Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Profile for Shan > Reviews

Browse

Shan's Profile

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shan "Shan" RSS Feed (Maine)

Page: 1 | 2
Elementary, Season 1
Elementary, Season 1
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Charming, November 6, 2012
I DVR'd this for my husband and ended up watching it and thoroughly enjoying it myself. I've never been a Sherlock Holmes fan (gasp!) but after watching Johnny Lee Miller in the pilot and the handful of episodes since I am very much enchanted with his neurotic portrayal. Lucy Lu was a harder sell but she's growing on me. Aiden Quinn's character is great and I like how he hangs back and lets Sherlock do his thing. They compliment each other well and work well together. This Sherlock is smart, quirky, funny but also seems oddly vulnerable and lonely. The development of the friendship between Sherlock and Joan is slow and very well done. Definately a good watch!

Supernatural: The Complete Eighth Season
Supernatural: The Complete Eighth Season
DVD
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My Guilty Pleasure Show, November 6, 2012
Season 8 gets off to a terrific start. I had a knee jerk reaction of feeling jipped at first in having the season start out with Dean's escape from Purgatory but the flashbacks were quick to come and very well done. They immediately set the tone for just what kind of year Dean had. It was urgent, bloody and dangerous. Then we flash to Sam leaving behind a woman and a dog. There are flashbacks for him as well only they are of a very different kind in comparison to Dean's. I personally don't mind the whole time jump thing. Its an effective way to get the boys back together but still give us the history of their year apart. The introduction of Benny was wonderful (and great casting) and I look forward to more of that particular back story emerging. I'm betting there is more to Sam's year than what we've been shown and am willing to wait and let the writers unravel his story.

There has been conflict between the brothers since the beginning when Sam wanted to return to Stanford, Jess and a normal life and Dean wanted nothing more than to continue the family business. A LOT of stuff has happened in between but it seems they are coming full circle with Sam wanting out again and Dean a more dangerous and effective hunter than he's ever been.

It's great to see Misha Collins back as Castiel and his fate in Purgatory has yet to be revealed. I like the peek we've been given so far - Castiel leaving Dean to protect him, Dean refusing to leave without him.

There is something unique about each season and I look forward to watching how this one unfolds and hopefully leads to another.

Now We Are Free
Now We Are Free

5.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing and beautiful music, March 27, 2012
This review is from: Now We Are Free (MP3 Music)
This song and music at the end of the Gladiator movie stuck with me long after the movie itself did. I bought the soundtrack soon after for this one song and listened to it over and over again. It is very relaxing. I take my iPod to work with me and listen to music in between appointments. This song slows the chaos of the day down for me. Lisa Gerrard has a beautiful voice. It's one of my most played tracks. You'll be surprised how often you'll find yourself going back to it.

The Walking Dead Season 2
The Walking Dead Season 2
DVD
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised by how much I liked this., January 2, 2012
I'm not much for zombie shows or movies of any kind. It's the human aspect of the show that drew me in. What they do, how they survive, the relationships that are made when the basic tenents of society as we know it have been broken down. I'd watch something like that even if there were no zombies. However, the zombies aspect of this show adds a wonderful scary element of danger that can't help but make one wonder what they themselves would do in such a situation. This is a drama. It's people plucked out of every day life and dropped into a new and terrifying world that looks exactly the same. It's about how they survive. It's not meant to be about zombies macking on people for an hour. Though the fact that that could happen does make it interesting. The zombies themselves are disgustingly well done and gross and the gore is quite graphic and realistic. When a zombie bites into someone's neck and rips the flesh free and blood spurts and sprays...it looks real. There is a very disgusting scene involving a well in Season 2 that I will not go into other than to say...Wow. I've seen R rated horror movies that weren't that well done or dramatic. Granted, the zombies are thankfully dense and sheeplike and they have only one purpose. To feed. On you. Add in a little imagination as to how you would survive in such a world and the show is quite compelling.

