Profile for Reader > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 111

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Reader RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Second Chance at Love (The MacKenna Born & Bred Trilogy Book 1)
Second Chance at Love (The MacKenna Born & Bred Trilogy Book 1)
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not a book I'll read again..., April 27, 2014
The books starts off slow until the cheating chapter. At that point I stopped skimming and started reading every word. I was so excited to see that there was a h that had a real (albeit a little over the top) reaction to cheating. I was very excited to see what path the H and h were going to take to reconciliation. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed that there really wasn't a path, only a long separation followed by starting where they left off as soon as the h comes back to town. The story wasn't horrible, in fact, the characters were all likeable. I am just someone who likes deep dialogues in stories where infidelity is the main conflict. Aside from the initial conversations the day of the actual cheating, they don't really talk about or bring it up again. It is glossed over and the strong h turns into the mundane I'm-going-to-stay-away-from-you h while she is showing up at his house, brining his family pie and puckering up with no resistance the minute the H tries something on her. I just wish more books actually dealt with the issues instead of going for the easy resolution every time. The fact that the same old plot device was used to resolve everything only frustrated me further. ****SPOILER**** The H finds out that the h had his baby and now the h is the one begging for forgiveness. Now that both the H and the h are bad, NOW they can be together without dealing with any of the resentment, hurt or mistrust that plagues their relationship because they are even. The book had a lot of potential that simply fell short.

Marry Me Again (The Second Chance Love Series, Book 1)
Marry Me Again (The Second Chance Love Series, Book 1)
Price: $3.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Soooo...are we ever going to talk about why we divorced?, December 31, 2013
My favorite stories are second chance romances when done right. This story had a lot of things that I liked about it but there were some other things that I also did not enjoy.

As the summary stated, the H in the story decides that he does not want to be dad/husband anymore and takes off and leaves after making a deal with another man to step in and take care of his wife and kid. Up until that time he has financially supported his son, but that is it. For six years, no calls, no letters, no contact what so ever. That in itself makes me really dislike the H. But I read on keeping an open mind. Upon his return he is very remorseful. He begins to form a bond with his son and soon wants his wife back once he realizes that the guy that he had recruited to be dad and husband did not close the deal. Even though I appreciated that the H apologized, owned his behavior and promised the h not to hurt the h again, it was all very superficial. The h never really expressed her anger at the H other than with searing looks and a sentence here and there. They never really had it out which I guess as a reader I needed. It became very annoying that the H would say, "give me another chance" and the h would say "okay" and the next chapter she was back to the oh-I-don't-know. You just said yes! It was completely reasonable for her to be unsure and furious at the H but we never really do see her furious at the H. As a mom I would be livid so her lack of ire confused me. Never once did she rail at him. The other missing element was them dealing with his infidelity even thou this was the breaking point of their marriage. It wasn't even discussed until the book was at 90%. Then when it was discussed it was again a superficial hey by the way this is what happened and it was done. There was no discussion about the hurt that the deception caused nor the fact that the H just plain wanted out of the marriage, leaving many holes in the resolution. ***SPOILER*** In the end the H claims that it was all a set up and that he never had an affair with the woman. This really isn't that big of a spoiler since this fact is alluded to by the h's mother at the start of the story. Yet, this claim made absolutely no sense since the h claimed to walk in on the H and the OW and that he moved in with the other woman and lived with her for weeks after that day. SO... you move in with a woman you weren't having an affair with? And when the h "walks in" on them that act itself wasn't infidelity despite the fact that there was an ulterior motive for it? All of that should have been discussed from the very start of the H attempting to win the h back. All the feels of the hurt, feeling of inadequacy that the h had and all of the H's betrayal should have been hashed out. The H needed to truly understand the devastation that his infidelity act caused. Readers saw his remorse for leaving but I did not feel that the trust broken by his behavior or the holes in his stories were fully addressed.

On the positive side, I did like how much the H reinforced his commitment to the h throughout the book, it really was the only reason that I kept reading it. The other reviewer stated that this book was a good grovel book and that was why I bought it. There is some groveling but the lack of addressing the major issues that caused the demise of the marriage between the characters made the story a bit unfulfilling. I would give it two and a half stars.

Redneck Ex
Redneck Ex

2.0 out of 5 stars I Actually Want My H's to Love the h, December 1, 2013
This review is from: Redneck Ex (Kindle Edition)
I am always a little suspicious of a book that has so many 5 and 4 stars rating so soon after publication. The title was also another warning but alas I am such a sucker for second chance love stories that I did not wait until other reviews were published. I wish I had.

