Profile for Claude Call > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 25

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Claude Call "ccradio" RSS Feed (Baltimore, MD USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
On Stage Microphone Table Mount, Black
On Stage Microphone Table Mount, Black
Price: $6.95
4 used & new from $6.95

4.0 out of 5 stars BYO Hardware, July 9, 2015
Does the job as a table mount. If I had any complaints it would be that the mounting screws were kind of short; which was probably the problem with the mount I was replacing.

I was installing this mount to a lectern, so I had plenty of room underneath to play with. So as an alternative to the screws, I picked up some longer bolts with nuts and lockwashers, and also put a couple of large neoprene washers between the mount and the lectern surface to help reduce noise. I drilled a few pilot holes through the lectern (and the washers, which were covering the mount holes), and voila--a mount that's not going to be torn out so easily.

Anker [5-Pack] Premium Micro USB Cables in Assorted Lengths (3ft, 6ft, 1ft) High Speed USB 2.0 A Male to Micro B Sync and Charge Cables (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Staying Connected Got Easier for Me, July 9, 2015
I have an unfortunate habit of misplacing these cables, and/or taking them to work or elsewhere, and then leaving them there, which means I don't have them at home, etc. So it was great to see this assortment at such a reasonable price. They work well and the different lengths come in handy for the different places I've begun to keep them permanently (with a bunch of cables, I don't have to schlep them about anymore!).

Huck Finn: The Manga Edition
Huck Finn: The Manga Edition
by Adam Sexton
Price: $9.99
23 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes for a good educational tool, July 7, 2015
This is a very faithful adaptation of the original book by Mark Twain. All of the character dialogue comes directly from the book, and there are some parts of the book that actually convey BETTER through the graphic novel medium. Naturally, even at close to 200 pages, some cuts have to be made here and there, but the heart of the story really comes through. This is a terrific example of a "high interest/low ability" book for students.

While the description of the book suggests that they don't shy away from the controversial language of the original novel, but that's not quite true in two respects: first, they don't drop the "N"-bomb at all, which is fine because you still know what's up, and second, they take out Twain's vernacular spelling in favor of more conventional spelling (e.g. "Yo' ole father doan' know yit what he's a-gwyne to do" becomes "Your old father don't know yet what he's a-going to do"), in the interest of making the text more accessible to younger or struggling readers. More advanced readers could locate the same passage in the original text and do a compare-and-contrast exercise.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for Prime Pantry, March 8, 2015
My story isn't much different from everyone else's: the cans (I bought two) were packed into one of the outside corners of the box, and both of them had dents in them. When I opened the can I discovered a few intact chips and a lot of shattered ones. I like the Pringle's but they're clearly not meant for Prime Pantry, unless someone comes up with a smarter way to pack them in the boxes. .

Expanding PEG Rack 10 Hooks Hardwood Multi-purpose Vertical or Horizontal Wall Mount (up to 30")
Offered by E Classics
Price: $5.69
9 used & new from $0.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Excellent in its Construction, January 7, 2015
I'm using mine as a mug-holder. The screws that are holding the whole thing together are the same screws that are holding the pegs in place. Consequently one of the screws, which also holds one of the hangers in place, wasn't screwed deeply enough into its peg (because, I later discovered, it was bent) and the whole thing came apart. Once I replaced that screw, it's been doing OK.

Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol
Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol
DVD
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars No Kidding: One of the Best Versions of Dickens' Story, January 7, 2015
It's one of the first televised Christmas specials and, in my opinion (and that of many others), it's up there in the Alastair Sim/Reginald Owen canon of Christmas Carol presentations.

The frame to the whole thing, which isn't strictly necessary, is that the whole thing is being presented as a Broadway play. However, we're only reminded of this at the very beginning, at the ending (the cast takes bows), and when returning from the commercial breaks, when we're given an audience-eye view of the stage. Other than that, don't even bother worrying about how whatever you see is being presented on a stage, because the creators certainly aren't.

This version of "A Christmas Carol" hits all the highlights of the original story, although it kind of cuts the Ghost of Christmas Present a little short, in order to spend more time with Scrooge's past But in my head, this gives the viewer a better look at the forces that shaped the present-day Scrooge and allows him to see the places where he's made poor choices in life, something we lose in the Reginald Owen version. We also lose the entire subplot involving Scrooge's nephew Fred.

A scene that appeared in the original, but has been cut in the intervening years, involves Magoo being brought to a country home that turns out to be the home of a now-older Belle and the family she made after leaving Scrooge. This scene does NOT appear in this edition.

