Profile for NisLaniF > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

NisLaniF "BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum" RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA)

Page: 1 | 2
Authentically Black: Essays for the Black Silent Majority
Authentically Black: Essays for the Black Silent Majority
by John H. McWhorter
117 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Valid tho incorrect., December 11, 2004
I decided to pick this book up when I was waiting for my movie to start. I have read book after book after book from the black political left, and so when I saw this guy's book, I decided to pick it up. See, I saw him on HBO debating against Dame Dash about hip hop, but I caught the tail end. I must admit that I did pass judgement on his "blackness" based solely on his demeanor and speech pattern (not his syntax, but pattern/accent.) But I said to myself that this couldn't be right. I'm not too far off myself, being a california black academic who was always told he "spoke white". So I got "Authentically Black", as Loosing the Race was not there and I was therefore unaware of it.

QUESTION: Why is it that in Liberal California, these negroes feel an overwhelming need to be conservative for no damn reason??!? I figured that if I read this guy's work, SOMETHING WILL MAKE SENSE and help give my own leftist vies some sort of perspective. Sorry, no. This man has me academically by 15 years (him finishing college in the mid eighties, me finishing Morehouse in the late nineties) and you'd think that in that time, he'd know how to research things or at least observe society and his own surroundings. As I try to read through this work, trying to give him the benefit of the doubt at every page-turn, he never ceases to amaze me. On page 28, I was forced to grab my pen and fill the pages with ink, which upset me because I didn't spend this money to have to correct someone who just by sheer numbers should be my academic superior. But on page 28 I just could not take it, where he says that profiling is necessary to protect the black community. He makes the self-defeatist presumption that it must be okay because it is the little black boys who are pushing the drugs. OF COURSE IT IS, that's all who's there. That still doesn't explain why I get hustled by cops all over Southern California and profiled for the same thing, though I'm an attorney and damn near thirty! It also doesn't take into account the complexion of the people who are the real problem. Id suggest he sit down with congresswoman waters, but judging by his books and how he almost lies about some other author's intentions and efforts, he'd probably be so rude to her in presuming her stance that she'd slap him. (Or at least want to. I've met with her on many occasions.) He'd likely call her an opportunist and move on.

He also has the habbit of "supporting" his ludicrous points by noting two or three bad examples from his conversations with students. Usually, he'll say things like "I asked black people xyz and they are left without an answer" or "such and such happened and they chalked it up to racism, when it clearly was not, but so and so was so upset by it!" Some girl was waiting for a bus and a man dropped a quarter in her cup assuming she was homeless, or so she presumed and she was distraught. Okay, citing the overly dramatic black girl is not going to bolster your points, but makes one wonder how weak your point is that you have to (a) ask idiots questions about race, and (b) use the worst examples available as proof. Time and again he asks idiots.

Speaking as a man born and raised in the Bay Area in the community around where this man works and lives as one of "those kind of people", I can't help but to feel this man is just trying too hard to fit in, and it is not entirely rare in Bay Area black politics. He uses the propensity of negroes in that area to be able to get any kind of white woman they want as a sign that race relations are getting better, disregarding the fact that it's always black men and white women. I have yet to determine his propensity, but if I were a betting man, I would be able to pay back my loans and a housenote wagering on HIS desires for white women, which would not surprise me.

But enough of this point by point dismantling of his views. I'll do that as I prepare to write my work about the black political left using the dismantling of the works of black conservatives as a conduit through which to do so. Potential names are "Negrodicious Tendacies" or "You're Just Not Like The Others!" or "Why Are All the Black Professors Left Sitting By They Gyatdayum Self??!?" Instead, let us look at te most offensive premise of this man's "work":