The story is not awful but I did not really care for it. That is not to say that others might not. There were a few things that kept me from enjoying this book. First, the H and h do not actually speak to each other until about a quarter of the book. That really was way too long. Those pages could have been used to put more meat in the story and better develop the H. The second thing that I could not relate to was the fact that the h is suppose to be this independent, intelligent woman and drops everything to go help her ex-husband that had betrayed her over and over again. Whatever, clearly more forgiving than I. But then the entire book is spent with her acting as a nurse, care giver, lover, etc. to an ungrateful, unrepentant H. The h even catches him flirting with other woman and the reader is suppose to believe that an intelligent female would just keep coming back for more and more? In addition to that, the manner in which the H acts when he is reunited with the h is not the way someone acts who been reunited with the love of his life after wronging them egregiously. The H is portrayed in such a selfish manner throughout the book that it was very hard for me to understand why the h had any desire whatsoever to be with him. There was a point where the h is crying, of course because of the H's actions, and he responds with asking her if he could have some of the dinner that she was making. WHAT?!! Again, the love of your life is hurt and in tears because of something that you did and you are more concerned about what's in the oven? Yeah...not a H I would want.

I think I could have overlooked some of the many romance clichés that plague this book but essentially all the reasons that I did not like it was because I did not really believed in the happily ever after that was presented. His explanation for leaving the h was weak and simplistic. When you see the H's actions after he left the h and then after their reunion the only explanation that makes sense is that the H simply did not love the h as he himself stated. The H continually showed that he was the same selfish character that he was in the past. It was almost as thought the h was groveling throughout the entire book instead of the H. The lack of growth of these characters and their inability/refusal to deal with any of the problem that caused the failure of their marriage made this an extremely frustrating read for me. Everything was glossed over. One paragraph the h is stating that she does not trust the h (really, he never gave her any reason why she should) and the next paragraph she decides to be with the H. We as readers never see the H build the h's trust again by his actions or words, we don't see the characters really talking about the hurt, anger or the feelings of inadequacy that the H caused by his past actions. Instead the issues are swept away in a pretense that they don't exists the entire book.

When I fast forward this couple five years later the H will have left the h again to marry another wife to add to the past five he already had because he discovered that he was right the first time, he really didn't love the h.

The Good Wife (A Brennan Sisters Novel)
The Good Wife (A Brennan Sisters Novel)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars If Only the H Would Have Taken More Responsibility..., October 9, 2013
I have been looking for a book to read like this for a very long time. I wanted to find a book that had a realistic view of the long term repercussions of infidelity in a marriage. This book definitely has that. The story is well written and we as readers are easily absorbed in the fictional family life that this author has created.

However, this book fell short for me in two areas. First, this book is clearly a part of a series. I had no idea when I picked up the book that the book would not be ideally read as a standalone book. Therefore, I was a little surprised by the roundabout way that we actually go to the story. I had no vested interest in the other characters therefore I ended up skimming some of the book because I simply did not care as much about some of the other characters. Lastly, I had a huge issue with the way the story effectively placed the blame on h for the manner in which her marriage was deteriorating. The h absolutely was a contributing factor to the state of her marriage. Yet, there was very little acknowledgement of the incredible degree of selfishness of the H. ***SPOILER*** The h is continually left to fend for herself and her family while the H is out (traveling, going out to bars, drinking, going out with his friends, etc.) when clearly the h needed emotional support. He is doing this during a time period where the h is an emotionally fragile state, having just buried her mother then a few days later her brother in law, just to mention some of the pressure she was under. Although I can understand the demands of the H's work, I do not agree with his sense of entitlement of still partying with his friends all the time and going to bars when he spends so little time with his family when he is not working. He completely takes the h for granted. There is a point in the book where she attempts to ask him for help by saying that she is not ok. He ignores her cries for help and tells her that she is tough and will get through it. Not we, YOU. The H is not a jerk but he is definitely self-absorbed. Not only does he ignore her cries for help but he also acts as though his time has been served doing good behavior for his affair and the h should not need any reassurances from a man who had been unfaithful to her several times (one affair, many weeks long). I agree that there comes a point where one must move on but I would imagine that it would only be normal to have insecurities come up. I think that when the H committed to stay with the h he owed her such reassurance and to also limit his partying without the h in order to give the h a sense of security in their relationship. I felt his constant partying, his indignation about his past affair and him not telling the h about his female friendship where all issues that should have been brought to deal with. More importantly was the fact that the h did not feel that she could talk to the H about what she was feeling for fear of criticism or anger. Instead, the blame was placed completely on the h inability to place the affair behind and her own lack of self worth. There was never any acknowledgement of how much the H had taken the h for granted nor how unsupportive he had been of neither her own needs nor how he should have been talking to the h and not his secret female friend.

