Profile for Maek > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 370

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Maek RSS Feed (Phoenix, AZ United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
InStyler Original Rotating Hot Iron, Purple, 1-1/4 Inch
InStyler Original Rotating Hot Iron, Purple, 1-1/4 Inch
Price: $99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from an 11-year old's perspective, August 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My daughter wanted to try this out as she does like to style her own hair; she is surprisingly good with it. As a nearly bald guy, I didn't have much input for it myself, so I quizzed her on this product which she was excited to try out.

First thing that she wanted to note that it will scare you just a tad at first because of the noise it makes as it spins, but once you get used to it, it works really well. It heats up quickly and has 3 heat settings per the instructions - a relatively low heat setting of 285 degrees if you have fine, delicate hair up to 410 degrees for thick hair. Just as with any hair iron, handle this with extreme caution, especially given how hot it gets and don't simply rest it anywhere after use. The rotating iron does come with its own protective mat, which is a nice thing to include with something like this.

My daughter does give it top marks for what its intended for and felt that it was fairly easy to use. I figure that if an 11-year old can handle it fairly well, then that's a pretty good vote of confidence for me. Of course, always be careful when using this with your young children (we don't let her use it unsupervised), but its ease of use for her makes me feel that it's worth endorsing.

BenQ RL2460HT 24-Inch 1ms GTG with HDMI Out ZeroFlicker 2x HDMI LED-Lit Monitor
BenQ RL2460HT 24-Inch 1ms GTG with HDMI Out ZeroFlicker 2x HDMI LED-Lit Monitor
Price: $219.99
48 used & new from $199.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fairly impressive!, August 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am a gamer, but my reasons for owning a 2nd monitor include video editing as well. For starters, I hooked this monitor up to my laptop as a secondary display. One thing that I noticed straight off the bat was response time. With considerably older monitors, I would notice just a SLIGHT amount of lag between what was happening on an old laptop screen and the one that was hooked up to it. With the advent of much better hardware in video cards, this is a thing of the past, but having a monitor with quick response times helps as well. This monitor responds VERY WELL.

As a secondary monitor to my somewhat venerable 27" LG monitor, this monitor performs like a champ. I use it as a secondary display to preview my video work while I use the other monitor to perform my editing task. The image is crisp and the video color reproductions are accurate. The nice thing about this monitor is that it does have a large number of video output presets including Standard, Movie, Photo, Eco (power saving), sRGB, RTS 1, RTS 2, Fighting, FPS, as well as 3 other programmable presets named Gamer 1 - 3 that can include your own tweaks. All video setting are fully customizable regardless of the presets as well.

Also, my usual gripe with controlling menu options and accessing them via 3-4 buttons is absent here. All of the buttons are along the side of the monitor and all menu options are aligned to each button so it takes all the guesswork out of choosing which button does what for a menu. NICE FEATURE!

Off angle viewing could use a little bit of a boost, but it's still fairly good viewing from off angles and given that the target crowd is for the hardcore gamer, you won't find any complaints in that department.

The monitor also features 2 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output, 1 DVI input, and 1 old school D-sub. I especially like this since I can plug my camcorder in the secondary input without having to swap cables so I can view video recordings through it. It would also allow a gamer the opportunity to have multiple consoles hooked up to the same screen as well.

All in all, I'd say that this is a pretty good monitor and, at its price point, is a hard one to beat for cost.

Pictopia-Family Trivia Game: Disney Edition
Pictopia-Family Trivia Game: Disney Edition
Offered by Store2Door
Price: $32.00
10 used & new from $25.71

5.0 out of 5 stars If Trivial Pursuit and Disney had a child...., August 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Would you like to play a game like Trivial Pursuit, but with a Disney scope and simplified rules?

Look no further. This game has it in spades. The entire game revolves around a host who rolls a dice to move a piece to determine whether a group or individual question is asked. Players have "wager wheels"...they are presented with a card that has 4 pictures on it (usually small clips of a character's face from a Disney movie) and then asked to secretly wager how many moves they can go forward if they get the answer right.

Questions are based on Disney trivia and can include more than one correct answer. For example, "which of these flowers are found in the Wonderland garden?" There'll be a picture of the wilting rose from Beauty and The Beast, two actual pictures from Wonderland, and a picture of a flower given to Belle.

The rules are simple and in case if you're wondering if the host (who doesn't participate in the gameplay) has nothing else to do rather than to rule-keep, there are opportunities to see if you know your host well! For example, there is a round where you get to guess what villain the host might like to be for a day, or who your host sounds most like, etc. It's fun, light-hearted, and fast. It's also very easy to learn and very suitable to the 7+ age suggestion on the package.

