Profile for Jacob Dring > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jacob Dring RSS Feed (Vienna, VA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
The Coliseum
The Coliseum
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars disturbingly good, March 4, 2014
This review is from: The Coliseum (Kindle Edition)
An incredibly visceral narrative featuring a variety of unsavory yet intriguing characters. Antiheroes would be a stretch, but perhaps each reader will distinguish their own. The action is pretty heavy and often disturbingly described. This book makes Stephen King's most twisted story look like a Disney production in comparison. The plot is pretty straightforward although there is no creature/monster (not really) whereas the summary might suggest. I believe the author's other book, The Preserve, is the better read. however, if you like horror/thriller books, give this one your time - unless you're squeamish.

Shooter / Four Brothers [Blu-ray]
Shooter / Four Brothers [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Various
Price: $12.96
31 used & new from $7.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Mark Wahlberg double-header FTW, December 24, 2013
Two of Mark's best movies, in my opinion, from an action-comedy-drama Four Brothers to an action-thriller Shooter, both with great elements of each genre. The supporting characters are equally strong, especially in Four Brothers, which offers a deeper feeling of drama bent on family-oriented revenge. Shooter is more about revenge from one character, and a greater plot on a national scale.

For this price in one Blu-Ray package, it's ideal to have.

Dredd [DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet]
Dredd [DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet]
DVD ~ Karl Urban
Price: $5.00
19 used & new from $4.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Dredd never removes his helmet, no emotion whatsoever, a bit over-the-top, June 10, 2013
I regrettably picked up this movie on RedBox because I thought it'd be an entertaining, enjoyable action flick - and, better yet, with Karl Urban. While I like Karl Urban, I enjoyed the first Judge Dredd (the only!) as a very entertaining, good action flick with some emotion between Sylvester Stallone and Armand Assante. So, I knew it wouldn't be as good or better, but figured there's no way it could be horrible.

Big mistake.

Certainly the most ridiculous part of this movie is that not once does Karl Urban never - NEVER - removes his helmet throughout the entire movie. So all you ever see is his lower face (lips/mouth, chin). That is ALL. His dialogue is perpetually monotonous and dreary, that dreadful but well-mimicked (from Sly) frown never changes, and the presence of the female costar is painfully 'acted' that it just adds to the lameness of the flick's scenario, which is no different than the mundane aspects of a cheap shooter video game.

The gore and violence is over the top but not too surprising, afterall, looks why it's rated R. People who have been bashing the movie for its excessive gore and violence and thus giving it a 1 star need to elaborate on the other horrible aspects of the movie, otherwise most people who know what they're getting (action-wise) in the movie will simply disregard your review entirely.

Despite some decent action scenes, the gratuitous and fastforward-worthy slow motion scenes remind me of Max Payne (but worse) and the fact that the emotionless STARRING ROLE never removes his helmet for even the slightest bit of authenticity the entire movie hinders me from giving this movie 2 stars. It truly deserves no more than that.
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2013 12:29 PM PDT

Mirrors
Mirrors
Price: $12.98
2 used & new from $8.86

4.0 out of 5 stars brutal and brutally melodic, amazing self-produced second album, May 2, 2013
This review is from: Mirrors (Audio CD)
After listening to their debut album (The Last Sunset) I was instantly intrigued by their lyrical creativity, crazy breakdowns, and powerful vocals. While The Last Sunset was also self-produced, as was this album, it lacked the superior production quality evident in Mirrors, therefore its drops were hardly heard and there was practically no bass in their sound at all. Nonetheless, I still got hooked on their songs My Heart In Your Hands and Read My Lips from The Last Sunset - enough so that I HAD to check out this album.

