ARRAY(0xa94e499c)

Customer Reviews: 344

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Maek RSS Feed (Phoenix, AZ United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Anker® 2nd Gen Astro 6000mAh (2A Output) Portable Charger External Battery Pack with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, iPad Air, mini, Galaxy S5, S4, S3, Note 3, Galaxy Tab 3, 2, Nexus 4, 5, 7, 10, HTC One, One 2 (M8), MOTO X, G, LG Optimus, other Smartphones and Tablets (Apple 30 pin and lightning, Samsung 30-pin adapter, not included)
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $59.99
4 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch for PS Vita, April 9, 2014
Finding a portable battery capable of meeting Vita's 1.5 A demand for charging purposes can be challenging. Sure, Sony offers their own charger.

This little charger, on the other hand, fits the bill quite nicely too. I'm nearly able to get 2x additional full charges out of this for my Vita which means nearly 15 hours of total gameplay (assuming that you were fully charged to begin with). This is pretty handy on long drives where chargeable ports within a vehicle are at a premium when you're competing with cell phones to boot.

The indicator is another handy feature. Each tick on the indicator is equivalent to 10% of charge so you can readily tell how much charge you have left on your battery.

I've used this handy battery on 3 vacation trips and it has served me well. I'm sure it works well for cell phones, too, but as a PS Vita user, I'm VERY satisfied.

Turtle Beach Ear Force XO Seven Premium Xbox One Gaming Headset
Turtle Beach Ear Force XO Seven Premium Xbox One Gaming Headset
Price: $134.49
48 used & new from $93.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Better sound than in the past, but my lord...the price..., March 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Of all the Turtle Beach sets I've ever owned, this one was by far the most comfortable.

Once I unpacked the box, I was immediately greeted with a leaflet informing me that a controller update was required to make this headset work. So update I did. To be clear, this is technically a wired set that works through the controller. The adapter conveniently works its magic through the controller itself with a set of chat controls. Works great.

What intrigued me most was its mobile compatibility. Alas, you will not enjoy any chat functionality there and what it ultimately winds up being is a glorified headphone with a 3.5 mm jack that is connected to the interchangeable cables through a rather clunky adapter interface. Thankfully, the microphone is fully detachable so at least the headphones can actually WORK like headphones.

Sound-wise, this set is better than previous iterations. Bass packs a lot less oomph still, but it IS improved.

Sadly, however, one has to wonder why a wired headset is still $149 when a wireless offering is about the same...one might speculate that lack of a wireless function almost increases the overall profit margin on something that should have been priced in the $90 range. For that reason, I had to dock it a star.

It's a solid set with decent chat functionality, but wow...that price....
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2014 11:50 AM PDT

Canon Office Products IP8720 Wireless Inkjet Photo Printer
Canon Office Products IP8720 Wireless Inkjet Photo Printer
Price: $225.68
11 used & new from $225.04

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT printer...wished it had a LITTLE more..., March 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've never been totally enamored with Canon printers previously. In the mid- to late-90s, I was a pretty big Epson fan until they became extremely inefficient with their ink usage (and their somewhat suspicious need to clean very frequently). Since the early 2000s, I've been fairly pleased with HP printers as a whole and found Canons a little too cumbersome and not quite as user-friendly.

That said, breaking the 8.5" x 11" barrier has been an expensive one in the past. At this printer's price point, it's still fairly high but palatable. The verdict is that this is a pretty good printer and certainly worthy of its expense to print borderless pictures up to 13" x 19".

OUT OF THE BOX
-------------------------
It seems like a minor point to be honest, but nothing can be more unpleasant than unboxing some of these beasts with their numerous hidden compartments, Styrofoam levels, inserts, etc. This one was surprisingly refreshing. One cardboard stock insert was in place to keep power wiring, ink, installation software, test paper, and quick start manuals away from the main printer. The main printer itself was shipped with 2 simple Styrofoam buffers on the side that were easy to remove with no Styrofoam bead mess. The printer itself had 2 large "sticky covers" to remove plus one small one to protect its finish. In addition, the printer only had two taped inserts to remove. A separate cardboard stock container houses the printable DVD/Blu-Ray tray and was also fairly easy to remove.

