Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for Richard Collier > Reviews

Browse

Richard Collier's Profile

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Richard Collier RSS Feed

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack (For Refurbished PC Installation)
Offered by Marina Supply
Price: $88.98
4 used & new from $87.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great; exactly as described. Should work for anyone -- Just understand what you are buying., June 30, 2015
Works fine and activates just fine. Expect no problems. The disk I received looked like it came off a standard mass CD burner; it was clearly not Microsoft packaging. This is actually consistent with some OEM marketing arrangements Microsoft has made; it does not necessarily indicate the product is not genuine. (For example, think of the "backup media" you can buy with your new PC from some big companies like Dell or Lenovo.) A Microsoft "genuine" Windows sticker with serial number is included with the disk (just like the stickers you find on the unit when you buy a new PC with Windows pre-installed). The serial number provided worked fine to activate the product in the usual way. (However, note that activation will FAIL with a generic "bad key code" error message unless you are actually online and connected to the Internet at the time. If that happens, the error will not say your system needs to be connected; it says your code is not valid. If that happens, you can still proceed with setup and activate later when the system is actually online; you have 30 days to complete activation before your copy becomes crippleware.)

OEM system builder version of Windows is still the full Windows installation and works just fine to install on a new system; it is different than the full retail version in that it does not come in the colorful Microsoft packaging and it works ONLY for a new install on an otherwise blank system (or to replace an old system by formatting the hard drive before install). OEM builder just can NOT be used to upgrade from another version of Windows. After initial install, it will work just like any other Windows disk would on the system where you installed it (for example, if you need to use it to install drivers or something later).

In my case, the vendor made a mistake in packaging; I was shipped a Win Home disk instead of the correct Win Pro disk. The vendor noticed the error even before my copy was delivered, contacted me to explain, and express mailed the correct disk via next-day air (at no extra cost to me). The key code sticker included with the original shipment was still the correct Window Pro license key; it worked just fine. No complaints!

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 70A4001MUX Intel Quad Core Xeon E3-1225v3 4GB RAM 500GB HDD Desktop Server PC
Offered by Hollister Y
Price: $616.00
16 used & new from $600.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the System and Pleasantly Surprised, June 30, 2015
A great product. I really like these little servers; good and solid performance in a reasonable form factor. The system comes with disks with the instruction manual and Server OS (think Windows Server) drivers; if you are installing Win7 or Win8 you may need to go online and download some drivers from the Lenovo website. Once you have the drivers, the OS installs simply and with no problems; no extra work is needed -- just stay the course through the hundreds of updates that need to be downloaded and applied. It will all run automagically and with no trouble.

I ordered from Computer Upgrade King. To my surprise, my system came with all of the drive mountings, screws, and brackets needed to expand the system up to four internal hard drives. Those parts are optional and cost extra from Lenovo; they have not been included with previous "bare" systems. I was pleasantly surprised to find this system had them already installed; all I had to do was drop in the drives. The only thing I need to supply were the SATA cables. I don't know if that is standard if you order the system with a drive pre-installed, or if it is just an added feature Computer Upgrade King provides. For my money, it makes buying the system with a pre-installed drive worth the extra money, even you think you don't need the drive (that is, you already have the drives you plan to use). The added cost for the pre-installed drive is less than the cost and inconvenience buying all the extra brackets and cobbling it together yourself.

Tt eSPORTS POSEIDON ZX Illuminated Gaming Keyboard, Brown Switch Edition (KB-PZX-KBBLUS-01)
Price: $79.99
2 used & new from $79.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Value for the Price. A couple of notes., June 30, 2015
The keyboard works flawlessly as described. Good value for the relatively low price. A couple of things that I didn't notice when I was buying: The keyboard is not fully functional until after the operating system has booted. If you need to push, say, F1 to get into computer BIOS settings before the system has finished booting, this keyboard is not your best choice. You will need to keep your old keyboard for use when you need function keys, etc., before the operating system has fully started. Took me a few minutes to figure that out, but I decided to use this keyboard anyway; the inability to use it to get into BIOS is an added security feature for a PC that is left running and could be accessed by others. Second, the keyboard is permanently lit as long as it has power; unlike other lighted keyboards, the key backlights do not turn off after a period of not being used. (Not an issue for me, but could be disturbing if you don't want the light in a dark room.)

