Profile for Crilen > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Crilen RSS Feed (SHAKER HEIGHTS, OHIO United States)

Avengers: Age Of Ultron
Avengers: Age Of Ultron
Price: $8.99
34 used & new from $7.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Danny Elman Remains the King of Superhero Soundtracks, May 23, 2015
This review is from: Avengers: Age Of Ultron (Audio CD)
I could hear that there was something special about this soundtrack as I watched the film in the theatre. When I saw Danny Elfman's name, I completely understood why. It's a wonderful fusion of all of the Avengers and Marvel cinematic themes fused to the rhythms of that original wonderful Danny Elfman Batman engine. These days, soundtracks are becoming increasingly generic and forgettable. This brooding, surging heroic masterpiece is not one of those. Enjoy a great work from the original superhero master.

Superman: The Animated Series-Original Soundtrack Recording (4 CD Collectors Edition)
Price: $96.32
11 used & new from $47.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Music But Where's Metallo?, June 11, 2014
By no means can I criticize the magnificent music on this limited edition 4 CD set. It's wonderful that someone even considers releasing soundtrack music that has a fairly narrow market appeal. However, I was a bit stunned that over 4 cds of animated Superman music, somehow they managed to omit the music that runs through my head the most whenever I think of the Superman Animated series. That's the menacing and relentless theme music of Metallo. When I saw this CD set available that theme was the first thing I thought of and I just assumed it would be included. I literally watched a Metallo episode a couple of months ago just to enjoy that troubling mechanical score. Maybe it's just me but as a big fan of this series it was a shocking and glaring omission. Oh well. Enjoy what we've got. The music that's here is fantastic.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2015 12:32 PM PDT

Evening With Chick Corea & Her
Evening With Chick Corea & Her
Offered by IMS Distribution
Price: $13.22
35 used & new from $5.14

1.0 out of 5 stars Truncated La Fiesta Unforgivable!, May 24, 2014
I loved the vinyl version of this record so much I was ecstatic to see it on CD. For me the COMPLETE version of "La Fiesta" was the highlight of this wonderful double album set. When I purchased the CD I reverently placed the disc in my CD player, turned up the volume on my stereo, laid down in the middle of the living room floor, closed my eyes and prepared myself to be immersed in piano duet heaven. To my horror "La Fiesta's" long beautiful introduction was abruptly followed by a sudden ill-timed conclusion. The entire guts of this beautiful brilliant piece had been butchered out.
The original album version of La Fiesta is 15:17. This CD version is a barbarically mutilated 8:11. Do not allow yourself to be cheated out of the full and wonderful version of this performance until it is restored in its splendid entirety.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 22, 2015 7:51 AM PST

Batman: The Animated Series (Vol. 2)
Batman: The Animated Series (Vol. 2)
Offered by skyvo-direct-usa
Price: $83.78
13 used & new from $62.99

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST SUPERHERO SOUNDTRACK OF ALL-TIME: THANK YOU!, August 22, 2013
When the original limited edition CD came out I was both overjoyed and yet felt a little cheated. The first release was wonderfully comprehensive with respect to the episodic music that was selected. However after a couple listens, my insatiable response was "where's the rest?" Well, here it is! My fear was that due to limited demand or declining interest this music would never be released. Instead my greatest musical soundtrack dreams are now realized. Haven't been this happy since I was stunned by the brilliant release of The Flash soundtrack. It's amazing how major motion pictures struggle to compose appropriate scores for their gzillion dollar monstrosities. Yet (along with unparalleled animated story telling brilliance) Batman the Animated Series gave us the greatest Batman depiction along with absolutely wonderful music five days a week, we've ever heard. (Still can't quite make out what the droning drumbeats in the Dark Knight films were trying to accomplish). Shirley Walker and company's Danny Elfman inspired music captures the complete orchestral essence of the Bat like nothing ever has!

Wonderful! Thank you!

The Taming Of The Shrew (Music From The Original 1967 Motion Picture Sountrack)
The Taming Of The Shrew (Music From The Original 1967 Motion Picture Sountrack)

2.0 out of 5 stars Canst Thou Not Digitally Remaster?, August 21, 2012
I love the music from this film. Let me say it again: I LOVE THE MUSIC FROM THIS FILM! Without a moment's notice I hum and sing this music...instinctively, because it so fully captures the energy, humor and joy of the play and the performances of Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor at their zenith. So it's painful, in an age where every musical recording of the last sixty years has been digitally remastered, that this music still sounds like it was all recorded with a single handheld microphone from 1967. Tinny, fuzzy, monotone and tragically indistinct, the brilliance of this soundtrack remains imprisoned by the slothful neglect of its caretakers.