SETUP
----------
This is one area where I wish the printer had "a little more" (next paragraph). Getting ink cartridges installed was easy and I liked that there are built-in LCD lights on each cartridge indicating that they were installed correctly. There are 6 cartridges in all which may worry those about ink costs (you're not going to avoid that...ever), but I do like the fact that there is an actual "gray" cartridge. Gray typically sucks multiple cartridges dry so to have a dedicated cartridge for that alone is a nice change and should help to prolong Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow cartridges. The other 2 cartridges are black and photo black. Once I've had some substantial use of this printer, I'll edit my review to discuss longevity.

Getting the printer to hook up to wireless modem, however, was a little problematic. One thing that I've liked about the HP printers that I've purchased in the past is an on-screen navigation menu to setup a wireless connection. Sadly, this printer boasts NO touchscreen LCD display. It took a little negotiating between the installation DVD on a laptop, activating the wireless search on the printer, and activating the WPS access on my router. After about 10 minutes, I finally worked it out, but it certainly wasn't without its challenges. I imagine that a USB connection would have made this process a little more painless, but our current layout precludes making this an easily viable option. An LCD display on the printer would have gone a LONG way to confirm what was going on and why.

USE
------
Once the printer is setup, it's a breeze to use, although you won't have the ability to have multiple paper sizes in the printer. The tabs built-in to the printer will slide to adjust to the paper size that you have on-hand, so you may need to swap out paper sizes and ensure that you have the proper media selected prior to printing when you do.

One thing that I'm not too crazy about, however, is not having the ability to check ink levels at the printer. While you can do it on the computer, it's not readily apparent; I would LOVE to have the ability to look at the printer at a glance through an LCD and see whether or not I'm going to be wasting $$$ on printing on a photo quality 13" x 19" print just because an ink cartridge was borderline low. While most printers are fairly good at letting you know that ink levels are low, I've had the occasion where things started going awry because someone in the household decided to override the warning. I'd like to know if that may be a potential issue as I'm loading paper at the printer and not find out at the computer: a) just before I print and I actually find out that I need to change it or even worse b) find out after it's halfway through the print job.

Image quality is superb...actually, IMMACULATE. A test photo on Canon's sample premium photo paper resulted in a photo that looked like it was professionally developed. I tried two pictures - one of them dark and the other with bright colors. Both were amazing and I fooled friends into thinking that I had it made at Costco. Casual prints on normal paper are crisp and well-defined.

UTILITY
-----------
Another thing that I do like about this printer is the printable DVD tray. I had to replace my HP printer recently and the newer model didn't support it anymore. I like being able to print onto a printable disc for 2 reasons: 1) it looks more professional than a "raised paper label" and 2) paper labels can have the rare potential to cause "wobble" when played; I have had it happen once and I had to shred the disc because it wasn't playable. Having this feature is great on this printer and it works well. The bigger bonus is that the back of the printer has a special place to hang/store the tray when it's not in use to keep it protected and out of site.

Overall, this is a great printer (4.5 stars). If it had an LCD screen, I'd say that it would get top marks. However, the lack of one is a sad omission that would have improved a good printer into a much better one.

AKG K323XS A In-Ear Headphones with In-Line Microphone/Remote Cable (Black)
AKG K323XS A In-Ear Headphones with In-Line Microphone/Remote Cable (Black)
Price: $49.95
3 used & new from $49.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Yeeesh...return to sender, March 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Wow. I've reviewed a number of headphones good and bad, but these take the cake.

If these were $9.95 retail, I'd say that the old adage of "you get what you pay for" would hold up. These headphones are about on-par with a pair of Coby headphones, and I'd ALMOST be tempted to say that this was a disservice to Coby.

But at $59.95 MSRP, these are inexcusable. Of nearly every headphone that I've come across ranging from $9.95 to $149.95 MSRP, I'd have to say that 90% of them are capable of holding up fairly well on mid-level frequencies. This pair simply doesn't...it doesn't hold mids OR lows very well. I wasn't too surprised by the lack of low frequency response; seriously, the point of origin where the sound comes from is probably the width of 4 paper-clip rods bound together. But the mid frequency response sounds "bottomed out"...almost like it's through a tin can. And the highs sound so "brassy"/"shiny" that they almost hurt too much to listen to when I tried pushing the volume a bit to see if that would resolve the issue.

I know what you're thinking. Maybe they weren't in right or the I didn't have the right earbud size. The set comes up with FOUR alternate sizes...none of them helped. To make matters worse and in the worst fit of counterintuitive design, the bigger ones--while fitting me a little better--somehow managed to make noise isolation (of what pathetic little isolation there was) even WORSE.

