Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS
Profile for Wesley Mullins > Reviews

Browse

Wesley Mullins' Profile

Customer Reviews: 184

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Wesley Mullins RSS Feed (Kentucky)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Best Gifts for Men - Designer Sports Watch in Stainless Steel
Best Gifts for Men - Designer Sports Watch in Stainless Steel
Offered by Prime Time Commerce
Price: $199.95
8 used & new from $15.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch for the price, November 22, 2014
I had not worn a watch in 20 years when I got this one, so I may not be the best person to ask. I will review it based on four qualities and how it fits my needs:

1 - Price to appeal ratio: The watch looks much better than its price tag. As I said, I have not worn a watch in 20 years, so I am out of the loop on what to expect. But since I have been wearing it for the last month, i have been noticing other watches and even asking people about theirs. I am confident that many more expensive ones do not match this one for eye appeal.

2 - Pinching and hair pulling: The main reason I have avoided these types of watches all my life is because they tend to pull my arm hair and/or pinch my skin. In a little over a month, those things have only happened once each. I have been very happy with that.

3 - Scratches. In a little over a month of normal use, very few scratches can be seen on this watch and nearly all on the latch on the bottom. The face and exposed band look brand new.

4 - Ease to adjust. I had no idea how to adjust the size to fit my wrist, but my co-worker did it in less than a minute. So it seems simple.

Decide to Play Great Poker: A Strategy Guide to No-Limit Texas Hold ’Em
Decide to Play Great Poker: A Strategy Guide to No-Limit Texas Hold ’Em
by John Vorhaus
Price: $26.47
88 used & new from $7.16

5.0 out of 5 stars New Approaches for Experienced Players, July 9, 2012
Typically, poker books fall into two categories: those that explain the math, logic and odds that dictate what you "should" do in each situation AND the books that speak to the mentality, discipline and psychology of the game. Annie Duke and John Vorhaus bridge the gap between those two genres in this essential work that takes the next step in understanding the optimal way to approach this deliciously frustrating game.

This is not a book for beginners. Duke and Vorhaus assume their readers know the basic rules and strategy that most advanced players bring with them to the game. They then question whether or not those rules are universal and the only way to play. Their very convincing answer is "no", and they then go on to show how alternatives to the standard approach are more rewarding in the long run.

Through logic, psychology and just plan common sense, the two walk readers through scenarios and explain the popular and nearly universally accepted way to play common set-ups. Then they deconstruct that approach and show how tweaks and outright alterations provide a better return. My favorite (and advice I have already used to great success) is to make a bet equal to a normal continuation bet after hitting a monster flop. Typically, players will either try to get in all their chips after hitting a great flop or they will check and slow play out of fear that any bet will scare off a foe with a marginal hand. This book teaches us that such a check when you are expected to make a continuation bet does just that: scares people, so the third option (representing through a continuation bet a good-but-not-great hand) is better than getting your money in fast or slow playing. Instead of representing "great" (big bet) or "terrible" (no bet), you represent "good". Players are scared away by representations of "terrible", but they love to get creative when they think you have just a good hand. And when players try to get creative after you flop a monster, this game gets real easy.

That's just one of the lessons Duke and Vorhaus teach in this essential read. I bought the audio version in prep for my annual trip to the WSOP. No, I'm not here to tell you I became a millionaire through their advice, but I will say I saw a clear improvement in what I know was an already solid game. After one cash game incident where I made a continuation bet after I flopped a monster full house and let another player call and make a weaker hand on the river, I was able to clean him out for ten times what this book cost me (you know who you are, angry guy in the Orleans), so it's been a valuable addition to my library.

The Yankee Years
The Yankee Years
by Joe Torre
Price: $19.10
367 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fleeting and Fragile Nature of Greatness, February 3, 2009
This review is from: The Yankee Years (Hardcover)
Before A-Rod, before Jason Giambi, and before a 2008 offseason that saw the paranoid and panicking Yankees throw money at players like Old Man Potter trying to buy George Bailey's soul, there was a simpler team, a largely homegrown team, and a better team. The Yankees of the mid-to-late 90s were a band of brothers whose collective play and chemistry defined the "whole is greater than the sum of the parts" utopic dream often referenced in sports but rarely seen. They won championships in four of five seasons and seemed destined to keep on winning.

