Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Profile for Timothy B. Riley > Reviews

Browse

Timothy B. Riley's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1174
Top Reviewer Ranking: 61

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Timothy B. Riley RSS Feed
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Critical Cycles Chatham Beach Cruiser Women's 26" Single-Speed, Turquoise
Critical Cycles Chatham Beach Cruiser Women's 26" Single-Speed, Turquoise
Price: $179.99
2 used & new from $147.41

5.0 out of 5 stars A bike that brings back many pleasant memories, May 15, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have owned many bikes over the years and have found that not one bicycle meets every need. While a multi-speed-speed bike is great for going up hills or for making good time on flat surfaces, there is something to be said for a simple, nontechnical, ride. This bike brings me back to my childhood memories of pedaling fast and not worrying about anything else in the world at that time.

Although I am a guy, I have several women (I have 3 daughters and other friends) who visit me and this bike gives us something else to do here in San Antonio. This type of bike is best for flat areas, especially for us older folk. Beaches are great if you live near one. There are other flat areas that welcome bikers, such as bike trails, rails to trails conversion area, etc. Here in San Antonio we have the River Walk which has recently extended to areas that are wide enough to accommodate both walkers and bike riders.

The bike was fairly easy to assemble even though I could not find any instructions included in the box. The Beach Cruiser is very attractive and I think that it is a very good value for the price.

Tovolo Sphere Clear Ice System
Tovolo Sphere Clear Ice System
Price: $20.12
4 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great and simple way to use the "directional freezing method" for clear ice spheres, May 14, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is not my first spherical ice mold but it is my favorite. It has always bothered me that they come out cloudy, it just ruined the beauty of a round ice sphere. Not only does clear ice look better but it also melts slower because there are no tiny bubbles of air in them. I have tried several methods that were supposed to make the ice clear (distilled water, freshly boiled water, etc.) but none of them seemed to work very well.

The Tovolo uses a process called "directional freezing". Ice cubes (or spheres) freeze from the outside in leaving impurities in center of the cube. Directional freezing uses an insulator to force the water the freeze from the top down. This leaves the top sphere clear and the bottom one cloudy. It takes me over 24 hours to freeze both of the cubes. You don't want your freezer on it's coldest setting as that will cause the water to freeze too fast which can cause some cloudiness or cracking.

I had no problem using the Tovolo and had a perfectly clear sphere from the first time that I used it. It would be nice if they had a larger one that could make 4 times as many in one operation but I suppose that I will just buy more of these.

Canon PR100-R Wireless Presentation Pointer, Red Laser, White
Canon PR100-R Wireless Presentation Pointer, Red Laser, White
Price: $59.99
5 used & new from $55.00

4.0 out of 5 stars The timer makes this controller a winner, May 7, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been a professional speaker and presenter for many years. I started using PowerPoint in about 1998 or '99, I believe. Since then I have in search of the perfect remote controller for my presentations, This is not it but it is close.

The Canon PR 100-R is pretty intuitive and easy to use. The timer made it necessary for me to refer to the instruction book, but other than that I had no problem figuring out how it functioned. The "slide forward" and "slide return" keys are the most important to me and they are well placed and easily accessed. I seldom use a laser pointer. I find them to be distracting and unnecessary for my needs, however, if I was explaining something scientific or math based I could see how it would come in handy.

If I had a choice I would have chosen the black option instead of the white, as it is less noticeable. Also,the size of the Canon remote is much larger than the ones the I am used to. Still, this is an improvement over previous models and I will use it until something better comes along.

Casablanca Fan Company 59197 Correne Indoor Ceiling Fan with Remote, Medium, Brushed Nickel
Offered by ShoppersLighting
Price: $399.00
8 used & new from $399.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful fan that should last for years, May 1, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is not my first Casablanca fan but it is my favorite. The fan is well made and looks as though it will last a very long time. I am not very handy so I paid a friend to assemble it for me. It didn't take him even 30 minutes before he had it all put together and installed. I really like the look of this fan and the remote control in a nice feature. I am planning on enjoy this fan for many years. I will update this post if my opinion of it changes.

WUJU Hot Sauce - Extra Hot
WUJU Hot Sauce - Extra Hot
Price: $12.99
2 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Do do that Wuju that you do so well..., April 29, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Finally! A hot sauce with a decent amount of curry flavors blended in. I have tried many, many, hot sauces, well over 200, and this one is the sauce that I would make for myself, well almost. It is a little sweet for my taste but the curry, cumin and habanero balance that out somewhat.

On a scale of 1-10 I would put the heat level at a 6, maybe even a 5.5. However,,, the flavor is a 10+. I am using it on rice (I eat a LOT of rice), corn, meat, you name it. This is my new favorite hot sauce and I will be buying more even before this bottle is empty.

Ganewry Full HD 1080p Wireless Gym Video Camera Recorder (AC1, Black)
Ganewry Full HD 1080p Wireless Gym Video Camera Recorder (AC1, Black)
Offered by Global Sell 7
Price: $69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Where were these when I was young?, April 24, 2016
When I was in my 20's and 30's I engaged in a lot of sports and activities that this camera would have been perfect for: skydiving, bungee jumping, martial arts, etc. Since I will be turning 60 this year I am not quite the thrill seeker that I once was. However, I still try to keep busy and having this little camera has been a lot of fun.

I had been thinking about purchasing a GoPro but is was more money than I could justify for something that I might not use that often. When I got a chance to receive the Ganewry I jumped at it.

