Profile for E. Hung > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 80

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

E. Hung RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Sigma 19mm f2.8 DN Lens (Sony E)
Sigma 19mm f2.8 DN Lens (Sony E)
Price: $199.00
2 used & new from $199.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lens for the money, April 22, 2015
Bought this lens from Signa Outlet to save $50 over Amazon and all other places. For $149, I cannot simply ask for more. The lens is very sharp once stopped down a little and it maintains a good amount of micro contrast throughout its aperture range. I bought the silver one which looks very stand out on my Sony A6000. I like the smooth metal feel of the lens barrel that has a clean look. It reminds of the aluminum alloy used on my car dashboard. The lens comes with a small hood and I don't even bother to mount a protective UV filter. Great lens for the money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2015 3:34 PM PDT

Sigma 150mm f/2.8 AF APO EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens for Canon Digital SLRs
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 AF APO EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens for Canon Digital SLRs
Price: $1,099.00
14 used & new from $850.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Warning if you are using Canon 5D3 and/or 1DX with this lens, April 22, 2015
I bought this lens from Sigma Outlet hoping to save over $250 for a refurbished one. As soon as I mounted it on my Canon EOS 5D Mark3, I realized there was a ring halo toward the edge of the frame. I could see this with my shots and with Liveview. I then tried the lens on my Canon EOS 7D, the halo was not there. So I suspected it 's a bad refurbished copy and returned it back to Sigma.

Despite of such issue, the lens is really sharp even wide open. AF is pretty snappy and I like the fact that it has a focus range limiter to allow better AF performance for a selected range. The lens build quality is top notch and I applaud Sigma for that. The lens feels very well balanced on my 5D Mark3. It comes with two hoods and a tripod mount collar. I like the lens apart from the halo issue. So I 'm planning to get a new one as soon as Sigma issues my refund. This could easily be a 5-star lens for me but I ding Sigma for their QC issue. I wasted $36 for the return shipping.

Update (5/6/2015)
So I reached out to Sigma and complained about the halo issue with this lens mounted on my 5D Mark3. As it turns out, there is a workaround by turning off the peripheral illumination in my camera. I have also found a reference to this remedy in LensRental website. Apparently this halo issue with the lens occurs on both Canon 5D Mark3 and 1DX. Unfortunately, Sigma has not published this workaround in the user manual or anywhere in their website. After disabling peripheral illumination on my 5D Mark3, the halo disappears in my shots.

As the lens is now performing the way it should be, I am adding 1 star back.

CamelBak Motherlode Hydration Pack - CML61076-UN
CamelBak Motherlode Hydration Pack - CML61076-UN
Offered by ArmyProperty
Price: $180.93
15 used & new from $169.99

5.0 out of 5 stars mother of all hydration packs, April 18, 2015
This is the mother of all hydration packs. I took it for oversea travel with cameras, lenses, and loads of crap inside the pack. I did not feel fatigue at all.

VILTROX EF-NEX II Canon EF Lens To Sony NEX Cameras Alpha A5000 7R A3000 A7 A7R A6000 Adapter
Offered by EACHSHOT
Price: $92.00
9 used & new from $92.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Only good for a few Canon lenses in my bag., March 18, 2015
Good but not perfect. Some of my lenses couldn't autofocus with this adapter on my Sony A6000. Just only a few.
With my Sony A3000, the autofocus function with Canon EF lenses is even worse.

Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter, Canon FD (Old FD, New FD & FL) Mount Lenses to Sony E-Mount Mirrorless Camera Adapter - for Sony NEX & E-mount Camera Bodies (APS-C & Full Frame such as NEX-5, NEX-7 & ?7)
Offered by fotodiox Inc.
Price: $59.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Works better than the Metabones, January 19, 2015
Worked as it advertised. The mount is very solid and the locking ring is not as loose as the Metabones adapter I have. Yet it is half the cost of the Metabones. Get this instead of the Metabones.

Sony SEL35F18 35mm f/1.8 Prime Fixed Lens
Sony SEL35F18 35mm f/1.8 Prime Fixed Lens
Offered by Willoughby's Established 1898
Price: $548.00
11 used & new from $390.00

5.0 out of 5 stars My most favorite lens for my Sony E mount body, January 19, 2015
I actually bought this lens from my local Sony store as I could not wait for Amazon 's delivery due to my oversea travel. I bought this lens for my trip to Thailand and it 's almost glued to my Sony A3000. I am surprised by its sharpness even wide open. Background separation and bokeh are nice if the subject is close. The lens is really good for portrait given it's angle field of view equivalent to 50mm on full frame. The plastic lens barrel has a solid build despite the lens is made in China. AF is very fast even on my entry level A3000 body. OSS is very quiet which is nice for taking video hand held. The price is slightly steep at original retail price given that the lens is APS-C only. I bought this when Sony had a $50 discount. So that wasn't too bad. This is a very good lens for street photography if you like the normal 50mm focal lens on a full frame format.

