Profile for Nancy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1052

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nancy RSS Feed (CA)

DVD ~ Hillary Swank
Price: $12.87
36 used & new from $7.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Find Someone Who See You, May 23, 2015
This review is from: You're Not You (DVD)
I am pretty sure that I cried like a baby from the piano scene on. I have never seen a Hilary Swank movie that I did not love and this is no exception. She has a way of taking on a character and playing it so fully that you are there with her throughout. You feel her pain and heartbreak. You feel her hope and love.

ALS is a horrible disease. It robs a person in their prime and you see the light slowly dim. Hilary Swank plays Kate a classical pianist who has been diagnosed with ALS. Her previous caregiver has not worked out so Kate hires Bec a local college student who has a track record of failing at everything she attempts. Bec is a mess, but Kate sees her, something that Kate feels has been missing from her own life and marriage.

Stuck in this downward spiral of illness and regret the two form a fierce bond that enables each to give to the other what is missing.

Hilary Swank took on this role and she played it perfectly. She did not try to dress it up and put a pretty bow on top, she played it to show the devastation that it is to both the sufferer and the family who is there to witness it.

Emmy Rossum, Josh Duhamel, Jason Ritter, Marcia Gay Harden, Francis Fisher and Loretta Devine all played phenomenal roles in the movie.

Grab a box of tissues and get ready for an emotional roller coaster.

Earth to Echo
Earth to Echo
DVD ~ Astro
Price: $11.61
65 used & new from $1.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Pair with E.T. or Goonies, May 19, 2015
This review is from: Earth to Echo (DVD)
The multiple camera angles and jiggling may be troubling for some. There are many quirky perspectives that might be agitating to younger children and from time to time, you might wonder if you have a defective disc, but do not worry, that is what is supposed to happen.

The filmmakers are showing this from the viewpoint of three young teens and a tag long girl-crush who are filming their last day together before the boys are separated forever due to a construction project that is ripping up their neighborhood.

For an unknown reason, all of the cellphones in their neighborhood have started to display a strange map and on their last night together, they have decided to set out on an adventure to find out where the signal that they have received leads. Little do they know, but all points eventually lead home – not just for them, but for Echo too, their little mechanical robotic friend.

An excellent family movie night suggestion with friendship and never leaving someone behind as the main themes. If there was cussing, I never heard it. There might have been a couple euphemisms, but nothing that I would find to be offensive.

If you want to make it a marathon night, pair this E.T. or Goonies.

The Case of the Sin City Sister (A Divine Private Detective Agency Mystery)
The Case of the Sin City Sister (A Divine Private Detective Agency Mystery)
by Lynne Hinton
Price: $11.77
22 used & new from $9.13

3.0 out of 5 stars She is trying to put too much into this book., May 19, 2015
I am still not one hundred percent sold on this series, the bones are there, but the delivery is all wrong.

This story begins with Caleb Alford entering the Divine (pronounced Devine) Private Detective Agency in search of a long lost relative but soon that plot is taken over by Sister Evangeline’s sister Dorisanne who has suddenly gone missing but that story is spiked with a third plot involving Epi Salazar and his needing the Captain, Eve’s father and owner of the Agency, to come out to his property to help him look for gold.

Let me back up, if you have not read the previous book, Sister Evangeline has been a member of the Our Lady of Guadalupe Abbey in Madrid, New Mexico. Ever since her last visit with her father, where she helped him solve a murder, she has been having second thoughts about remaining at the convent. She is drawn between the two worlds and has been praying for divine intervention. The agency has fed her spirit, engaged her mind and fulfilled her in a way that has been missing. Maybe a leave of absence will help.

Returning home, she is once again helping her father with agency business when her wild child sister Dorisanne disappears and Eve, with the help of her father’s ex-police partner Daniel head out to Las Vegas to find her.

The story is convoluted and at times jumps to conclusions with no real substantiation. For a nun that claims that she has been sheltered, she seems to know more than she should. One minute she is naïve, and the next appears to have cat like instincts on how to recognize people, find clues or get out of tricky situations.

There were a couple of things that really bothered me. One, Lynne Hinton should know the difference between polygamy and bigamy; and second, I have never known a hospital to have the morgue on the third floor. Though that sounds minor, I was really distracted from the rhythm of the book.

In the end, I think the author tried to put too much in here. The missing great-grandfather that was mentioned in the beginning was somewhat forgotten thought out most of the book, by the end, I had to go back to the beginning and recall who Epi was and the whole love thing with Daniel was ridiculous to the point that it sounded like a last minute add in.

I really want to like this series, but my patience was really being tried.

