Profile for Linda Linguvic > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 645

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Linda Linguvic RSS Feed (New York City)
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Blood on the Tracks (Kindle Single)
Blood on the Tracks (Kindle Single)
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A piece of histry brought to life, November 21, 2013
This book is a snapshot of history and a fast and fine read. I ordered it because I wanted to know about this incident and I wasn't disappointed. The author made it come alive.

Kingsize Men's Big & Tall Terry Bathrobe With Pockets
Kingsize Men's Big & Tall Terry Bathrobe With Pockets
Offered by KingSize
Price: $117.44 - $138.68

5.0 out of 5 stars The color is really nice and so is the fit, November 21, 2013
This robe has a generous cut and the color is deep. It also has a nice heavy fabric. I gave this as a gift and it was very well received. It is exactly what was wanted.

And the Mountains Echoed
And the Mountains Echoed
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Real chatacters and fascinating history -- I loved this book!, July 4, 2013
I was delighted when this book was published because I had really enjoyed this author's two previous books, "The Kite Runner" and "A Thousand Splendid Suns". Like the others, this book is set in Afghanistan. And, like the others the characters are real and memorable and the history is fascinating.

The book starts early in the 20th Century with the story of a brother and sister living in heart-rendering poverty. Circumstances tear them apart and it is not until they reach old age that there is a bittersweet reconciliation. Through the years there have been upheavals, wars, and love affairs. There's a lifetime of history, seen through the eyes of the people and the politicians and the various rebel and modern forces that have changed Afghanistan forever.

The author has a good sense of his characters and the challenges they face. I felt I knew them all personally and I certainly did come away with quite a bit more knowledge about Afghanistan and its people.

It's a fine story, worth telling. I couldn't take my eyes from my Kindle.

The Longest Road: Overland in Search of America, from Key West to the Arctic Ocean
by Philip Caputo
Price: $20.20
116 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I reallly LOVED this book!, June 27, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a trip that I've yearned take all my life. It's not going to happen but this book is the next best thing. Also, I've been a Philip Caputo fan since I read "A Rumor of War"n the 1970s. He is of my generation and our cohort group shares a unique view of the world. I totally identify with his yearning to do this trip. And I was there for every little bump in the road as he rediscovers this wonderful country of ours. Hooray for him! I know the book will be a great success -- and not JUST for his generation!

The Golem and the Jinni (P.S.)
The Golem and the Jinni (P.S.)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written but a very silly story and I just didn't get it!, June 13, 2013
This is a new book that won accolades from the New York Times and from Amazon reviewers. It was also highly recommended to me by a person whose taste in books I trust. The theme is rather unique although I usually don't like books that are mystical in nature and move away from reality. So I gave it a try. I've had the book on my Kindle for several weeks now and have only read about a quarter of it. I keep picking it up and telling myself I really should like it but I read for pleasure and reading this was becoming a chore.

Basically, this is a book about a mythical creature who emigrates from Europe to New York City in the form of a Jewish immigrant woman.

Frankly, I just didn't get it and even though it is well written I dreaded picking up my Kindle and continuing this very silly story. After reading about a quarter of the book I gave up. Life is just too short to spend time on a book that I hate even though it might have appeal for others.

I give this book a modest recommendation. It is well written and has a unique and interesting theme. I also thank my friend for recommending it. But it is just not for me.

The Transit of Venus
The Transit of Venus
by Shirley Hazzard
Price: $12.00
284 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Just a little too dense and boring for my taste, June 4, 2013
This review is from: The Transit of Venus (Paperback)
This 1990 book by Australian author Shirley Hazzard was the choice of my international book club at my local bookstore Unfortunately I was not able to attend and so I missed the discussion but I'm sure that my voice would have been unique because even though it was well written and considered a classic, I found the book tedious and could not relate to the characters.

The story is about two Australian sisters from their childhoods during WWII right up to the present. I did get a feeling of what it was like to live in Australia but the two sisters just didn't come across to me as people I could relate to. Their lives were very sad and I found it hard to read. But this sadness was basically because of their rather pathetic relations with men Through the years they had many relationships but not one of them really gave them pleasure.

It was interesting to read the snapshot of the political landscape and conflicts between British and Australian ways of life but the two sisters made so many mistakes with their romances that I just couldn't feel any sympathy for them. I found it all tedious reading but I will not give it a very high rating even though the author is obviously talented.