VideoSecu 500ft CAT5E Cable 4 Pair 24 AWG UTP WT Pure Copper Ethernet Network Wire WL5
Offered by Warehouseseller
Price: $52.99
4 used & new from $47.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my use, June 30, 2015
Perfect for my use. Spooled easily from the box and I was able to string and install by myself. I only had to intervene to unkink wire in the box once per box of wire. (And on the rare occasions when you need to do that, the box opens easily and it is very simple to spot the kink and fix it. Close the box back up, and you're back in business) Excellent performance for plenum wire. (For first time buyers: Plenum wire is a little stiff and kinks easily; it is the nature of the beast. I have NEVER had plenum wire not kink out of the box; this was by far the best experience I have ever had.) Solid copper core. Despite a few kinks (pulling by myself through a hot Florida attic), the cable works perfectly. I am using for POE install of security cameras with up to 300 foot runs. Performance is perfect.

Expert Shield - The Crystal Clear Screen Protector for: Sony A7 MK II / A7R II / A7S II / A7II
Offered by Expert Shield Ltd.
Price: $12.95
5 used & new from $12.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to apply and does what's expected, May 20, 2015
Directions for installation were good. I followed the directions and had no troubles. I did practice as they suggest, which helped me figure out how to place my own fingers and hold the camera to avoid trouble aligning and applying without bubbles, etc. I got no bubbles or concerns; the protector attached cleanly and seems well attached. The suggestion to apply in a steamy bathroom to avoid dust also seems to have worked; I have no dust trapped under the screen shield. The screen is just about invisible on the camera. The back / screen area has taken some knocks and rubbing from other gear in the last couple of weeks since the shield was installed; so far, there are no mars or scratches. It is a simple product, easy to apply, and seems to do what I expected. There's not much more to say.

Lenovo ThinkPad Helix 36984SU 11.6-Inch Convertible 2 in 1 Touchscreen Ultrabook (2 GHz Intel Core i7-3667U Processor, 8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, Windows 8)
11 used & new from $500.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Machine, May 29, 2013
First: The vendor/fulfillment. I ordered just a few days after the first sporadic reports started that the machine was finally shipping, and before the Lenovo website even showed it as available. I was more than half expecting to be disappointed -- imagining a "back order" claim. Turned out I was wrong. Believe it, folks: The machine showed up three days later, exactly as promised. I fired it up and immediately went online to register with Lenovo. No issues; the registration "took" and I immediately started getting the expected greetings emails. A legit product, exactly as promised.

The machine: Fabulous. (Note: I am specifically not going to review Windoze 8, except to say I find it takes too many clicks or gestures to do anything and the interface is obtuse -- but it is mostly useable, with patience.)

I am a working travel photographer and also dabble in web site management. (Doesn't everybody nowadays?) I was looking for a machine that could combine functions so I would have to carry less when traveling. After several weeks of use, I conclude: The Lenovo Helix is totally cool. It is attractive, small, light, flexible, has good battery life, and runs everything I've thrown at it.

In short: It works. I no longer carry a separate laptop (for work) and iPad (casual use, entertainment, and light work in transit); this one Lenovo Helix does it all. One thin machine and one small power supply, vice two of each: Weighs less, fits better, does everything I need. As a bonus, this machine is faster/more powerful and has more working memory (RAM) than my old laptop -- no compromises to use the latest versions of my software.

After purchase, I immediately tried this machine as my primary (only) computing device on a week-long trip. Since then I have taken two more working trips. This is the right machine for my intended purpose. Detach the tablet portion and you have an iPad equivalent (though granted, iOS is a cleaner experience than is the current version of this unpleasant compromise of an operating system). With keyboard on backwards, it is a great viewer / movie machine. With the keyboard attached "front-wards," it is a full-fledged and powerful enough laptop. I no longer carry my iPad; this machine does it all -- and does so handily.

Form and build: The system is solid. It is a bit weightier than would be a similar-sized small ultrabook or laptop, but I would not call it heavy. The whole thing put together (that is, assembled with keyboard and folded like a laptop) feels lighter in one hand than my previous kit (a 12-inch Acer laptop plus an iPad), and it certainly takes up less space. Power supply is external but small; it fits easily in an outside pocket of my backpack or camera bag (so, also takes less space than previous kit, which needed two small power supplies). There is no physical latch to keep the system folded; for that it depends on stiffness of the hinges. The hinge system works well and will hold any position it can reach -- even balanced on my knees during a violent plane ride, landing in a thunder storm. I do notice some apparent "flex" or "wobble" where the tablet joins the keyboard hinges; that seems cosmetic since the tablet does latch firmly and cannot be separated and as noted, the hinges hold any position well. The design of the hinges does stop the system from opening flat; that can be a minor inconvenience but in my opinion is offset by the flexibility of being able to detach or reverse the screen. I have quickly gotten used to it.