If you're truly desperate to hear this music in any form, have at it. But if you really want to hear this music in the full range of its original glory, don't reward the producers of this wretched recording with your money. Demand that they fix it first. "Where is the life...?" Not in this version to be certain.

The Mothership Returns [2 CD/DVD Combo]
The Mothership Returns [2 CD/DVD Combo]
Offered by megahitrecords
Price: $20.10
32 used & new from $14.94

5.0 out of 5 stars WHERE NO BAND HAS GONE BEFORE, June 30, 2012
There's no greater joy in music than seeing musicians you've loved for nearly forty years play better in their 60's and 70's than when you first discovered them. Unlike pro athletes where we can only enjoy their prime for a decade if we're lucky, great musicians continue to grow and expand until their final breaths. I remember seeing Buddy Rich come creeping onto the old Tonight Show set in the 1980s and thinking "c'mon...really?" Then old Buddy settled down behind the drum set in his leisure suit and proceeded to blow the lid off the joint. I was amazed then. I'm even more amazed now that "my guys" have hit that stage in their careers and are still bringing it better than they ever have on "The Mothership Returns".

I read one critical comment that questioned the resurrection of old compositions. Do we criticize a brilliant pianist for resurrecting Rachmaninoff or Tchaikovsky? We're not talking about tunes from the bubble gum pop music factory which are time-locked in relevance by the churn of musical fads on the Billboard charts. Return To Forever and their musical contemporaries created dynamic compositions of unparalleled complexity and beauty which remain unrivaled to this day.

Like the recent releases of "Returns" and "Forever" these magnificent musicians expand and improve upon their former works by the sheer preponderance of new arrangements combined with their ingeniously exponential growth as expansive artists. Disc 1 of "Returns" and disc 2 of "Mothership" combine to deliver the finest live performances in the history of the genre. Admittedly, disc 1 of "Mothership" (for whatever reason) does start out sounding a bit labored with the updated version of "Medieval Overture". Unexplainable considering the sheer brilliance of the remainder of the album. Like a great Major League trade, Frank Gambale and Jean-Luc Ponty more than compensate for the absence of Al DiMeola. Gambale holds his own. But then you hear the introduction of Ponty's violin into the rhythmic blend and all you can do is shake your head in joyful disbelief at the mystically adventuresome results. The dueling solos between Ponty and Chick Corea on "School Days" highlight the best live recording of Stanley Clarke's signature song ever heard. It's unbelievable. Moreover, it's a musical privilege to revel in it.

The highlight amid countless highlights for me was Stanley Clarke's solo on "After the Cosmic Rain". I've been a Stanley Clarke fan for nearly forty years. I buy the good stuff and the bad stuff like he's a relative. I've marveled over the decades as he's added new innovations to his Hall of Fame finger arsenal. It's been like enjoying 40 years of a mythical version of Michael Jordan growing and expanding without diminish of his core brilliance. Then in one single marvelous solo Stanley unleashes a fresh career's summation of power, virtuosity, speed, beauty and passion the likes of which I'd never heard before. I'm just getting to the point where I can listen to it without getting emotional thanking God I lived long enough to hear the world's greatest bass player play out so magnificently! It was similar to that moment during Chick's acoustic "Senor Mouse" piano solo on "Forever" where you're having that Moses moment staring into the burning bush of jazz perfection.

If you love boundless musical artistry in the hands of the most dominant and creative virtuosos of the last half century, this live album is the joy of the craft.

Oh,and Happy Birthday Stanley! Can't wait for what comes next.

The Flash [TV Soundtrack]
The Flash [TV Soundtrack]
Offered by skyvo-direct-usa
Price: $37.24
13 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Miraculous FLASHback Classic!, June 14, 2010
If you had ever told me that this wonderful music would be commercially released I would have dropped to my knees and wept with joy. It seemed so improbable for this single season sensation cursed by network television scheduling and the backlash of a poor Dick Tracy film on the heels of live action Batmania! I figured the best I could ever hope for were the opening and closing tracks I recorded from the credits of the old Japanese Laserdiscs I purchased 15 years ago. Who would have dreamed that someone would open up the vaults and release nearly 150 minutes of raw, unbridled Flash/Shirley Walker energy?