Blacks are self-proclaimed victims in a world wherein racism is merely "residual", but keep up the image of victimology to make whites feel guilty so that they can give us - wait for it - hand outs and social programs. Guess what: I agree we as Blacks will die of starvation if we wait for the Larger Society to give us what we are either OWED or are EARNED (for nothing is a "HAND OUT" in america, you will always pay for it somehow if not already). But what planet did he grow up on wherein Blacks in private talk about how good they have it? I grew up almost exclusively around black professionals and millionaires amidst links, boules, masons and Jack & Jillers, and even WITH all the success and money in the world, the majority view - yes, even in N. California - was that things were worse. No, this is not just some act to make whites feel guilty and give us stuff, because none of us needed white hand outs. We already had money. In fact, we knew that problems were severe, because in no way could we buy our way out of racial problems. My father had to budget in time for being pulled over by cops whenever he left to go somewhere due largely to his fondness for expensive german engineering. Let us not get into the racism we as a people face in Law Offices and Medical Offices and Corporate America day in and day out. This cat needs to get out of the office, Turn on some Boots Riley and just look around at his people. Maybe sit and talk with them. We're not as stupid as he thinks, even though we came from the less intelligent and civilized west africans of which he speaks. Maybe he might want to check out a little something about Afrikan history. You know, since he's at one of the biggest UNIVERSITIES ON THE PLANET! I'm sure he can find a book or two on the subject that he can breeze through in a couple days. Maybe a Van Sertima here, a Yochanan there, garnished with som Diop and Mwalimu Baruti. I won't tell him about Marimba Ani. He may run and start protecting his beautiful white women...

For a more academic/less ad hominem review, wait for the book. There will also be a rap soundtrack made for it. I got Ward Connerly and Shelby Steele harmonizing on the hook...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2013 8:51 AM PDT

New Danger
New Danger
Price: $7.39
97 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Not again! First Kweli, now this??!?, October 12, 2004
This review is from: New Danger (Audio CD)
Whereas MOS DEF is so artsy fartsy that his depth is lost in shallow drums.

Whereas MOS DEF was once considered the best to ever do it from BK along with Biggie and Jigga man while holding his own independence.

Whereas Man Tan -- oops -- Mos Def stands in Black Face and shoves Jack Johnson down our throats on a so-called hip hop album.

Whereas Mos Def was at one point both hip hop and rock and roll, he has now missed the balance that made his last album a living legend of sorts.

I realized Mighty Mos' newest effort was to be released at midnight today, so I decided to take a much needed trip out the house and go to Tower on Sunset Blvd. I had done this once before recently for the highly anticipated Talib Kweli album (which I'd give 3 stars). I'm going to stop doing that. That's two busts.

I can't help but to feel that mighty mos has lost his mind. Did we think that he was hot because of his one and a half albums? Did we think he was deep because he hosts a show full of OTHER deep cats like beau sia, shihan the poet and Sekou? Did we think he was hot because of his features on Biker Boyz and as host of Def Poetry where he'd break into song with the most amazing lyricism many of us ever heard on that show? Where did we go wrong in putting our faith in this artist? I can't help but to feel that he is feeling himself just a little too much. (I'm still trying to figure out why he's on the album in black face and white paint on his hands)

And the beats? What beats? I'm a li'l no name emcee out in L.A. and I found better producers than he did. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW. A soleternity here, an equilibrum there, a dreddy starr in the mix, and he could have had much better production along the same lines of what he apparently was looking for but so horrendously missed. Also, keep this man away from a set of drums. He can't play them and shouldn't.

Lyrically, mos is one of the most prolific we know of. At least, he WOULD be if he had more than just an album and a half. And he should sing SOMETIMES. But only A LITTLE BIT. Sing your hooks, an umi says part II, and then RAP, YOU NO SINGIN' EMCEE! You have people like bilal and john legend in your roledex, DON'T SING. That's like eminem making his own beats with Dre and Storch in the room. It shouldn't happen.

In my opinion, Black on Both Sides is one of the best ALBUMS (not rap, but albums in general) EVER. This Black Face garbage needs to be attacked by the mau maus.

Real Estate Transactions
Real Estate Transactions
by George Lefcoe
23 used & new from $0.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Esteemed USC professor of Real Estate Law, September 12, 2004
I was privileged enough to be able to take two major courses with the author of this book at USC Law School in Los Angeles in the 2001-2002 school year. Our text book was in fact, this title. It was a newer edition that had yet to be published, and goes far beyond the basic Real Property to much more pertinent and practicable issues of real estate transactions and finance, even delving into key elements necessary in commercial real estate law practice such as 1021 transfers and the like. I have yet to come across any book more conclusive and comprehensive than this Lefcoe text on the subject of real estate in all of my studies and research. I recommend it to anyone who wants to take a serious look at the subject of real estate transactions and finance on both an legal academic and practitioner's level.

