Profile for Michael Baker > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Baker "mbaker_jr" RSS Feed (Tallahassee, FL)

SP400 Smart-Pointer (Silver) 2.4Ghz RF Wireless Presenter with mouse function and laser pointer for Mac and PC
Offered by Satechi
Price: $39.99
9 used & new from $30.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked for 4 months and then failed., January 31, 2011
This presenter worked fine for the first four months that I used it. I am a pretty heavy user, teaching four PowerPoint-based college courses per semester. The problem that I had was that the "advance slide" button, which is the most frequently used button by far, got stuck down. I managed to take the device apart and switch the workings of the "down" button for the "advance slide" button. This was delicate work but I managed to pull it off with nothing more than a tiny screwdriver for small electronics and the repair took about 30 minutes and some trial and error. Now my "down" button doesn't work, but I don't use that one anyway. If I had my choice I would have gone with Logitech's classic presenter(996-000087), which I used for several years with few problems (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-996-000087-Cordless-Presenter/dp/B003R1HPEI/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1296510623&sr=8-15). Unfortunately, that one costs 4/5x as much. Hopefully my repairs will hold and I'll get another few months of use out of this SP400.

De Blob - Nintendo Wii
De Blob - Nintendo Wii
Offered by 1stVideo
Price: $13.53
116 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best games on Wii, September 27, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
de Blob is a fantastic original game with beautiful graphics, a cool jazzy soundtrack, and lots of fun challenges to keep you occupied. The presentation is top notch as the developer obviously put a lot of thought, energy, and humor into the creation of this game. There's a range of difficulty to the challenges and goals so there's really something to appeal to different types of gamers. More casual gamers can just roll Blob around and color buildings while hardcore gamers can go for 100% completion and try to complete tougher and tougher challenges with time limits. Whatever your desired challenge level, you're bound to have a great time playing this game.

The graphics are crisp, clean, and most of all, colorful. The game runs in full 480p widescreen for those that have an HDTV and have invested in the Wii's component video cable for the proper connection. de Blob's graphics are a big part of its unique style and fun factor.

I can't give the jazzy soundtrack enough praise. It provides a great atmosphere that compliments the graphical style perfectly. Also, it's more dynamic than just being a set list of songs that you hear as you are playing through the various levels. First of all, you can select different moods for Blob, which affects the soundtrack for each level. Even more impressive is the fact that different instruments are added into the mix depending on the current color of Blob and how much of the level you've colored.

While de Blob has a couple of different multiplayer modes, I haven't tried them out yet, but I've heard pretty good things about them from game review websites.

I'd strongly recommend de Blob to anyone who wants a fresh, fun, and original gaming experience on Wii.

Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs
Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs
DVD ~ Brittany Murphy
Offered by Outlet Promotions
Price: $7.24
73 used & new from $1.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great addition the the resurrected series, June 8, 2008
I managed to view a copy of this movie that was leaked to the internet today. This is the second Futurama direct-to-DVD movie to come out as part of the series' semi-revival after being canceled by the executive morons at Fox a couple of years back. Now I'm a big Futurama fan so I'm probably biased but I enjoyed this movie. The first direct-to-DVD movie was probably a bit better as it had a more diverse storyline and musical numbers but this one was thoroughly entertaining and I highly recommend it to anyone who's a fan of the series.

The best thing about this movie is the use of secondary characters. Futurama developed a ridiculously expansive cast during the course of its original 4 year run and the creators are now (wisely in my opinion) expanding beyond focusing on the Planet Express crew. The use of the many robot characters in this one was great, especially Calculon, Millionairebot, Hedonismbot, a large heavily armored robot (whose name I can't remember), and of course the robot devil, who is voiced by Dan Castellaneta. Aside from the bots, we also see the return of President Richard Nixon's head, who delivers one of the funniest lines in the movie.

The worst thing about this film may be that fact that the guest voices are underused. Brittany Murphy's performance as a new romantic interest for Fry is well done but ultimately forgettable. Steven Hawking plays himself and while he makes a nice addition with some genuinely funny lines, he's often hard to understand. Also, David Cross plays the role of the giant tentacle monster who is the focus of much of the movie. While he is given some good awkward material to work with, he is never given a chance to shine like he did in Arrested Development. Even so, this is a minor gripe.

The bottom line: This is another cleverly written and enjoyable entry to the series. The lack of musical numbers was a bit of a let down but I liked the movie and I'll be buying it as soon as it's available in stores.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2008 12:24 PM PDT

The Jungle Book (Two-Disc 40th Anniversary Platinum Edition)
The Jungle Book (Two-Disc 40th Anniversary Platinum Edition)
DVD ~ Phil Harris
119 used & new from $4.24

1.0 out of 5 stars I love the movie but this DVD is seriously flawed, October 2, 2007
I picked this DVD up today and got it home to find that Disney had altered the original theatrical aspect ratio of 1.33:1 to make the movie "fit" on widescreen TVs. They did this by chopping off the top and bottom of the image. This results in the loss of a good deal of character animation (at least the tops of their heads and their feet). Trust me, I own the original Limited Issue DVD of this film and I did a side-by-side comparison as soon as I got the new Platinum Edition home. If you are a purist about original aspect ratios, please avoid this release and petition Disney to start a free disc replacement program. We should at least have the option of watching the original unaltered film the way that it was meant to be seen.
***NOTE: There are now user images that can be viewed for this product that illustrate the cropping discussed in my review.
Comment Comments (37) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2014 12:28 PM PDT