There are also 1,000 questions within the package, so there is a great deal of longevity to be had in the game.

There are also bonus rounds included with a free downloadable app (including lightning rounds) which I thought was a pretty cool nod toward the current generation of gaming. If you don't have an app-enabled phone or tablet, you won't need it; it's just a nice little extra if you do have it.

We love the game a lot, being big Disney fans ourselves. I thought that I wouldn't know that much, but I was surprised at how much I DID know...and I think you will too.

Turtle Beach Ear Force PS4 Headset Upgrade Kit for Turtle Beach Headsets
Turtle Beach Ear Force PS4 Headset Upgrade Kit for Turtle Beach Headsets
Price: $34.95
20 used & new from $31.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!!, August 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I own a PS3 set of Turtle Beach headphones and the release of the PS4 has been problematic in terms of available headsets. This upgrade kit finally offers users of previously PS3-compatible headphones a way of hooking them up to a PS4 for minimal cost. Although it comes as no surprise that this comes out 9 months after the PS4 (after all, Turtle Beach had other more expensive headphones to clear out first), it finally offers those who decided to patiently wait an option to finally use their old headphones. The 3.5 mm adapter allows game audio connection while the USB connection offers chat capability...yes, all wired, unfortunately, but at least you don't have to spend $100 for a headset that still features lackluster audio capability just because you have an alternative platform.

Ravensburger Empire State Building - Night Edition - 3D Puzzle (216-Piece)
Ravensburger Empire State Building - Night Edition - 3D Puzzle (216-Piece)
Price: $27.77
40 used & new from $24.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Great puzzle...but a little on the easy side..., August 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a fun puzzle, hands-down. Difficulty-wise, it's not going to be too challenging. The bigger challenge is finding the next numbered piece that fits into the series that you're working on rather finding the one that simply fits. Yes, the pieces are all numbered (all 216 of them), so don't expect this to be a weeks-long exercise of finding just the right piece.

That said, there are certain improvements I wish they'd make:

1. Corners - I wish that these pieces were either a) pre-folded or b) would fold with a decisive snap. Each corner that I come across as me fearing that I'm going to break it with the force that I put into it to ensure that I have it securely in position.
2. Stability - the pieces are plastic and a fair amount of meat to them. That said, however, I wish there was just a little more meat. There were a few times I would groan simply because something would come apart when I felt 99% certain that I had everything interlocking "just so."

The finished product, however, is cool. The LED light fits in at the base and several "stepped" layers of the puzzle feature clear plastic so that the light shines upward as suggested in the promotional photo.

All in all, this is a great puzzle to put together with your son/daughter during an afternoon if you're looking for a much-needed alternative to gaming/TV and you just want to do something completely different.

OXO Good Grips 7-Piece Nesting Measuring Beaker Set, Multicolored
OXO Good Grips 7-Piece Nesting Measuring Beaker Set, Multicolored
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So cool!, August 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
One of the biggest headaches of our household is the various measuring tools and the space that they take. We have Pyrex bowls and measuring spoons of various sizes. This OXO set, however, provides a really neat compact way of measuring anything from a 1 tsp to a full cup and providing a really neat, eye-catching storage solution.

That, and they are top-dishwasher rack safe. My only minor disappointment was that they hadn't included something that goes up to a full 2 cups, but the form-fitting and space-saving feature of this set (featuring both English AND metric measurements) definitely makes this a new winner in our household and a reason for tossing out some rather annoying measuring spoons. I definitely recommend this set!

Allen Sports 1W Aluminum Light Set, Silver
Allen Sports 1W Aluminum Light Set, Silver
Price: $24.75

5.0 out of 5 stars NICE!!, August 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have often had trouble finding a good bike light. Either it's cheap (and you get what you pay for) or even when you do pay a good amount, the housing still winds up being plastic and doesn't have the longevity you need and/or it's not as bright as you'd like.

This bike light set takes care of it all. The assembly to the bike rail is still plastic, but it's ok...it doesn't feel like I'm going to snap it off easily. What I live even more, however, is that the lights themselves are constructed with aluminum which renders them light yet extremely durable. Depending on your handlebar configuration, there's an additional adjustable screw that holds the front light that you can loosen to slide the light further out or closer to you depending on your preference/convenience. The light does feature solid or flashing pattern features. And that front light...wow, I made the mistake of turning that thing on while I was looking at it and it is EYE-PIERCINGLY BRIGHT. No one is going to mistake this light for anything other than a cyclist, that's for sure.