Given these changes--and a couple of other, minor ones--to the story, it's still remarkably faithful to Dickens' original story and dialogue, and isn't dumbed-down for the presumably younger audience that would have been watching this.

Canon Lasers imageCLASS D530 Monochrome Printer with Scanner and Copier
Canon Lasers imageCLASS D530 Monochrome Printer with Scanner and Copier
Price: Click here to see our price
108 used & new from $75.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Light-Duty Printer/Scanner for Home or Small Office, January 7, 2015
I bought this unit for convenience at work because once in awhile you just want to bang out a couple of pages without having to walk to the printer way across the room and deal with the attendant interruptions. It's quickly turning into an indispensable machine that I've even taken to using for larger jobs (30-40 pages). The main tray holds about 250 pages, and I usually keep the multipurpose tray, which is really just a single-sheet guide slot) adjusted for envelopes. The pain about the multipurpose tray is that you have to open the whole front to get to it, but that's not a big deal in the long run.

This printer handles two-sided documents easily and quickly, and allows you to scan/copy single-sided originals into two-sided documents. It can also do 2-on-1 and 4-on-1 copies, although I haven't tried that yet. The printer has a standby mode to save energy, but if you send a document to it, it wakes up quickly.

The Downsides: unless I missed something, it doesn't give you a lot of warning about remaining toner life. The other issue I had was that it wasn't great about taking envelopes. Many times I had to put a little pressure on the envelope until the wheels finally managed to grab it. And despite the guides, they didn't always print straight (they usually did, but not always). Likewise with printed labels, while those usually fed through OK, they didn't always align quite right. So if you're dealing mostly with regular document print and copy jobs, this is a nice, inexpensive alternative.

One more thing: if you use this at a workplace that has an IT office and attendant policies, you may have some difficulty installing it because of a security issue. I had no problem using it with some machines, and with others I couldn't get the install done. (And, of course, IT at my workplace wasn't going to support something I'd purchased, so I was out of luck with them.)

(This review updated 3/19/15 to add the envelope and IT information.)

OXO Good Grips Large Silicone Drying Mat
OXO Good Grips Large Silicone Drying Mat
Price: $14.99
12 used & new from $13.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets it done, January 7, 2015
I have a dishwasher, so I use this guy when I just have a couple of dishes to do and the machine isn't nearly full enough, or when I'm washing stuff that isn't dishwasher-safe.

It does a very good job of giving your stuff a chance to drip-dry without having to commit to a whole rack-and-board setup, but what surprised me is how long it takes for the mat itself to dry out. More often than not, several hours later I'm lifting it up and dumping it into the sink, then draping it over the faucet to finish drying. I've also noticed that water tends to get underneath it and stay there until you remove it from the countertop and wipe everything down. If you keep these couple of details in mind, you'll be a pretty happy camper.

OXO Good Grips 2-Cup Fat Separator
OXO Good Grips 2-Cup Fat Separator
Offered by WineStuff
Price: $13.84
14 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars It's ordinarily tough to get excited about stuff like this, but this separator is a huge step ..., January 7, 2015
It's ordinarily tough to get excited about stuff like this, but this separator is a huge step above the one I had previously. The one I had before this was a cheaper, harder plastic that developed hundreds of micro-cracks all over it during the course of maybe two years (and what, a half-dozen uses?).

I purchased the two-cup version and I'm loving it. When I roast a turkey, I like to drape it with bacon. This means that there's a HUGE amount of fat in the pan when the turkey is done. The strainer top keeps most of the congealed stuff out of your drippings. I don't know about the top preventing overflows (as it says in the product description), but I have to admit that I originally thought it was completely pointless. Then I used it. It caught all kinds of gunk that you barely suspect is even there. The stopper for the spout was another thing I was pretty much "Yeah, whatever" about until I put it into use. It keeps nearly all the oil out of the spout. This all adds up to a smoother gravy that doesn't need nearly as much thickener as you'd ordinarily use. Highly recommended.

BELKIN F3U134VFLEX Flexible USB Cable Adapter
BELKIN F3U134VFLEX Flexible USB Cable Adapter
2 used & new from $5.55

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked Great While It Lasted, February 26, 2014
Too bad it didn't last.

I purchased one on January 31. It fell apart after about two days. I returned it for exchange; hey, stuff happens, right? This time it lasted for about three weeks before also coming apart. Others have described how it's coming apart (at the Belkin end, little balls falling out, etc.) and my experience was exactly the same. This was a grave disappointment and I don't know if anyone else makes a comparable unit. I may have to go back to using an extension cable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3