Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Alana Noel Voth > Reviews

Browse

Alana Noel Voth's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alana Noel Voth "alananoel" RSS Feed (Colorado)

Deadpool
Deadpool
DVD
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, May 30, 2016
This review is from: Deadpool (Amazon Video)
Super fun movie.

Blank
Blank

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet & Sexy Angst, March 15, 2010
This review is from: Blank (Kindle Edition)
My favorite Sommer Marsden story yet. Beautiful prose, and I fell in love with the character, Kyle. Timely subject matter too. I'd like to know where all these beautiful gay boys roam. Sexy stuff.

Base Nature
Base Nature
Price: $1.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Blissfull Yet Thought Provoking Escapism, Sexy as Hell!, February 7, 2010
This review is from: Base Nature (Kindle Edition)
Sommer Marsden's "Base Nature" is well written, skillfully paced, and sexy as hell. Loved the lycan slant. This author nails the physicality of relationships. She also has a way with words. "He has that harsh ozone smell of crazy about him." One of my favorite lines in the book. "Base Nature" offers romance, suspense, and even humor. I loved it. Did I mention the book is sexy? Yup, it turned me on. On a more thoughtful note, Marsden's story asks an important question: is a woman's transition from prey to predator, or powerlessness to empowered, entirely self dependent, or does she in fact require help from a man? Excellent question in this world . . . or any other. Highly recommend.

Love Junkie: A Memoir
Love Junkie: A Memoir
by Rachel Resnick
40 used & new from $0.36

5.0 out of 5 stars I Want to Write A Memoir Like Rachel Resnick When I Grow Up., November 12, 2008
This review is from: Love Junkie: A Memoir (Hardcover)
I'll preface my review with two things:

I'm a writer.

I'm not a self-identified sex addict but am far better at seducing men than trusting them.

I procrastinated reading this book. I had it a few weeks, and I'd look at it, think about reading it, and then I'd not read it, procrastinate some more. I knew I'd feel the subject matter personally, that's why, and I needed to prepare myself for the emotional fallout.

Also, I wanted to feel ready to learn how to write better memoir.

So, for me, the reading experience would be two-fold. A big deal.

Once I started Rachel Resnick's Love Junkie, I couldn't put it down. How does a writer manage to write a story that feels simultaneously demoralizing and redemptive? That's a gift. I say that as a person who reads often, and reads varying types of books. I say that as a woman who's faced her own challenges with intimacy. I say that as a human being fumbling a path across the landscape of life. And I say this as a writer who felt artistically charged by reading this book. Thank you, Rachel Resnick, for all the above.

To you, scanning this review right now, I say: read Rachel Resnick's book if you are at all interested in memoir; read this book if you're at all interested in addiction; read this book if you're a feminist; read this book if you're anti-feminist. Read this book if you're a woman. Read this book if you've mistaken sex for love or used sex to create a false cushion of power or self worth. Read this book if you wish to write naked and honest, if you want to understand your own demons, if you wish to experience another layer of our human condition.

People, we're all fumbling here. Trust me.

That's how good this book is. Thank you.

The Best American Erotica 2006
The Best American Erotica 2006
by Susie Bright
Price: $16.85
56 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Read, Love, and Learn, January 22, 2006
[...]

1. Every year, Susie Bright attempts to orchestrate an ensemble of stories that represent every taste, or almost every taste, but that's an impossible feat, as demonstrated by reviews of pervious collections. Another thing to note is Susie solicits nominations for each year's collection, so I hope reader/reviewers at Amazon will nominate selections for upcoming editions of BAE.

2. The job of a writer is to entertain readers while holding a mirror to the society he or she lives in-which can make a lot of people uncomfortable. Writers of erotica or writers whose work appears in erotica collections are no exception-or shouldn't be. Erotica is fluid and multi-dimensional, like all literature, and the writers whose work appear in Best American Erotica 2006 offer the complexity of our human condition, sexuality included. BRAVO!

While every single story in this book is good, I have my favorites: "Mille," "Under the House," "Full House," "Drunkie's Surprise," "Ukiyo," "The Clay Man," and "The Nasty Kind Always Are."

The last mentioned, written by Steve Almond, dick-lit maestro that he is, made me gasp at the end. Almond created a story that manages to be social satire while also being downright sexy-and in this case, shocking. I was taken aback.

Sera Gamble's "The Clay Man" is now one of my favorite short stories in the world. I first heard about The Golem watching X-Files. He came up again in graduate school. I intend to read Gamble's story again and again to figure out how it works so well. Let me just say the premise is clever, the protagonist is intriguing, the relationship between the two sisters is complex, and the writing is really-really good. The overall implications of the story venture into deep, uncomfortable terrain.

"Ukiyo," by Donna George Storey, is another well written story that is lush with eroticism and Japanese culture. What I loved best about this story was its ability to take me somewhere I'd never been and experience customs I knew nothing about-all through a writing professor protagonist.

I'm not sure where Susie Bright found Kweli Walker, but I'm grateful she did. Who knew "gumming" a man could make for such a fun and sexy read. The voice in Kweli's story is bawdy and bold, and I loved the mentoring relationship that takes place between the protagonist and the stripper. Excellent stuff!

"Full House is another terrific read by a terrific writer. David Sedaris is always marvelous.

"Under the House" is another story that takes readers to dark and disturbing terrain. Its subject matter pushes the envelope and blurs the line between right and wrong, taboo/socially acceptable, and I dig ambiguity like this. The writing, again, is terrific. Actually "Under the House" is an excerpt from a novel, The Curse of the Inappropriate Man, by the writer, Lynn Freed, which I plan to get sooner than later.

Last but not least, "Mille" is another novel excerpt from Helen Walsh's, Brass, and the excerpt reads as beautifully as a prose poem. I finished reading it then went back and read it again right away.

In fact, I've no doubt I'll read several of the stories in Best American Erotica 2006 again, not only for the sheer enjoyment but to learn something as well.
Peace.

Ripe Fruit: Erotica for Well-Seasoned Lovers
Ripe Fruit: Erotica for Well-Seasoned Lovers
by Marcy Sheiner
20 used & new from $1.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Ripe Fruit: Erotica for Well-Seasoned Lovers, May 12, 2002
Some of us are tired of women the age of Britney Spears and Jennifer Love Hewitt being epitomized as the ideal for female sexuality. Wait until you meet the women in this collection, then it's "Britney who?" Whether you're an older women; in love with an older women; want to be an older woman; or are dying to have an older woman, there's a story in this collection for you--salacious, emotional, funny. The table of contents reads like a whose-who in erotica: rising talents and established favorites. Anything Marcy Sheiner puts together is top notch. KUDOS!