Profile for Peas on Earth > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 89

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Peas on Earth RSS Feed (Brookline, MA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Vintage Tin Starfish Wall Hook for Light Coats, Aprons, Hats, Towels, Pot Holders, More
Offered by Mellow Monkey
Price: $9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars very disappointed, November 15, 2013
Once it arrived, the star looked, well, dirty and just plain cheap. The gentle white you see on the picture looks like ugly dust in reality, and cannot be cleaned. The whole thing also feels and looks extremely cheap. I tried to return it, but it's not free return shipping, and by the time I'd add up the cost of shipping and the time and the potential of a 15% restocking fee, it's just not worth it. It'll end up in my next goodwill pile.

Menu Dropp! Fruit Bowl, Snow White
Menu Dropp! Fruit Bowl, Snow White
Price: $55.87
9 used & new from $44.00

5.0 out of 5 stars We love this heat safe bowl!, November 15, 2013
Yes, it's *soft* - if you're looking for a rigid bowl, don't buy it. I love that it's silicone, so completely safe with heat. We use it as our pasta bowl, a safe alternative to glass with kids constantly reaching for it. It's also far easier to manage than glass because it's so light. Not for every application, but it works great for us.

Whisker Vent Odorless Litter Box System with Active Carbon Air Filter
Whisker Vent Odorless Litter Box System with Active Carbon Air Filter
Price: $146.31

3.0 out of 5 stars Updated review after trying litter box for a couple of weeks, October 22, 2013
**Disclosure first of all - I got the box for free to try from the manufacturer, following a comment I made questioning the legitimacy of the other reviews. You can see the original review and the comments exchange below. I promised an honest review once I've tried it, and this is my personal opinion**

This is a litter box with a fan built into the top. The fan works constantly (the litter box needs to be plugged in), and vents to a filter (this case) or to a window / wall opening (other options). The idea is that the fan takes case of the smelliness.

My first impression was that the fan is loud. Really loud. So I measured it. It is at 60 dB, with peaks (the noise is not smooth) at up to 72 dB. To give you a sense of what that means, you can look at this table for instance: [...] I find 60 dB with even higher peaks to be annoying. It's kind of like a loud dishwasher. For another comparison, we have a new bathroom fan in one bathroom, and an old one in another. The new one is at 50 dB with peaks at 55 dB. The old one is at 55 dB with peaks at 62 dB. So, that's a lot of dB talk to say - this was much louder than I expected from a small fan. Loud enough that I didn't want it in any room where I'd want to carry out a conversation, so I moved the box to the bathroom.

The second thing that I realized is that my cats just would not go in because of the noise. When I unplugged the box, they went in just fine. Plugged it back in, they stopped and used their other boxes. Now, my cats are 15, and not exactly spring chickens looking for new tricks. It is possible that if they were much younger they wouldn't mind, and it's possible that if they didn't have other options (other boxes) they would just deal with it. But after several weeks of trying this, I have yet to be able to get them to go in if it's plugged in. I guess they too find it loud.

The combination of these factors of course did not make me love this box. In the process, because the box is in the bathroom (where I would occasionally plug it in and occasionally unplugged it), I also tried just leaving our regular, and quieter, ceiling bathroom fan constantly on. That seemed to do the trick for smell as well, without the need to replace carbon filters at $20 each (or sacrifice a window to this, or make a hole in your wall).

I can also compare this to the litter robot - my cats' other option. The litter robot is much more expensive, but self cleans and actually does a decent job on smell. Its main plus is that it doesn't make any noise when the cats actually use it. We currently have the litter robot plus an air purifier set to low next to it, and have no smell problems. Now - the litter robot takes a LOT more space, and even more so if you're going to add an air purifier next to it (I'm putting aside costs for a second).

This is why I am giving this box 3 stars - I can imagine situations where this could be your only option to deal with smell. Sometimes, space is really constrained (so things like litter-robots are not an option), and the bathroom doesn't have a fan or is too small (so you can't just put in in the bathroom and leave the ceiling fan constantly on), and then that's all you have to work with. In those cases, this box can be worthwhile. I think younger cats would probably adjust to the noise, and if not, one could perhaps put it on a timer, so the fan switched on/off every hour say. This would still probably deal well with smell, without the constant noise. In the ideal world, the box would come with a motion sensor, and like in the litter robot, a few minutes after the cat leaves, the fan would turn on for 10-15 minutes. In an even more perfect world, the fan would stop when the cat approaches. The litter robot uses the step to do this, I am not sure what could be done here.

