Profile for J. Reynolds > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Reynolds RSS Feed (Portland, OR USA)

BOOM Urchin Ready 4 Anything Bluetooth Speaker (Black)
BOOM Urchin Ready 4 Anything Bluetooth Speaker (Black)
Offered by BLINQ
Price: $41.39
28 used & new from $41.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Best shower speaker available, April 4, 2014
It's not perfect, but as shower speakers go I'm pretty convinced you can't buy much better. This is a product category that is bizarrely devoid of high-quality options - I've owned a couple now, and they tend to be somewhere between mediocre and awful. My most recent one was the Hipe (now Ivation) speaker, and while it sounded OK and I loved that all the functions had dedicated buttons, the build quality was terrible and the charging port pushed through the housing on not one but TWO separate speakers, rendering them completely useless.

This sort of thing doesn't seem like it will be an issue with my BOOM Urchin, which arrived today. It's heavy-ish for its size, feels very solidly built, is attractive in a pudgy sort of way, feels very nice in hand, and it sounds excellent considering its size (about twice the size of a computer mouse). It's also pretty loud - more than adequate for indoor use. The mounting options are great, and I was really impressed that they even included an aux audio cable and a little nub to fill in the thread mount. It feels very much like a premium product, even down to the packaging. The only part that seems like it could eventually wear out is the little trap that covers the charging port, but since it's part of the silicone cover, it can be replaced without buying a whole new speaker.

My biggest complaint is the squishy, awkward buttons. The offer basically no feedback at all, which is exacerbated by the one-or-two-second delay that I consistently experience after pressing them. There also aren't dedicated buttons for all functions. It's pretty inconvenient to triple-tap the play button to rewind a podcast, and I can't tell how I would accept a phone call if it came in, let alone make one. It's probably just a press and hold of one of the buttons, but it feels like such unnecessary faux-simplicity. Just give me a button with a phone icon on it, and back/fwd buttons - don't make me guess.

I wavered between three and four stars, mostly because of the button issue - but the overall fit and finish, sound quality, and apparent durability pushed it to four. I really like it.

BODUM 11001-01US Bistro B. Over Automatic Pour-Over Electric Coffeemaker, 1.2-Liter

2.0 out of 5 stars Cute but horribly flawed design, March 19, 2014
It's fun looking, but Bodum clearly made a lot of terrible sacrifices to achieve those looks. It's constantly ready to overflow at any moment - doesn't seem to matter what grind I use, half the time it works fine and half the time it causes coffee grounds and water to spill over the top. When that does happen, expect to spend the next half hour of your life cleaning the machine and the surrounding area.

The entire design is based on small, flimsy spring-loaded buttons that are compressed when the entire assembly is put together; that is, when you've got the filter cone and pot in place, it's supposed to open the seals up to allow coffee to drip into the pot freely. I have my suspicions about whether this is working particularly well, though. It's basically impossible to tell whether everything's open and ready to flow, so if something's sticking shut you're only going to find out after it's already dumped wet coffee grounds all over your counter.

The whole thing also just feels flimsy and cheap, which is a little odd considering the price. It's all made of brittle plastic, not rubberized or high-end feeling like it seems in the picture. I got it for $100 on the Bodum site, which I guess makes the fit and finish seem a bit more reasonable than they would at $250 like it was originally. The coffee that comes out of it is fine, no complaints there, but I've had coffee that was just as good come out of less obtusely delicate contraptions.

Stacy Adams Men's Madison Cap Toe Oxford,Oak,10.5 D
Stacy Adams Men's Madison Cap Toe Oxford,Oak,10.5 D
Price: $115.00
3 used & new from $113.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern classic, October 14, 2013
These are beautiful shoes. Simple, understated, but somehow still eye-catching. Order a full size down from your normal shoes size - I wear a 10.5, but the 9.5 in these fits me perfectly. Also note that they're relatively narrow, so if you normally buy wide shoes you might be out of luck here as I don't believe they're offered in widths.

Ivory White Satin Costume with Golden Embroidery (S)
Ivory White Satin Costume with Golden Embroidery (S)
Offered by TnT-Fashion

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice company, Poor product., October 14, 2013
After seeing the reviews, I decided this had to be the best option for my halloween costume. I'm not sure why they're receiving so many positive reviews though; The jacket is terrible.

First off, the images of the jacket displayed on this page are NOT accurate. They were likely taken from an officially licensed source - the jacket that I received had a different, ugly collar (long, fold-over collar, rather than the short, round collar that is in the photos and in the movie), was a much heavier, bulkier material and cut (it looked terrible, not a jacket that would fit anyone well), and smelled AWFUL - it reeked of that horrible toxic plastic smell.