Using this camera cannot be any more straightforward or easier than it is. The learning curve is about 2 minutes. Attaching it was a breeze and I was off and recording right away. I especially like the magnetic mount that is built into the camera's housing. You can't really see what the camera is seeing until you are done and download the file for viewing. However, since the angle of view is so great that really wasn't a problem for me. I hooked it to my biking helmet and went down a steep hill as fast as I could. The resulting video made me look like a real pro (which I definitely am not).

I then loaned it to a friend's skateboarding son. At first he attached it to his helmet using the included sticky mount. That was okay but later he attached it directly to the nose of the skateboard and that resulted in a truly thrilling angle of view that got him in trouble with his mother when she saw him weaving down the street.

I really like this little camera and will think up different ways to use it. The quality of the video files make it look like you spent far more that you did. I received the product at a discount for reviewing purposes.

DII Kitchen Millennium 4-Piece Heat Resistant Seamless Non Stick Dishwasher Safe BPA Free Silicone DII Kitchen Tool Set, Purple
Price: $20.99
3 used & new from $15.57

4.0 out of 5 stars A quality set but a little narrow for my needs, April 24, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I cook with a variety of cookware: steel, copper, anodized, non stick, etc. I also have a variety of spoons, cooking forks and spatulas that work best with each type of pan or skillet. I do have a few pieces of silicon accessories and when I got the chance to receive this set I was eager to try them out.

I like that the DII set has a metal skeleton under the silicon. I also really like the fact that they are 100% BPA free. In fact, the only thing that I don't like about them is that they are too narrow for most of my needs. The spatula is not even as wide as a single sunny-side up egg. Other than that they are a well made set and a pleasure to use.

R&R Lotion IBR-4  Lotion, Industrial Insect Repellent "Deet-Free" with Active Ingredient IR3535,  Odorless,  4oz. Bottle
R&R Lotion IBR-4 Lotion, Industrial Insect Repellent "Deet-Free" with Active Ingredient IR3535, Odorless, 4oz. Bottle
Offered by R&R Lotion
Price: $8.75

5.0 out of 5 stars So much nicer to use that DEET products, April 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a slight allergy to DEET but I also react very badly to chigger bites. I often go birdwatching some chigger-infested woods and have to use DEET as it was the thing that seemed to work. I can't stand the smell or the feel of DEET, especially when applied to my face, but it's either that or get blistering sores from the chigger bites.

When I got a chance to try this product I was hopeful. Mosquitoes are already biting here in South Texas so that is what I used to test the effectiveness of the R&R. The lotion was non-greasy and only had a very faint odor. I made sure to cover my skin completely and waited to see if it worked. I felt a little silly sitting outside in the dark, waiting for the skeeters. I saw and felt several of them land on my arm but after a hour and a half I did not get one bite. I will have many opportunities to test the R&R's ability to protect me against other biting bugs including chiggers this summer. I will update this review in a few months and let you know if it is all that I hope it to be.

weBoost EQO Cell Phone Signal Booster for Home, Apartment or Condo, up to 1200 sq ft
Price: $349.99
15 used & new from $250.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This one works for me, April 21, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Cell phone boosters, like this one, seem to have a hit or miss success rate. Either they work well or they don't work at all. I was getting a weak signal in my house so I thought that I would give the weBoost a shot. At first I did not see any improvement, then I moved the receiver to another window on the opposite side of the room and BOOM, from 1bar to 4. I can't say that it will work for everyone, but it sure works for me.

Gskyer 25-75x75 Waterproof Straight Spotting Scope with Tripod
Gskyer 25-75x75 Waterproof Straight Spotting Scope with Tripod

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent scope for the price, April 19, 2016
Length:: 9:47 Mins

I have been an active birdwatcher for over 3 decades and I sold professional cameras wholesale for over 20 years so I take my binoculars and my spotting scopes seriously. When I got the opportunity to receive this scope I was more than a little dubious. I mean, how good can a $85 spotting scope be? The answer is: pretty darn good.

It arrived with a cleaning cloth, a nylon case and a table-top tripod. I didn't really expect to get anything in the box other than the scope. I have my own spotting scope bag and a table top tripod is not too useful when birdwatching in the field. However, I thought that it was a nice gesture that they were included (when you buy a $3000 spotting scope you usually don't get anything included for free). Since they were a bonus I did not consider them when I was evaluating the scope.

As you see in my video review of this item, it is a very nice looking spotting scope. It will certainly do job that one would expect a spotting scope to do. The focusing knob and the zoom eyepiece had a solid and precision feel to them. The optics were surprisingly sharp, especially when you consider that whole scope costs less than a replacement lens cap for my German-made spotting scope. This scope uses a porro-prism instead the roof-prism that I am accustomed to on a spotting scope but then again, one of my favorite pair of binoculars uses a set of porro-prisms.

The Gskyer is fairly light (less than 3 lbs) and that probably has to do with the lack of a metal chassis but it does look like it will stand up to moderate abuse in the field. My only suggestion to the manufacturer would be to make the base plate a little larger so it makes better contact with the tripod head. That should help to eliminate the minor shaking that I noticed while changing the eyepiece magnification.

All in all this is a great product for someone's first spotting scope. I have not had the chance to use it for astronomy as it has been cloudy here all week, but as soon as it clears up at night I will give that a try with the Gskyer. His is a link to the scope bag that I showed in my video: Lowepro LP36359 Scope Travel 200 AW Travel and Field Photo/Optics Backpack - Dark Olive

I received a free sample of this product for reviewing purposes.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2016 11:03 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20