Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for Tom Murry > Reviews

Browse

Tom Murry's Profile

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tom Murry "Forwhatit'sworth" RSS Feed (Knoxville, TN)

Page: 1 | 2
Fujifilm XQ2 Digital Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Black)
Fujifilm XQ2 Digital Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Black)
Offered by Idaho Camera & Adventure
Price: $319.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Full Featured Camera That's Ideal For Hiking And Other Outdoor Stuff, March 31, 2016
I wanted a small camera with advanced features - primarily for hiking. I tried several brands (Sony, Nikon, Panasonic, Cannon) with varying degrees of success, but none really did the job. Then I tried the Fujifilm XQ2. It's cheaper than the others I tried, so I wasn't expecting much - but I was really surprised. I shoot mainly in aperture priority, do lots of close-up work (mainly wildflowers), use exposure compensation a lot, change from spot metering to evaluative metering frequently, like to use bracketing modes (exposure, film modes, dynamic range, etc.), and want a camera I can stick in my pocket when climbing over rock and stuff. I don't use a tripod - even for close-ups - so I need good anti-shake features. And I want to be able to switch all these modes and features without going through a complicated menu system. I want buttons on the back of the camera that I can push to do all this stuff. I also want to focus manually using a screen that is viewable in sunlight. Focusing is very fast and color balance is better than any camera I've used. The film modes are unique to Fuji - letting you emulate several of the classic film "looks" in a digital mode - such as classic chrome. The XQ2 does all of this - and much more. You can verify its features by downloading the manual from Fuji and reading it. You can also ask me a question if you'd like.
This camera can also be used as a point and shoot - with excellent results for both stills and video.
I don't know how well it does inside in low light - haven't tried that yet.
Everyone has an opinion about the camera they use and like (or don't like). Sometimes it's the camera and sometimes it's the photographer. Sometimes it's both.
BTW, I banged it against a big rock the second time I used it. Didn't hurt it at all.
I've included a few pictures.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Uncle Lee's Tea Organic Green Tea, 100-Count Box (Pack of 4)
Uncle Lee's Tea Organic Green Tea, 100-Count Box (Pack of 4)
16 used & new from $19.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Great seller and product, August 11, 2015
Great product, excellent service!

Ricoh WG-4 GPS black 16Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 3-Inch LCD (Black)
Offered by Electronics Basket
Price: $361.69
5 used & new from $201.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, fast shipping - couldn't ask for more!, April 6, 2015
Exactly as advertised. Thanks

Fire HD 6 Tablet, 6" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers, Black
Fire HD 6 Tablet, 6" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers, Black
Price: $69.99
8 used & new from $37.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Limited Choice of Apps, December 5, 2014
I bought the Kindle HD6 mainly for travel - I use larger Android tablets (not Kindle brand) when not traveling. After trying to download some apps from the Kindle store that are essential for me when traveling - and finding that Amazon SELLS these apps - and that they work on some Kindle Fire models but NOT on the HD6), I've decided to return it. MY other tablet has access to the full Google Play store and I'm just too used to having a REAL choice in apps to be locked into the Amazon world only.
Other things I didn't like:
Every time you turn it on you see an add from Amazon.
You can't install the Nook or Kobo reader apps.
You can't install Moon Reader (a really great third-party ereader app).
You can't install the YouTube app.
You can't install the Chromecast app.
You can't install the Chrome browser.
It's too heavy for it's size - heavier than my larger tablet.
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2016 1:28 PM PDT

Poe: A Life Cut Short (Ackroyd's Brief Lives)
Poe: A Life Cut Short (Ackroyd's Brief Lives)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $13.99

1.0 out of 5 stars No Pictures, April 2, 2014
This is a good, short biography of Poe, but it has a major problem: The print edition contains many pictures of people and locations discussed in the book - but the Kindle edition does not have these pictures. And as Alice (in Wonderland) said, "What good is a book without pictures?"
The answer, in this case, is NOT MUCH.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Case, December 16, 2012
Case fits Panasonic GX1 Perfectly.
Reminds me of well-made camera cases from the 1960's - very nice styling. Color is also quite nice.

All the King's Men
All the King's Men
Offered by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Edition is NOT The Noel Polk Edition (Thank God), December 11, 2012
First and foremost: The Kindle edition of All The King's Men is not the extended version edited by Noel Polk. If you've never read All The King's Men this is good news. If you've read it once or several times, it's still good news. This is the originally published version from 1946 - not the version that renames Willie Stark as Willie Talos.
Okay, if I could take two books with me to a desert island, the first book would be All The King's Men. The second book would also be All The King's Men, in case I lost the first book. I think it's that good, but that's just my opinion and it doesn't count for much. Some people hate it; they say it's long and that it rambles and waxes poetic and has lots of philosophy in it. They're right. Some people love it for the same reasons. But there is this about it: It is full to the brim and overflowing with life. It tells a fictional story of people that lived over 75 years ago - and it could just as well be talking about people that are alive today. You will find yourself in this book and you will know yourself better if you finish it. What more can you ask?

Simplicity: Essays
Simplicity: Essays

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Much Substance - Just Two Guy's Opinions, October 7, 2012
I applaud these guy's goals - but these essays are about what I'd expect from a junior high school creative writing class. They're poorly written; offer opinions with little or no justification; and ramble all over the place. Maybe it's just me - but I'd require lots more justification than is contained in this little book to make such a radical change in my life.

Backgammon (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Backgammon (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Price: $0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Play Correct Backgammon Rules, December 1, 2011
Beware of this game - it doesn't play by correct backgammon rules!
Specifically, in cases where pieces are placed such that one piece is blocked from moving, but another piece can be moved twice (for the total of the two dice), this game will only move the piece once. It's hard to describe, but if you are familiar with backgammon at all, you will know what I'm talking about. What it amounts to is that if the numbers on both dice can be used in any manner, then they both must be used. This game doesn't do that - and this makes the game basically unusable. I would give this game zero stars if I could. It should be removed from the Amazon Android store until it is corrected.

iRiver Story HD Digital EBook Reader WiFi (U.S. Version)
iRiver Story HD Digital EBook Reader WiFi (U.S. Version)
Offered by Dream Deal
Price: $99.99
6 used & new from $58.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Reader With Lots Of Options, July 31, 2011
I bought the iRiver Story HD a couple of days ago, after reading mixed reviews about it. I was pleasantly surprised by it's design and features. Some reviews complained about the brown back (awful color, easily scratched), little plastic buttons (hard to push), and general sluggishness (slow to download, slow to load). I found none of these to be true. I own a new Kindle and a Nook Simple Touch - and the Story competes with them quite well. It does have a very nice screen and the selection of books is the best of any eReader. Also you can read many different format books, so you aren't as limited as you are with some eReaders. Plus, you can use a standard SD card with it and you can also change the battery. The wireless access to Google Books is a real plus - it's the first dedicated eReader that has this access. If you're considering an eReader it's definitely worth a look.

Page: 1 | 2