Profile for Timothy B. Riley > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 19657

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Timothy B. Riley RSS Feed (San Antonio, TX USA)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
TomTom GO 60 Portable Vehicle GPS
TomTom GO 60 Portable Vehicle GPS
Price: $135.15
9 used & new from $125.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad entry level GPS, July 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have owning over a dozen GPS units over the years. I have owned fancy ones, basic ones as well as specialty models designed for geocaching and hiking. I have owned a few that were not worth having. This is not, in my opinion, one of them. It is, however, a basic model and should not be compared to top-of-the-line units.

The first thing that one notices is the size of the display. This is helpful for those of us with aging eyes as well as owners of RVs or truck drivers who have to place their GPS receivers far away than optimum. You need to tap it harder than you do the higher priced models but I can deal with that. The quality of display is not a sharp as some but I wouldn't expect it to be at this price. This is not one of those GPSs that you can slip into your shirt pocket and forget that it is there. This is fairly fat GPS compared to others on the market (however, much thinner than older models that I have owned and used in the past).

As far as the intuitive nature of the unit, I give it a C. I can do what I what with it but it takes a little thought to get there. When it comes to features and ease of use I also give it a C. The traffic feature, however, is really nice. I purposely drove through congested areas, places that I knew were under construction or where there was an accident and the Go 60 gave me some very nice rerouting to get me to where I was going as quickly as possible.

All in all, this is a decent GPS and I think that it would be fine for certain people but I am used to higher end Garmins and prefer them over this model. Also, even though it has an over-sized screen, I think that this should be in the sub-$100 category.

Francois et Mimi Large Stainless Steel Double Wall French Coffee Press,50oz
Francois et Mimi Large Stainless Steel Double Wall French Coffee Press,50oz
Offered by Luzy's Storage Place
Price: $54.95
9 used & new from $46.67

5.0 out of 5 stars A French Press that is made just the way that I like my coffee, big and bold!, July 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The best cup of coffee that I have ever had was in a luxury hotel near Mount Fuji, Japan. I was in the lobby and ordered a cup to drink while I was waiting for a client. The young, tuxedo clad waiter laid a pillow by my table, knelt on it and made the best cup that I ever had ever tasted right in front of me using an elegant French Press.

This was over twenty years ago and I have owned one ever since then. Most of them have held about 16-20 ounces so if I was entertaining I had to make a couple of pots. Also, since they were made out of glass they eventually were broken. When I got the opportunity to get this large French Press I jumped at it. I couldn't be happier with it.

I read someone here complaining about the quality of stainless steel on this product, he/she must have received a bad copy as mine was perfect. No blemishes, pits or discoloration. It is well made and keeps my coffee at the right drinking temperature for over an hour. I am very happy with my Francois et Mimi press and would buy another if I ever needed to.

Pinemeadow Golf Site 2 Putter, Right Hand, 34-Inch
Pinemeadow Golf Site 2 Putter, Right Hand, 34-Inch
Price: $39.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners but I would look for something else, July 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have several high-end putters but I wanted to see how accurate a lower-end putter could be. This is a nice, fairly well balanced putter that would be good for someone who is a beginner or someone who is wanting an upgrade from their older set. It had a surprisingly good feel to it but I found it to be harder to control than some other models in this price range. I would look for something that costs just a little more but has higher average reviews.

Contigo AUTOSEAL Pitcher Set with Infuser Stick and Ice Core, 72-Ounce
Contigo AUTOSEAL Pitcher Set with Infuser Stick and Ice Core, 72-Ounce
Price: $24.28
8 used & new from $20.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for both healthy and not-so healthy drinks, July 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
One of my friends introduced me to infused water and when I showed her this item she was so excited she ordered one for herself. I put fruit in the infuser stick and it seemed to work well. I like that it stays sealed when in the fridge and pours easily just by depressing the button on the handle.

On the other side of healthy I used it for a cocktail party. I made a pitcher of dirty martinis and inserted the ice core into the pitcher. It kept the drink cold while it was sitting on the table without diluting the cocktail. I set out bowls with different garnishes including anchovy stuffed olives and cocktail onions. I think that it would be a fun idea to have three or four of these pitchers sitting out (when hosting a larger party, of course), each with a different cocktail in it. Another idea that I haven't tried yet would be for Sangria; wine in the pitcher and fruit in the infuser stick. Leave it for a day or so in the fridge and 1970 here we come!

The Contigo seems like it is the perfect size for what it is designed for. If it were much bigger the items in the infuser-stick would not flavor the water as much and the ice-core would not be as effective as it is. I would prefer it more if the pitcher were made out of glass but I still love it the way that it is.