So, this is my honest opinion - in some cases where space is severely limited and you can live with a 60dB background noise, this will do the trick. If you have more space / detest the idea of the 60 dB background noise, I'd look at other options.

--- original review which prompted the company owner to send me one to try: -----
So, this is not really a legit review of the litter box, but just questioning the other reviews. I've noted this box, and been waiting for reviews on it before buying. None for a very long time, and then suddenly 4 of them pop up, in less than 3 weeks, two on the same day, another two two days apart, all of them roughly the same length, saying roughly the same thing. This resonated a lot with an article I read about fake reviewing. I checked each reviewer - only one of the 4 is a "verified purchasers", 3 of them only ever wrote one review, this one, and the 4th wrote this one and two others about cat books - the other two purchases were in fact verified, but this one wasn't. Some of them seem to have owned the box for a while, but only now suddenly decided to write reviews. And, their reviews look suspiciously similar to the only other one I've found online on some random site. Now, I *do not know for sure that these reviews are fake!*. But, to me, they look and smell like a spade...? And, for the record, I am talking about the reviews by kyle lashbrook, S Leduc, Ryan Sawyer, and Paul Rolling. Donno... Thoughts of others??

UPDATE: Please see email exchange with owner in comments. I will update my review, unbiased, once I have tried to the box for 4-6 weeks.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2014 5:18 PM PST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars These are gorgeous, October 16, 2013
We bought them for ourselves, and as a gift. They're just soooo elegant, and a very nice addition when serving an espresso.

UUnisex Baby Toddler Infant Non Anti Slip Slipper 3D Socks Shoes Boots Booties
UUnisex Baby Toddler Infant Non Anti Slip Slipper 3D Socks Shoes Boots Booties

3.0 out of 5 stars star be-gone.., October 16, 2013
It took my 8 months old exactly 60 seconds to rip the star off of the first sock, and another few minutes to notice the second one and promptly rip that one out too. Flimsy. Otherwise, cute.

The Green Earth Frying Pan by Ozeri, with Smooth Ceramic Non-Stick Coating (100% PTFE and PFOA Free)
Price: $24.97
4 used & new from $24.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, December 21, 2012
This pan is all it says it is. Beautiful eggs in no time, no sticking, no burning, and I used metal utensils in it with no problem. Very happy with my purchase.

Muk Luks Women's Classic Flip Mittens With Faux Fur, Grey/Ivory, One Size
Muk Luks Women's Classic Flip Mittens With Faux Fur, Grey/Ivory, One Size

3.0 out of 5 stars Warm, but too big for me, December 18, 2012
I don't think I have exceptionally small hands, but these gloves are too big, which means the mitten part keeps opening (also the thumb cover). It's a shame, because otherwise they are nice and warm.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed Comparison with the Samsung 3037W PTZ Monitor, December 18, 2012
NOTE: This same review was also posted for the Samsung 3037W monitor, since it's a comparison between the two!

I review here the issues that led me to choosing the SI touch over the newest samsung:

- INTERFACE-Zoom: I use caps for this one and put it first, because that was probably the most important issue for me. The time I use a monitor most (I've had one with a smaller screen for almost 2 years) is at night. At night, one doesn't want to think much. The first thing I noticed on the samsung is that it took *6* key presses navigating through the menu to toggle the zoom. Really??? Yes... At that many presses, I found the zoom feature basically useless. In the summer infant, you touch the screen to turn the menu on, and the zoom is right there - one touch. Beautiful.

- Interface-other: Generally, I found the Summer infant easier, more pleasant, and faster to navigate. For instance, the sleep option on the samsung (toggle video off/on) is a small button on the middle right. You have to feel for it in the dark. In the summer infant, it's the biggest button on the top, middle. Kinda like where you'd want a snooze, trivial to hit without even looking. Volume controls are about equivalent, perhaps a touch easier on the summer infant. Both require about 5 menu clicks to switch between cameras, but it feels easier to do with the summer infant. Both have a "scan through cameras automatically" feature. Lastly, at night, the summer infant menu lights up on the screen with big icons, in a nice blue. Very very easy to navigate in the dark. With the samsung, you're kinda feeling your way around the navigation. It's easy enough (circular with the "ok" in the center), but not as nice. OH, and as you do that, you might accidentally turn the night light on or off, because the OK button is also the night light button. I often found the night light NOT where I thought I left it (on when I thought it would be off and vice versa).