Holla
Holla
Offered by Digital Wax
Price: $11.48
72 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars From a fan and a friend..., June 3, 2004
This review is from: Holla (Audio CD)
In the Bahamas, Baha Men have been on point for 20 years or more. Until "Who Let The Dogs Out", which is not - repeat - NOT what we down in Nassau were used to hearing. That was some nickalodeon garbled stuff. I went back home quite a few months ago to work on MY project, "The Demonstration", and an old high school friend shows up at the studio door. It was Rick Carey of Baha Men. (Back in school, he was just a hip hop producer. Now he's both). We get to talking because "Move It Like This" was horrid. I actually liked their 3X platinum "Who Let The Dogs OUt", but that second album had NO redeeming qualities. It was more kid music; worse than the first. Rick tells me they just wrapped on their second album recorded at Ocean Studios (one of the best ones I've ever walked into...) He also says he wrote more on this album, and it has more of an adult feel. I was more than happy to hear that. Rick grew up with the music, his father's been in Baha Men for around 20 years, if I'm not mistaken.
With songs like "Tempted" and "Holla" and "69", this album is definitely a step in the right direction. If marketed right, it could garner new fans for the group; the likes of which you'd have never imagined. I was there before the album went off to be mastered, I was there to help out with what I could in the tour rehearsals, I was there to watch Rick do some production wizardry on some reggae remixes.
Also, realize that this album is the first for two new members of the group. Rick is the only lead vocalist to return for this third installment of Baha Men. I told rick he could do it, and on this album, they ALL managed to do the d*mn thing. This is amazing, and I recomend it to any and everyone.
Peace, and God Bless.

Dying in Stereo
Dying in Stereo
Offered by Customer Direct
Price: $3.99
87 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars You're kidding, right?, July 17, 2003
This review is from: Dying in Stereo (Audio CD)
I saw the same Carson Daly show and was on the phone with my girl at the time. I love all things hip hop and I caught the tail end of the closed captioning (because the tv was on mute) about a hip hop act being on the show. I stayed on the phone and missed the other guests as they paraded on my television in mute. Like a moron, I decided to turn up the volume when the rap group "Northern State" (not to be confused with the greatly underrated GOLDEN STATE of Xz, Saafir, and Ras Kass) decided to hit the stage. It was their television debut. It was the most god awful rap I've ever seen anywhere. I've been a rap fan since the seventies and have been doing it for over a decade, and even I can make a better record now. Whoever said that this was a mini label release and so they didn't have the resources to make a good record has little to no real knowledge about hip hop. IT DOES NOT TAKE MILLIONS. I've heard albums better than Illmatic made for only 5 thousand dollars. It does not take millions to make a good rap album. What is absolutely necessary is FLOW. These girls rhyme like british colgate commercials from the mid eighties. They will not last. Seeing them makes me wish the Spice Girls were back. Even THEY could rap better.

Breakin'
Breakin'
DVD ~ Lucinda Dickey
Offered by gamecoma
Price: $38.99
18 used & new from $4.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Breakin'. FINALLY!, July 4, 2003
This review is from: Breakin' (DVD)
I must say first to the kid who has his timeline mixed up: Shabadoo aka O-Zone is an official campbell. I.E. he is a campbell locker. The rest of us are just Pop Lockers. (Including Re-Run). Shabadoo's father invented the dance style. I find it highly unlikely "Re-Run" (who is brilliant) would win anything against him.
The movie is full of classic dancers from boogaloo shrimp (turbo) to poppin' taco (who is responsible for most of Michael Jackson's moves) and Poppin Pete. This is a lighter version of what breakin' culture was at the time, but it was hot. The dancin' was real, the West Coast answer to Break dancin.It was around the same time as Beat Street (which actually was NOT as good on the dancing side, but better on the overall appeal of the Hip Hop culture from emceein' to bombin' to djin' to breakin) but Breakin' totally creatin' an image. No one was poppin' as hard as turbo, taco or pete. No one was lockin' on the level of Ozone. Lot as much actual floor work, but this movie for poppers and lockers (called strutters back in those days in some circles) is the best out there.
If you are interested in breakin', this movie and its sequel are the movies that you must memorize move for move.

