Profile for I. Printz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

I. Printz RSS Feed (Atlanta, GA United States)

The Commons: Book 1: The Journeyman
The Commons: Book 1: The Journeyman
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, June 22, 2014
This novel combines the best of magical realism and quest genres. The characters are richly drawn and the plot is tight and suspenseful - I forgot to breath for long stretches of time and some of the imagery will haunt me for quite some time. I inhaled this book in two sittings, and can't wait for future instalments!

Sewing For Dummies
Sewing For Dummies
by Jan Saunders Maresh
80 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not for "dummies", November 25, 2007
This review is from: Sewing For Dummies (Paperback)
I usually LOVE the dummies series and find it very useful for new subjects I want to just dive into. This book is useful, but not as a first reference for someone who has never done more than the occasional needle-and-thread wobbly patching most of us did in College.

The good:
1. Very thorough subject coverage - everything from clothing to arts & crafts, to home decor (in fact, I think if they broke this up into two books - one for clothing only, and one for the rest, they would have done themselves a big favor).
2. The step descriptions are broken down into mini-steps very well (I think).

The bad:
1. hardly any illustrations at all. Where there are illustrations, they are very basic, mostly restricted to the type of stitch described rather than an illustration of the step-by-step process.
2. the level of terminology-knowledge assumed by the book is insanely high for beginners.
3. There is insufficient internal cross referencing - the writers seem to assume you will read the book from cover to cover in the right order, and that you will remember everything you learned from one chapter to the next.
4. The section on "Quick fixes and alterations" which is boasted about in the book description is far from comprehensive, and the steps described are skimpy - largely without internal references to where within the book these steps are described.

This will be a great 2nd book, I think. But until I reach that level I'll have to find something else.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2008 11:08 AM PDT

The Book of Psalms: A Translation with Commentary
The Book of Psalms: A Translation with Commentary
by Robert Alter
Price: $25.84
81 used & new from $8.98

5.0 out of 5 stars As always, Alter excels., November 13, 2007
Robert Alter's books are always a sure bet. Easy to read, wonderful teaching tools, and great at making you think.

For those who enjoy this book, you should also check out Rabbi Martin Cohen's "Our Haven and Our Strength" - another original translation and commentary of the book of psalms that is completely different in approach and final product from Alter's book.
Our Haven and Our Strength: The Book of Psalms

Cannot tell you what a delight it is to have both to play with!

by Martin Samuel Cohen
Price: $11.39
10 used & new from $6.75

5.0 out of 5 stars translation and commentary that makes you think, November 13, 2007
Rabbi Cohen translated the entire book of psalms for this project. His translations rarely match other, more conventional and perhaps better known, translations. However, his work springs from a deep well of knowledge. He is simply a fantastic scholar (one who also writes fun Jewishly-slanted fiction. Check out "sword of Golliath" or "Heads you lose" - my two favorites).

"Our Haven and our Strength" is a MUST addition to the library of anyone who enjoys the many ways a psalm could be understood, as well as to the libraries of serious scholars of comparative religious lit. Either way, Rabbi Cohen's interpretations will make you pause - and think. Cannot recommend it enough.

Brother DCP-110c Color Flatbed Multi-Function Center
Brother DCP-110c Color Flatbed Multi-Function Center

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, August 16, 2007
I owned this printer for a year and a half. It finally died last week so I was actually motivated enough to get another one. The scanner never worked (tech support couldn't figure it out, and since I don't use a scanner all that often I let it go). As others mentioned, the LCD is terrible. Had to view it from the side while shielding the screen from the other side. Paper jams were frequent. And if one color cartridge was empty, the printer wouldn't work at all (even on B&W setting). Others mentioned good color prints - but I never managed to get good ones even with excellent paper and brother brand ink (and, yes, I do take good photos). However, it did an outstanding job on B&W photographs - crisp with great contrast. And it was useful for printing last minute stuff for work when I was only done said stuff at 3am and it was due at 8. This time, I did my homework before buying a printer...