Love You More: A Dectective D. D. Warren Novel (Detective D. D. Warren)
Love You More: A Dectective D. D. Warren Novel (Detective D. D. Warren)
by Lisa Gardner
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
299 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhere in the middle it lost its forward momentum, May 17, 2015
This book lost me somewhere in the middle. It lagged and did not show enough forward momentum for me to stay fully engaged. As a fan of this genre, I enjoy when little crumbs are dropped throughout the book, but that seemed to be missing.

This is a break off novel from Lisa Gardner’s D.D. Warren series. The new character of state trooper Tessa Leoni is being introduced and the reader is thrust into her life on the night of her husband’s murder and her daughter’s disappearance. Told in alternating chapters between Tessa and D.D. Warren, the lead investigator, the reader learns who Tessa is, who Tessa was and why her husband Brian Darby had to die.

Duel perspective books can lead to confusion but that was not so with this book. The reader discerns early on that Tessa knows more than she is letting on about the abduction of her daughter and her husband’s death, but still there are no crumbs for the reader to follow down this winding path. It is not until the end of the book when Tessa has her “ah-ha” moment and the reader witnesses her desperation to find her daughter.

Maybe it is me, but I like my mystery and suspense novels to have nice little bows on top. This book does not. I cannot say that I like Tessa – the lying vigilante that she is was not a character that I could cheer on. I see that this is the first in a series and I will eventually give the next a chance only to see if there are any redeeming qualities to Tessa, but I am hesitant.

Ice Breakers Cool Blasts Spearmint Chews, 0.8 Ounce (Pack of 6)
Ice Breakers Cool Blasts Spearmint Chews, 0.8 Ounce (Pack of 6)
Price: $14.01
6 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An Intense Flavor Burst, May 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Though the packaging states that they are chews, I would not suggest that you start out this way unless you have the teeth of the Incredible Hulk. Let the small square sit on your tongue for a couple of seconds prior to chewing. Then get ready for an intense flavor burst. Not unpleasant, but you will need to be prepared for the first time.

I also suggest that you do not drink a cold beverage right after this chew since you will experience brain freeze not unlike what you can get from ice cream.

This Cool Blast Chew is a better alternate to gum when you are in a work situation and need a quick something between your last swig of coffee and a face to face with a client. The plastic container is easy to stash in your pocket or pack so you will have no excuse for awful coffee breath.

Every Fifteen Minutes
Every Fifteen Minutes
by Lisa Scottoline
Price: $17.48
78 used & new from $9.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Layer Upon Layer - This Book Was Amazing, May 11, 2015
This review is from: Every Fifteen Minutes (Hardcover)
Of course, this book had me guessing the whole way and of course, I got it wrong. By the middle of the book, I was sure who the sociopath was. The voice that was introduced in the first pages and kept rearing up throughout the chapters. One character was too obvious and I knew that Lisa Scottoline would not let me down with something that simple, but as the book went along a new contender appeared. Of course, that person would make an interesting adversary, but no, I was wrong again. By the end, Lisa gave the reader a one-two punch that had me wondering what I had missed.

It has been awhile since I have read a Lisa Scottoline novel and now I am wondering what has taken me so long to get back to her. I have enjoyed the books written with her daughter, but her series and standalones have not made it back on my radar until now.

This book was amazing. Layer upon layer that has been heaped on Dr. Eric Parrish, chief of the psychiatric unit at Havemeyer General Hospital, would bury any man, but his training as a psychiatrist has engrained in him a precise way of handling life’s situation. Now his perfect world is crumbling and he must face it head on. He is in a battle with his ex-wife over custody of their seven year old daughter, he has been called in to consult on a case with a dying grandmother and her 17 year old grandson, a sexual harassment case has been brought against him, a teenage girl has been found murdered, there are financial shenanigans at the hospital, upset psychiatric patients and their families, a hostage situation at the mall, conspiracy charges, a fire, a new woman in his life, etc. I would call this another week in the life of Eric, but this is too much for anyone to endure.

This book grabs the reader from the very first pages and does not let go until the end. Which I thought had ended a couple of chapters before it did, only to read a couple more and wondering why the end was dragging on. It was not dragging, Lisa was just allowing the reader to catch their breath before the final crushing blow.

Death Runs Adrift (The Gray Whale Inn Mysteries)
Death Runs Adrift (The Gray Whale Inn Mysteries)
by Karen MacInerney
Price: $11.68
58 used & new from $3.78

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Whimsey and A Little Mindless Diversion, May 10, 2015
There are a few storylines going on here so if one is not to your liking you have a couple more to choose from.

