Freddy Got Fingered
DVD ~ Tom Green
Offered by cds_dvds_guaranteed
Price: $39.09
72 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't stop watching, I couldn't stop laughing, June 26, 2002
This review is from: Freddy Got Fingered (DVD)
Yes, it's stupid, yes it will very likely offend you, but darned if I wasn't laughing till my sides hurt as I watched Tom Green do one shocking & mindless thing after another. Betty, his girlfriend, was such a hoot, and Rip Torn as Green's dad proved his greatness. I especially love the scene where he pulls down his pants and bears his buttocks. You have to see it to believe it! Actually, most of this movie has to be seen to be believed, since it's so ludicrous that writing about it you'd think it was some psychotic fantasy, which it is, but it's just not mine. Money talks, so Tom Green was allowed to indulge his insane whims, while I can't. No fair!

Architecture Of The Arkansas Ozarks
Architecture Of The Arkansas Ozarks
by Donald Harington
52 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A G-Damn Masterpiece!, June 25, 2002
I picked this book up randomly at the library, because the title was a bit odd for a novel- and boy am I ever glad of my penchant for quirky titles right about now! It led me to what is sure to be one of my favourite authors... that is, if this book is any gauge of Donald Harington's talents.
With colourful characters, humour from bawdy to book-learned, and an understanding of humanity and history I've rarely seen in a modern author, Harington's 'The Architecture of the Arkansas Ozarks' definitely is a masterpiece. In this book he traces the saga of the Stay Morons, focusing on the Ingledew family in particular. He uses architecture as a conceit to show how 'the great world spins forever round the ringing grooves of change' (paraphrasing Tennyson).
Just remember "the base is heavier, the upper part lighter, and... the roof is pitched."
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2009 7:25 PM PDT

When One Has Lived a Long Time Alone
When One Has Lived a Long Time Alone
by Galway Kinnell
Price: $16.20
78 used & new from $2.75

2.0 out of 5 stars "Show me your hum-na", June 12, 2002
I stole this book from my local Chapters and when I got home was greatly disappointed. I took it upon myself to return it to the store, I just didn't want this piece of garbage cramping my style. Kinnell is up to his usual hijinks, talking about the ins and outs of Life and Love in our time, but this one lacks the charm of his earlier works. I haven't read his earlier works, by the way, but they can't be as bad as this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2010 11:43 AM PDT

The Lady from Shanghai
The Lady from Shanghai
DVD ~ Rita Hayworth
Offered by Sparks DVD Sales
Price: $12.99
42 used & new from $6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect!, May 12, 2002
This review is from: The Lady from Shanghai (DVD)
Welles wrote, directed and starred (along with his then wife Rita Hayworth) in this mind-blowing 1948 film noir. It looks beautiful, it sounds beautiful- heck, it's just beautiful... period! Welles' shark story is the coolest thing I've heard in my life and I repeat his Buddha-like words of wisdom every chance I get. For the love of God, watch this film!

Gilda
Gilda
DVD ~ Rita Hayworth
Offered by Stare Media
Price: $6.95
99 used & new from $2.63

5.0 out of 5 stars "Gilda, are you decent?", April 20, 2002
This review is from: Gilda (DVD)
The always stunning Rita Hayworth stars as Gilda, the ultimate femme fatale in this film noir classic. She's a woman who uses her womanly charms in a manly way: to manipulate and gain power, creating drama for everyone, including herself. She's her own worst enemy, and all because... well, you'll have to watch and find out. I won't be so kind as to spoil the ending for you (see some of the other reviews for that), but I will agree with others in saying it's an unsatisfying cop-out. It doesn't matter, though. The first hour&40 make this DEFINITELY worth watching.
To the previous reviewer who called this film misogynistic: say what? Gilda's more manly than any of the actual males in this movie, who may or may not be gay. Besides, how can one female's actions stand for females as a whole? Since there are no other women protagonists in this diegesis to compare Gilda with, that reading rests on a faulty basis.

Play Misty for Me - Collector's Edition
Play Misty for Me - Collector's Edition
DVD ~ Clint Eastwood
Price: $11.26
43 used & new from $5.95

4.0 out of 5 stars The First Time Ever I Saw This Film, April 20, 2002
Eastwood stars and directs this psycho/stalker thriller about a radio DJ who has what he thinks is a no-strings attached sex encounter with one of his callers (who always says "Play 'Misty' for me" when she calls him up, hence the title) which turns out to be more than he bargained for. The movie kept me on the edge of my seat, and despite (or maybe because of) the hysterical performance of Jessica Walter as the woman scorned, it did manage to create and sustain a mood of suspense.
One thing: what the heck were the two montage sequences doing in the film? They were so out of place and really detracted from the atmosphere. The movie could've really done without them, although I didn't mind seeing a nekkid Clint Estwood pawing away at a nekkid Donna Mills in a forest while Roberta Flack sings in the background.
Classic scene: psycho-woman Jessica Walter gets into one of many fights with Eastwood's character and screams at him "You're nothing! You're not even good in bed! I just felt sorry for you!"

The House of Seven Corpses [VHS]
The House of Seven Corpses [VHS]
VHS
10 used & new from $2.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Cleon will be sadly missed. R.I.P., April 5, 2002
I wasn't expecting much from The House of Seven Corpses, and for that reason the fact that this horror film is clever (but not too clever) and funny (but not too funny) came as a pleasant surprise. Others have already commented on the plot, which doesn't altogether make sense on a literal level, but symbolically makes perfect sense, so I'll just comment on some of my fave things about this movie.
The irony and self-reflexiveness that the film-within-a-film made possible was my favourite aspect. I hate the newer movies that have that sort of humour, but this film wasn't smug and in-your-face about it, so it worked for me. Especially the ending, where one of the zombies drops a... well, I won't say, but it's perfect!
I love the way they used cross-cutting, and the montage sequences were neat in a cheesy way. The directing was wanna-be Hitchcock (esp. the use of mirrors), but on a low budget, even Hitch would look like a wanna-be of himself.
Another funny bit was when one of the actresses discovers her cat Cleon cut in half and she goes into hysterics. Then later, if you look closely, you can see John Carradine's character (Price) chiselling the cat's name onto a headstone. No one draws attention to it, but if you're sharp you'll catch the name. Also, there are lots of other visual jokes which I found myself rewinding the movie to laugh at again.
About the actors- no Academy Award performances here, but everyone was competent. The tyrant director (played by John Ireland) was my fave of all. It was great when the zombie was chasing him and he notices the film scattered all over the floor and gets more upset over that than being stalked by a killing machine (My film! Oh God!). While this movie is not a masterpice, it's good for a laugh or two.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9