But they didn't.

At the helm of those glory years was Joe Torre, the even-tempered manager who (along with Derek Jeter) became the face of the franchise. A native New Yorker, Torre fielded a team that somehow both appealed to the blue collar elements of the fan base and also remained true to the regal history of the pinstripes. Even people who hated The Evil Empire respected their skipper.

Torre writes about his tenure in the Bronx in ''The Yankee Years,'' a book penned with Sports Illustrated writer Tom Verducci. Like a good novel, Torre's tale contains three distinct acts: his rise to the top managerial job in sports, an unprecedented run with the Yankees and the inevitable decline. Maybe if he would have waited a few years, more attention would have been focused on the first two parts of the story. As it is now, the team's decline overwhelms the story. A more apropos title may have been "The Death of the Yankees", as the book obsesses over the failures at the expense of giving a thorough account of the achievements of Joe Torre's Yankee Years.

A chief component to the Yankees' demise (according to Torre) was the free-spending, fantasy baseball-like revolving door of superstars suited in pinstripes by the aptly named GM Brian Cashman. The irresponsible spending of the Yankees' cash man and the poor returns on his investments has caused many people to describe the Yankees of the last ten years as, "the place superstars go to die". Torre echoes this opinion, as he regrets that solid, yeomen like Scott Brosius and Tino Martinez disappeared and were replaced high-priced prima donnas. What's worse is that in order to land some of the biggest flops, the Yankees had to deplete their minor leagues, the same farm system that once gave them Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and other future greats.

An important note is that this is not a memoir. Torre is quoted in the book, sometimes in large passages, but he is more of the chief source of information than the author. Verducci stays largely absent from the book, allowing Torre's thoughts and remembrances fill the pages, but one must remember that direct words not assigned to Torre belong to the author. Along with Torre, Verducci uses interviews with many other subjects and his own thorough research to paint a complete picture of the Torre years and often interweaves the story of the Yankees into larger issues, like the steroids scandal.

So much of the publicity around this book relates to Torre's thoughts on Alex Rodriquez. Those looking for a sleazy attack on the third baseman will be disappointed. Torre does provide an interesting theory on how A-Rod's refusal to embrace failure actually leads to his troubles and that a more humble approach to superstardom and an understanding that all players are flawed would only help the superstar. Who knows? Maybe he is right. One thing's for sure: if A-Rod is going to hear that advice these days, he's going to have to read it in this book. Because Joe Torre's "Yankee Years" now belong to the ages.

TurboTax Deluxe Federal + State + eFile 2008 [OLD VERSION]
TurboTax Deluxe Federal + State + eFile 2008 [OLD VERSION]
Offered by Maverick Bargains
Price: $12.99
17 used & new from $6.40

5.0 out of 5 stars $60 to save 5 hours of work, February 3, 2009
I use TurboTax each year because it saves time and gives me a certain piece of mind. I think it is probably a bit overpriced, and even though I think I could do my taxes on my own, I feel like it is money well spent.

I am not an accountant or someone who is overly familiar with tax law. Doing my taxes is pretty simple, but I do have a mortgage deduct a portion of my home expenses because I have a home office. Here are my reasons for using TurboTax:

1 - Permanent Record: Even if my house burns down and my computer gets stolen, TurboTax will always have a record of my taxes. I am terrible about keeping up with paper records, so I like knowing my tax records will always be a simple log-in away

2 - Calculations done for me: I work from home part time and have a home office devoted to my job. I don't fully understand that mathematic equation for determining my deduction on my home office...but TurboTax does. I just have to answer how much of my job is done from home and what percentage of my home is devoted to my office. TurboTax does the math for me. Same goes with miles traveled for work, expensed meals, cell phone bills, etc. TurboTax asks and I respond. No calculator needed.