I wont get into characterization too much other than to say there is a hodge podge to choose from. Some you will like, some you wont. Some will be easy to identify with and others will really make you think about what choices YOU would make in their place. All will surprise you at some point and you may just cheer for the most unlikely of hereos as well as the obvious ones. If you can handle the gore - this is a show not to be missed.
Comment Comments (26) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2014 4:05 PM PST

Super Mario Time to Team Up 50-by-60-Inch Microraschel Throw Blanket
Super Mario Time to Team Up 50-by-60-Inch Microraschel Throw Blanket
Offered by Queen of Sales
Price: $39.99
2 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My son LOVES this., January 2, 2012
My mother-in-law got this for my son for Christmas and he LOVES it. It's larger than a standard throw and is ultra soft and snuggable. The colors pop and are very vibrant. Perfect for winter time cuddling while watching a movie or playing your favorite Mario video game.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge and vibrant, January 2, 2012
I have a little Mario fiend in my household :) Along with many other Mario related products I ordered this poster. It came very quickly. I opened it at work and my co-workers and I were amazed with the color and vibrancy. It also seems bigger than a standard sized poster. Not sure if it is, but it seems bigger. I bought a poster frame for it and had to trim it a bit for it to fit. My 10 yr old was *thrilled* with this on Christmas morning.

Pre-Built Gingerbread House Kit
Pre-Built Gingerbread House Kit

3.0 out of 5 stars Not something that should be shipped, January 2, 2012
This review is from: Pre-Built Gingerbread House Kit
The house itself is pretty sturdy and packed well. The gingerbread trees and men however are just plastic wrapped and sitting on top of the wrapped house. The men were fractured into several pieces. The trees were mostly whole but easily broke when I carefully tried to open them. The kids snacked on the cookies while decorating the house. There's a good selection of candy for decorating and plenty of frosting, but I have to agree with others - look for this kit locally. The fact that it was pre-built was a seller for me. I don't have the time or patience to glue the house together and the kids really only want to decorate. The product itself is great and I would definately recommend it - just don't get it through the mail :)

Indigo Teen Dreams: Guided Relaxation Techniques Designed to Decrease Stress, Anger and Anxiety while Increasing Self-esteem and Self-awareness (Indigo Dreams)
by Lori Lite
Edition: Audio CD
Price: $15.95
41 used & new from $5.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped my child fall asleep, December 25, 2009
My child tends to be naturally anxious. When she skipped the 8th grade and went into 9th it was such a change in schedule and class/grade expectations that the additional stress caused some insomnia and the lack of sleep ended up causing more stress.

Around that time, through my job, I attended a stress management seminar. One of the techniques of reducing stress was guided meditation. We were encouraged to lie on the floor with a pillow that we were told to bring. The instructor said that some find guided meditation so relaxing that they'd fall asleep. I figured it'd be relaxing but no way i'd fall asleep in the middle of the day. The only reason I did not fall asleep is because I fought it. If I had let myself go completely - I would have been out. It was SO relaxing and I felt so refreshed when the seminar was complete that I immediately starting searching for something age appropriate for my daughter.

This is the product I purchased. My daughter is a young 13 and I can still recall the look on her face when I gave her the CD...something along the lines of a mocking 'yeah, whatever.' There was no mocking the next day. She fell asleep before the CD ended and has not had a problem sleeping since. To this day I don't think she's made it to the end of the CD. If she's really stressed she'll follow the guided relaxation, but often she'll just put the CD in and let the voice lull her to sleep. She finds the man's voice very peaceful and relaxing. I bought this 3 months ago and she listens to it nearly every night. Well worth the purchase.

Uncle Milton - Moon In My Room
Uncle Milton - Moon In My Room
Price: $18.49
99 used & new from $18.00

3.0 out of 5 stars It really is a moon in your child's room, January 2, 2009
My son has always had a fascination with the moon - always pointing it out at night and those times when you can just see a ghost of it in the daytime. Crescent moon or full moon - he loves it.

This is not a toy really - more a nightlight or decoration. He loves it and it is quite realistic, if not as bright as it is shown in the pic. He's mesmerized by it each night and always falls asleep before it shuts off. Very good purchase for us.

It was about $20 when I bought it just before Christmas. It's gone up as I write this. But still worth it if your child is as fascinated by the moon as mine is.

Transformers Movie Screen Battles - Capture Of Bumblebee
Transformers Movie Screen Battles - Capture Of Bumblebee
9 used & new from $19.95

3.0 out of 5 stars I bought this for $10.14 in Oct 08, January 2, 2009
I pre-ordered this for Christmas for my 5 yr old. It's now showing as $24.99?! What's up with that? It's an okay toy - but not worth that price.

It is impossible for a 5 yr old to get bumblebee back into car form. It was for mine anyways. He's relatively patient and persistent but he finally just handed it off to me with a hopeful look in his eye. It took me awhile too let me tell you. I almost didnt want to give it back to him after all that effort. For those who enjoy puzzles and a little challenge it's great. For the kids that just want to play with them - it can be a little aggravting. The switch from car to transformer is pretty quick - but back the other way...? Not so much.

Page: 1 | 2