Profile for Two_Wheeler_UJM > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 35

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Two_Wheeler_UJM "A very frugal gadgeteer" RSS Feed (Florida)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
SYLVANIA H11 XtraVision Halogen Headlight Bulb, (Pack of 2)
SYLVANIA H11 XtraVision Halogen Headlight Bulb, (Pack of 2)
Price: $16.72
10 used & new from $13.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent replacement bulb for late model vehicles, December 22, 2014
Replaced an 11 month old Osram Nightbreaker plus, limited hours on the bulb since my vehicle does not use headlights for daytime running lights and most driving is daylight. Light output seemed similar. Good value for two bulbs, half the cost of the other ones. I hope they last longer than 11 months. Will update if they fail before then.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product and good value, December 14, 2014
Worked as described. Used the alternative suggested items in another review here to save a few dollars.

Winegard FlatWave Amped Indoor Amplified HDTV Antenna (FL5500Y)
Winegard FlatWave Amped Indoor Amplified HDTV Antenna (FL5500Y)
Offered by TechNGnet
Price: $58.95
9 used & new from $54.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than an older amplified rabbit ear antenna, December 14, 2014
I used this on a Dish Network DVR with add-in digital tuner. Using the same antenna, this tuner did not receive channels as well as a newer-model LED TV tuner. With the older antenna, the weakest channel would cut out every few minutes, making it difficult to watch shows. This antenna was easy to install and use, the 18.5 foot long cord made it easy to mount it on the window and run it across the room to the DVR. I found that the placement on the window was critical for optimal signal strength. Just a few inches higher or lower would make the difference between a 70 and an 89 according to the on-screen display. After using this for about an hour, I found I still got a signal cutout, but it was brief and only twice in an hour vs. about every 5-10 minutes with the older antenna.

The command strips to hold the antenna are too small in my opinion, the antenna fell down a few minutes after mounting it. I'd suggest getting a couple of extra strips to hold it or finding a means to take the load off where the cord attaches to the antenna. I ended up using additional command strips I had to hold it in place.

TP-LINK TD-8616 ADSL2+ Modem, Up to 24Mbps Downstream Bandwidth, 6KV Lightning Protection
Offered by Hyde Park Tech
Price: Click here to see our price
72 used & new from $16.50

3.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE- died after just 7 months, April 10, 2014
After a 50% hike in the cost of wireless Internet with no added benefit, I needed to find an alternative. We are in a bad location for pretty much anything, and wireless internet had been a decent alternative until the price hike. Satellite had too many restrictions for no cost savings, so we checked with Centurylink and they said we could get 512k DSL service for less than half the cost of wireless, and with no data limit.

The cost of the Centurylink modem was excessive in my opinion, and since it was not required, I shopped and found great reviews on this one, which had an incredibly low price. It took about a week to arrive, and was plug & play out of the box. Being tech-savvy, I didn't need instructions. There are some brief written instructions that come with the modem, and the box has a picture/diagram on the rear that shows where everything goes & what the controls do. After plugging it in, it took a few minutes to detect the DSL settings. I used the suggestions from the most helpful review here to update the firmware (version 7 in my case, the label on the bottom will tell you which version you have). I then used the internal diagnostics page on the modem and found that setting "PVC0" (0/35) failed 2 tests and setting "PVC1" (8/35) passed all 4. Neither made any difference in my download speed, which was around 450k, so I left it on PVC1.

Since our landline wiring was converted to make use of a flat rate phone service when we dropped Centurylink in the past, I had to connect the modem to my router in an equipment room where the incoming landline wire terminated so the house phone wiring remained useable for the flat rate phone service and the cordless phones we use with it. The TD-8616 connects to a router's WAN port and allows Internet just as our wireless modem did.

I'd recommend this modem for anyone needing DSL service.

UPDATE November 2014- reduced to three stars
We had a cold snap and a brownout apparently due to people using heaters. Although the unit was on a surge protector, apparently this did it in. It lit up but would not connect, nor could I connect to it using a laptop. When I tried to ping it, the reply was hardware failure. I read a review about someone replacing capacitors in the version 6, this unit was version 7 and did not have as many capacitors. I did not go that route, instead I purchased a Netgear DM111PSP locally to get back online and then another TP-Link since they are cheap- that way I have a another unit to have as a backup.

Esky EC170-06 World Smallest HD Color CCD Waterproof Vehicle Car Rear View Backup Camera, 170 Degree Viewing Angle Rearview Camera(0.86*0.65*0.50 inch)
Offered by Hisgadget Inc
Price: $19.99
5 used & new from $15.67

5.0 out of 5 stars A good camera for the price, March 12, 2014
Since I was installing a navigation deck in my 1995 Corvette, "while I was at it", I installed a rear view camera. This was a necessity in my last car, a late model Challenger due to limited visibility. Admittedly it's more of a gadget for the Corvette. Since the price was so low, I picked up both guideline and no guideline models. This review is for the smallest guideline model.

As other reviewers have found, the view is not 170 degrees. I have my camera mounted above the license plate which is in a cove, but the camera lens is flush with the outside of the cove, so there is no obstruction. It activates & is powered from the nearby reverse lamp socket.

I found the angle needed to be adjusted down considerably. Once properly aligned, the guidelines when tested would allow me about 1.5 feet to the bumper for green, under a foot for yellow, and a couple of inches for red, so they work well.