3 - Time saved: I have basically had the exact same return for the last four years. I am pretty sure I could do all the deductions myself and use the previous forms as a how-to guide. But it would take time. I currently spend about 2 hours doing my taxes with TurboTax, and I estimate that it would take 4-6 hours more doing it myself. I am not a wealthy person, but paying $60 to keep from having to do 4 extra hours or math homework is a good deal for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2010 1:12 AM PST

LG BD300 Network Blu-ray Disc Player (2008 Model)
LG BD300 Network Blu-ray Disc Player (2008 Model)

5.0 out of 5 stars Netflix Option Adds to Enjoyment, February 3, 2009
I can see a tremendous upgrade in BluRay from DVD, both in terms of picture quality and "bells and whistles". Anyone thinking about switching from DVD to BluRay should do so, even if a cheaper player is more desirable.

This player costs more in part because of its ability to access internet options like Netflix's live streaming options, a popular new feature which allows users to stream movies instantly to their PC or to a television by using special devices like this BluRay player. I love it. Not all films/shows are available to view via live-streaming. In fact, I would guess only about 15-20% of titles are currently available. The key is to not go into the catalog looking for a specific title, but check what is available and make choices from there. I currently have about 60 selections in my queue that I can watch instantly on my TV whenever I want. I am most excited about the classic selections; in the first few days, I watched Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, and 2001. I also watched all of the British episodes of The Office and sampled a few episodes from shows I had never seen. A criticism I have read about the selection is that it is heavy on documentaries. That might be true, but I love documentaries and have already seen Man on Wire, Gonzo and Maxed Out through my BluRay.

The list of Netflix selections available for this option is available online. I'd suggest anyone check it out before buying.

Maxed Out
Maxed Out
DVD ~ Beth Naef
Price: $7.99
57 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great start that loses its way, January 16, 2009
This review is from: Maxed Out (DVD)
The first half of Maxed Out should be required viewing for anyone thinking about getting a credit card for themselves (or especially for their children). Viewers are presented with sobering stats about predatory lending practices, mafia-like interest rates and the unspoken desire of banks to see their clients "get behind" and tread water by paying the minimum payments for years or even decades.

The film takes the noble and tough love approach by showing the mistakes made by people who find themselves in credit card debt and the blissfully ignorant attitude many pay to skyrocketing interest payments and compounding late fees. For irresponsible people with bad credit, a $50 purchase on a credit card will likely turn into $200 by the time it is no longer on their balance. By not making responsible choices, people throw away thousands of dollars each year, and greedy bankers get richer and richer.

I was halfway through watching Maxed Out when I thought it was one of the most important documentaries I had ever seen...and then it falls apart. Like all documentaries these days, George W. Bush had to make an appearance as the creator of everything bad in the world, as the man personally responsible for everything that has gone wrong for the last eight years. The film provides far-reaching ideas about how Bush's relationship with bankers and his desire to pass tougher bankruptcy laws somehow causes people to go to Best Buy and purchase $5,000 plasma televisions they can't afford.

Sadly, the filmmakers lose focus on the real story: that people make poor choices to get into bad situations. All of the check-cashing stores and pre-approved credit card offers won't make a responsible person do the wrong thing. Presenting irresponsible people as victims of "the man" is a disservice to a country currently being strangled by financially irresponsibility.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Other Jazz Age Stories (Penguin Classics)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick enjoyable read that does not spoil the movie, January 13, 2009
Longer than a short story, shorter than a novella, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was destined to be lost to everyone except the most ardent F. Scott Fitzgerald fans until Hollywood rescued it and turned it into a film. Intrigued by the trailer, I looked for the story to read before seeing the film. (Not to cost amazon any money, but the full text does exist online).

From what I have seen of the trailer, the film and story differ greatly. Even though Benjamin marries in the story, I don't think his wife (a minor character) occupies the same niche as the Cate Blanchett character in the film.

Fitzgerald speaks of Benjamin in almost fairy tale tones. Scenes aren't described and years are condensed to paragraphs or even sentences. Rather thaw showing scenes from Benjamin's military activities or success on the football field (when he was over 50 years old), Fitzgerald simply states them as fact. Had he so desired, this could have been a 200+ page novel.

It's full of the same quirks that have caused the movie to be one of the most anticipated this year. Like when he is 20 (and looks 50), Fitzgerald tells us he is often mistaken for his father, and when he is 50 (and looks 20), he is often mistaken for his son. Nearly every aspect of his life is told with such mirror bookends, like how his May-December marriage (his wife was 20 and attracted to a man who looked 50) ended up becoming a December-May romance that caused the townsfolk to wonder what a young man was doing with such an old lady.