- Features-****Start-Up Tune****: The most annoying "feature" of the Samsung. If the Samsung is off (not "sleep", full off), when you turn it on it plays a quite loud start-up tune. I can't even begin to say how annoying I found it. It's the kind of tune that would wake up partner, and could also wake up a nearby lightly sleeping child. I dealt with it by never turning it off, and just using the sleep option. There's no such thing on the summer infant.

- Image quality: quite comparable. The Summer infant is a bit "sharper" and the samsung a bit smoother, but both allow you to see the baby equally well. Screens are the exact same size.

- Features-VOX: This is ONLY on the Samsung. The video will automatically come on (from sleep mode) if anything more than ambient noise is picked up. I found it not that useful - once on, it doesn't turn off again when the noise is gone, so you have to manually turn it off. I am a light sleeper, so the light of the monitor suddenly coming on in the middle of the night because of a cough for instance, and then having to turn it off, did NOT appeal to me. Others seem to like it. Perhaps it's useful in a really noisy situation, when you're unlikely to hear. But in such circumstances (e.g. hosting guests?), I can't imagine you'd have your eyes glued to the screen anyhow, and it's not like it would attract a lot of attention in daylight at least.

- Features-night light: Only the samsung has a night light feature you can control remotely. I don't care about that feature, but if it's important to you, do consider. By the way, it's easy to turn it on/off accidentally when navigating the menu, because it's the same button as the "ok" one.

- Features-talk back: Both units have that. Again, not something I use often, I'd say it's equivalent.

- Bulkiness: The summer infant is just thinner enough and smaller enough to make it feel much nicer when hand held. It's just "sleeker" to hold when carrying it around or holding it to navigate menus.

- Stand: The summer infant has that magnetic base that saves you having to unplug it every time you take it around. I have to admit I LOVE it. Both units also have a pull out stand, and again, somehow the summer infant one gives a more convenient angle of viewing and feels more stable, even without the magnetic base.

So, my conclusion: I am pretty sure there is a good chance the samsung has better reliability than summer infant, although it's hard to know since this monitor just came out. However, it's clearly feels like the summer infant is designed by people who know parents and parents needs better than the samsung people. And I decided I prefer to take my chance on reliability, for a monitor that feels easier and nicer to use, and serves my needs better - the summer infant. I should probably also mention that when my previous summer infant monitor broke (the one with the smaller screen that I am now upgrading), summer infant answered the phone immediately, and within 5 minutes they had arranged for a replacement to be mailed to me at no charge (unit was still in warranty), so I was happy enough with their customer service. That said, if you don't care about the zoom feature, bulkiness of hand unit or start-up tune, and having a night light option, the VOX feature or better reputation for reliability, the Samsung is probably a better choice for you.

Ambient Weather WS-05-X3-KIT Wireless Easy-to-Read Adjustable Thermo-Hygrometer with Three Remote Sensors
Offered by Ambient Weather
Price: $31.99
2 used & new from $28.99

4.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!! Excellent for monitoring multiple rooms (e.g. kids' rooms), December 17, 2012
I purchased this unit because we have a 2nd baby coming, and I hated our current temperature monitor, and having to go into the kid's room every time I wanted to know the state of things. Here, the sensors are small, and I can place one in every relevant room AND keep the main unit with me in the bedroom, from where I can monitor all of them.

There are no numbers on the different sensors, so to figure out which is which, I left one sensor at a time near the window where it's colder, and checked back 5-10 min later, to see which unit number showed a lower temperature on the monitor. I then marked the sensor on the back, so I wouldn't have to do it again.

They say to allow 30 minutes for the sensors to stabilize - take them at their word on this!! at 3 min, there were large differences (3 degrees) between the sensors when they were side by side. By 30 min, they were within half a degree of one another, well within. in fact below, the accuracy range of 5% stated for this unit.

The only reason it loses a star: I wish it had a back light option. To read the main unit at night, I have to use my iphone light if I don't want to turn on a bigger light. Other than that, I am very happy with it.

Samsung SEW-3037W Wireless Pan Tilt Video Baby Monitor, 2-Way Talk, Night Vision and Zoom Camera
Offered by Gimme Five
Price: $199.00
13 used & new from $189.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Samsung 3037W versus the SUMMER INFANT TOUCH Monitor, December 6, 2012
Another reviewer did a beautiful comparison with the motorola PTZ (pan tilt zoom) unit, and based on that review I decided to try this monitor, not the motorola. However, there were aspects of this monitor I was not happy with, so I also purchased the summer infant touch, and compared them side by side for a few days. Here are my thoughts following this experiment:

Comment Comments (20) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 7, 2014 6:54 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9