If it were any one of these things, that would be bad enough - this is not a cheap jacket. But the fact that it's such a mediocre replica AND they lie about it with the photos is unacceptable. I'm giving them two stars because I was able to return it without question and their customer service was very polite.

Honestly, don't listen to the positive reviews. Do yourself a favor and find the official replica, that's what I did. It's a few bucks more, but it's an infinitely better jacket.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2014 12:14 PM PST

Ivation IVA-400 Waterproof Wireless Bluetooth Shower Speaker and Handsfree speakerphone for All Bluetooth Devices, BLACK
3 used & new from $56.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked, until it didn't anymore., July 29, 2012
Original review:

I received this as a gift last christmas and have used it daily, often more than once a day for approximately 8 months. I use it in the shower, then carry it with me throughout my apartment during my morning routine, and I'll often bring it into the kitchen in the evenings to use while I cook or eat. I've listened to countless podcasts and albums with it, and I've never had any problems. It syncs quickly and reliably with my iPhone 4, the control buttons work with a single push and a satisfying click every time, and the battery life is more than adequate - I would say that I have to charge it approximately once a week.

There is honestly so much that I like about this little speaker that I'm considering buying another one just to squirrel away in case of the sad, inevitable event that my current one bites the dust. It's durable, reliable, and has made every morning a little more enjoyable for me. It's a great product, one that I constantly recommend to friends.

Update:

After two failed units, I sadly have to downgrade my rating of this speaker. All that I said above is true, however the build quality is sorely lacking; probably a month or two after I wrote the previous review, the mini USB connector pushed through the housing of the speaker, making it impossible to charge and therefore useless. I was able to exchange the speaker with the company (which was a little bit of a headache but not really that bad an experience), and after they sent me a replacement I hoped that the problem would have been fixed. Turns out no. The charging port was just as delicate and poorly designed on the replacement unit, and after a few months it pushed through its housing just like with the previous unit. I don't have any reason to believe that the problem has been fixed, so I just can't recommend this product. I've since replaced it with a BOOM Urchin, which has its own quirks but at least seems competently built.

(99MO012206) Moshi PalmGuard & Trackpad Protector For MacBook Pro Unibody 15 Silver
Offered by outfitYOURS
Price: $22.95
4 used & new from $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, nearly invisible protection., June 20, 2010
I am a person who has sweaty palms. I am also a person who works on a macbook for hours at a time. previously my sweaty palms have actually caused me to wear away the anodized aluminum finish on the palmrest of my powerbooks and macbook pros. The Moshi Palmguard keeps that from happening, and doesn't add any bulk or weight; in fact it's difficult at a glance to tell that it's even there. Application was easy and forgiving. The adhesive is strong enough that it's never felt like it was moving or slipping, but light enough that i can remove it with just a fingernail.

Logitech Harmony One Universal Remote with Color Touch Screen - OLD MODEL (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Just Guy Stuff
Price: $349.99
20 used & new from $23.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Best remote I've ever owned (but not perfect)., June 15, 2009
The Harmony One is a great remote. I've owned 3 harmony remotes in the past, and this one improves on past models in almost every way; buttons click responsively but not uncomfortably, the layout is intuitive, the charger is simple and effective, and virtually anything with an IR sensor can be operated with enough setup time invested.

However, the remote is most definitely not perfect.

Why? first off the touchscreen. I don't know who it was that decided that now all gadgets needed a touchscreen, but it was a misguided instinct and it's a pain in the butt here. Expect to tap buttons accidentally, tap the wrong button occasionally, and often times miss the button you were trying to hit. a touchscreen means that if you're not looking directly at the remote at all times, there is no way to know if you're about to hit the button you want to hit. the only way to reliably operate the touchscreen functions here is to hold the remote in one hand, look directly at the screen from above, and tap the button section of the touchscreen with your other hand - so effectively, processes that were a simple tap-and-go procedure before are now an excercise in precision and caution. Hardly what I want out of a remote.

Secondly, the harmony software -- despite having improved dramatically over the years -- still has a long way to go before it's a "joy to use" as some have described it. It's basically a UI nightmare: it's completely unresizable, requires copious clicks of "done" and "back" and "next" buttons seemingly at random for even the simplest procedures, and completely disavows all knowledge of hotkeys or shortcuts - any given tap of your keyboard's "enter" key will yield no result whatsoever at any step in any process, and you can't tab between anything but form elements. It's basically like a mediocre late 90's website with a decent coat of paint.