All the characters in the story were likable and the story itself was a good attempt to create an original story of a theme that has been written many times in romance. I really did like the H. I just can't give the story anything more than two and a half stars because of the fact that I feel that the h remains as an entity to whose sole purpose is to serve the H. Though that status was earned by her own choices and actions, I felt that the lack of growth from both characters to realize the selfishness of the H made the story too emotionally one sided for me to truly enjoy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2014 8:34 PM PST

Truly Married (Silhouette Special Edition)
Truly Married (Silhouette Special Edition)
by Phyllis Halldorson
85 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Friend, Horrible H..., October 5, 2013
I really thought that I was going to like this book. Unfortunately it fell short of the expectation that I had for a lot of reasons. By the end of the book I felt that the H had wanted the other woman all along and the h was an idiot for taking the H back.

**SPOILERS** As readers we find out that the H basically cheated on the h because she annoyed him. He all but said to her "shhh, your prettier when you're quiet." Nothing changed in the relationship that told me that they were different people from 5 years ago. Just because the h was older didn't mean that she would now become interested in law and he certainly hadn't stopped being controlling with her. The h still got on the H nerves constantly. Every word out of her mouth was "sorry" even though she was way nicer about the OW than any female I know would have been. In addition, the fact that he had had a relationship with the OW before was more damming. That just told me that he never got her out of his system because he really did love her more than the h and he wanted to go back to her. In fact, he was miserable at the start of the story because his mistress turned wife had died unexpectantly. He was so broken hearted that he had not moved on. He had no problem moving on when he left the h, unlike the h who stayed in suspended animation. Nor did the H fight the h too hard when at the end of the book she declines his proposal. Rather he says something like "I did everything I could to get her to trust me" but I can't figure out what that everything was. Defending her? Ok, great. But that to me is not working on rebuilding a marriage after you had left your wife and married your mistress. Every time they would start to talk about their issues one of them would say " I don't want to quarrel" and would change the subject.

I have to say though that the thing that MOST annoyed me about the book was that he kept defending his actions saying that he never lied and that he never cheated. At about 65% it states, "...she thought of him as a cheat, liar, an adulterer....Over the years she'd come to understand that he was none of those things, just a confused man who'd found out too late, that he didn't love her." WHAT? I know that the cheating line is different for some people but making out with the OW to me...cheating. Having an emotional affair with another woman to the point where you are lying about where you are, making out with her and choosing her over your wife...flippin' cheating! He is a cheater, liar and an adulterer, all three! How could he, or she for that matter, defend his actions other than "my bad, sorry." That to me showed a HUGE lack of growth on the characters part and a guarantee that this would happen again. He acknowledges that he should have tried to save/redeem/fight for his marriage but obviously he simply did not care enough to do so. He choose the OW and now that she was dead was when he was making a play for the h. He didn't fight for her too hard when the OW was alive. He never once reached out to the h after he was found with his mistress, didn't check on the h after their divorce either in friendship or just to make sure she was ok since she had no family. Did not lift a finger to make amends. Come to think of it, he didn't really fight for her once the OW was dead either. He did drop everything to defend her but that to me made him a good friend but everything else made him a cra**y husband and H.