Invincible
Invincible
Price: $6.99
192 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars His Best Work since "Off The Wall" by far., October 7, 2002
This review is from: Invincible (Audio CD)
It is rare that you get an album wherein a good seven/eight songs could be hit singles. It is rarer still that Michael doesn't make as many singles off an album. I've heard many reasons as to why Mike's album didn't sell, and let me tell you: it is NOT because of some blackmail case from 1995 by some kid's unscrupulous father. This is not R. Kelly (although R does pen a song for Michael. He actually did about five, but only one made it on the album).
But I was a skeptic at first. Mike's last album (or two, or three) didn't really grow on me. It just made me know that he was a very strange man in need of some help over this abusive Childhood...
Then this album came out. And people started saying in online forums how great it was. I swallowed my pride, ran to the door, grabbed myself, kicked my leg, jumped in the car, went to tower, grabbed the blue one, came home listenning to the CD. On the song "Heaven Can Wait" I just had to pull over. This song by itself can easily create another baby boom in this country if it ever leaked to the airways. I have not heard a smoother, well produced song even from the likes of Prince, my favorite artist/poet of all time. Michael outdid prince. Something he hasn't done since "Lady in my Life". He outdoes even THAT. This is an album who's strength is in it's ballads. "Rock My World" was not the song he wanted to come out with as his single. Shoot, he's got BIGGIE on this one! Rock My World sounds like a Rodney Jerkins throw away beat. If you judged the album on that song, you are not alone. I am here with you. I did the same thing. But when I heard "butterflies", "I Cry" (which was only BARELY released as a single), "Heaven Can Wait", etc. you know you done messed up. I gave this album to a girl I knew, and we've been dating now for the past six months. Coincidence? I don't think so.
Now, rumor has it that MJ had put up a lot of collateral on a large loan, and he needed to sell 7 million units U.S. to recoup. Not hard for mike. He can sell that in his sleep (and if you heard the last album, he did just that).
He sold 2 million of this album. His collateral which I would esteem is easily worth 5 times more than the loan itself is at risk. Rumor ALSO has it that he is going to go into the studio with Irv Gotti of Ja Rule/Ashanti fame (who can't seem to get off the radio or MTV to save they mammas' lives). Before you think "why is Michael dealing with a no talent hippity hoppity producer? Just you pump your breaks. This album? The one we just established is his best ever? Was produced by a 24 year old kid who goes by the name "Darkchild" here in my Hippity Hoppity community. Old young, black, white, you will love this album. But more than that, help him out a little. There are worst things you can do than to buy an MJ album. You'll at least get some great music and really set the mood on that special night if you put it in your CD player with some Dizzy Guillespie, Roy Ayers and some Prince Slow Jams.
Definite must buy. It should in fact be a law.

Scandalous Sex Suite
Scandalous Sex Suite
33 used & new from $1.92

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any prince collector or music lover., October 7, 2002
This review is from: Scandalous Sex Suite (Audio CD)
This is a must have for anyone who wants to clean up their apartment/home, put on a little incense, invite that special someone over, and create some ambiance. This is from the Batman era of 1988/89. I know a lot of people have heard prince's "Insatiable" but not "Scandalous". You are getting a raw deal. This song was on the Batman Soundtrack (the first one) and is by far one of the most sensual yet tasteful songs you will EVER hear. It is rare finds like this and impossible finds like "A Place In Heaven" that make prince a legend if NOTHING ELSE. This CD is an extended version that plays all the way through, but has breaks in it (Thank God! His Lovesexy album is runs as one song. I had to recut the song in Cool Edit Pro to make it into different songs. Otherwise, you couldn't skip from song to song!)This one has some great saxaphone playing, a great cameo from Batman star Kim Bassinger, and will definitely "set that mood" for doing "you know what".
Um, er, bible study and sipping tea. What did you think I meant?
* this gets 4/5 stars for one reason: it is NOT a full album, it is a maxi single.

