Profile for Peas on Earth > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 94

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Peas on Earth RSS Feed (Brookline, MA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Western Chief Lighted Multi Dotty Rain Boot (Toddler/Little Kid),Multi,10 M US Toddler

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after 3 weeks., December 3, 2014
After three weeks of occasional use, the pulling handle broke off one of the boots. It's a shame. My daughter LOVED them until then, and wouldn't touch them with the broken handle. Luckily, it was still within the return period...

Taf Toys Stroll'n Roll. Stroller and Baby Carrier Activity Bar
Taf Toys Stroll'n Roll. Stroller and Baby Carrier Activity Bar

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for baby bjorn bouncer seat., December 3, 2014
This is the best Bjorn bouncer toy replacer I had had!!! I have two bouncers, one with the original toy (got used), and the other I went through various toy bars, but my kids never liked them as much as the original toy. Not true with this one - this one gets just as much affection, perhaps even a bit more, as the standard bjorn toy bar. Highly recommended!

Transparent Plum Mustard Koziol Salad Server with Utensils Incorporated
Transparent Plum Mustard Koziol Salad Server with Utensils Incorporated

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but big., December 3, 2014
It's pretty, but it's HUGE. Make sure you look at the dimensions before you buy - don't just infer them from the photo, as I did...

David Gerstein Birds of the World Bowl
David Gerstein Birds of the World Bowl
Offered by aJudaica
Price: $219.00
3 used & new from $205.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful., December 3, 2014
This is a beautiful bowl! Looks great on our wall.

Hoosier Hill Farm Grade A Pine Nuts, 1 lb.
Hoosier Hill Farm Grade A Pine Nuts, 1 lb.
Offered by Hoosier Hill Farm®
Price: $19.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful taste, and country of origin not stated!, December 3, 2014
These imply, by the name, that they're US grown. The taste was AWFUL - terrible bitter aftertaste, and the country of origin is not stated anywhere - so it's probably China. NOT recommended.

Vintage Tin Starfish Wall Hook for Light Coats, Aprons, Hats, Towels, Pot Holders, More
Offered by Mellow Monkey
Price: $11.00

1.0 out of 5 stars very disappointed, November 15, 2013
Once it arrived, the star looked, well, dirty and just plain cheap. The gentle white you see on the picture looks like ugly dust in reality, and cannot be cleaned. The whole thing also feels and looks extremely cheap. I tried to return it, but it's not free return shipping, and by the time I'd add up the cost of shipping and the time and the potential of a 15% restocking fee, it's just not worth it. It'll end up in my next goodwill pile.

Menu Dropp! Fruit Bowl, Snow White
Menu Dropp! Fruit Bowl, Snow White
Price: $54.93
4 used & new from $45.00

5.0 out of 5 stars We love this heat safe bowl!, November 15, 2013
Yes, it's *soft* - if you're looking for a rigid bowl, don't buy it. I love that it's silicone, so completely safe with heat. We use it as our pasta bowl, a safe alternative to glass with kids constantly reaching for it. It's also far easier to manage than glass because it's so light. Not for every application, but it works great for us.

Whisker Vent Odorless Litter Box System with Active Carbon Air Filter
Whisker Vent Odorless Litter Box System with Active Carbon Air Filter
Price: $150.18

3.0 out of 5 stars Updated review after trying litter box for a couple of weeks, October 22, 2013
**Disclosure first of all - I got the box for free to try from the manufacturer, following a comment I made questioning the legitimacy of the other reviews. You can see the original review and the comments exchange below. I promised an honest review once I've tried it, and this is my personal opinion**

This is a litter box with a fan built into the top. The fan works constantly (the litter box needs to be plugged in), and vents to a filter (this case) or to a window / wall opening (other options). The idea is that the fan takes case of the smelliness.

My first impression was that the fan is loud. Really loud. So I measured it. It is at 60 dB, with peaks (the noise is not smooth) at up to 72 dB. To give you a sense of what that means, you can look at this table for instance: [...] I find 60 dB with even higher peaks to be annoying. It's kind of like a loud dishwasher. For another comparison, we have a new bathroom fan in one bathroom, and an old one in another. The new one is at 50 dB with peaks at 55 dB. The old one is at 55 dB with peaks at 62 dB. So, that's a lot of dB talk to say - this was much louder than I expected from a small fan. Loud enough that I didn't want it in any room where I'd want to carry out a conversation, so I moved the box to the bathroom.