At $9.95, I'd say meh. At $59.95 MRSP (or anything above $10 for that matter), avoid at all costs.

Grace Cock Flavored Soup Mix, 1.7 Oz (Pack of12)
Grace Cock Flavored Soup Mix, 1.7 Oz (Pack of12)
Price: $10.51
7 used & new from $7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Made my wife try it..., March 14, 2014
I wanted my wife to try it, who was apprehensive. She never had foreign food before. She asked if she could spit it out if she didn't like it, but I told her to at least try it once and swallow. If she didn't like the soup, she didn't have to try it again.

I was thinking about getting it as a gag gift for her originally, but she doesn't like gags. Some people aren't adventurous, I guess.

Logitech Wireless Headset Dual H820e Double-Ear Stereo Business Headset
Logitech Wireless Headset Dual H820e Double-Ear Stereo Business Headset
Price: $160.96
45 used & new from $160.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid headset, March 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Logitech Wireless Headset H820e is a pretty good headset. The noise cancelling microphone works very well and I tested it on both my Cisco at work as well as Skype...users on both systems reported that I came through crystal clear and it sounded much better than my webcam (Logitech Webcam C920) that I used for Skype audio in the past.

Range is also impressive. I needed to answer the front door approximately 80 feet away and there was no degradation in audio quality as I was doing so; sending and receiving were pretty good.

However, there are a couple of things I wished they would improve:

1. Ear pieces. They are cushiony soft and feel like they'd be comfortable to wear for extended durations. However, it doesn't feel like a snug fit to me and I have a pretty large head (8 7/8" sized hats feel tight to me). I wished that it felt just a little tighter. Also, I wished that they were over ear rather than on ear.
2. Audio. Don't get me wrong - the audio for vocal speech is pretty good. However, I'd like to occasionally hear audio on my computer that doesn't sound like it's being projected through a muffled tin can; Windows 7 notifications and other computer sounds come across weak and muffled. If this were a $60 set, it'd be one thing and although I know it's primary purpose is to be a communication device, I'd like to get a little more for something that is $200 MSRP.

HONORABLE MENTION - the cradle. The charging cradle (which also doubles as the wireless broadcast antenna) makes it surprisingly easy for the user to slide the headset in for charging. It's not finicky whatsoever; slide the headset along the band supporting the ear cups and it glides effortlessly into the charging receptacle. It was so easy, in fact, that I looked at the charging indicator doubtfully until it lit up, acknowledging that I had done it correctly. An AC adapter is required for charging despite the USB connection to the computer, but I suspect that has more to do with ensuring that its broadcast range is as impressive as I found it to be.

Overall, it's pretty good...but there is room for improvement.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation Vita
DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation Vita
Price: $39.96
37 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Strangely addictive, March 2, 2014
When I first read that this was mostly a text-based game, I cringed. The Vita is still an underdeveloped powerhouse that was well utilized in titles like LittleBigPlanet, Tearaway, Persona 4, and Uncharted, so I experienced a little dismay that the most recent entry was text-based.

Boy, was I wrong. Yes, this game is text-based, but what a twisted and demented premise and story behind it!

There is a sick psychopathic bear named Monokuma who has tricked many of the nation's best students ("ultimates", such as the Ultimate Swimmer, the Ultimate Pop Star, etc.) into coming to an elite, private school academy (Hope) which has been highly regarded as a school that produces students who are guaranteed success for life. Your character? Well, you're the average Joe who is in the school because you were drawn by lottery...you're the Ultimate "Lucky" Student.

However, not all is what it seems. The school is a veritable prison with no apparent way out. Worse still, the bear makes its appearance and offers the students 2 choices: live there forever in peace and harmony OR kill someone and--if the student gets away with it--they can "graduate" and the other students are summarily executed. While in practice, you couldn't imagine why anyone would entertain the thought to begin with...but then Monokuma fuels each of the student's motives for doing so in a way that I won't spoil here. Suffice it to say that it's quite clever and comparisons to the movie SAW are easily made.

What follows is a beautifully twisted tale of mystery and paranoia with your free time spent developing your skills through social interactions until a murder occurs. Once a murder occurs, you need to gather evidence for the inevitable trial that takes place. And that's where the game truly shines. You use your evidence in the form of "truth bullets" to shoot down phrases of your fellow classmates when the evidence/arguments that they provide either are contradictions/lies. The trick, however, is picking the WEAKEST argument that occurs since some of their statements may have a weak basis, but only a certain part of the evidence can be shot down effectively; it's pretty well done. There are also moments of hangman-like minigames where you have to pick letters to form the word of a piece of evidence that is relevant to the case. When you finally make your accusation, a rhythm-based game will have you defending yourself against a torrent of denial.