The picture is a little grainy at night, but that is to be expected for a non-IR camera. During the daytime, the picture quality is good. My 7" screen resolution is 800x480.

The camera has not been exposed to rain, so I cannot advise on the waterproof aspect.

I would suggest this model or the non-guideline model for anyone looking for a decent inexpensive camera.

2 Pcs Car 1156 BA15S 1206 68-SMD LED Tail Brake Backup White Light Bulbs
2 Pcs Car 1156 BA15S 1206 68-SMD LED Tail Brake Backup White Light Bulbs
Offered by ZYHW Shop
Price: $6.99
3 used & new from $5.78

2.0 out of 5 stars Won't fit in some GM sockets, not really that bright, March 12, 2014
I picked up a couple of these 1156 models to meet free shipping minimums. I tested them in the reverse lamp sockets of a 1995 Corvette, and found the base of the bulb (where the LED part meets the metal part) flares out and will not go all the way into the socket. They would push in, but not twist. Since I didn't want to modify my sockets, I tried one just by pushing it in to compare it to the existing 1156 bulb (if used like this, the bulb would vibrate out in a matter of minutes). My admittedly subjective difference in brightness in a dark garage was noticeable. I then tested with both LED bulbs. The only positive here was that the cool white output made the picture in my reverse camera a little better, but that is a moot point since the bulbs cannot be fully installed.

I would not recommend these to anyone with a 90's era GM car due to fitment problems.

Wolo (320-2T) Maxi Sound Universal Horn
Wolo (320-2T) Maxi Sound Universal Horn
Price: $22.88
28 used & new from $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all around for a 1995 Corvette, March 12, 2014
My Corvette was purchased well used. The horns were in need of replacement, and I was not looking for anything other than the stock sound and sound level. I shopped and read reviews and found these. I needed horns with two terminals so I could use my factory wiring. Some horns only have one terminal and use a ground for the other side. They were great in almost all respects- price, fit, and sound. My sole critique is that the mounting stud is too short, but I was able to work around it. The remainder deals with how I installed the horns.

The supplied mounting brackets (4) are cheap and very thin (1/32" or .03") so I didn't want to use them. Additionally, the factory brackets have a mounting tab to help support the horn. Since the old horns were spot-welded to the bracket, I was able to cut off the old mounting brackets and use an existing hole in the driver side to mount the horn, which has a 6mm x 1.0 thread stud. The stud is really too short for the thicker Chevy brackets, but since the hole was larger than needed, the lock washer sunk into it partway. On the passenger side, I had enough metal to drill a 1/4" hole. I could not use the supplied 6mm nut and lock washer, so I used a 6mm flange nut I had on hand.

For wiring, I picked up a couple of Delphi Metri-pack 150 female housings (Delphi #12162343), 2x locks (#12052634), 4x mating terminals (15344867) and 4x seals (#15324973). This allowed me to plug in the horns to the factory wiring. The horn kit comes with two black wires with .250 female terminals on one end and ring terminals on the other. There are extra .250 female terminals in the horn kit plus vinyl covers for them. I cut off the ring terminals and cut a pair of dark green GXL automotive-grade wires so the color would match the factory wiring. I crimped & soldered the male Metri-pack terminals to one end of the green wire, and a loose .250 female with vinyl cover to the other. Plugging in the green wires to the "B" side of the housings and the black wire to the "A" side gave me plug & play horns.

Overall I'm really pleased with the sound and fit. You can't beat it for under $25 delivered (I was over the minimum for free shipping due to other parts).

Raybestos 565-1422 Professional Grade Control Arm Bushing
Raybestos 565-1422 Professional Grade Control Arm Bushing

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what my truck needed, amazing price, March 6, 2014
I was doing some front end work on my truck, and saw the control arm bushing was worn out. Shopping for a new one, I saw they were anywhere from 30-60 dollars online and local. I was amazed to find this one new here on Amazon for about 7 bucks.

It was complete with inner steel sleeve, and once I pressed out the old bushing and cleaned the control arm, it slid right in.

Shipping was reasonably fast, so it was a great deal all the way around.

HELLA HLA-H83140141 H4 12V 100/55W Halogen Bulb Off Road Use
HELLA HLA-H83140141 H4 12V 100/55W Halogen Bulb Off Road Use
Price: $9.78
29 used & new from $3.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Used witht he E-Code 003427011 headlamp, February 11, 2014
I installed these on an almost 20 year old Corvette when I replaced my H6054 sealed beams with a pair of the Hella 003427011 E-Code headlamps. The difference was like night & day. The added wattage on the high beam really worked in this headlamp. In my case, there was no need for any relays or rewiring.

HELLA 003427011 190 x 132mm Series H4 Type Single High/Low Beam Headlamp
HELLA 003427011 190 x 132mm Series H4 Type Single High/Low Beam Headlamp
Price: $43.70
9 used & new from $43.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Literally night & day, February 11, 2014
I installed these along with the Hella HLA-H83140141 100/55W H4 bulbs on a nearly 20 year old Corvette. After aligning them for height, the difference was indeed night & day. I liken the old H6054 sealed beams to two flashlights pointed about 25 feet in front of the car, these are like floodlights on my side of the road. Being E-Code, they have the proper beam cutoff so as not to blind oncoming traffic. The high beam added wattage works very well with this housing. They were indeed a 15 minute plug & play installation.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4