The second thing that I realized is that my cats just would not go in because of the noise. When I unplugged the box, they went in just fine. Plugged it back in, they stopped and used their other boxes. Now, my cats are 15, and not exactly spring chickens looking for new tricks. It is possible that if they were much younger they wouldn't mind, and it's possible that if they didn't have other options (other boxes) they would just deal with it. But after several weeks of trying this, I have yet to be able to get them to go in if it's plugged in. I guess they too find it loud.

The combination of these factors of course did not make me love this box. In the process, because the box is in the bathroom (where I would occasionally plug it in and occasionally unplugged it), I also tried just leaving our regular, and quieter, ceiling bathroom fan constantly on. That seemed to do the trick for smell as well, without the need to replace carbon filters at $20 each (or sacrifice a window to this, or make a hole in your wall).

I can also compare this to the litter robot - my cats' other option. The litter robot is much more expensive, but self cleans and actually does a decent job on smell. Its main plus is that it doesn't make any noise when the cats actually use it. We currently have the litter robot plus an air purifier set to low next to it, and have no smell problems. Now - the litter robot takes a LOT more space, and even more so if you're going to add an air purifier next to it (I'm putting aside costs for a second).

This is why I am giving this box 3 stars - I can imagine situations where this could be your only option to deal with smell. Sometimes, space is really constrained (so things like litter-robots are not an option), and the bathroom doesn't have a fan or is too small (so you can't just put in in the bathroom and leave the ceiling fan constantly on), and then that's all you have to work with. In those cases, this box can be worthwhile. I think younger cats would probably adjust to the noise, and if not, one could perhaps put it on a timer, so the fan switched on/off every hour say. This would still probably deal well with smell, without the constant noise. In the ideal world, the box would come with a motion sensor, and like in the litter robot, a few minutes after the cat leaves, the fan would turn on for 10-15 minutes. In an even more perfect world, the fan would stop when the cat approaches. The litter robot uses the step to do this, I am not sure what could be done here.

So, this is my honest opinion - in some cases where space is severely limited and you can live with a 60dB background noise, this will do the trick. If you have more space / detest the idea of the 60 dB background noise, I'd look at other options.

--- original review which prompted the company owner to send me one to try: -----
So, this is not really a legit review of the litter box, but just questioning the other reviews. I've noted this box, and been waiting for reviews on it before buying. None for a very long time, and then suddenly 4 of them pop up, in less than 3 weeks, two on the same day, another two two days apart, all of them roughly the same length, saying roughly the same thing. This resonated a lot with an article I read about fake reviewing. I checked each reviewer - only one of the 4 is a "verified purchasers", 3 of them only ever wrote one review, this one, and the 4th wrote this one and two others about cat books - the other two purchases were in fact verified, but this one wasn't. Some of them seem to have owned the box for a while, but only now suddenly decided to write reviews. And, their reviews look suspiciously similar to the only other one I've found online on some random site. Now, I *do not know for sure that these reviews are fake!*. But, to me, they look and smell like a spade...? And, for the record, I am talking about the reviews by kyle lashbrook, S Leduc, Ryan Sawyer, and Paul Rolling. Donno... Thoughts of others??

UPDATE: Please see email exchange with owner in comments. I will update my review, unbiased, once I have tried to the box for 4-6 weeks.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2014 7:17 PM PST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars These are gorgeous, October 16, 2013
We bought them for ourselves, and as a gift. They're just soooo elegant, and a very nice addition when serving an espresso.

UUnisex Baby Toddler Infant Non Anti Slip Slipper 3D Socks Shoes Boots Booties
UUnisex Baby Toddler Infant Non Anti Slip Slipper 3D Socks Shoes Boots Booties

3.0 out of 5 stars star be-gone.., October 16, 2013
It took my 8 months old exactly 60 seconds to rip the star off of the first sock, and another few minutes to notice the second one and promptly rip that one out too. Flimsy. Otherwise, cute.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10