Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for Caslon > Reviews

Browse

Caslon's Profile

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Caslon RSS Feed (Alexandria, VA)

Page: 1 | 2
Garmin Virb XE
Garmin Virb XE
Price: $324.78
69 used & new from $309.99

2.0 out of 5 stars I've had this camera for several months and it's not ..., June 20, 2016
I've had this camera for several months and it's not reliable. The battery life is short and then it takes hours to recharge one. If you go out for a ride, you have to pack several batteries and set the timer on your phone to be sure and change out the batteries.

Also, it is unreliable when turned on to record. It doesn't necessarily keep recording when it is on. It's very irregular. I've come back from rides and found only parts of the ride were recorded.

I'm quite frustrated with this camera. I just can't rely on it to record a ride.

Garmin Edge 1000 Bundle
Garmin Edge 1000 Bundle
Offered by Active Trade
Price: $596.95
18 used & new from $477.56

2.0 out of 5 stars Buggy and can't find its own way!, May 20, 2016
For this price I expected better. Something is buggy about the device and it will just shut down on the trail and leave you stranded. Turn it on and it turns itself right off.

The maps it comes with are pretty poor. And don't ask it up find you a bike route from where you to where you want to go and expect the best route. I've tried it with routes I know and it sent me way out of my way. And it steadfastly refused to use a street with beautiful bike lanes! It gave me a large arc of a route instead of straight down the street from point A to point B. Ridiculous!

When it failed today out on the trail, I called Garmin Support and was told I had a 35 minute wait. I went on a free app on my phone and got a great route to my destination.

Also I find it is hard to tell when it's really recording. It will respond to the satellites but it's not really he tracking you. It needs an indicator on the screen, like a green dot, to show you it's on.

The virtual partner feature looks cool. But AS SOON AS YOU STOP, the data DISAPPEARS. So, how did you do vis-a-vis your virtual partner? You better look quick cuz it quits and erases when you stop.

Selfie Stick - iXCC Aluminum Wired Selfiestick [Built-in Remote Shutter, Adjustable Phone Holder, 3.5mm Aux Cable] for iPhone,Samsung,Android and More
Offered by iXCC
Price: $24.99

NiteRider Solas Tail Light
NiteRider Solas Tail Light
Offered by BikeZilla Bike Shop (Roy's Bike Shop)
Price: $38.49
8 used & new from $38.24

1.0 out of 5 stars I really like their brightness and flashing mode, August 8, 2015
I have bought several NiteRider Solas taillights. I really like their brightness and flashing mode. But they keep breaking off. I presumed I was kicking them by accident in dismounting. But on Amazon, I see another reviewer has the same problem. Today I lost two of them out in a ride. As much as I really love them, I'm not buying them again until I hear that this problem is fixed.

Edit: Another one snapped off today. It was there when I left the house. It was there when I left the grocery store. A few miles down the bike trail, it was gone. I contacted NiteRider they say they've recently fixed the problem. But I commute sometimes in the dark. I need a light I know doesn't just snap off. I depend on my tail lights to help protect me at night.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Funny Warning Bumper Stickers Decals: DRIVER IS GAY | Great For Practical Jokes!
Offered by W3X Commerce
Price: $3.49

1.0 out of 5 stars What's the point of the warning?, June 25, 2015
I don't see the point of this bumper sticker.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars this is great. It is large and bright, May 13, 2015
I just received this directional signal taillight.

If you are looking for a taillight that can also show which way you are turning, this is great. It is large and bright. Although it looks like a clear, colorless light when it isn't on, it flashes a bright red light when operating and anyone behind you can easily see you. It clearly shows which direction you are turning with bright yellow flashing side lights.

It does have some peculiarities:
1) There is no on/off switch. It is activated by the vibration ("waggle" in their English translation. See below.) of the moving bicycle. And it deactivates after 3 minutes when the bike is still. Personally, I'd like an ordinary on/off switch to control the light. It's because of this bizarre vibrational on/off control that I rate this light with 3 stars.

2) Apparently this is a German company. Bless their hearts, but their English translation of the installation instructions is either horrible or hysterical, depending on your mood. (Thank goodness for the diagrams.)

The opening sentence to the instructions makes no sense in English. So skip it and move on to step 1, Preparation.

"Waggle" means "vibrate." So if you want to test your light before attaching it to your bike, shake it and then wait a few seconds and it will turn on.

"Ringtone" means the bike horn sound.

They use the word "could" when they mean something IS now ready to work.

"Pairing the taillight with Remote Control" means syncing the light and remote control switch.

All in all, it looks like a good light and the only decent directional signal light I've seen in the market.

The Montefeltro Conspiracy: A Renaissance Mystery Decoded
The Montefeltro Conspiracy: A Renaissance Mystery Decoded
by Marcello Simonetta
Price: $18.41
107 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars That's all there is???, December 6, 2008
I expected a far greater revelation with a far greater impact on my understanding of this assassination attempt. I thought there was going to be some exciting "smoking gun" discovered by the author. After reading the book, I felt like "That's it? That's what I knew all along." And I have only a basic understanding of the event. I feel that the author has overstated his "decoding" of a renaissance mystery.

Empires of the Sea: The Siege of Malta, the Battle of Lepanto, and the Contest for the Center of the World
by Roger Crowley
54 used & new from $4.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Grippingly written, September 11, 2008
I was not at all familiar with Mediterrean conflicts or politics during this period when I started this book. But "Empires of the Sea" is so well written in moving the story along and portraying the conflicts, that I really found it very gripping. I greatly enjoyed it and highly recommend it.

The Political Teachings of Jesus
The Political Teachings of Jesus
by Tod Lindberg
86 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I am not christian...I am not religious...., August 26, 2007
Before I write this review, I want to say that I am not christian...I am not religious....I do not believe in god, divinity, heaven, life after death...doing good on earth and getting rewarded in heaven. My car is plastered with anti-religious stickers.

I found this book a truly amazing examination of the teachings of Jesus as recorded in the Bible. This book examines what Jesus says minus all the divinity stuff. Just focusing on and examining what guide lines he gave for living on earth ...and motivated only by rewards that could be gotten here on earth.

The basis of the message is "Treat others as you would have them treat you." But this book examines what he was saying in the Beatitudes (totally new understanding for me..I have never heard this is Sunday School), how far do you have to go in turning the other cheek, etc.

I highly recommend this book, especially for non-christian, non-religious people like me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2013 8:57 AM PDT

Pictures of Nothing: Abstract Art since Pollock (The A. W. Mellon Lectures in the Fine Arts)
by Kirk Varnedoe
Price: $32.78
82 used & new from $17.10

1.0 out of 5 stars They really need a Zero Star category for books like this one, July 24, 2007
I watched the excellent series on art on DVD called "Power of Art" by Simon Schama. The last episode of the series is on Mark Rothko, an abstract painter. It made me want to learn more about abstract art, so I bought this book. Annnt! Thanks for playing. This book is a dog. It didnt help me understand abstract art one bit . In fact, it goes on and on about pieces of "art," but does not explain them beyond being smears or smudges or works of technique. The basis of abstract art is not explained at all.

BTW, it appears from this book that these guys were often making paintings just as rude jabs at one another's work.

I found the book a total waste.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2007 11:18 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2