Profile for pirateking24601 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

pirateking24601 RSS Feed (TX)

Page: 1 | 2
Good Smile Metroid: Other M Samus Aran Figma Action Figure
Good Smile Metroid: Other M Samus Aran Figma Action Figure
Offered by Schomberg & Son Books
Price: $47.08
160 used & new from $39.99

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE OF FAKES, March 19, 2015
There seem to be a lot of bootlegs of this item that are being distributed as authentic. The telltale sign is the Official Nintendo Seal. The seal on the item that I received was clearly a poorly cut decal that was slapped on the box. If the seal appears in the center of a white square, and contains "TM&© 2014 Nintendo" it is likely that the item is not authentic. Look for a seal that looks exactly like the ones shown on the Nintendo website.

I returned this item and bought an authentic one on eBay for roughly the same price. The authentic product will have the official seal and the packaging will have a noticeably glossy feel.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Price: $11.88
32 used & new from $3.91

3.0 out of 5 stars A Decent, Though Slightly Disappointing Addition, June 8, 2011
At first I was slightly disappointed with the latest Pirates score from Mr. Zimmer, but after a few listens, it has begun to grow on me more and more. It is a decent score (for a Pirates movie anyway) and has several new and strong moments. The addition of the guitar duo, Roderigo y Gabriella, is a bold and interesting move, as 4 out of the 11 score tracks feature the duo prominently, if not solely. What really hurts this score is its overall lack of originality. What few score tracks are included on the album feature only a handful of original cues and themes. In fact, the only two notable new themes in the score seem to be Blackbeard's theme, a heavy, pulsing cue, and the Mermaid theme which is little more than an expansion on an older theme from the Pirates series. While these themes are good, they leave me wanting a whole lot more that just isn't there. The majority of the new material either rehashes older themes, or feels generic and meaningless. Dead Man's Chest and especially At World's End were heavily theme driven scores, and I find it very disappointing that On Stranger Tides is not. Also, if including three virtually useless remixes on the Dead Man's Chest album wasn't bad enough, Walt Disney Records has cluttered this album with seven new and equally useless remixes. I don't see the need to comment on these tracks except to point out that they are nothing but fluff and filler.

When it comes to On Stranger Tides, what is included is good and very typical of a Pirates score, but it feels altogether empty and incomplete. If you're a Pirates fan who simply cannot get enough, you may enjoy this soundtrack. But if you were hoping for a new and worthy addition to your Pirates collection, you may wind up disappointed.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Music from the Motion Pictures Arranged for Solo Piano
by Howard Shore
53 used & new from $11.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Best LOTR Piano Book Available, June 3, 2010
I have been wanting to get my hands on this music for a while now, and this is the best book available. Although I would have liked the book to be more complete (there are several notable omissions from the full score), what the book does include is extraordinary.

It is essentially all of the previous three volumes of the LOTR solo piano books stuffed in to one epic book plus the added arrangements of "Concerning Hobbits" and "The Black Rider". The arrangement for "Aniron (Theme for Aragorn and Arwen)" by Enya is not included.

Songs Included Are:

ISENGARD UNLEASHED
GOLLUM'S SONG

from The Return of the King:
MINAS TIRITH
THE STEWARD OF GONDOR (Including "THE EDGE OF NIGHT")
TWILIGHT AND SHADOW
THE END OF ALL THINGS
THE RETURN OF THE KING
INTO THE WEST

The arrangements are good and true to the originals and are intended for intermediate to advanced pianists. Of the songs included, they are complete and unabridged-- direct copies of the originals. Although it does not specify in the product description, a little less than half of the songs have chords notated above the melody line. The book itself is very nice and it stuffed with brilliant full color photos from all three films-- although as to what practical purpose they actually serve, I can only guess-- but they are nice to look at. I would have liked the book to include more songs from the films, but until a more complete edition is released (if ever), this book does satisfy. I highly recommend this book to fellow pianists who are fans of the LOTR Trilogy Music.

Lord of the Rings - Original London Cast Recording with Bonus DVD
Lord of the Rings - Original London Cast Recording with Bonus DVD
Offered by skyvo-direct-usa
Price: $20.47
29 used & new from $11.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Expected, May 23, 2010
When I first heard that they were conceiving The Lord of the Rings into a musical, like most fans, I was skeptical to say the least. A few years later, I learned that not only had they successfully turned it to a musical, but that it had a very successful run and generally positive reviews from critics, fans, and general audiences alike. After previewing one of the tracks (Lothlorien) I decided that the show was worth a listen.

Although this production is a highly trimmed rendering of LOTR, the music is decent, and the production is enjoyable. I was surprised that even with the largely successful blockbuster films by Peter Jackson, this conception of the story remains widely original, yet true to it's source material. As for the songs themselves, most are generic and forgettable. However, there are a few select tracks that I find particularly enjoyable, including "The Cat and Moon", "Lothlorien", and "Now and For Always". I don't find the rest of the music to be particularly bad however, just not particularly good either.

All in all, I do enjoy this production. I enjoy the fresh take on the series, and the music, while though not particularly inspired, is still enjoyable.

Next to Normal (Original Broadway Cast)
Next to Normal (Original Broadway Cast)
Price: $16.99
44 used & new from $13.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking Production, May 23, 2010
Next to Normal is a breath of fresh air on the Broadway stage. Very rarely does a show this fantastic come along. I was fortunate enough to see this production live on stage with most of the original cast, and the experience was breath taking. This cast recording is just as phenomenal. Each member of the ensemble gives an outstanding and highly emotional performance, particularly Aaron Tveit and J. Robert Spencer as Gabe and Dan respectively.

