Profile for Rica > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 40

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Rica RSS Feed (SF Bay Area, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Happy Puffs Purple Carrot and Blueberry, 2.1 Ounce
Happy Puffs Purple Carrot and Blueberry, 2.1 Ounce
Offered by BabyHaven
Price: $7.37
7 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Name Says it All - Happy, December 5, 2013
My babies loved it. Once a month, I have nursery detail and they always have snacks for the little ones. And usually they only have a bunch of wheat-based, sugary, snacks. With so many folks with food sensitivities and sugar addictions, I really wanted to have something in there that more good than bad. So I picked a few cans up to try. They're shaped like Cheerios, but much less sweeter. Still sweet enough for little hands to gobble them up. I will buy again.

Trader Joe's Just Cashew Meal(1 lb)
Trader Joe's Just Cashew Meal(1 lb)

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy it Locally if you Can, December 5, 2013
My review is for the product, and not the price. I use cashews for many things. I use it to make a dairy free milk substitute. I use it to thicken sauces and soups, and to make cashew butter. I make delicious raw desserts. I even use it to make grain free bread. And up to this point, I was always buying the whole nuts, or pieces, and then grinding them myself in a food processor. Now half the work is done! This is a new product that Trader Joe's is carrying, and I intend to buy more, much more! I was already buying a few extra bags of the cashews and storing them quite successfully in my freezer. Now I can do the same with the meal, and it's less expensive for the same quantity. So glad for Trader Joe's!

One star off for Amazon's price. Buy it locally if you can, you'll get a much better price.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2014 1:40 AM PST

Easy As Vegan Pie: One-of-a-Kind Sweet and Savory Slices
Easy As Vegan Pie: One-of-a-Kind Sweet and Savory Slices
by Hannah Kaminsky
Price: $14.42
81 used & new from $2.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Might work for a Coffee Table book, November 15, 2013
I love to bake, especially low carb. I was familiar with Hannah's book My Sweet Vegan before I started baking low carb, and it had a few recipes that were successfully for me, so her new book appealed to me, if only for her creativity. She does offer a gluten free crust recipe made with sweet rice flour and tapioca flour, but does not indicate what pies would compliment such a crust. The recipes look amazing because every pie recipe has the complimentary picture included.

However, my biggest concern with this vegan pie book, is the small print. When following a recipe, I use a cookbook holder, that has a permanent spot on my kitchen counter. After placing the book in my cookbook holder, I noticed that the font was so small, I could barely read it! I assume the very glossy paper that the recipes are printed on is to accentuate the finished product, but the glare it produces is distracting at best, and does nothing to facilitate reading the recipe. I know it's important to read the entire recipe to make sure you have all the ingredients, but I can't be expected to remember all of it, while I am putting the recipe together. Many of the recipes, are printed on a colored background, with white or black type, and I think these are the hardest of all to read.

I really wanted to like this book, but to try out most of the recipes in this book, I would need to retype the recipes out myself, just so I could read them! That's more work than I'm willing to do. Yes, the book is pretty, and her ideas are creative, but it is not a practical book. The book is obviously designated for the younger crowd, or those with better eyesight. It's a little small for a coffee table book, but might work.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2015 8:02 PM PST

Pimsleur German Conversational Course - Level 1 Lessons 1-16 CD: Learn to Speak and Understand German with Pimsleur Language Programs
by Paul Pimsleur
Edition: Audio CD
Price: $33.94
44 used & new from $19.00

5.0 out of 5 stars First time with Pimsleur, September 12, 2013
We ordered this about six weeks before we left for Germany. I grew up listening to my parents speak, but we were not encouraged to speak back, because we were in America now, and needed to speak English. Nevertheless, it's been in my head all these years, dormant, and Pimsleur brought it back to life for me! My husband, who is a native Spanish speaker from birth, had a little more challenge with some of the pronunciation, but with a little encouragement from me, was able to pick up a few phrases with confidence.

I think learning a new language is more challenging to adults, but the Pimsleur method which concentrates on repeating useful phrases for the tourist without writing anything down, makes your brain work a little harder. Even if we had to repeat a lesson or two, it was a fun to explore my mother tongue again. After a while, I learned not to blurt out the answer, so that my husband had a chance to build his confidence in learning another language too.

Even though the Pimsleur method was fairly easy for me to follow, as the saying goes, "If you don't use it, you will lose it." So it was for me, all these years of not using the German language made me forgetful. It was wonderful hearing the speakers and I relished the idea of actually using my new skills in the country of my birth.

This particular program is just an introduction. It will not provide you with all that you need, just the basics, like simple etiquette, directions, or ordering food at a restaurant. But even this will not help if you find yourself in Hannover, with your car locked in a parking garage at 1:30 in the morning.

Dickies Scrubs Women's Elastic Waist Pant
Dickies Scrubs Women's Elastic Waist Pant
Price: $7.15 - $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Pocket Fiends, July 15, 2013
I've been ordering quite a few of these pants, just b/c I love the pockets. I'm on the slim side, and decided to order the x-small this time. While I can't carry my water bottle in one of the side pockets like I can with the regular small, at least I'm not rolling in excess fabric. They are on the short side, so I decided to keep them and then just roll up the hems and use them for Capri pants. I really like the Teal color too. The only thing I did to them was take a seam ripper and ripped out the Dickie brand logo on the side pocket. I don't want to wear an advertisement for the company.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars So perfectly cozy, June 29, 2013
There is nothing like snuggling up in a fuzzy, pretty robe after a nice long hot soak. I started taking epsom salt baths to soothe tired muscles, and found that I really missed the warm robes of my younger days. I saw this robe, found the price reasonable and ordered it. The service was prompt. Just what the doctor ordered!