Pros: both creative and straightforward lyrics, brutal breakdowns without being monotonous or hackneyed, insane bass drops placed strategically throughout each song, impressive sound quality (especially considering self-production), clean vocals sound great and unsynthesized, screams are varied and performed awesomely (I've seen them live, the vocalist is very impressive), flow from track-to-track was done nicely

Cons: I would've preferred a little more clean vox, or maybe 1 or 2 slow songs with predominantly cleans, as clearly the band has the capability; many of the songs have a similar background sound to them, so much so that at first or second listen you might be confused as to what's what; laughably bland album cover and irrelevant album title (unlike The Last Sunset by far); I was duped when I bought it from here because the CD case was cracked and the insert was ridiculously plain (track listing, band title and album title in all the same font, no additional graphics or credits, acknowledgements, or lyrics), but it's the only outlet I could find.

As you can see, the cons are pretty trivial.

This being the band's second album and truly their first with this impressive sound quality/production 'value', we can only expect amazing greatness in the near future (they're soon to release a new album this summer, as is). I look forward to it, too, with as much energy as they give me with each song and to know that I'm not alone. For a European band their vocalist's English is great and coherent, even when screaming (well, sometimes), and their fan base is massive both overseas and American.

***

Prologue - dubstep fade-in to heavy instrumental for great intro, just wished it lasted longer (8/10)
Story of a Stranger - the song that hooked me for this album, generally awesome on all aspects (10/10)
When Silence Breaks - solid song, love the all-powerful bass drop at its 'interlude' (8/10)
Infest - great song with some well-performed cleans here and there, a rare solo, and the greatest drum-hook I've ever heard(7.5/10)
The Storm - melodic intro leads into one of the album's fastest-paced songs (6.5/10)
The Chosen Ones - took me some time to let this one sink into me, it's one of the heaviest tracks on the album (7/10)
Lights Out - decent song with a brutal bridge and a surprise-dubstep breakdown that actually complements the song (7/10)
December - emotionally powerful song with some clean vox that work really well, another rare solo, and intense screams; fades into melodic riff that flows into next song perfectly (9/10)
Mary - short-lived melodic instrumental that is both beautiful and sad, shows that these guys DO have a heart, and some versatility to be built upon for future albums (8/10)
Deadline - amazing song with great clean vox and powerful screams for a generally irate song (9/10)
One Bullet Left - probably their heaviest song on the album, but aside from a slightly catchy chorus it doesn't do much for me (5.5/10)
Jnana - halfway through this melodic instrumental come slow heavy riffs and faster-paced melodies that retain its beautiful sound until it builds up to lead into next song perfectly (9/10)
We Are the Wall - introduced perfectly after an interlude from previous song, this one is heavy and catchy to boot, with a comical touch on the bridge (7/10)
Paralyzed - memorably brutal opening, but aside from that it's not all that impressive; features a 2-minute slow melodic outro to end the album (6/10)

***

in short...GET THIS ALBUM, IN WHATEVER FORM YOU LIKE!!

support this incredible band, they have a promising future

Nike Women's Dri-Fit Cotton Cushioned No Show Socks 3 Pair - Women's Shoe Size: 6-10

4.0 out of 5 stars great socks, wrong product description, April 30, 2013
These are women's only, for one. Size-wise, they still manage to fit me (barely) but the logo color on the socks are light gray, light blue, and bright pink. With shoes on obviously it's not noticeable, but them them off it's very prominent and should be addressed in product description. When I first started buying these, they were as is - men's with black logos. Now they are women's with this variety of pink/gray/blue logos. Otherwise, great actual sock with breathability and the heel tab is perfect for cushioning against harsh upper heels of certain shoes.

Dead Years
Dead Years
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars heavy, melodic, uplifting and sad, best TOTA album yet, March 15, 2013
This review is from: Dead Years (MP3 Music)
I am a late fan to this band, but this album made me a fan instantly with "Americans." That song hooked me brutally, as the song had a hard-hitting sad touch to it and spoke to me. The lead guitar work is amazing, from that song to others, another winner being "A Damn Moment." Lyrically, this album is on point and very creative; a lot of their messages seem to be political, but without being overwhelming. "In Wolves," for as brutal as its breakdown is (reminds me of "Power Hawk" in all its awesomeness), is actually an uplifting song. The clean vocals aren't synethsized and sound great; I've heard this band play live before, and the vocalist's performances are impressive. They have such great stage energy and it transmutes powerfully through their studio recordings. I can't wait for their next album. This is a definite buy. My top favorite songs, in order, are: Americans, Power Hawk, A Damn Moment, Kill'em With Guidance, and In Wolves. The others are also played well and are far from 'bad,' but the aforementioned make the album for me.