There's so much great music here it's almost too much of a good thing. It's like asking for a slice of your favorite chocolate cake and getting a lifetime gift card to the chocolate cake factory instead.

The insert boasts of Shirley Walker's incredible range and it is surely on display here. We get innumerable variations on the classic, racing, pulsing Flash theme throughout the two discs. But there's also the clean foray into classic 40's swing with recurring versions of Megan Lockhart's detective theme. Signy Coleman's unforgettably sensual jazzy bad girl music from "Done with Mirrors" lays out beautifully. There's the heavy industrial techno themes of that alternate future Central City from "Flash Forward". And of course there are several cuts of quirky, lurky, playfully insane Trickster tracks foreshadowing Mark Hamill's eventual transition into Batman's animated Joker.

All that said, I'm still nerd enough to notice that some fantastic tracks from "Goodnight Central City" were omitted. And at times there are minor nondescript tracks (particularly from the pilot) that just don't advance the cause. But a complaint would be the height of ingratitude for a treasure trough of truly priceless soundtrack music I thought I'd never get to hear.

THANK YOU!

Let Me Know You
Let Me Know You
13 used & new from $21.15

1.0 out of 5 stars BASSIC WASTE OF TALENT, March 6, 2007
This review is from: Let Me Know You (Audio CD)
I love Stanley Clarke and have witnessed and proclaimed Stanley the greatest electric bassist in history for over 30 years. But this album was far and away the biggest waste of talent imaginable and Stanley's WORST ALBUM EVER.

As was my custom, I snatched up this album 25 years ago sight unheard. It was Stanley. I didn't need any reviews. How bad could it be? Stanley appearing on the cover in his white "puffy shirt" trying to look like a sexy lover should have been my first warning. This was his first solo effort after the huge pop success of the original Clarke-Duke Project. Stanley was now ready for MTV (or actually BET in those days) so he thought. Unfortunately, the barrage of howling Stanley vocals and unimaginative pop singles left me sad more than mad. And I still played it over and over again trying to glean something from the short finger popping bass solos that kept melting back into shallow meaningless lyrics.

The biggest disappointment of all was that no less than the great Carlos Santana appears on two tracks. Carlos and Stanley in the same studio! Yet the best they could come up with was "whoa, whoa, whoa, I just wanna be your bruh-tha". Sorry, no awesome stunning instrumental duets, kids. We're singing for teenie boppers this time around. An absolutely heart wrenching waste of musical immortals. There is one slow sleepy instrumental on the album. But surrounded by the rest of the junk on this record even that song with its over-orchestrated background accompaniment is a snoozer.

Fortunately Stanley bounced back with his next solo album "Time Exposure" which syphoned energy from Herbie Hancock's "Rock-It" success, but also gave us some wonderful extended solo work and duets with the likes of Jeff Beck, Louis Johnson and Howard Hewitt rescuing the vocals. Even Stanley's final foray into the solo pop scene, 1985's "Find Out" was better than "Let Me Know You".

If you really love Stanley Clarke, better you don't remember him this way. However, if you're a fan who just has to know how bad a record your favorite bass player could put out...you have been warned.

Batman: The Mystery of the Batwoman
Batman: The Mystery of the Batwoman
DVD ~ Kevin Conroy
Offered by mirmedia_movies_and_music
Price: $4.14
47 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A VERY GOOD INSTALLMENT!, April 10, 2004
I almost didn't buy this DVD because of all the whining I was reading about storyline, animation, etc. The WB Batman animated series appears to be a victim of the incredibly high standards it set in the early 1990's as the best super hero animated series of all-time. Now, anything that doesn't rise to the perfection of those first few seasons gets a bad rap.
The story was excellent as usual. The writing was fantastic. There were several scenes including a beat up body guard who very discreetly declined a second confrontation with the Dark Knight, that was absolutely hilarious. The uncredited use of Halle Berry's image definitely added to the glamour and mystique of the beautiful stable of animated Batman females. The choice of villains could have been better however. The animated Penguin never did measure up to the other animated Batman villains. (Burgess Meredith, where art thou?) And who really cares about Ruppert Thorne other than he's actually Dean Wormer in mob pin-stripes? But I guess you can't bring back the Joker EVERY TIME (or can you?).
Overall a great installment and must-see for anyone who loved the original series. I thoroughly enjoyed it!