Profile for L. Gildart > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 293

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

L. Gildart RSS Feed (Somerville, MA USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Monica The Monkey Saves The Day: Deal With Bullies / Respect Differences For Young Children (Jungle Juniors Storybook Book 2)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet!, November 22, 2014
This is another sweet book about dealing with difficult social situations.

The illustrations are just adorable, and the message couldn't be more on point. If you are looking to reinforce your child's sense of self in the face of unkind behavior from others, or if you are trying to teach your child to be more tolerant (without coming off as intolerant yourself), this is a good reading choice.

Pokémon Omega Ruby - Nintendo 3DS
Pokémon Omega Ruby - Nintendo 3DS
Price: $39.99
22 used & new from $39.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving This One, November 22, 2014
I am enjoying this much more than the original version, and I LOVED my GBA back in the day (still have it!). Here, in no particular order, are the things I love most:

1. The game loads quickly - even with beautiful graphics, there isn't much waiting between scenes and no lag at all during game play. In fact, there is nothing whatsoever to "encourage" me to buy the newer model 3DS. Everything is snappy and efficient.

2. Beautiful graphics and lovely use of 3D. Plus, retro looking gameplay and gear on the bottom screen.

3. Additions to story mode, game play, and pokemon themselves that make the reissue fun and exciting and new. This is a big improvement over the Heart Gold Soul Silver reissues!

4. The music sounds great!

FWIW, I am a fan. I have liked all of the pokemon handheld games - even B/W 1/2 - so I am not the games' harshest critic by any means, but here is a rough ranking of my favorites to not-favorites so that you can, I don't know, I guess form an opinion of my opinion and get an idea whether you will like this game as much as I do:

1. X/Y -> great story, great use of 3D graphics, exciting additions to game play + keeping what works about predecessors

2. Diamond/Pearl/Platinum -> Same as above, but without 3D, the addition of easy trading and good wifi really reinvigorated the game,

3. GBC R/B/Y -> love. I am still emotionally attached to the mew and kangaskhan I got from the glitches. Also, I wish the game would go back to letting you have a pikachu follow you everywhere.

4. Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald -> Beautiful for the time + great story.

5. Fire Red Leaf Green Gold Silver Crystal -> I liked all of these, but they never felt as new to me as the games above did.

6. B/W 1/2 -> man, those pokemon were funny-looking, and the story was confusing. It took me a long long time to finish those games, because, really? why? Eventually, I finished them to have the pokemon for X/Y.

First Alert PA100 Personal Security Alarm with Flashlight
First Alert PA100 Personal Security Alarm with Flashlight
Price: $23.81
31 used & new from $14.98

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Little Thing To Have, November 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First, let me say that this works great as a bag alarm. It's easy to set up, and it's not likely to go off without reason. (That said, I seriously would not use this as a bag alarm. The idea of walking away from my valuables in public is just a big old no-no for me, but I can see the use of this feature for lots of other people.)

I tested all of the other functions with the following findings:

The door alarm feature works as expected. Not too sensitive (at least not in my home), and triggers just fine. The delay function is super helpful. It will wake you up, if you are sleeping. The light is bright enough to be helpful, and the panic alarm is loud. In the city, an alarm is not as likely as one would wish to summon help, but this thing is plenty loud enough to make a bad-intentioned person want to run away.

It's not a perfect deterrent, but it is pretty handy and lots better than a whistle.

The Damascus Chronicles: Denizens of the Night
The Damascus Chronicles: Denizens of the Night
Price: $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Visual and Exciting, November 19, 2014
This should be adapted as an anime. There is a sweet visit from the exposition fairy that catches up readers like me who missed the first installment of this series, but, after that, the book careens from frying pan to fire to nonstop conflagration. Honestly, I was a little exhausted, not necessarily in a bad way - : ) but I kept thinking about what a great animated series this would make. It reminded me, stylistically - not so much storywise - of Code Geass, Lelouche of the Rebellion.

Daniels makes great use of cliffhangers, and, if you love excitement and vampires (think more Vampire chronicles, less sparkly woobie creatures), this is a series worth trying.

Millennium - The Complete Second Season
Millennium - The Complete Second Season
DVD ~ Lance Henriksen
Price: $28.34
10 used & new from $23.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Season of a Great Series, November 18, 2014
This, really, is the season to own from this series if you can own only one. In season one, the mythology is a bit muddled, and the show never seems quite clear on whether it is a crime procedural, with a bit of ESP, or something deeper and more sinister. In season two, the show hits its stride, clarifies its purpose, and knocks it out of the park episode after episode culminating in a two part finale that is, no kidding, some of the best tv ever made.

I recommend this show, and particularly, this season to anyone who enjoys Bad Robot shows, especially Fringe. It's hit or miss for X-Files fans. It kind of depends on why you liked that one. If Scully-Mulder shipping was the reason, you might not be on board with this. If it was the mystery/mythology that drew you in, then you will probably love this.