And finally -- possibly the biggest drawback of all -- is the harmony platform's inherent imperfections. The Remote depends on sending out information to all of your components that are active in a given activity. So when you turn on an activity like "watch TV," it turns on your TV, sets it to HDMI 1, turns on your speakers, turns them to optical audio 1, and so forth. All of this works great, until something goes wrong. if your TV and speakers turned on, but for some reason you have picture but no sound, suddenly you're in limbo; hit the help button, and a strange onscreen tutorial asks questions about things you may or may not understand if you're less than technically savvy (my dad does not understand, for instance, that his speakers need to be set to optical audio 1; he only understands that he does not hear the TV). It's for this reason that I can't really recommend the harmony to people who really need it. This is not a remote for your dad or your mother in law; what it's doing behind the scenes feels too much like voodoo to anyone not intimately familiar with how a home theater works.

All of that being said, If you are technically savvy and just want a remote that will control EVERYTHING, I definitely do recommend this remote. for each of its failings, it makes up in overall fit, finish and quality. Setting it up is not difficult, it's just more time consuming than it needs to be. Being able to create custom screens of whatever buttons you want is a godsend, and as I said before the hard buttons are fantastic (button quality was a huge drawback with previous models in my opinion). The remote is comfortable in-hand and well constructed, and the IR output is strong, allowing for a good 30 degree operation angle from whatever you're trying to control. I like it and would buy another one tomorrow - Just be aware of the limitations.

Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells (Pair)
Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells (Pair)
Price: $299.00
17 used & new from $299.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Huge and awesome., December 3, 2008
I just got them, and my first impression upon getting them out of the (decidedly ample) packaging was "wow, these things are MASSIVE." They really are huge, in a way you may have to see to really appreciate; they're around 16.5 inches long and they're about 8.5 inches wide at the largest plate, and will have a pretty commanding presence in whatever room you keep them. That being said, they space they take up is relatively minor compared to an actual set with this range of weight, and it's really nice not having to stack plates or slide weight awkwardly on and off of traditional adjustable dumbbells (anyone who's done it knows what I mean).

My second thought was that I was surprised how well-designed they actually are. These guys look and feel like a pretty stunning example of modern industrial design; sleek and slick despite their size, you will likely not mind that they get looks. I've not seen previous models, but these are really a pretty space-age feeling package, especially once you turn the rubberized dials to your desired setting and lift the bells out, exposing all manner of intricate and refined-looking innards between plates that were not chosen. I really can't say enough about how nice these things are to look at (but i am a design geek, you may not be so impressed or really even care at all).

In use, they are almost as nice - dials turn with a satisfying click, they lift out of their stands smoothly and cleanly, and there is very little wobble or jingling between the plates (definitely not enough to leave me worried at any time that something is going to go wrong). The overall size of them doesn't actually feel like it reduces my range of motion, but it is something I'm always aware of while lifting, so we'll see how that works out. They slide back onto their stands without problem, and there's no awkwardness in setting them down - no waiting for a click, or shifting them to find their intended resting spot. They're then ready to have their weights reset, and you're off doing another exercise in a few seconds.

Overall, they were expensive but I feel like I got what I paid for. Recommended.

Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom Nikkor Lens
Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom Nikkor Lens
Offered by The Professional Depot
Price: $559.00
60 used & new from $254.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted, December 19, 2007
I wanted a lens that I could walk around with on vacation and always feel like I was able to get any shot. This lens does that for me. I have very few complaints - it's not 100% sharp from corner to corner all the way down the range, but it's hard to expect that from this type of lens at this price. It's super reliable, always quite sharp, fast to focus and most importantly, just gets great shots. I love it. Also, it seems that a number of issues people were having in earlier cycles - like the lens creep - have been corrected.

Canon PowerShot G7 10MP Digital Camera with 6x Image-Stabilized Optical Zoom
Canon PowerShot G7 10MP Digital Camera with 6x Image-Stabilized Optical Zoom
Offered by Folly and Fun!
Price: $649.99
14 used & new from $124.95

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, February 12, 2007
Stellar camera - for its features and it's size, there's just nothing in the same class. I wanted something that would give me better image quality and more control than an average point-and-shoot, but wasn't the size of a DSLR. That's exactly where the G7 fits in. It's a bit of a jack of all trades, and though it's not a master of any, it can definitely fake it - I do wish it shot RAW, as i enjoy post-processing, but that's the largest of my complaints. Great quality shots, easy to use interfaces, and a gorgeous camera are what I got from the G7 - I'm not disappointed.