Game, Set, Match (A Humorous Contemporary Romance) (Love Match Book 1)
Game, Set, Match (A Humorous Contemporary Romance) (Love Match Book 1)
Price: $0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so much..., September 29, 2013
I really wanted to like this book it just fell a little short. I like that the h was a strong minded female that did not swoon at the sight of the H....in the beginning. The H was also a likeable character but there was a lot missing to this story. The H and h see each other after fifteen years and after the H had rejected the h, leaving her in pain after she asked him to stay to go be with another woman. Despite this betrayal the H pretend that they are BFF that just lost contact with each other and he never did anything hurtful. He immediately starts with cheesy lines about how beautiful she is without even talking about the betrayal or apologizing for it. It wasn't until well into them seeing each other many times (about 30% into the story) that he even addresses it with the h. It also didn't really seem to bother the h all that much. She was more concerned about him not wanting her more than just a one night stand not what a d-bag this guy was to treat a friend in this manner. It just didn't make sense to me that knowing that you had hurt someone deeply anyone would pretend that nothing was wrong nor that the h wasn't more leery of him. The h gives the H shot after shot and again and again he drops the ball but the h is always fine after they see each other again and he gives her a paragraph of placation, sometimes not even that. Disappointment after disappointment, hurtful comments after another the h continuous to forgive the H with no change in who this character really is. At the end, readers had really not seen a change in this H. He still blames other people for HIS bad choices, still takes the easy way out using money to solve his problems instead of talking them out or building trust. Somehow he ends up placing the blame on the h when it was the H that had lied to her. The h never did anything wrong except put everyone else's needs in front of her own. Even the book addressed her as a saint. So maybe it is the fact that I don't enjoy books where the h enjoys being the martyr. I don't think it is a redeemable character trait to be the person that everyone dumps on. There is a fine line between forgiveness and stupidity and this character was on the wrong side of that line. I had hope that this h would grow a spine and stand up to the H. I hoped that she would return to being the strong h from the start of the story and hold him accountable for the hurtful things that he said, for his lies and taking the h for granted but unfortunately the h starts as a strong female and as the story progresses she looses more and more of that strength. I read the book for free but I deleted it because I know it will definitely not be a reread.

Marriage And Miracles (Hearts Of Fire)
Marriage And Miracles (Hearts Of Fire)
by Miranda Lee
102 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worse books I have ever read...., September 24, 2013
The book starts off with the h going in search for her husband after he has rapped her to beg him not to leave her. I know, I know, at that point I probably should have stopped reading but nope I kept going. The h finds the "H" basically with another woman. He goes on to tell the h how tiered of her he is, how he doesn't want her any more, how much better his OW is in bed, to stop making a fool of herself and accept the fact that he has never loved her and just wants a divorce from her. Again, should have stopped reading at that point but I was thinking that the author was probably going to have some major grovel after that scene to redeem the character, at least a little, right? Wrong. The next time he sees her he acts as though he never said anything to the h, as though everything was absolutely fine. That was the first inconsistency and they just kept going from there. The next one was the h telling the H that all she wants from the H was his money and in the next breath she tells him all she wants is him to love her and I kid you not, in the next breath she is saying how much she loathes him. Pick one!!! Are you a doormat, do you have a spine or are you just flippin' bipolar? Whatever condition the h suffered apparently was contagious because the H tells the h that he care about her one minute but the next is reminder her what a d-bag he is and that he doesn't love her. Not only do the characters have inconsistencies throughout the entire book but so does the author's entire writing. The h claims that the H said that he never slept with the OW but what he actually said was that "as of lately" his only relationship with the OW was professional. The H never apologizes for the things he said or how he treated the h. He only asks her if they could try their marriage again for the sake of the baby conceived out of the rape (romantic, isn't it?). That to me apology does not make yet the h's inner monologue wonders if he means his apology. HE NEVER APOLOGIZED TO YOU, YOU !*?! Really though, who the heck knows what the author meant because NOTHING is talked about or dealt with. Big spoiler here: The miracle that the title refers to is that the H says "I love you" to the h in the end. Didn't believe it, didn't care. I can't believe how BAD this book was. Usually I try to find a redeeming quality in the writing but the only one I can find in this story was that the author spelled everything correctly. Other than that I cannot believe how bad this book was.

Home Song
Home Song
by Lavyrle Spencer
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
352 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Only Two Complaints..., September 10, 2013
This review is from: Home Song (Mass Market Paperback)
Overall, I think this story was well done. It kept my interest the entire time I was reading it. I liked all the characters in the story and really felt the H's remorse for his betrayal. By the end of the book I had become emotionally invested in the lives of all of the characters in the book.