Steal This Double Album
Steal This Double Album
Price: $13.99
17 used & new from $3.80

5.0 out of 5 stars This qualifies as my favorite album ever., October 7, 2002
This review is from: Steal This Double Album (Audio CD)
Boots Riley whom I've had the pleasure of meeting and even holding discussions/interviews with on the phone first piqued my intrigue in the early nineties with his first major L.P. release, "Kill my landlord". I was an eccentric teen very well versed for my age in African and African American studies, mad that people didn't like my hair (afro in the Bahamas? it's 100 degrees!!) A video pops up out of nowhere: "Not Yet Free". There was this cat who looked just like me. Not to mention that I was an emcee then (and now) and originally from Cali. I immediately found the CD upon my next travel to the U.S. (which was very difficult. Boots was not on a major label with a ton of money then) and studied the CD intently. He had dropped a very intense thinking man's CD that surpasses the grit and content of even Public Enemy or even his collegues in The Instigators (Dead Prez, whom I DON'T like).
Needless to say, I went on to college, and he dropped a second album also available on this site I'm so happy to say: Genocide and Juice ("How do the levels sound to you?" he asked me when I called his house and it actually was the right number). Boots cares about his fans and will politic with you if he has the time. He often times will. That second album picked up exactly where the first left off, but it was his third album: "Steal This Album" that totally mesmerized me. It came out my first year in Law School. Up to this point, I maintained that I did not understand him fully until AFTER getting a BA in Sociology. Meanwhile this man has not been to college, and likely knows more about sociology than I ever will...
This album moreso than any of the other three is both a textbook and a SLAMMIN' DISC! He does all his own beats along with his partner Pam the Funkstress (his DJ). The Shipment has the classic saying that is on the back of the T-Shirts: "We slang rocks, but Palestinian style!" Which touched me close to my heart because a Bahamian will pick up a rock before he ever will pick up a gun. Also, it speaks to the revolutionary spirit of thought to which he subscribes. "Me and Jesus the Pimp" makes me view him as one of the best "Story Rap" artists ever along with Outkast and Slick Rick and Dana Dane. Granted, the song is long, but it just jams. You can peep his video on certain sites on the net, but never on TV for some reason. It is a heart wrenching story, but not the biggest tear jerker you will hear on the album. More on that in a minute.
Breathing Aparatus is a hilarious rendition about classism in this Caste system we call america. "You know I'm uninsured up in this Beeyiyatch!/My medical plan was to NOT get shot!" and is also an attack at the fiscally driven healthcare system in the United States. It is this song that has the deepest line in it: "Recognize sperm, 'cause your brain is the maternity/Conception through your ear, now my game lasts through eternity" speaking as to the imparting of knowledge. Then we get to "Underdogs"...
Underdogs is the most gut wrenching song I have ever heard. Not even listening to Sade, Nora Jones, and Sarah Mclaughlin could depress someone further. R.E.M.s "Low" couldn't touch it. This song talks about the cyclical function of a capitalist system which REQUIRES a socio-racioeconomic underclass in order to function "properly". He tells the story of this underclass in such poetic form that you have to cry just like the lady at the beginning of the song "I CAN'T TAKE THIS SH*T NO MORE!" You HAVE to get this album. If you read this far in this review, you have to hear the album. The beat on this song alone with the band of snares is reason enough. Not to mention the hilarity of the song "Cars and Shoes" talking about the truth of trying to have a car in the hood with no money and going to car auctions (which this writer knows a lot about from his broke Law School days at 'SC while living down in the LBC...) Hopefully, those days are behind me, and I can help those for whom they are not.
Thanks Boots.

Sankofa [VHS]
Sankofa [VHS]
VHS
Offered by Beloved Buy Books, Film, and Song
Price: $59.75
6 used & new from $26.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Sankofa - Not what people would innitially discuss, July 8, 2001
This review is from: Sankofa [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This movie is my favorite film ever. I saw it as part of a sociology course at Morehouse College a few years back. It is moreso about the miseducation of the so called civilized modern Black. For some reason, we separate ourselves from the slaves of yester-year, when we in fact ARE the slaves from yester year; the scenery is the only thing that has changed. "Shoot, if I was I slave, I'mma telly what I'D do" You'd pick cotton and get beat too. That's what you would do. These were African warriors who were enslaved. This is what this movie shows you: it takes you into the mentalities previously unrevealed by common media that permeated amongst the blacks of that era. It forces the audience to see the modern-day parallels and begs the question:
Just what DID we abolish in 1865??!? It is still here.

Page: 1 | 2