Philips Sonicare HX6211/04 2 Series Plaque Control Rechargeable Toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX6211/04 2 Series Plaque Control Rechargeable Toothbrush
Price: $64.36

5.0 out of 5 stars The best electric toothbrush that I have ever used, July 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my second Phillips Sonicare and it is by far my favorite. Unlike some electric toothbrushes the Philips is gentle and makes me feel like it's massaging my gums instead of scrubbing them. I like that it slowly builds speed after multiple uses. I find that I get more than 2 weeks of use out of the battery before needing to recharge it. The handle is thicker than I would like, thicker than my last model, but I still like this brush.

Eureka AS3030A Airspeed Unlimited Rewind Bagless Upright Vacuum
Eureka AS3030A Airspeed Unlimited Rewind Bagless Upright Vacuum
Offered by GizmosForLife
Price: $112.39
15 used & new from $99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good but basic vacuum, July 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I own several Dyson vacs and although I love them I do wonder about their cost versus their value. I can buy six Eureka's for the price of one Dyson. I often have friends ask me for my advice on what vacuum to get and I always tell them that Dysons are my favorite but, in my experience, they require professional maintenance every 3-5 years which can cost $100-200. You can buy a decent vac like this Eureka every year and still be ahead of the game financially.

In use this is a nice vacuum. It is light and easy to maneuver, has good suction and is easy to use. The best thing about the Eureka AS3030A Airspeed in the retractable electric cord. Wow! I really wish that my other vacs had this feature.

If you are wanting to stay under $100 and don't mind replacing it in a year or two, this could be the vacuum for you. If you are looking for a dependable vac that will last longer than your car, you might want to look elsewhere.

WD TV Media Player (WDBYMN0000NBK-HESN)
WD TV Media Player (WDBYMN0000NBK-HESN)
Price: Click here to see our price
28 used & new from $80.18

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good but not great box, July 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have to say that I have become addicted to "smart TV" technology. I have a hard time dealing with a TV that does not connect to the internet or play a variety of video files. There is SO MUCH good stuff on YouTube that I don't want to be restricted to only watching it on my PC. I also subscribe to Hulu Plus, Netflix, Amazon Prime and other services and I have to say that I am disappointed that this device does not support all of the popular streaming channels.

I am also a still and video photographer and I am always looking for a way to show clients and friends what I have done. This box gives me a lot of options for connecting to an unfamiliar TV so that we can look at the day's shoot and get some group feed-back. This is not a perfect product but it certainly a great value.

PlayPad Pro for Amazon Fire TV
PlayPad Pro for Amazon Fire TV
Price: $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was hoping for, July 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was looking forward to receiving this product but was disappointed in it right out of the box. It has what I can only refer to as a "dollar store" feel. Light, cheaply made, and not very well thought out. Once I got it charged up (it took me over 10 hours to get it a full charge) it worked fairly well. Still, I couldn't get over the flimsy build so it goes in the drawer and I will be looking for a better option.

Bissell 1132A Symphony All-in-One Vacuum and Steam Mop
Bissell 1132A Symphony All-in-One Vacuum and Steam Mop

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice steamer, an okay vacuum, July 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I own an Eureka steamer and I have a couple of Dyson vacuums but I wanted something for a vacation home in the country. We have tile floors in the big room and carpet in the bedrooms. I thought that this sweeper might allow me to keep both floors clean with only one product. For the most part I was right, this does the job.

I like using a steam mop on ceramic tiles. It lifts off muddy footprints, spilled coffee or soda stains, etc. right off of the tiles. This feature works well on the Bissell. As far as the vacuum part goes, what can I say? I am spoiled by the power and the ease of use of the Dyson. However, as a all-in-one, this is a very good product.

Pinemeadow Golf Site 1 Putter, Right Hand, 34-Inch
Pinemeadow Golf Site 1 Putter, Right Hand, 34-Inch
Price: $39.95
2 used & new from $20.85

4.0 out of 5 stars A great value for the beginner or for practice, July 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Putters are one of those clubs that have really changed over the last decade. From what looked like a basic piece of bent metal they have evolved into sophisticated clubs that look like a space station on a handle. This club is kind of in the middle.

I was impressed by the balance of it. It's not as nearly as nice as my Cleveland putter but I wouldn't expect it to be. However, it has a nice, solid feel and it is a vast improvement over the basic putters that come with a lower priced starter set.

This may sound odd but I am going to use this putter when I visit the miniature golf course with my kids and my grand-kids. It certainly beats their "house" putters yet fits in better with the crowd that my Cleveland. I would recommend this for students and beginners.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20