Natalie Barnes runs the Gray Whale Inn on Cranberry Island. When she is not taking care of her guests and friends, she is planning her wedding to local artist and Sheriff John Quinton. Recently, there has been a hiccup in their wedding plans but that pales when Derek Morton’s dead body is found. There is some strange goings on and it all seems to be tied to marijuana that has recently been found around the island.

Add to that, Natalie has two guests that are on the island investigating the dead of a minister whose bones have recently been discovered. One of the guests is a distant relation to this priest and it turns out that he himself seems to have been tangled in some interesting activities.

Cranberry Island is a unique place where the locals look out for each other, but each seems to have a unique piece of the newest mystery puzzle and it is up to innkeeper Natalie to sort it all out. The stories are simple and from time to time farfetched, but that is what they are designed to be, a little whimsy and a little mindless diversion from your day. The writing is a slightly frustrating with repetition within the same paragraph and a couple continuity issues, but this series is designed for fun and if you do not let the flaws distract you, you will enjoy visiting with Natalie and her friends.

Rose Gold Rhodium Plated Sterling Silver "Take My Heart And Make It Yours" Bracelet and Necklace Jewelry Set
Price: $35.03

4.0 out of 5 stars An Ideal Gift, May 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For the price, this is a nice set. I do agree with previous reviewers who stated that the bracelet was not as thought out as it should be. The small heart does not have enough weight to stay in place and tends to flip over showing an unfinished backing. Making the heart a solid charm would have been a much better idea.

The necklace is very appealing. The rose gold pendant with silver chain allows it to be worn with a variety of outfits from everyday simple to a dressier night out. The writing on the necklace, "Take My Heart And Make It Yours" is adorable without being too obvious and bothersome.

Overall, a nice set perfect for gift giving that would ideal for any young woman in your life.

Gray Mountain: A Novel
Gray Mountain: A Novel
by John Grisham
Price: $17.43
418 used & new from $0.04

3.0 out of 5 stars Where is Grisham going with this?, May 6, 2015
This review is from: Gray Mountain: A Novel (Hardcover)
Almost 400 pages and an anticlimactic ending. By the end, I was wondering if John just got bored and decided to put us all out of our misery.

In 2008 during the financial collapse, attorney Samantha Kofer is given the choice, either be terminated from the Wall Street firm that she is currently with or take a one year nonpaid sabbatical at a nonprofit. Out of curiosity, she heads to Brady, Virginia in the heart of Appalachia. Thus begins her indoctrination in Big Coal, Big Lies and real people with real problems.

Her background in Real Estate law did not prepare her for the daily problems that enter the legal aid clinic and Samantha is hitting the ground running. She is trying to draw the line between what is legal and what is in the best interest of her clients. Those lines get a bit murky when coal companies choose to hide documents.

What Sam gets during her time at the clinic is a crash course in humanity. What she chooses to do with it will not surprise the reader. You could tell from the first twenty percent of this book how the story would play out. There is a surprise or two and a couple of harsh realities, but still this book is only slightly to Grisham’s usual standard of writing. I do wonder if this was supposed to be a legal thriller or John Grisham’s personal attack on the coal industry.

Since the ending was so blasé, I am questioning if this is a standalone or if Grisham has further plans for Samantha and the Gray Mountain Legal Clinic. More could have be told of this story so I will see how Grisham wants to play this out.

Jack of Spades: A Tale of Suspense
Jack of Spades: A Tale of Suspense
by Joyce Carol Oates
Price: $17.00
53 used & new from $11.89

4.0 out of 5 stars An Homage to Edgar Allan Poe, May 4, 2015
I have never read a Joyce Carol Oates book before, I had no idea what I was getting into and if this book is any indication of what her past works have been, I will tell you that this author perplexes me.

Throughout the entire book I could not tell you who the most peculiar person was, was it Andrew J. Rush who goes back and forth between using the first person narrative but yet refers to himself in the third person a split personality? Was he an alcoholic battling his demons? Was he demented all along and just happened to find an alternate personality that was able to write novels that he paralleled to better known authors.

Was Irina, his wife an accomplice to his darker half? Did she stay in the background to view from afar the demise of her husband? Did his sons back away or was Andrew J. Rush unapproachable even to his own family?

Then you have C. W. Haider who set this whole macabre dance in motion. I do not know where to begin with this character, was she truly gifted but battling her own psychosis? I am sure that this character alone could have a group talking for hours.

Up until the very end, I was not sure if I liked this book that read to me as an homage to Edgar Allan Poe, or if I was terrified to let go once I was inside the mind of Andrew J. Rush. What I do know is that as Andrew J. Rush stepped to the end of the diving board, all I could think was “Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting …”

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20