Performance: As a photographer, I need enough power, memory, and drive space and a good enough display to actually use photo processing software on the road. As a (poor) web developer, I need to run a local server emulator and browser software. Probably the most demanding application I run is Adobe Photoshop; that tests the processor, disk drive, and memory. Running the web host emulator WAMP with a web browser (I use Firefox and Chrome for development work) stresses the system in a different way, exercising multiprocessing, memory, and hardware integration and drivers. I also regularly watch recorded videos (movies or TV), read books (Kindle), and play games (Civilization and a few others).

Every program I want to run works exactly as expected. The screen is beautiful and responsive (movie watching) and can be tuned for color reproduction (photographer). The system is plenty powerful enough to run games and all programs mentioned without any lag or performance hits (at least, none significant enough that I've noticed them). Obviously, programs like Photoshop that are not designed for touch work best if one uses the keyboard and trackpad attached. The keyboard is Lenovo quality (that is, excellent) and the multi-touch trackpad works great. The system is also delivered with a Wacom pen-pointer, so it can be used for really fine art or graphics work by hand. (Which could be a selling point all by itself -- I'm not aware of any other laptop or tablet on the market that offers Wacom technology built-in. So if you know what that is and why you want it, this is probably the small/light machine for you.)

Battery life is fine for travel. I haven't taken any really long-haul trips yet, but so far I have never run out of power. So far, I've used it up to five or six hours (intermittently) while traveling without an issue.

Storage capacity. At 256GB, the largest available built-in solid-state drive (SSD) for storage is large for a tablet but small~ish for a photographer. The good news: There is room to load all the needed software -- and some of those programs are relatively massive. There's plenty of room left over for some downloaded videos, pictures, and etc. The down side: With all my software and etc. loaded, there is only room on the drive for a day or so of shooting. Since my images are my income, I backup to external hard drive daily anyway, so I've been able to adapt -- just don't try to keep all images on the machine. There are two USB-3 ports, so both camera (or external card reader) and an external hard drive can be connected at the same time. (The two USB-3 ports are on the keyboard half; the tablet half has one USB-2 port that is covered up when attached to the keyboard.)

It is worth noting that the SSD is a standard commercial mSATA device, so theoretically could be upgraded after-market in future. The socket is totally internal, but according to the Lenovo service manual it is a standard mSATA form factor and not soldered. (The service manual for this machine is available as a PDF on-line at Lenovo: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/helix_hmm_en_0c10337.pdf.) A hard drive (SSD) upgrade seems possible -- though I have not had the guts to disassemble my baby yet, and I'm sure it would jeopardize the warranty. I think I'll probably live with it for a while yet.

Conclusion: I am really happy with this machine. Highly recommended if you have the money and are looking to replace another, older laptop or to lighten / consolidate your load. As a small/light machine, I do not think it could replace my "big," primary work desktop, but it is totally the right tool for the small, light, traveling job. Get one and enjoy!

Note: There are several versions / models of the Lenovo Helix "out there." Typically, Lenovo and online advertisers do not do a good job of saying what is the difference between the various models. The particular model I bought happens to be the most powerful / largest memory version that does not have a built-in cell-service connection -- as it happens, exactly what I wanted, so perfect for me. If you are unsure, there is a Lenovo marketing spec sheet "out there" on the web as a PDF, which contains every machine Lenovo makes, including all the variants of the Helix: http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/tabook.pdf.)
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2013 2:27 PM PDT