Sony Alpha a6000 Interchangeable Lens Camera - Body only
Sony Alpha a6000 Interchangeable Lens Camera - Body only
Price: $548.00
16 used & new from $415.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony is EVIL!, December 12, 2014
What was Sony thinking? This camera has just been released a little over a year ago and its price has dropped to a bargain level at $448 recently. When I saw this, I couldn't believe my eyes and immediately pushed the BUY button. I myself have already owned the entry level A3000 and that was another good bargain. But this with WIFI, NFC, best in class 24 megapixel sensor, and best in class frame rate? You 've gotta be kidding me. The list could go on and on and other reviewers have already mentioned some of its great features. So I 'm not going to repeat them here but focus on my perspective as a Canon DSLR shooter I always think Canon has been milking its APS-C sensor for years and the recent update over my 5-year old 7D was just a meh. The opportunity of adding a Sony came when I looked for a compact camera I could carry for those long hikes and international travels. Hauling a DSLR makes my shoulder hurts. The Sony A3000 was an answer. I have had that camera for a little over 5 months and I liked its value proposition. But in my mind, I always wanted the A6000 because it 's just a far better camera with its WIFI, EVF, and CMOS sensor. Its body shape is also less DSLR like and looks just like a rangefinder. It 's perfect for street photography with a prime lens on it. At the time I bought my A3000, the A6000 was selling for well over $600 and I wanted just to test the water with the A3000 and see how things go. Because Sony E mount body has such a short flange distance, you can literally mount any legacy lens with an appropriate adapters. I myself have a Metabones Canon FD lens adapter and it works very well with the Sony E mount bodies. If you are not into sports or wildlife, manual focus is a breeze with the Sony. All their bodies have focus peaking and magnification with one touch of a button. However, the A6000 has far better resolution on the EVF than its A3000 sibling. So that was a blessing for me as I have an aging eye sight. The tilted LCD screen is also very helpful if I need to raise my camera to shoot with a crowd in front of me. All these additional features and the price justify the A6000 over the A3000 if you ask me today. The A3000 price has dropped slightly but not as much as the A6000. $200 is a big drop forthe A6000 and I can tell you its CMOS sensor is far better than any Canon sensor at the same APS-C size. The RAW files from the A6000 have more latitude to push shadows in post without revealing any color banding noise unlike my Canon. This makes it easier for me to shoot under a high contrast situation. Speaking of which, I absolutely love the Sony built-in HDR function. The resulting photos came out very natural and you could even do it handheld as the Bionz X processor has the intelligence to do image alignment. With the A6000 fast frame rate, that becomes unnecessary unless you are making long exposures. I cannot do this with my Canon DSLR. I normally need to use ND grad filter for highly contrast scenes. But with this Sony, I no longer need to carry those ND Grad filters and the mounting bracket. That saves me some space in my camera bag. To augment this camera for street photography, I have recently acquired a Sony 35mm F1.8 and it 's a perfect match in heaven with the A6000. The setup is so compact, light, and discreet. The only thing I would complain is that the shutter on the A6000 is much louder than my other A3000. So now my A3000 has become my backup. These cameras are perfect for travel to those third world countries and unfamiliar neighborhoods. At least you don't look like a walking ATM machine.

Ain't Sony EVIL? (aka electronic viewfinder interchange lens). I am now thinking to switch some of my Canon gear to Sony. Sony has a habit of introducing new bodies every year or so. You just need to time it if you are looking for real bargains. Their bodies might be cheap, but they make that up by selling you more expensive lenses sometimes even more than the camera bodies. Their Zeiss lenses are among the best yet expensive. But you can always get away with legacy manual focus lenses if you don't need autofocus. Sony 's manual focus aid is the best in the industry IMO. I cannot even do manual focus efficiently with my Canon 5D Mark3 which is over 6 times more expensive than the Sony A6000.

Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM Lens
Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM Lens
Price: $1,099.00
35 used & new from $919.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for landscape shooters, December 12, 2014
This is my 2nd ultrawide zoom lens. The first one was an EFS 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 and I thought it was just okay not terribly sharp at the wide end. At the time, I was using that lens on my Canon 7D. As soon as I moved up to 5D Mark3, I acquired the phenomenal 24mm F1.4L II prime. For quite some time, I have been using that lens for landscape. Then I got the Samyang 14mm f2.8 for those ultrawide situations. Fast forward to about a month ago, I realized Canon had just introduced this 16-35mm F4L IS. I read the reviews and waited for the Canon rebate. It finally came. I was pleasantly surprised how sharp it is through out its zoom range. The IS is very helpful if I don't have my tripod with me. It allows me to steady my shots up to about 1/5 second. I just love it. I carried this lens to Yoesmite and Death Valley. All the sudden, this has become my go to lens in pretty much all situations. If I need telephoto, I just switch over to my 100-400mm. I don't miss the other focal length that much as I don't shoot portraits that often. For astro, I can switch to my Samyang 14mm F2.8 which is one stop faster. This 16-35mm is almost glued to my camera nowadays and I find myself using the 24mm F1.4L less often unless I need the light. I also love the new lock mechanism for the hood. No longer do I worry about the hood get knocked out when I bump into something. It has a latch that secures the hood into position. Why Canon didn't think of that before? The only complain I have is that the hood is a tack shallow, so it 's not too effective to block flares against the sun. But then, so is the hood for my other EFS 10-22mm.

If you are a Canon landscape shooter using a full frame body, I think your best bet is this 16-35mm F4L and the Samyang 14mm F2.8. This combo should be better than 16-35mm F2.8L especially the Samyang is so inexpensive now.

Gitzo Series 3 Systematic 4 Section Long Tripod GT3542LS
Gitzo Series 3 Systematic 4 Section Long Tripod GT3542LS
Offered by Central Gift Center
Price: $879.95
6 used & new from $879.95

5.0 out of 5 stars My last tripod, November 8, 2014
If you are reading this review, don't repeat my mistakes. Thom Hogan was right. I did not read his article on tripods until it was too late. Before I purchased this Gitzo tripod, I went through a couple of aluminum tripods (Manfrotto and Giottos) and they all have compromises on weight, stability and durability one way or the other. As soon as I got more involved in landscape photography, I began to realize that I needed an eye level tripod without a center column. The reason is stability. My older Manfrotto 190XPROB had shown its weakness when I was shooting the mountains in Eastern Sierra under some windy conditions. I could see pixel level blurriness from the minor vibration of the tripod due to the wind. Hooking my camera bag underneath the tripod was not a solution as the bag would swing around if not being rested on the ground. That was lesson #1. As the Manfrotto was quite heavy with the ball head mounted, I needed a lighter one for hiking and travel. Then came the Giottos VGR9255. Another mistake. The inner plastic stoppers in two of its legs broke after a short usage. Although Giottos carries a 7-year warranty, it has cost me twice on shipping. As soon as I upgraded my camera to a Canon 5D Mark3, I decided not to skim on tripods. I did some research online and narrowed down to the Gitzo Systematic 3 series. It just happened that Gitzo was having a $150 rebate until end of the year, I decided to go with this GT3542LS. I opted the 4 section legs instead of the 3 section GT3532LS because the 4 section leg version was cheaper by roughly $120 at Adorama. It 's also shorter by a couple inches when folded. This could be huge factor when packing the tripod into a luggage for air travel. Besides, I have read from most reviewers that they did not notice any difference in stability between the three section legs and the four section legs. Both has a maximum payload rated at 55 lb. So I bit the bullet and bought the GT3532LS along with a Really Right Stuff BH55 ball head to boot. Oh boy, what a perfect match made in heaven. Not only is my new tripod set up light, it 's also very stable especially without that center column. The high precision components are so impressive. And they just look like they are built to last. It is true. Most of the time, you get what you pay for when it comes to photography gear. I am really happy with this purchase.

So instead of spending one best in class tripod, I wound up spending a lot more on three tripods. Don't repeat my mistakes. This Gitzo is the one and only one tripod I will ever need.

Canon EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS STM Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
Canon EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS STM Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
Price: Click here to see our price
66 used & new from $170.00

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Canon 's best value lenses, October 28, 2014
I have just replaced my original 55-250mm mk1 with this latest STM lens and I can tell you it 's well worth the upgrade. First of all, the new STM lens resolves better even wide open. I can attest that it 's almost as good as my other 100-400L lens in terms of image quality and I hardly can tell the difference from the images captured by the two. The STM lens itself has a plastic mount which is okay to me as it 's not that heavy. I have been using my plasticy 55-250mm for many years until now and there was not a single worry from me on the lens mount. The new STM lens also has a non-rotational frontal element which can be important if you want to mount a CPL filter. Its STM motor is also a lot quieter and faster than the conventional AF motor of the old lens. Its build quality is no slough either. I think this is one of Canon 's best value lenses for the price that you pay. I am very happy about my purchase. I no longer need to haul my heavy 100-400L for birding if I want to travel light without sacrificing image quality. Just go out and get it if you are still on the fence. This lens is 5 stars for me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8