The story is tricky, poignant and sad, It was impossible to not see Brad Pitt in the role and impossible to not think about how they are going to show him as 80 years old or (sorry Brad) as a teenager. I don't think reading this spoiled anything about the movie for me. If anything, it only makes me want to see it even more.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw (Book 3)
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw (Book 3)
by Jeff Kinney
Price: $8.37
820 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Installment of Fear and Loathing in Adolescence, January 13, 2009
Not since the last Harry Potter book has the tween world so eagerly anticipated the arrival of the next installment in a series. Jeff Kinney's tales of Greg Heffley have become must-reads for middle school kids, especially young boys who are attracted to Kinney's skill at presenting young males in all their snot-nosed glory. An added bonus is the "rebel factor", as kids know that many parents and educators don't approve of the disrespectful antihero.

In the third installment, Greg's father takes an interest in dewimping his son, forcing him to play sports with bigger, tougher boys and threatening to make Greg "be all he can be" by shipping him to a military school. Surprisingly, Greg's reactions to his father's demands are as much genuine and poignant as they are crude and sarcastic. Camouflaged by the humor built from the central figure's insolence is honesty that highlights author Kinney's ability to remember the fear and loathing of adolescence.

Although Kinney has developed a common template in his series, he does fill each book with fresh ideas. Like a good episode of The Wonder Years or a reflective moment from My Antonia, the Wimpy books hold an appeal not just to the young, but also to any of us who used to be young.

Samsung BD-P2500 1080p Blu-ray Disc Player (2008 Model)
Samsung BD-P2500 1080p Blu-ray Disc Player (2008 Model)

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Netflix Feature, January 11, 2009
This is my first experience with a BluRay player, so I can't compare the features and functionality with other devices. I can see a tremendous upgrade from DVD, both in terms of picture quality and "bells and whistles". Anyone thinking about switching from DVD to BluRay should do so, even if a cheaper player is more desirable.

I paid extra to get this version because of its compatibility with Netflix's live streaming feature. A popular new feature on Netflix allows users to stream movies instantly to their PC or to a television by using special devices like this BluRay player. I love it. Not all films/shows are available to view via live-streaming. In fact, I would guess only about 15-20% of titles are currently available. The key is to not go into the catalog looking for a specific title, but check what is available and make choices from there. I currently have about 60 selections in my queue that I can watch instantly on my TV whenever I want. I am most excited about the classic selections; in the first few days, I watched Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, and 2001. I also watched all of the British episodes of The Office and sampled a few episodes from shows I had never seen. A criticism I have read about the selection is that it is heavy on documentaries. That might be true, but I love documentaries and have already seen Man on Wire, Gonzo and Maxed Out through my BluRay.

Apples to Apples Party Box - The Game of Crazy Combinations (Family Edition)
Apples to Apples Party Box - The Game of Crazy Combinations (Family Edition)
Offered by E P D
Price: $23.15
256 used & new from $3.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun For Families and Friends, January 8, 2009
"Apples to Apples" is a simple game of comparisons. In five minutes, both the rules and the genius of the game are clear. Each round requires a new judge to pick which anonymous answer is the best, and the player who provided that answer gets a point. The beauty of the game is its subjectivity; there are no right answers. It's up to the judge to decide whether the answer of "snakes" is better than the answer of "Michael Jackson" when the category is "terrifying.

Players are limited in the number of words they can play by random draw and are thus required to fit some square pegs into round holes and hope the judge sees the brilliance of their reaching metaphor.

Each round inspires discussion and playful arguments (maybe not so playful for super competitive players). The greatest feature is that (a la The Newlywed Game), people who know each other tend to supply answers to "inside jokes" that the judge will recognize. When I was the judge, someone played a "cockroach" card when the topic was "annoying". The person playing the card knows I have been battling an insect problem for some time and thus won the point "playing the judge".

Such nuance turns playing this simple game into a very enjoyable experience (although some of that is lost when played by strangers).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19