Corsair Gaming M65 RGB FPS PC Gaming Laser Mouse, White (CH-9000071-NA)
Corsair Gaming M65 RGB FPS PC Gaming Laser Mouse, White (CH-9000071-NA)
Price: $69.99
22 used & new from $69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Performance and Quality, November 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great gaming mouse. Everything about it feels great, and it is so much more accurate than anything I used before (mostly Logitech). I'm not the great gamer in the family, so I asked my thirteen year old son to try it out, and he said he was WOW-ed. Get it? Then, he gave me an earful about the touch top mouse I gave him a few weeks ago. <sigh>

The buttons are tight but not stiff, and the scroll wheel has very very definite action. The material it's made from is grippy but without tackiness. Zero latency. None. You think, and the action happens.

The only problem is that now my son wants to upgrade his gaming computer.

NOTE: This will work as a basic mouse with a Mac, but you won't get any of the special functions. There are non-Corsair drivers available on the internet to make it work as a gaming mouse if OS X gaming is your thing.

Holmes Smart Wifi-Enabled WeMo Whole Home Humidifier, HCM3888C-AMZ
Holmes Smart Wifi-Enabled WeMo Whole Home Humidifier, HCM3888C-AMZ
Offered by True Value of Mountain City
Price: $227.54
5 used & new from $189.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good - Could Be a Little Smarter, November 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Winter humidifying is a must in Massachusetts, especially if you have musical instruments. My husband is a professional musician, and my son plays upright bass. We've had trouble, though, with units that leave big wet messes on the wood floors or that don't do much at all. This seemed to be the case whether I was using a small, one room humidifier or a big whole house model.

I was intrigued by the WeMo capabilities of this humidifier - I mean, I love my WeMo devices, but I had never really considered a WeMo humidifier. You still have to fill it, right? And change the filters? Well, yeah, but if you are scatterbrained, like me, you will appreciate the ability to turn the unit on or off or up or down from wherever you happen to be when you remember. Also, you can check your filter life, which, for me, is another item I tend to forget until I am far away from the humidifier itself.

However, there is no way, currently to integrate the humidifier with other WeMo devices, such as a thermostat. It would be nice to be able, for example, to set the humidifier to turn itself up a notch when the heat kicks on. Also, I had a few glitchy moments with the app on my iPhone, but that seems to happen frequently with smart devices. In any case, the humidifier seems to be connecting reliably, which is a plus.

As for the humidifier itself: you can use this without the wifi. It works great as a humidifier and doesn't make a huge mess. It is big and loud, though, and kind of ugly unless you like faux wood. Which I actually do - it seems period appropriate with my mostly mid century modern-inspired furniture.

I would give this five stars if it were just a little bit smarter(could adjust itself based on changes in the environment or in the status of other WeMo devices) and/or a little less expensive. As it is, I give it a very solid four stars with room for improvement.

Zeetron LED Light up Charge Sync Cable For iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 5S, 5C, 5, iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPad Mini 2, Mini, iPod 5th Gen Retail Packaging (Lightning)
Offered by Zeetron

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, November 13, 2014
This is a good quality cable that appears to be the same gauge as the cable that came with my iPad. It also is well-reinforced at the header and usb connector.

Normally, I don't get excited about cables. I just want them to do their job and last awhile. But this one has an led charging indicator built in, and I really like it. The charging indicator works great and looks nice. AND it is a good visual cue for my son, who never check to see whether my device is charged before swapping in his own device.

WTG, Zeetron!

Nutrition 101: The Ultimate Guide On How To Lose Weight And Feel Great With Nutrition 101
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Guide, November 10, 2014
This book has been a helpful resource for me. I rarely have issues with my weight, but my son and my husband both struggle a bit. My son, who is 13, is interested in changing his habits to try to avoid some of the health issues on my husband's side of the family, and, before I checked out this book, I was absolutely opposed to letting him even think about trying to build muscle or lose weight.

I don't want him body-shaming himself, and I don't want him dieting.

But there isn't any of that in this book. It's just solid information presented in an easy to follow format, and it is about eating right, not dieting. There's nothing earth-shattering in here, but it's all valid and helpful and, most of all, safe.

Organic Peppermint Essential Oil 100% Pure -- HUGE 4 fl oz (118ml) -- Sun Organic
Offered by Prime Time Commerce
2 used & new from $8.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product that Would Benefit From Better Labeling, November 10, 2014
I am giving this product four stars instead of five, even though I like it very much, because of confusing labeling. The name of the product seems to imply that it is organic, but I do not think it is. Also, the labeling for the product recommends it for diffuser use, but not expressly for any other uses. I use peppermint oil with tea tree oil and peroxide or rubbing alcohol or white vinegar in various home cleaning products that I make myself, so I am guessing those uses are fine.

However, I am wondering about the topical use disclaimer, as many many people use peppermint in homemade massage oils or liniments. Also there is zero indication of how this oil was extracted. Word to the wise? Some companies may extract essential oils with benzene. Not good. I do not think that is how this oil is extracted, because the quality appears to be excellent, and the scent doesn't have the afternoons of many cheap alternatives; however, additional information and guidance on the label would be quite helpful.

Finally, this is almost certainly not food grade, so don't put it in tea or toothpaste, and don't put much on your skin. It is great in diffusing humidifiers/vaporizers if you get stuffed up from winter dryness or have a cold. It is also great to just sniff a little, if you are trying to eat less or need to improve your alertness.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20