I do have two complaint regarding the story. My first complaint is that the h ends up apologizing to the H in the end. I am so sick of how the betrayed female characters in romance books end up being the villains!!!! The H was the one to cheat on the h WHILE SHE WAS PREGNANT, then slept with the h the next night like nothing happened yet the h is apologizing to the H? What the heck?!! The h is understandably hurt and angry at the situation and deals with it as best she can. If I were to fault anyone for not trying hard enough it would be the H, not the h. Even though he did apologize to the h and made some attempts to work at his marriage, he still played the poor me card. Under the circumstances the h acted very generously especially after having so many people telling her to get over it. The H on the other hand could have done a lot more to reestablish his desire to be married to the h. That is my second issue. The h suffered a huge blow and I don't feel that the H really did anything to build up her confidence in him wanting her. The H's dad gives the H advise to "woo" the h but other than suggesting counseling, I didn't see any wooing. I guess in my book a therapy session isn't very romantic. When he met resistance from the h, he gave up and started the poor me campaign. I feel that the h deserved a lot more from the H. As the h stated in the book, I don't really think that the H truly ever grasped the degree of his betrayal. Maybe by the end of the book it could be argued that he had but because the h has such a sudden change of heart and there really wasn't any action by the H to try to win the h over, one might still question if this is going to be something that will forever be between them and that they stayed together not because the h forgave the H but simply because she did not want to loose him to his new and improved family.

Until There Was You (Hqn)
Until There Was You (Hqn)
Price: $5.38

2.0 out of 5 stars Great dad, not such a great H..., September 8, 2013
There is no point in summarizing the story since others have already done so. I will say that despite the fact that this author wrote very clever dialogues between characters, I did not enjoy this story. I usually dislike stories where the h follows the H around like a puppy dog the entire book and the h is only an after thought for the H. I have to agree with the other reviewers that called the h a "dishrag" and "just too much of a pathetic doormat." She is treated poorly by her boyfriend and dismissed by most of the book by the H. Even in the H's point of view, he thinks more about his dead wife and his daughter than the h! At some point after being told so many times that you are not wanted, don't you begin to want someone that actually wants you around? Not this h! It was just pitiable to hear the h beg the H for a relationship saying things like "I don't need much" and "give me a shot, I am worth it." I wanted a love story not some poor female that nobody loves with little self esteem begging a guy. I kept reading hoping that she would develop into a stronger character and that the H would convince me by words and actions that he actually wanted the h. A couple of paragraph and a weak 3 minute effort of making amends did not do it. I was sorely disappointed in the end. If this was true life I would give this couple two weeks before the H remembers all the reasons why he never pursued the h, why he never wanted anything to do with her or why he dumped her...repeatedly.

The Doctor Returns (Life in Eden Harbor)
The Doctor Returns (Life in Eden Harbor)
Price: $3.82

3.0 out of 5 stars Likeable Characters...., September 8, 2013
The H in this story is returning to his home town searching for a fresh start. Newly divorced, he is seeking a quiet, stable life with his daughter. Although the reason for his return was to be closer to his family, he did not anticipate how soon he would have to deal with his former girlfriend that he abandoned when she needed him most.

The H has a very hard road to travel to redeem himself after he abandoned the h when she fond out she was pregnant. I have to mention that a large part of why I liked this book was because it was not your typical weak romance h. ***some spoilers** I liked that the h didn't put up with the why-didn't-you-fight-for-me argument. She stood up for herself on that account and also when the H's daughter was disrespecting her. I also liked that she married someone else and grew to love the other person but that she also recognized the fact that she married them for all the wrong reasons. I am so sick of reading about h's apologizing for everything even though they are the ones that have been wronged!!! This was such a welcome change.

Having said all that, I did feel there was a little missing from the book. For whatever reason, I was unable to really get into the empotional space that I usually find myself in with big betrayals. Maybe because the H didn't really do anything, just apologized with a qualified sorry. It was missing some action on his part to really win me over. I would have liked to have actually seen him do things, take more responsibility to win the h over not just apologize and keep saying that he would make it up to her. Maybe I also didn't really connect more because the h was over the emotions of the betrayal. She was acting more with a sense of preservation not to get hurt rather than being hurt. She seem to have very little anger or resentment over the dismissal of the H or the fact that the H moved on with his life easily with another beautiful woman and had a family with the OW yet didn't want any part of that with her until now that the OW had moved on. I think it would only be human to have some resentment and jealousy over this but the h seem to be over it or not too bothered by it by the time the H came back. Even though the feelings were mentioned, they were glossed over rather quickly. I would have liked to have seem them deal with and talk more about these insecurities instead of some of the diabetic dialogue that was thrown in there. Her main concern was not to fall in love with him again.

Despite the lack of emotional development for the characters, it was an enjoyable read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12