Profile for K. Smith > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Smith RSS Feed (the west)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Finding Me: A Decade of Darkness, a Life Reclaimed: A Memoir of the Cleveland Kidnappings
Price: $9.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Michelle is so inspirational, June 26, 2014
May she have joy and peace the rest of her life. She deserves it. I hope the profits help her have many more opportunities to live her life the way she wants to.

A Widow for One Year: A Novel
A Widow for One Year: A Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, go ahead and read it., January 4, 2013
It's been years since I've read a John Irving novel. Yes there are a lot of references about breasts and sex but that is kind of what the story is about, in a way. The characters in this book think about sex and have various hang-ups about it. It was an enjoyable read overall especially if you love how characters who seem randomly dropped into a story later end up being a big part of the story. Alway unexpected.

Zeitoun
Zeitoun
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars People's lives are fluid, not static, October 7, 2012
This review is from: Zeitoun (Kindle Edition)
I had just delivered a healthy newborn when post-Katrina flooding hit New Orleans. I was very troubled by the media reports, especially with waning pregnancy hormones. The thought of what the people of New Orleans were going through made me physically ill, especially since I had visited N.O. only 6 months earlier. I read this book on Kindle because 7 years later I'm still interested in New Orleans. I was there in March and found very few reminders of what had happened in 2005. I have always had Muslim friends in my childhood so I found it interesting as well to read about the experiences of a Muslim family in the South. There were almost three story lines to follow. One story line was about being a converted Muslim in the U.S. and dealing with family members who don't understand the faith. Another was about how to prepare and react to imminent acts of God. I loved reading about how Zeitoun considered his own survival and how to best help others without putting himself at risk. The balance between heroism and stupidity is also a strong theme. The part about what happens after that will be interesting to those who've considered what would happen if we lost control of our police and military. Many have now read the recent reports of Zeitoun's relationship with his wife and his arrest record. What has happened in 2012 doesn't change what happened in 2005. People cannot be categorized as "good" or "bad." I'm not excusing or condoning any behavior but to reject the book based on current events is to miss out on the opportunity to learn about human nature. The author's training is in journalism where it is important to maintain objectivity over your subject matter. A lot of hard work went into researching this story and the author should be commended for his hard work as well.

You Are My Little Bird
You Are My Little Bird
Price: $10.69
58 used & new from $2.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely lilting, November 6, 2009
This review is from: You Are My Little Bird (Audio CD)
I've exposed my 4 year-old to a lot of great kids music and this is one of her all-time faves. If she's in her playroom, this is the CD she always wants to hear. I'm not as big a fan of the songs with child singing, but my daughter seems to like all of the songs. She refers to the CD as "Liza Jane" since that is the most memorable song. If you like good folky music, and don't like cheezy kiddy music, this is a gem.

I Am Invited to a Party! (Elephant and Piggie)
I Am Invited to a Party! (Elephant and Piggie)
by Mo Willems
34 used & new from $2.28

4.0 out of 5 stars Hope you're good at voices, August 29, 2008
I laughed out loud the first time I read it. After the 3rd or 4th time, I just couldn't get into it any more. Maybe because my daughter isn't reading it herself yet, athough it shouldn't be a problem to memorize. I think it would be more enjoyable if you are good at giving the two characters distinct voices.

The APHA Complete Review For Pharmacy (Gourley, Apha Complete Review for Pharmacy)
by Dick Gourley PharmD (editor)
36 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The best for studying at the appropriate level of depth, June 11, 2008
I teach pharmacy at a medium-sized private college of pharmacy and see my students pouring over the review books every year. I believe this one gives students a level of depth that is similar to the NAPLEX exam itself. So many books I see give you these crazy hospital-based scenarios that NAPLEX would never expect. The focus of the exam is minimal competency and this book really does a good job at hitting the points that every pharmacy student should know. Things like why you shouldn't give aspirin to children with a cold, etc. Other books seem to scare the students to death unnecessarily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, July 21, 2007
Remember how much fun it was to roll around using a very smooth office chair? This is similar but on a toddler level. Not only does my almost 2 year-old daughter love to roll around and go fast with her scooter, she likes to push her stuffed animals around on it too, although they have a more difficult time with falling off. She doesn't seem to mind. Costly but well worth it for the entertainment value and quality. We own just about everything Svan makes for kids (high chair, table and chairs) and they never disappoint.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Would be great if the plastic top didn't keep breaking, July 21, 2007
We bought 3, yes 3 of these bottles and they worked pretty well for a while until they started suffering injuries from being dropped. The first couple of times the plastic spout on the top broke off a chunk, which was pretty easily rectified by filing down the sharp plastic edge on the top. Now the spout was just a little shorter. Then, our green one suffered a major blow after fall where the plastic cap had a large crack 3/4 of the way around the top causing it to leak all of the time. The purple one then fell and the spout completely broke off making it unusuable. We're down to one which has also suffered a crack in the stop but is not leaking too excessively yet. If the manufacturer is reading this, please put some more work into making the plastic cap as durable as the bottle. We loved these bottles cause our toddler (20 months) could open them without our help, but now will likely have to switch to Sigg which is much more expensive and we are now doubtful that our almost 23 month-old can open them.

Sleepy Places
Sleepy Places
by Judy Hindley
61 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, May 21, 2007
This review is from: Sleepy Places (Hardcover)
I checked this book out from the library for my 20 month-old and she really likes it. I probably like it more than she does because there is a lot of humor only a parent could appreciate. The scenes of the kids sleeping upside-down, sleeping in a pile of couch cushions or sleeping rolled up in a rug are great. I also like the kid kicking back with a frog in a pond. Very creative writing and illustrations. I'll be looking for more by this author and illustrator.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best bibs ever!, December 18, 2006
We needed some plastic coated bibs once we started solids and started with those super stiff plastic ones from Babies R Us. The stiff bibs were great for keeping her clothes dry when she would keep her bib off of her high chair. We've got a Svan high chair (the best!) that has a pretty small opening for the kid's torso, so a stiff bib that you are constantly stuffing in there is such a pain. Also, when cleaning, if you got the back (fabric) side of the bib wet, the bib would be cold and wet for hours. The bumkins bibs can be washed thorougly with soap and water in the sink and then hung up. They will be totally dry by the next meal! They are so soft that our daugher doesn't mind wearing them. They do not get in the way and stay nicely tucked (assuming our daughter doesn't pull the bib up to look for "bib goodies" in the pocket). We bought 2 sets and could easily use more. They can also be washed in the washing machine (no dryer but they air dry super fast).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3