CoolGear® USB 3.0 4-Port Industrial Hub Metal Case with Screw Lock Cable Option
CoolGear® USB 3.0 4-Port Industrial Hub Metal Case with Screw Lock Cable Option
Offered by TYE-MART
Price: $64.99
2 used & new from $59.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and reliable product, February 13, 2013
Perfect hub for that tucked-away back corner, behind a bunch of drives where it's hard to reach. This is a heavyweight, metal box that will stay put, making it easy to plug, unplug, and generally ignore. It's heavy enough not to be shoved or pulled around by the weight of cables. (But then, it is also pretty industrial in appearance -- not all light, sleek, and plastic like many. You probably won't want to put it out on your desk where you will always be looking at it.) Unlike lighter and less expensive hubs I've tried, this one does not randomly disconnect or give any problems. I attached the thing the day it arrived (tucked away in the back of a shelf), connected four peripheral drives, and have not had to mess with it since. For the first time in years, all my remote peripherals are staying connected and I'm not getting any messages about how my devices could perform faster. Though it is more expensive than others, it is worth the price if your budget permits.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not last, October 13, 2012
Ordered two of these sheet sets in different colors. They arrived on time and seemed perfect on delivery. The sheets fit the bed perfectly and were beautiful and soft to sleep on. Stitching quality is good and the fitted sheet worked well on our very deep-pocket mattress. Unlike other sheets we've tried, these were well fitted, with strong elastic to keep the sheets firmly in place and taut on the bed. We loved them for the first few weeks. I would have given them five stars in the first month.

We cared for these sheets more gently than instructions recommended, washing them on gentle cycle, drying cool or air drying, and rotating so that each set got to "rest" between washings and use on the bed.

After only a couple of months, both sets began pill badly. Three months later, both sets are now rough to the touch and uncomfortable -- in a word, unusable. I am now buying new sheets -- obviously, will pick a different brand. This time, I will probably a (slightly) lower thread count and US cotton.

I would not recommend these sheets. They are beautiful and soft on delivery, but you're just going to have to buy replacements in less than a year. There is a very high price for that very high thread count (= thin threads), made of very soft Egyptian cotton (= not sturdy). Overall, these are definitely not worth the price.

Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED Vibration Reduction Zoom Lens with Auto Focus for Nikon DSLR Cameras
Price: $946.95
43 used & new from $521.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens for FX (and hands-on review), September 21, 2010
I pre-ordered this lens when it was first announced and received my copy about a week ago. On receipt I did a quick test against other lenses. Since then, I've been using the lens on my Nikon D700 (FX format) body to make images for publication. I am really liking the lens; it fits right in with my intended use. Following is the review that "fits" here; There is a lot more including comparison images posted on my blog at [...].

I am a working professional who shoots primarily destination and travel photographs while on the move. I shoot a lot in foreign destinations and on a budget, where I need to travel light and don't want to make myself a lucrative target (festooned with lots of camera gear). I also don't have the weight allowance, enough hands, or the desire to carry extra camera bodies or swap lenses for each and every shot (that is, if I can possibly avoid it). When traveling, I am usually out exploring and must carry all my gear for the whole day, "sun-up to sundown" (along with water, map, guidebook, jacket, etc., etc., and etc.). In the field I often carry a few lenses to cover the situations I expect through a whole day of touring, but I normally have one "walking around" lens on my camera when I go exploring. This new 28-300mm zoom lens is shaping up to be my go-to travel and "walking around" lens. For me, this lens effectively replaces the 18-200mm DX lens that was once my favorite before I upgraded from DX to FX.

My copy of this lens produces images that are contrasty and sharp to the eye at just about every focal length; Overall image quality is quite good across the entire zoom range. There is very little light fall-off from center to edges at all focal lengths. My copy turns out clear, consistent results with very little effort and no more than my usual semi-automatic adjustments and tweaks in photo management software. So far, I have not noticed much flare (though of course there is some, especially when shooting with the lens pointed upwards and toward the sun). I haven't yet calibrated for a lens profile, but at first blush it looks to me like any correction needed will be easily managed in Adobe (or other software). I would be comfortable submitting results from this lens for publication at almost all focal lengths -- in fact, it is better than other lenses I have used in the past for images that have recently ended up on mass-market magazine covers. Based on my testing and experience to date, I expect this lens will become a favorite.

In short: Recommended. For the price (right about $1,000), there is really no competition. If you're looking for an all-in-one zoom in this range, just get it. (However, note: If you are using a DX-format camera, you might better consider the excellent DX equivalent, the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon DX-Format Digital SLR Cameras. The DX 18-200mm lens provides the same effective zoom range in DX format as this 28-300mm does for FX cameras, and it is really very sharp and highly considered. I'd still have mine if I hadn't gone up to an FX-format body.)

If you would like to read more about the new 28-300mm (including side-by-side comparison with other Nikon lenses in a semi-controlled test), you are welcome to read the whole review posted on my blog at thePhotoTourist.com. (There's really way too much detail -- including comparison images -- to stick it all into an Amazon review.) If you're interested, my hands-on review post is at [...].
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2011 4:27 PM PDT