The front light is powered by 3 AAA batteries. This is a shame considering that the rear red light (also fairly bright, but feature multiple LEDs as opposed to the solitary front light) utilizes a longer-lasting watch-style lithium battery; I wish that they had done the same with the front, personally, or at least kept them all AAAs. The mixing of the battery types is likely to be confusing (and the choice for doing so even more perplexing). However, the 3-AAA housing is actually pretty well-constructed and should significantly reduce any potential for connections going bad for the foreseeable future.

Overall, it's a superb light set for a bike. I wish they had made front/back a lithium-type battery for an extremely long-life, but that's a minor detraction...I really recommend this for all cyclists.

Hamilton Beach 52400 Stay or Go Blender
Hamilton Beach 52400 Stay or Go Blender
Price: $35.99
7 used & new from $35.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for smoothies and shakes..., August 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a fantastic product for making smoothies and shakes. While some have lauded its ability to blend, keep in mind that a) this is obviously a budget blender at its price point and b) for what it comes at its price point (including the 3 convenient cups!), it's pretty decent.

I've used this to make fruit smoothies and protein shakes and it does the job well. The construction is relatively cheap and, yes, all the containers are plastic. However, if you're looking for an inexpensive solution to something that simply makes drinks and very little else, this is the way to go...just don't expect to break open the Joy Of Cooking book and expect this blender to do everything for you there. Why Hamilton Beach tries to advertise it as capable of more is a little beyond me and a bit of a stretch.

Organ Transport Lunch Cooler
Organ Transport Lunch Cooler
Offered by Katelyn's Treasure Chest
Price: $23.83
8 used & new from $23.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect lunch cooler...hands-off, freeloaders!, July 30, 2014
This is the perfect lunch cooler. I use it for bringing my Kielbasa into work. Strangely enough, the incidents of lunch theft have gone down.

De'Longhi PACAN140HPEWC Whisper Cool Portable Air Conditioner
De'Longhi PACAN140HPEWC Whisper Cool Portable Air Conditioner
Offered by Fun Stuff For Sale
Price: $693.46
12 used & new from $658.82

2.0 out of 5 stars Great AC/Heating Unit Hampered by Poor Design Decisions, July 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a fantastic AC/heating/dehumidifying unit. Unfortunately, it has some very poor design decisions.

First off, as a unit, this unit puts off an impressive amount of cooling capacity for the rated room size of 500 square feet. While I'm not able to test the dehumidifying aspect of the unit (I live in Arizona), it also does a fair job of taking dust out of the air as my wife (who normally suffers from any small amount of dust in a room) was noticeably better after having the unit on for over 2 hours.

However, there are some cons...some pretty big ones, in my opinion:

1) Whoever came up with the window bracket for the exhaust vent has no concept of "energy efficiency." Seriously, the window bracket can't be much more than an 1/8" in thickness. When it's over 100 degrees outside, I was hoping for something with a little more thickness to help keep the outside heat out.

2) Second problem with the window bracket: it's not long enough. Sure, they show a picture of this thing being used horizontally, but our windows open horizontally (therefore there is a vertical opening) and are about 5' tall vertically. The problem with this is that even with the extension bracket, it still comes out to be over 6" too short to cover the full height of the window. While I can block the remaining gap with a block of wood or piece of cardboard (pretty!), one should expect more from a $700 unit.

3) Speaking again on energy efficiency, the exhaust hose and the assembly connecting to the unit and the window bracket are plastic. While this may not seem to be a big deal, try putting your hand on any of these elements and you'll realize that they are radiating a fair amount of heat. I'm trying to cool a room down without trying to spend even more money by compensating for the heat being put off by the exhaust system. A more energy-efficient hose (i.e., with INSULATION) would certainly be helpful and, again, justify the $700 expense.

On the noise front, the "whisper" feature does noticeably reduce the noise put off by the unit, but I'd say that it's about 10 dB to be fair. Unless you're cooling down a room to something 10-20 degrees cooler than outside, the fan speed is still going to put off a fair amount of noise. However, I'd say that you could sleep to it and the white noise would be quite soothing.

The unit does come with a remote which is handy and also utilizes a filter. There's also a tray to drain condensation moisture or any other additional moisture arising from its dehumidification.

It's such a shame that this fairly well-designed unit has such poorly designed exhaust hosing and window brackets. I'd give it 4 stars if it weren't for those detractors. Also, if your window opening is less than about 4', than this unit may suit you fairly well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20