A Dead Hand: A Crime in Calcutta
A Dead Hand: A Crime in Calcutta
by Paul Theroux
Price: $5.98
47 used & new from $1.00

3.0 out of 5 stars An exotic setting and fine descriptions do not make this a believable story, May 23, 2013
In his long career Paul Theroux has written more than sixty books, both fiction and non-fiction. I have been mostly acquainted with his nonfiction which always includes his travel experiences to unique and exotic places of the world. "A Dead Hand" however, is a non-fiction book and although its background is in India and the author is well acquainted with the area, I must say that all of his non-fiction books stand head and shoulders above this small novel.

The parts of the book describing the area were great. I felt I knew the place and I certainly did learn a lot about its terrain and its climate.

Sadly though, the story just didn't seem real. Written as a first-person tale, it is about a writer who is smitten by a wealthy American woman whose life is so complex as to not be believed. The writer gets caught up in the romance but soon finds out that not is all as it seems and his relationship with this woman goes through many changes. This romance and subsequent drama didn't make sense to me and in spite of the exotic setting and a fine use of words to describe time and place, I am planning on sticking to this writer's fiction in the future.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2013 7:35 PM PDT

The Dark Road: A Novel
The Dark Road: A Novel
by Jian Ma
Price: $19.89
80 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern China at its most horrific, May 13, 2013
This review is from: The Dark Road: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The horrors of modern China with its "one child" policy and endemic corruption make this book a compelling read. This is the story of Melei, a young peasant woman, her husband and child. Forced to abandon their home because the "one child" policy means she has to abort her second child, the reader senses her pain and terror as she watches a child who was born alive be murdered by the doctors.

This family goes through a long list of horrors as they lose their home and are forced to live on a boat. Pollution and corruption are everywhere and their life is one big struggle. Through the years the misfortunes continue, their marriage is strained, the government policies unbelievably cruel. They do survive however and through the years manage to improve their condition somewhat.

The story is compelling and has a touch of magic realism to it. The characters are developed with excruciating detail and I was thrust into their lives, wincing at its revolting descriptions on every page.

This is their story. But is also the story of China itself. I easily identified with Melei and winced a lot at the horror of her life. It sure made me feel fortunate to be born in America..

The Driver's Seat (New Directions Bibelot)
The Driver's Seat (New Directions Bibelot)
by Muriel Spark
40 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a classic. But I hated every word of it., May 7, 2013
This book was the selection of the reading group at my local bookstore. As always, the book selected is one that I would never have chosen on my own and which literary type people love. I was unique in the group because I really hated this book even though I can recognize that it is a classic and that is was well written.

First of all the main character is completely unlikable. She's an office worker who is going on a holiday but from the beginning the reader knows that something is wrong. We see that she is definitely a little mental as she shops for an outfit that she tells the salesgirl she wants to stain easily. Then, as she makes preparations to leave the reader gets the feeling that she is not planning on coming back.

She gets into a weird relationship with a man she meets on the plane, an elderly woman she meets in a shop and most of her actions make the reader know she is definitely mentally unbalanced as she goes about her vacation in this unnamed destination.

It's a good thing the book is short because it is an unpleasant read and quite disorienting. The tension never stops and the characters are all unlikable. I guess it's a statement on unpredictability and free will but I just didn't get it.

This 1970 book is somehow considered a classic. This is probably because it is so unique and weird. I can definably see the talent and creativity of the author and I think it's a good idea for me to read a wide variety of books.. However, I really did hate every word of it.

The Blood of Heaven
The Blood of Heaven
by Kent Wascom
Price: $15.15
118 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Too brutal for my taste but the writer is definately talented, May 6, 2013
This review is from: The Blood of Heaven (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This new author has a fresh harsh voice and a unique viewpoint of the American frontier, slavery and an old time brutal religion. As a matter of a fact, everything in this book is brutal and there is something to wince at on every page. This is the story of the coming of age of a preacher's son, his criminality and his slave dealing. The book is fast paced and explicit and there is something to wince at on every page. I know that some of it is supposed to be comical but as far as my taste goes, the author stretches it too far. I was frankly disgusted by this book but I forced myself to read about half of it before I abandoned it. Life is just too short for me to spend time with a book that I hated.

That said, I can recognize the talent of this young author and I expect to hear more about him in the coming years. His perspective on the world made me wince and I do not plan on reading anything else by him but I do recognize his talent. Definitely do check this book out if you are interested. Just be forewarned.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2014 3:47 PM PDT