I bought this recording with almost no knowledge of the production, except that it had won the Tony Award for Best Score. After enjoying the Tony awards performance, I thought I would give it a listen. I did not expect this to become one of my all time favorite shows. This musical works on every level. The characters are realistic and believable, the performances are gut wrenching and emotional, and the score is brilliant--absolutely inspired. While there is not a single song in the show that I dislike, or that lacks energy or emotion, some highlights include Just Another Day, He's Not Here, I Am The One, I'm Alive, Light in the Dark, How Could I Ever Forget, and I Am The One (Reprise). All in all, this is a brilliant new musical. I highly recommend this recording to any fan of theatre. Also, if you enjoy it, be sure to see it live if you ever get the chance.

Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway
Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway
DVD ~ Will Chase
Price: $9.81
65 used & new from $4.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Production - Excellent Quality, May 23, 2010
I was never fortunate enough to see RENT performed live on stage--I had only the soundtrack and the 2005 movie to go off of. After seeing this performance, my perspective on the show changed entirely. The performances are inspired, and the quality of the recording is remarkable. I was particularly impressed with the taping itself. The editors utilize cameras scattered all throughout the theatre--including cranes, handhelds, and some onstage cameras. Brilliant direction and editing from the film crew ensure that you never miss a beat. Now that the show has closed, this DVD is as close to a front row seat to RENT as you will ever get. It is well worth the price.

Jersey Boys - Vocal Selections
Jersey Boys - Vocal Selections
by The Four Seasons
Price: $14.65
42 used & new from $9.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Not "Jersey Boys" Arrangements, May 23, 2010
This is a fairly good Vocal Selection book. Most of the songs from the show are included (everything sung in the "Scrapbook" segment is left out), but other than that, it is complete. My one complaint is that all of the arrangements are for the original versions of the songs (including original key signatures) and in that way, this book does not accurately reflect the music from the show. Another concern is that "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" is written a half-step lower than it is performed (both by Franki Valli and the cast of Jersey Boys) which I can imagine would be frustrating for both musicians and soloists. This book also contains no background vocals. I still play it all the time and I enjoy the music of the Four Seasons very much, but I wish that this could be the actual "Jersey Boys" arrangements.

Ultimate Movie Music Collection
Ultimate Movie Music Collection
13 used & new from $59.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Collection, March 27, 2010
The aptly named Ultimate Movie Music Collection does not disappoint in the least. As a film score and movie soundtrack purist, I am always skeptical about any CD with film scores that have been re-orchestrated, and re-recorded by a pops orchestra. More often than not, renditions of scores tend to lack the emotion and impact of the original and are vastly inferior. I can confidently say that this is not the case here. Eric Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops do a phenomenal job of recreating everything that made you love the original score. In fact, with many of these recordings I can not tell them apart from the original; and some-- I dare say-- are even better than the original.

Probably the best thing about this CD collection is it's wide range. It covers decades of movies and hits all the right points. From classics like "Casablanca" and "Gone with the Wind", to block busters like "Titanic", "Jaws", "Lord of the Rings", and "Star Wars", to an outstanding orchestral rendition of "When You Believe" from "The Prince of Egypt", to the haunting melodies from "Ghost" and "Poltergeist", there is not a single track on this four-disc collection that I don't absolutely love. The interpretations of the John Williams works are particularly well done. So whether you are looking for an outstanding film compilation, looking to expand your taste in film music, or just love movies, this collection is for you.

Sweeney Todd Razor with Pouch Prop Replica
Sweeney Todd Razor with Pouch Prop Replica
Offered by Entertainment Earth
Price: $32.99
2 used & new from $32.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Mine was NOT a Toy., December 31, 2008
I ordered from a merchant (heartland-great-deals). It sold for a fantastic price, and arrived very fast in brand new condition as described, but what I opened was a very real razor (meaning it is sharpened. It is about as sharp as a good pocket knife). It is a stainless "surgical steel" blade and a handle that is identical to the one used in the movie. As cool as this is, buyer should be aware that they may not be buying a toy or a harmless prop. It could be that different merchants are selling different things (mine didn't come with the red velvet bag seen in the picture, for example, but in a cardboard knife box), but all the same I still got a real razor. Not really what I expected, but I love it. It makes a great collector's piece.

Beauty & Beast / L.C.R.
Beauty & Beast / L.C.R.
2 used & new from $49.98

5.0 out of 5 stars London Cast is SUPERIOR, December 28, 2008
This review is from: Beauty & Beast / L.C.R. (Audio CD)
It is true, the London West End Recording is far superior the the Broadway Cast Album. I bought this mainly as a collector's item and did not even consider that this would become my favorite recording. The entire cast does an awesome job, plus they all have British accents which is always fun. The Orchestra is huge and it sounds spectacular. The score is my favorite part of the whole show and this orchestra has a full and sweeping sound that blows you out of your seat. Some of the major differences are "Gaston" includes the complete dance break (with "cup clink" sounds), "Be Our Guest" also includes the entire dance sequence (clocking in at a solid 8 minutes), "If I Can't Love Her" is in a new, higher key (It now starts in D major and ends in G Major), "Maison des Lunes" is re-written with a third verse and alternate ending, and "Transformation" includes the "Aahs" as the Beast is transforming (unheard in other recordings!). But one of the BEST parts? No more Terrance Mann!

All in all, this was a fantastic find. If you love Beauty and the Beast, but you are looking for a little bit more, the London Cast Recording will not disappoint. BUY IT!

Page: 1 | 2