ART OF THE DRAGON PB: The Definitive Collection of Contemporary Dragon Painting
ART OF THE DRAGON PB: The Definitive Collection of Contemporary Dragon Painting
by J. David Spurlock
Price: $20.11
10 used & new from $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars great variety of artwork and artist bio's, September 10, 2012
Finally! just what I've been looking for all these years. A comprehensive collection of clear and vivid dragon artwork along with bio's of featured artists and their interpretations of the dragon element. My only complaint would be how the two-page spreads sometimes rupture a key point of the chosen image, although I know that it isn't exactly easy to get around this.

Monocyte
Monocyte
by Menton³
Price: $36.17
41 used & new from $8.45

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing art and profound story, September 10, 2012
This review is from: Monocyte (Hardcover)
Despite what other reviewers have said in regards to the story being very puzzling and nonsensical, I decided to take my chances with what I already knew would be well worth my money so far as the art is concerned. Not only was I right, but I was pleasantly surprised by the profundity of the story, the style in which it was written, the wording, the poetic fluidity, and the format of the dialogue. All in all, I know I definitely got my money's worth, especially considering the original price was $60 and I got it for under $30. Keep in mind that the artwork is very dark, gothic some would say, with pieces of borderline nudity here and there, some gruesome scenes, and a mini-story irrelevant to Monocyte at the end depicting some macabre things. Monocyte is definitely an adult fiction, with guest artists providing some pages for their own depictions of Monocyte as well as original pieces.

The Hunter
The Hunter
DVD
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars great film, albeit slow and a tad dull, August 15, 2012
This review is from: The Hunter (Amazon Instant Video)
Admittedly, the only reason I really gave this movie a shot was because of William Dafoe. And, of course, it being about hunting in one aspect or another. Although the film progressed a tad slowly, it had decent elements of suspense and drama to keep me hooked. During the last 30 minutes, you get to ingest what really made this a 4-star movie to me. While I may not watch it again, it was entertaining enough to make me write a review (I very seldom spend time to write a review for a bad movie). I might suggest this to others, so long as they know they aren't going to be watching some action or fast-paced thriller, which the title alone and cover may insinuate. Instead, prepare for one man's journey to get a job done searching for something rare, and more than just an animal.

Escape
Escape
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars good music even to a non-Christian, June 7, 2012
This review is from: Escape (MP3 Music)
I'm agnostic, but my friend is Christian and Christian rock is about all she listens to nowadays. She suggested I check out "Anthem of the Lonely" by Nine Lashes. It is now among my top 100 favorite songs of all time. What really caught me was the opening riffs and drumming, but the voice was unique too. So, I backtracked and listened through this album. I was seeking heavier stuff because I'm more into heavy music, and "Anthem" was a perfect mix of both. However, with several listen-throughs, I came to like a good half of this album.

"Cancer" is definitely my favorite from ESCAPE. The chorus is very powerful. And even for being directly about Jesus, even I find it potent. That's gotta say something right there. Other favorites are "The Fall", "Escape", "Words of Red", "One and All". The bridge to "The Fall" is what hooked me on that track. "One and All" is catchy but a bit too cheesy for heavy replay on my part. Lyrically, Nine Lashes is a decent enough band to have attracted a non-believer.

I say good music is good music. While "Anthem of the Lonely" will be my favorite Nine Lashes song by far, with "Our Darkest Day" coming in second, for their first album I give this band props for ESCAPE.

Page: 1 | 2