Profile for David Owens > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 193

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David Owens RSS Feed (La Mirada, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Structural Concepts and Systems for Archit
Structural Concepts and Systems for Archit
by T. Y. Lin
29 used & new from $11.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally in print., March 30, 2015
Rung Yen Lin was a very famous engineer who has passed on. You can read a very interesting bio of him in Wikipedia.
I first came across this book back in the 1980's, but it was more expensive than I could afford. When I finally decided to buy it, it was not available anywhere. Fast forward 35 years, and I finally have it.
This is an interesting explanation of basic load design for architects, who of course do not study engineering and would probably ruin their practice if they thought like them. (Besides, most states demand licensed structural engineers to design any structure beyond houses ). Mr Lin provides plenty of drawings with explanations of the forces involved, and modest equations. I recommend this book for architects and the armchair engineer and "sidewalk superintendent", which would be me.

Vitamix 32-ounce Dry Grains Container with Whole Grains Cookbook
Vitamix 32-ounce Dry Grains Container with Whole Grains Cookbook
Price: $107.98
20 used & new from $106.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it claims and well., March 30, 2015
If you own and love Vitamix products-like me-then this really needs no explanation. But if you are thinking Vitamix, this is another tool for your blending options. This container is called a Dry Grains container because the blades have been designed to mix and blow the grains upward, where they fall down for more pulverizing. This is my second dry grains container-I use the first one for grinding coffee beans only.
If you are into hemp or chia seeds, or popcorn kernels, or grinding nuts for nut butter, this is for you.

Bormioli Rocco Frigoverre Glass Pitcher with Lid, 68 Ounce
Bormioli Rocco Frigoverre Glass Pitcher with Lid, 68 Ounce
Offered by BigKitchen
Price: $28.99
2 used & new from $22.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pitcher/container, March 3, 2015
I like this compact pitcher enough to have just purchased my second one. I like it because it is glass, has a large opening that makes it easy to clean, and has a well fitting lid that can be made air tight. My personal use for these is not as pitchers but rather containers for the fridge. I store my leftover organic vegetable soup in them, or vegetable stock, or excess fruit smoothies. For me, they have been a good find, because Walmart just seems to have Chinese plastic.

Journey from Bengal to England ( 2 volume set)
Journey from Bengal to England ( 2 volume set)
by George Forster
Price: $56.95
10 used & new from $20.75

2.0 out of 5 stars This is a negative review, but it might not ..., February 15, 2015
This is a negative review, but it might not be fair. I give it 2 stars only because it is hard to read. It has been sitting next to my chair for months, because it is written in that flowery, way-too-long-sentences typical for the 1800's England. Plus, the author uses huge S's whenever s's are needed, so my reading flow is interrupted. I will probably skim the books and donate them or throw them away.

LG Electronics HBS-730.ACUSBKK Tone and Bluetooth Headset, Black
LG Electronics HBS-730.ACUSBKK Tone and Bluetooth Headset, Black
Offered by Firemall LLC
Price: $69.99
39 used & new from $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, a good value., February 15, 2015
I will not review the audio specifications because I am not qualified to do so. I can tell you the sound is fine for every day use.
Syncing is fast with my iPhone 6. No problems. (But I did discover my somewhat older iPad could not "discover" the unit, and I finally had to abandon the effort.
Wearing the unit around your neck is not irritating. The ear buds fit my ears well. The cords could be a little longer.
I like that the ear buds are magnetic and attach to the unit this way. Very classy, Apple like.
I charge this every night, but I probably don't have to.
I definitely recommend this product for those who want a quality, but not expensive, stereo Bluetooth headset.

Genuine GM Accessories 20903652 Flex Fuel Emblem
Genuine GM Accessories 20903652 Flex Fuel Emblem
Price: $23.15
8 used & new from $18.05

5.0 out of 5 stars I own a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500. It came ..., February 10, 2015
I own a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500. It came equipped with a Flexfuel engine, which to be honest I did not even know until I took it home. The dealer never even mentioned it.
All I had to identify the vehicle as flexfuel was a very small, see-thru plastic sticker on the drivers window. Completely inadequate. So, I bought this genuine GM metal badge. It fastens to the truck with 3M-like sticky adhesive. It is still there, numerous truck washes later.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Tribest Personal Blender PB-150 BPA with Free Compact Package
Tribest Personal Blender PB-150 BPA with Free Compact Package
Price: $59.95
22 used & new from $50.96

2.0 out of 5 stars I was wrong, February 10, 2015
This turned out to be too small and underpowered. The container is ridiculously small, certainly after using a Vitamix. This will blend soft fruit into milk or water, that's it. Perhaps that's all some people want. But I was hoping to use this to grind coffee beans and nuts, but no can do. Tribest sells a dry grinding blade, which I bought. It is almost useless. That's because the blade design, or shape of the container, do not allow the grinding beans or nuts to rise up and fall back. They just spin, leaving anything above the blades unground. Using the wet blade works better, but the machine does not have enough power to do a full container.
Another accessory that got me excited was an attachment that allows blending with a standard sized Mason jar. For dry products it is useless, but for blending drinks it is ok.

My Tribest citrus juicer is well made and a pleasure to use. I was hoping the company would put their expertise into a personal blender, but I guess the price point was too limiting. The Vitamix personal blender is $400.00, and that is the cost of a powerful machine that can do it all. If I did not already own a Next Generation G-300 Vitamix, this thing would be ok. But for me, I am not sure what to do with it.

Water Treatment Plant Operation (A Field Study Training Program, Volume 1,  Sixth Edition)
Water Treatment Plant Operation (A Field Study Training Program, Volume 1, Sixth Edition)
by Project Director Kenneth D. Kerri
16 used & new from $150.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a series of manuals developed and sold by ..., February 4, 2015
This is a series of manuals developed and sold by the Office of Water Programs, Cal State Sacramento. They cover wastewater treatment, fresh water treatment, wastewater collection systems and freshwater collection systems. Every chapter has lengthy questions, and the object of the series is for men and women working in the industry, or hoping to, to pass exams and achieve certification of varying levels of operator level. For example, when I worked in the Bureau of Sanitation for the City of Los Angeles, the wastewater treatment operators were entry level one to level five, the highest. There were not many level fives.
Orange County and other government agencies have similar requirements.
The manuals allow the student to advance at his/her own pace. I believe Certification requires the payment of fees and a sitdown proctored exam.

Hamilton Beach 22720 Toastation Toaster Oven
Hamilton Beach 22720 Toastation Toaster Oven
Price: $31.99
59 used & new from $26.76

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, January 12, 2015
I decided to replace our aging and dirty Toaststation with a new one. This was considerably cheaper than the regular model so I went for it. This model is very cheap. For example, there are little indentations on the control knobs, which make it hard to see the settings. How much did the company save by doing this? Love to speak to the idiot who approved this. The metal gage is thinner and there is no wire tray. The appliance works, but I won't buy it again.

Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion
Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion
by Sam Harris
Price: $15.85
111 used & new from $4.26

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely wrong, January 1, 2015
This is a book written for NPR leftists, who by definition are atheists, democrats, suffer from endless post graduate degrees, and are basically miserable. It is easy to mock religions, and of course they love to mock Christianity (but never Islam-somebody might accuse them of racism), but they have a important place in society. Harris thinks we are the mind, but he could not be more wrong. Harris needs to go to India and truly wake up.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2015 7:44 AM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20