Ellington Annie 3180 Field Bag
Ellington Annie 3180 Field Bag

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as sturdy as some, June 29, 2013
I was looking for a new tote that I could carry my waterbottle easily. This one caught my eye, with the two outside compartments and multitude of pockets inside. Here's what I really like about this bag. It's small enough so it's not too bulky, the strap is long and easily adjusted for comfort. Inside, there's a key ring and three outside pockets on the other side of the flap, where I stored a cell phone, calculator, lip balm, hand lotion, pens, a small notebook. On the flap part, there is a zipper compartment for storing flat things like tickets or coupons. Inside the big zippered compartment on top, is still one smaller zipper pocket inside. And the bag usually sits by itself, when temporarily grounded. Either I'm rough on purses or the thin, nylon lining of this purse is weak, because less than a year after purchasing it, the lining is ripping away from the core of the bag, so I either have to get needle and thread out, or look for a new bag. The other thing I wasn't completely satisified was the depth of the water bottle holder. Initially, the pocket seemed a little short for my 20-oz. water bottle, but I adjusted soon enough. Soooooooooo disappointed though that the thin nylon lining is making such a mess, of this once a wonderful bag.
**Update: Since I purchased the bag at REI, I just went back and they were able to track my purchase on their computer base. They have an amazing return policy so I was able to replace it with a new one in the store, and to my delight it was on sale! So not only did I get a new bag, I got $$ back - how cool is that?

Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt Soaking Solution, Amber Vanilla, 48 Ounce
Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt Soaking Solution, Amber Vanilla, 48 Ounce

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleasant Fragrance, April 14, 2013
It was recommended that I take Epsom Salt soaks after bodywork or for just plain achy muscles. I found the no-name brand they sell at the local drugstores did not dissolve very well. Then I saw Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt Soaking Solution in an Amber and Vanilla scent here on Amazon, and thought I would give it a shot. I ordered the unscented and this scented version. I tried the Epsom Salt Soaking solution using 1 cup of the scented plus 1 cup of the plain (also Dr. Teal's) plus 1 cup of baking soda (for my hard water), and it is the perfect level of fragrance for me. I like the fact that it lingers in the room, even after all the soaking water has gone all away. It also dissolved perfectly in my water. I would definitely order this again.

Funfresh Foods Gluten Free, Almond Flour, 14 Ounce
Funfresh Foods Gluten Free, Almond Flour, 14 Ounce
Offered by Swanson Health Products
Price: $9.59
6 used & new from $9.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Blanched Makes all the Difference, February 7, 2013
Funfresh GF almond flour, 14-oz. After adopting a LC WOE 2 years ago I started baking with almond flour almost exclusively. This was the first stuff I saw and I think its perfectly fine if you only bake once in a while due to the high cost for less than a pound. When a recipe calls for almond flour, you don't want to start with almond meal, which is usually ground up almonds, with the skin still on, as your baked goods will be heavy. Here they have blanced the almonds, removed their skins and ground it up.

The only other brand of almond flour I have tried is the blanched almond flour from Honeyville Grain. I buy the 5# bags and I usually pay slightly over $5/lb. Plus if you order directly from them, they offer sales periodically, which they advise you of via email. There is a slight difference when comparing the Honeyville Grain and the Funfresh flours. IMO the Honeyville Grain is a finer grind, which makes for a better product, and since it is less expensive than the Funfresh, it is my choice when baking with almond flour.

The other thing I love about baking with almond flour in general is that the baked goods come out really moist! With my dry palate, this is a godsend. Happy Baking!

UltraBake Parchment Paper Sheets - 12 × 16˝
UltraBake Parchment Paper Sheets - 12 × 16˝
Offered by My Kitchen Center
Price: $13.95
5 used & new from $13.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Your Average Parchment Paper, January 30, 2013
Re: Ultra-Bake 12x16-1/2" Parchment paper sheets. I was first introduced to parchment paper in culinary school. In baking class we used big sheets. Then I started buying the rolls for home use. Soon I became tired of rolls, the curling of the paper and the cost of one particular brand, so I came here to see what I could find. These looked interesting and so I bought them. The first thing I tried was my cheese crisps, one one where you take slices of cheese, cut them into 4ths, and then scatter them on the parchment paper, and nuke in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Not only did the crisps stick to the paper after they had cooled briefly, but they were good for one round in the microwave and nothing more. Previous uses with parchment paper, had me making the whole batch on one sheet of parchment paper! When I contacted the company they said this was "uncoated parchment paper." I had never heard of uncoated parchment paper!

My second experiment with Ultra-Bake's uncoated parchment paper was my go-to recipe for a low carb fruit and nut cookie. This is a delicate cookie, but rich in fat and just delicous, or so everyone I share it with agrees. The instructions say that it's ok to put the cookie directly on an ungreased pan, and I did this the first time, but then I still had to clean the pan up, So I decided to whip out the this uncoated parchment paper by Ultra-bake. While it did make clean up a bit easier, fat from the cookies saturated the uncoated parchment paper and made the pan greasy. The thing that really irked me though, was when I removed my cookies from the paper, the bottoms tore, which made them easier to fall apart, and less likely for me to want to share them with anyone!

While I don't presume to be an expert on parchmnent paper by any means, this uncoated parchment paper by Ultra-Bake reminds me of very thin paper, as one reviewer stated, cut into the size and shape one would find in "standard" parchment paper.

Instead, for just a bit more of an effort (recycling vs. rubbish), buy sheets for your baking sheets of Kitchen Supply resuable parchment paper available here on Amazon. I bught the size 13x17" and cut them to fit my sheet pans. This is a coated paper, and is reusable. Those low carb fruit and nut cookies I mentioned? They virtually slide off of these sheets; no more tearing and more to share!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4