In description, it seems weird, but it's immensely fun. The text-based aspect of the game is full of dialog that's engaging and will also have you learning more about all 15 inhabitants of the school. Doing so (and giving students presents) will unlock certain "powers" to aid you in trial.

All in all, I never would have thought myself to be engaged in a mostly text-based game, but man, this game has changed my outlook on such a thing. The story is cool and the background music is amazing.

I highly recommend this!

For those of you who are wondering about the "Mature" title, yes, there is violence although the blood in the game is a hot pink. However, how the students die is quite varied and disturbing at times and the game doesn't hold back on the language with certain characters (including the Ultimate Biker Gang Leader) and there are the occasional double-entendres (that made me laugh), so while the attraction to the game as a mystery-solver may be enticing to a younger audience, please keep in mind that the "Mature" rating is deserved here so choose accordingly.

Natural Untreated Ruby, 5.10ct. (U4021)
Natural Untreated Ruby, 5.10ct. (U4021)
Offered by The Natural Sapphire Company
Price: $123,420.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect djinn prison!, February 27, 2014
I was recently looking to imprison a djinn who had granted me 2 wishes and threatened to consume the entire human race if I granted him a third. First I thought, man, I'm outta luck because there aren't any Persian sorcerers to help me out (to my knowledge anyway - every time I google it, I get inexplicable visits from the NSA).

Thank goodness I typed in "unreasonably expensive gemstones" and got this as a result! Not only is this a natural stone (the djinn will NOT be imprisoned in lab-created stones), but it's also a great conversational piece as I currently have this dangling from one of my nipple piercings (the other one features an emerald carved into a replica of the djinn's head). It also doubles as an awesome disco ball, although I have to be careful with my laser projectors and that they don't hit the freakin' stone; otherwise, out he pops with his ol' "let me grant you 3 wishessssssssss" nonsense. Really...the guy won't clam up.

Highly recommended for djinn imprisonment...or if you just want to show off how incredibly wealthy you are.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2014 9:22 AM PDT

Omas Limited Edition Phoenix Plated Fountain Pen With Diamonds
Omas Limited Edition Phoenix Plated Fountain Pen With Diamonds

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing but the best..., February 21, 2014
At $60,000, I was on the fence until it dropped down to $48,000. 20% off?? Oh, you had me sold at nearly $60k, Omas.

One would think that this might be a bit much, but hey, I had to write my check to buy this TV (Samsung UN85S9 85-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz 3D Smart LED UHDTV (Black)), so I wanted nothing but the best.

So I bought it and I used my own personal desk to do so: CTA Digital 2-in-1 iPotty with Activity Seat for iPad; my iPad is only used as a writing surface anyway when I'm feeling too lazy to get up and sign it on this table: Chinese Rose Wood Flower Carving Round Dinning Table Set/ 8 Chair Awk2381.

I also let my daughter to use it to write on my gold filigree bedposts which I relaminate with gold every 3 months so she has a clean surface to work on.

Warning - this pen does not come with any gold inlaid letterhead paper. I would have figured that they would have chipped in for 10 sample sheets, but nooooooooooooooooo....

Persona 4 Group Collection Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 Flip Cover Case with Card Holder Customized Made to Order Support Ready Premium Deluxe Pu Leather 5 inch (132mm) x 2 11/16 inch (68mm) x 9/16 inch (14mm) Liil S III S 3 Professional Cases Accessories Open Camera Headphone Port I9300 LCD Graphic Background Covers Designed Model Folio Sleeve HD Template Designed Wallpaper Photo Jacket Wifi 16gb 32gb 64gb Luxury Protector Micro SD Wireless Cellphone Cell Phone
Offered by LiilProducts
Price: $49.99

1.0 out of 5 stars After 1 month, and it has exhibited some really bad wear, February 21, 2014
When I originally got the case, I loved the image quality and leather cover for it. However, after 1 month, the outside folding part has creased and flaked the upper layer off and the image on all sides of the case have warn off. To make matters worse, the front and back layers of both sides of the case have begun to fray and separate.

I love Persona and thought this was a great looking case. However, just don't expect to USE it. I don't recommend this product at all.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20